Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is SCA fighting similar to real fighting? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next 
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just to gently stir the gumbo pot a little... regarding the whole idea in SCA of cutting through a mail haburk (or breaking bones through it or causing hydrostatic shock or whatever) this is some footage of recent HEMA events with live steel, it gives you an impression of the relatively limited amount of damage a sword actually does if you take away the sharpness of the point and the edge in spite of hitting very fast and hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr9Mtc4kveA
(watch for the sparks... and the disarm at 7:58)

here is a guy from my group fighting at the Swedish tournament last week
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kJyRVtG4e0

The protective gear they are wearing is basically a gambeson, a fencing mask, gloves, and a few light pads. The Poles wear leather aprons. Assuming say, riveted mail, I don't really see a sword causing any real damage through the armor, going around the armor of course is another matter. One thing about the Russian / East European videos, whatever their flaws, they do give you a somewhat enhanced idea of the effectiveness of armor, beyond the cliches we are used to from popular cinema (armor as very permeable uniforms for bad guy mooks). And they do some pretty large scale events in Eastern Europe, they aren't all as small as the ones shown.

But the point the SCA makes is well taken, it's not the same thing running an open battle with 2000 people vs. holding a HEMA tournament with 50 people (fighting one at a time) who all have 5 or 10 years of Martial Arts experience. But we can and should all learn from each other and there is nothing wrong with challenging each other on a friendly level.

Part of the reason the HEMA people can fight with steel with relative safety and relatively limited gear, is they are using swords based on Renaissance federswords, which were designed for (more or less) friendly tournaments. I think all of us, WMA /HEMA practitioners, re-enactors, SCAdians, BUGURT etc., can benefit by contintuing to examine old practices to see where they can be improved, and whenever possible to look at historical sources for "historical solutions to historical problems", because back in the day they in fact did do a lot of play fighting and sport-fighting, at all levels of society. And those folks were smart. Real smart.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your thoughtful and respectful comments. The steel blunts used in WMA are similar to the steel blunts used in SCA Cut and Thrust, where minimal armor is used too and injuries rarely occur. The reason for this is two fold. First, a certain amount of control is expected. Second, there is less mass at the tip of the blade in training blunts just so people do not get hurt.

You will notice that in the videos you posted the most of the attacks are from the arms only.
Patter v Chod video: .46, .56, 1.10, 1.12, 1.35, 1.37, 1.46... even 2:00 which has a large rotational cut has no hip behind the cut. The same can be said for the swordfish video. The camera is further away so I can not see the same level of detail on most of the shots but look at .40, .58, 1:00... all those cuts are from the arm and would be completely ignored in SCA armored combat (good shots in SCA cut and thrust). In unarmored combat those shots would be effective. In unarmored combat I might arm the shots too because just arming is faster and has less of a tell.

The other issue to consider which is more significant is that medieval swords designed to oppose mail had almost parallel edges with significantly more mass near the edge of the blade. The "flick of the wrist" shots seen in the videos will not come as comfortable on a 4 to 6 lb greatsword with parallel edges as they will from a longsword with a tapered edge. A medieval arming sword weighed about 2.5 to 3 lbs and had a point of balance up to 8 inches down the blade. That is a completely different from the typical cut and thrust sword usually used in training. That taper of the blade makes a world of difference in what you can easily do with the sword and how it will hit if you get you body behind the blow.

Gen 2 and Badger Blades make steel blunts too. These tend to have a blade mass more in line with what you will find on a medieval sword. You almost never see them used in WMA or SCA Cut & Thrust... because the hit like real medieval swords.

In summery, you are correct that a cut from 15th century longsword will be ineffective against mail. Tests show that even thrust are of little value. They break only one ring, if even that. That is not the weapon that we are simulating in SCA armored combat.

Note: Jean, I do realize that in your last paragraph that you seem to be getting to the same conclusion regarding the training swords used in WMA. It just did not seem to reconcile with your first paragraph.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This topic reminds me a lot of the whole creationism vs evolution debate. One side looks at the facts and tests their hypotheses, whilst the other side already has their answer and tries to find specific facts that support it. The fact is, HEMA is about reconstructing historical methods of fighting as accurately as possible. It constantly evolves as we learn more as a community. The SCA is about recreating a fantasy version of the middle ages for adults to role play in. IMO they have nothing to do with each other. And no amount of retro-fitting SCA techniques made for rattan bouts under SCA rules onto historical weapons is going to change that.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
This topic reminds me a lot of the whole creationism vs evolution debate. One side looks at the facts and tests their hypotheses, whilst the other side already has their answer and tries to find specific facts that support it. The fact is, HEMA is about reconstructing historical methods of fighting as accurately as possible. It constantly evolves as we learn more as a community. The SCA is about recreating a fantasy version of the middle ages for adults to role play in. IMO they have nothing to do with each other. And no amount of retro-fitting SCA techniques made for rattan bouts under SCA rules onto historical weapons is going to change that.

I think you are on to something there... but my analogy is a bit different. I would say some people study historical texts the way the bible is often studied. They pick up it up and read it not realizing that they are reading a translation from an text that is not the original and is out of context by thousands of years. In fact, it was compiled from various writings over a long period by different people with different concerns at the time. I have seen some word for word translations and they could be interpreted to mean something completely different then what is the commonly accepted English translation. A great deal of extrapolation is required. Some lines are focuses on while others are are ignored. I once read a verse from early Germanic translated verse where Jesus is a warrior king and Peter is a fierce fighter. Some people read the bible and get a message of peace while others get a message of war.

The historical fighting texts that you mention cover a very short period in history, 14-15 century, where people are either in full plate or completely out of armor. Furthermore, those texts seem intended for duels rather then combat. The period that the SCA armored combat covers is where people are using either mail, leather or layers of cloth as armor. They are not naked and they are not in plate. Now it just so happens that a lot of the stuff that has come out of the SCA happens to be similar to what you see in some of the texts. Some basic ideas of defense and offense apply. Probably because the way people move has not changed all that much since they wore mail and swung swords.

Find me some texts that cover the details of sword fighting from the 10th, 11th and 12th century and we have something to talk about. Otherwise, you are insisting people should load their single-shot muskets according to how the instructions say a machine gun should be loaded a century later. That is a very interesting exercise... imagine if you had no idea how caplock rifles worked and were used in the American Civil War and only had the instructions to the Thompson Sub machine gun and a few basic sketches of how to hold and aim it.... Do you think you could figure out from that alone how the rifles were used in the civil war? How much do you thing you could even figure out of how to effectively use the Thompson based on a few sketches and basic instructions.

... and yes I am a evolutionist.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Tsafa wrote:

Find me some texts that cover the details of sword fighting from the 10th, 11th and 12th century and we have something to talk about. Otherwise, you are insisting people should load their single-shot muskets according to how the instructions say a machine gun should be loaded a century later.

But I'm not the one who is making the claim SCA "fighting" is like the historical combat styles of any era, you are. You tell us all how it is. Tell us how techniques used in the SCA are replicated in period artwork, or were initially developed with period defences in mind. Let us know specifically the effects of a wrap hit on historically accurate gambeson, aketon and mail targets, with a historically accurate weapon.

If this was a case of the SCA using weapons and armour that replicated period examples as best as possible, and scientifically trying to approximate the fighting styles of the period through a system of constant evolution, then yeah, I'm sure the HEMA community would be interested in your feedback. But I personally have never seen anything that remotely suggests that is the case in the SCA.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:

But I'm not the one who is making the claim SCA "fighting" is like the historical combat styles of any era, you are. You tell us all how it is. Tell us how techniques used in the SCA are replicated in period artwork, or were initially developed with period defences in mind. Let us know specifically the effects of a wrap hit on historically accurate gambeson, aketon and mail targets, with a historically accurate weapon.

Here you go.

http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/images...&d.gif

http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/images...&b.gif

http://www.medievaltymes.com/courtyard/images...&d.gif

Observe the Knights using their swords to strike each other through mail and armor. It is historical art. Any questions raised regarding the accuracy of these images could also be applied any historical images you use to base your beliefs on. You are now in a position where you accept all historical evidence on its face value... or you open up all historical evidence to question.

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are you serious? WTF?!

Ok mate, I bow to all your points. Wrap hits go straight through armour, especially if you are a biblical hero.

Ergo, this:

is an excellent approximation of this:

Laughing Out Loud[/img]
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ok... so like I said earlier, in SCA Heavy List we are all "assumed" to be in Mail regardless of what we are wearing. Just like in a HEMA tournament it is usually "assumed" that you are unarmored regardless of the fact that you are actually wearing a modern fencing mask.

Both sides allow of some armor inaccuracies so people don't actually get hurt. I would not want to get hit in the head with rattan wearing a mail Coif any more then you probably want to get hit on the head with a steel blunt wearing nothing Laughing Out Loud

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Tsafa wrote:
ok... so like I said earlier, we are all assumed to be in Mail regardless of what we are wearing. Just like in a HEMA tournament it is usually assumed that you are unarmored regardless of the fact that you are actually wearing a modern fencing mask.

Both sides allow of some armor inaccuracies so people don't actually get hurt. I would not want to get hit in the head with rattan wearing just a mail Coif any more then you probably and to get hit on the head with a steel blunt wearing nothing.

Another straw man.

We aren't going to agree on this. Like I said before, it's like the evolutionary debate; nothing scientists can prove will convince some people that the world is older than 6000 years. You may like to think sca bouts approximate historical fights, but you haven't supplied any evidence. There are no historical manuals for the 12th century or whatever period you recreate, but even retrofitting later established principles onto earlier weapon systems has more merit than simply saying, "we don't know for certain, but this made up stuff is probably pretty accurate". Particularly when its made up by people with little to no access to historically accurate weapon systems or defences.

For the most part, modern accountants and IT workers play fighting with rattan sticks wearing cardboard and plastic armour have as much in common with period warriors as my son playing with his toy swords in my backyard does.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
We aren't going to agree on this. Like I said before, it's like the evolutionary debate; nothing scientists can prove will convince some people that the world is older than 6000 years. You may like to think sca bouts approximate historical fights, but you haven't supplied any evidence. There are no historical manuals for the 12th century or whatever period you recreate, but even retrofitting later established principles onto earlier weapon systems has more merit than simply saying, "we don't know for certain, but this made up stuff is probably pretty accurate". Particularly when its made up by people with little to no access to historically accurate weapon systems or defences.

Except that some groups ARE doing that. Especially with greatsword combat. Your starting to see SCA greatsword fighter no longer just starting off in a bad aber for example. And even bits and pieces of I.33 is showing up and people here seem genuinely interested in the scottish sword and shield works that Mr. Teague was nice enough to send me here. The main issue is that the game rewards some bad habits that isn't consistent with armored combat...and even with these bits coming in, the SCA won't be changing that. Course it doesn't stop some local groups from changing the rules and seeing where that leads and what changes.

Quote:
For the most part, modern accountants and IT workers play fighting with rattan sticks wearing cardboard and plastic armour have as much in common with period warriors as my son playing with his toy swords in my backyard does.

This comment along with your mocking tone at the picture of Bill is quite offensive and doesn't really help your point. It is this elitest attidue that makes SCA people who may otherwise learn some HEMA along with the SCA fighting not do it.
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:

Except that some groups ARE doing that. Especially with greatsword combat. Your starting to see SCA greatsword fighter no longer just starting off in a bad aber for example. And even bits and pieces of I.33 is showing up and people here seem genuinely interested in the scottish sword and shield works that Mr. Teague was nice enough to send me here. The main issue is that the game rewards some bad habits that isn't consistent with armored combat...and even with these bits coming in, the SCA won't be changing that. Course it doesn't stop some local groups from changing the rules and seeing where that leads and what changes.

Some SCA fighters are doing HEMA, good for them. I have no doubt that the more realistic their ruleset the more the HEMA techniques will help them. That doesn't qualify those techniques and fighting styles derived through and for the SCA medium as historically accurate however.

Quote:
This comment along with your mocking tone at the picture of Bill is quite offensive and doesn't really help your point. It is this elitest attidue that makes SCA people who may otherwise learn some HEMA along with the SCA fighting not do it.

I'm not sure how my position is elitist. My tone wasn't intended to be mocking, rather incredulous at Bill's reference to the Macejowski Bible justifying SCA techniques as historically accurate. I don't believe SCA "fighting" has anything to do with martial arts or HEMA, I'm not going to apologise for that. Just like I don't believe paintball represents modern combat very well either. You may think differently and in the end its pretty much a moot point, none of us are going to use a sword for real. So just do what makes you happy. Wink
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:

I'm not sure how my position is elitist. My tone wasn't intended to be mocking, rather incredulous at Bill's reference to the Macejowski Bible justifying SCA techniques as historically accurate.

It shows some very important points. First Medieval art was not fictional... even when it was. Consider the King Aurthur stories. It does not matter how historically accurate the stories were.... the important thing is that medieval people believed in those stories and by the 15th century considered them the ideal model of Chivalry. Many Nobles made a point of being as Chivalrous as possible. So what may of started out as fiction became realistic. This is an important concept to understand in order to understand the medieval mind set. The Macejowski images show knights using swords and targeting mail and helmets. It tells you how the swords were used. The effect of actually cutting through might well be an idealized glorification... but the swords and the targeting have to be correct otherwise the people looking at would not be able to relate to it.

Quote:
Just like I don't believe paintball represents modern combat very well either.

I am a Certified NRA Instructor. I use Air Soft pistols and rifles frequently to teach people how to hold and aim real firearms while in the classroom. The plastic BB's are accurate enough so that I can get a fair assessment if they are lining up the sights properly and squeezing the trigger in a controlled manor so they don't loose their sight picture. When we go to the range, they already know how to shoot accurately from the toy gun training. It saves on the cost of ammunition too. The US Army has been playing laser-tag for years.

Quote:
I don't believe SCA "fighting" has anything to do with martial arts or HEMA, I'm not going to apologise for that.

The discussion is not about trying to convince you or anyone who has already made up their minds. A lot of people browse these forums. Most are not even members. I don't want them to see your opinion only. All the negativity, exclusivity and elitist-ism here actually helps me get the message out that I want to. I could not do this without you. Thanks Big Grin

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't want to get crossed up with the SCA vs. WMA debate, I have some questions here with a few specific points.

Bill Tsafa wrote:
Hi Jean,

Thanks for your thoughtful and respectful comments. The steel blunts used in WMA are similar to the steel blunts used in SCA Cut and Thrust, where minimal armor is used too and injuries rarely occur. The reason for this is two fold. First, a certain amount of control is expected. Second, there is less mass at the tip of the blade in training blunts just so people do not get hurt.

You will notice that in the videos you posted the most of the attacks are from the arms only.

I think it may be an illusion that these are 'light flick of the wrist' cuts, most of those are very hard, I guess you haven't seen any of this live. More to the point, you don't need to swing a sword like a hammer. I could post some cutting videos (and I'll do so if you like) but I'm sure you have seen them. You can cut off someones arm with most of those "arm" cuts and half-way through them with the rest, with a sharp sword... assuming the target is not covered by mail. If the target IS wearing mail I don't think you are going to cut through it with any type of attack. I'm not going to go through those videos second by second as you did but most of those cuts are actually to the head or torso or thighs, I think about 1/3 were to the hands or forearms. It's not always obvious. But we do aim at the forearms as much as possible since they are an excellent target and a good way to end any real fight. They are also rarely armored before the 12th Century.

There actually used to be an issue about 3 or 4 years ago in the HEMA world, some people were worried about quick flicky wrist cuts which may be the source of your meme here becuase there is very little of that in the fencing footage. Some people were winning tournaments with hand cuts and other people were worried that tournament fighting would devolve into that and wanted to ban it. Others of us, myself included, pointed out that this would be a problem in a real duel too, because trust me, you won't just shrug off a 'flick cut' from a sword like a Brescia Spadona. Better technique proved to be the solution. People started using their guards properly, not exposing their hands in wide movements, cutting faster and using proper absetsen and versetsen (displacements) the way they said to do it in the fencing manuals. The result was the number of these kinds of cuts in matches declined precipitously . People learned how to protect against them and how to punish them. Right now there is a similar issue with one-handed cuts aimed at the knee, it's seen as kind of a 'cheap' way to score points in a tournament.. But there are ways of ruining somebodies day when they try that, the solution is to apply the historical techniques and that is already starting to work.

There is a myth that I think maybe springs from role playing games or movies or computer games, that you can 'shrug off' a light blow from a sword and that the really heavy blow is what counts. When you are dealing wtih sharps and not totally armored, which I believe is the assumption for the SCA heavy combat warrior (incomplete armor coverage) you really can't afford to do a real hard blow "from the hip" even though it has a tell. If the opponent can see your telegraph he or she can cut you where it hurts, getting cut is always to be avoided. And if he can cut you he can also throw you, or put you in a joint lock, or disarm you, or stab you in the face or pommel strike you to the neck. All of this can and does happen in a 'real' fight if you don't have rules to prevent it.

Quote:

The other issue to consider which is more significant is that medieval swords designed to oppose mail had almost parallel edges with significantly more mass near the edge of the blade. The "flick of the wrist" shots seen in the videos will not come as comfortable on a 4 to 6 lb greatsword with parallel edges as they will from a longsword with a tapered edge.

What six pound greatsword are you referring to? Do you mean a 16th Century zweihander? What era are you talking about exactly?

Quote:
A medieval arming sword weighed about 2.5 to 3 lbs and had a point of balance up to 8 inches down the blade. That is a completely different from the typical cut and thrust sword usually used in training. That taper of the blade makes a world of difference in what you can easily do with the sword and how it will hit if you get you body behind the blow.

I have a replica Albion Constable, which is exactly the type of 'pointy' 15th Century type sword you are referring to (in fact on the smaller end of the spectrum, it's hardly a beast like the Brescia Spadona), and I also have a cervenka greatsword and a Gen II Viking sword. They all cut roughly the same, I can cut through a pork shoulder or a roast with just my arm, using exactly the kind of cuts we use in fencing (a false-edge zwerchau, for example, which is a standard opening cut). The Constable actually cuts better than the others but they all work, I can even execute these cuts with a $20 machete. None of the weapons (including the relatively point-heavy viking sword) has the "muscle" to stop somebodies heart through mail and a gambeson, any more than they could be through the plate armor in those Russian videos, even using poll-axes.

Quote:

Gen 2 and Badger Blades make steel blunts too. These tend to have a blade mass more in line with what you will find on a medieval sword. You almost never see them used in WMA or SCA Cut & Thrust... because the hit like real medieval swords.

No, I think you are wrong, you won't see them used in HEMA because they don't really handle like real swords, are too stiff for safe fencing, and because we don't fight with sharps. I own a Gen 2 sword, I don't know about Badger Blades I've never used it. But I'd also add, swords used for re-enactment are generally designed to be much thicker and heavier than historical blades in order to stand up to repeated beating against other swords, helmets, and shields without being damaged. Other than the flexibility which is designed to make it safe for thrusts, I think an albion Meyer or Lichtenauer are among the most realistic blunt swords you can buy today.

Quote:

In summery, you are correct that a cut from 15th century longsword will be ineffective against mail. Tests show that even thrust are of little value. They break only one ring, if even that. That is not the weapon that we are simulating in SCA armored combat.

Are you aware of any tests indicating that 13th Century or 11th Century swords are effective against mail? Because everything I've seen indicates the opposite. In fact I suspect the pointy blades are designed to poke through mail (even inside one link) in a thrust, which can at least actually cause some injuries.

Quote:

Note: Jean, I do realize that in your last paragraph that you seem to be getting to the same conclusion regarding the training swords used in WMA. It just did not seem to reconcile with your first paragraph.

I think you missed my point. Yes we certainly don't use swords designed to hurt us, we don't use sharps and we use swords that are flexible so we can thrust relatively safely, just like with a Darkwood Armoury rapier. If we used stiff swords it would be very dangerous. But I do not believe, nor have I ever seen any evidence, that a real sword from any era, whether a katana or an Oakeshott type XI arming sword, will cut through mail or make a cut cuts will kill men wearing mail armor with a gambeson and a helmet. If you do have such evidence I'd be glad to see it because I will learn something.

J

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 9:02 am; edited 3 times in total
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This thread is very reminiscent of the 31 page monster titled SCA which began 2 years after this thread.

The fact that WMA, SCA and other practitioners are very passionate about their hobbies should be self evident. The quantity, length, and (for the most part) quality of the replies are proof that we love these crazy, time consuming, physically challenging and expensive hobbies of ours. We must remember that, with the exception of a very few instructors, these are our hobbies.

Garrett L. Hammonds in June of 2007 wrote:
I was just thinking on this the other day, i was wondering if there is any actual connection to real Western Martial Arts and SCA fighting or if it is just loosely based, if anyone knows anything about this please tell me!?!

It is my understanding that WMA schools study a particular set of manuscripts in order to breathe life into a lost, deadly art form. This is undoubtedly a vast and noble undertaking.

The SCA, of which I am a member, started out as a small group of friends throwing a theme party in Berkeley, California back in 1966. It has grown into a large international nonprofit with 31,391 current members. As you can imagine, there are probably 31,391 different opinions on how historically accurate the SCA should be.

From my point of view there has been an organic evolution over the decades. Rattan combat has proven to be safe and allowed vast numbers of people to capture a little piece of the thrill of the sword strike. Many people within the SCA desire more; more accurate armour, more accurate camps, more accurate garb and more accurate weapons. I believe this is why we see experimentation with steel weapons, jousting, and tournaments with specific, historically accurate, requirements.

My opinion is that SCA combat was not historically based originally; it was a Berkley party in the ‘60s. Wink As evident in various threads many forums, more and more members are yearning for historical accuracy. A shift to learning from the fighting manuscripts of old can be seen.

Will the SCA ever become an organization that requires strict adherence to historical fighting forms, armour and clothing? I hope not. There needs to be room for individuals to have fun, learn, explore the past and just plain old party with your friends. There are already activities, groups, and guilds within the SCA for those that want a more historically accurate experience. There are also other living history groups and WMA schools for those who want to learn more.

Kindest Regards,

Scott

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would just like to add one thing

HEMA / WMA groups do not own the Medieval and Renaissance fencing Manuals. In fact, we found out about them largely due to the SCA. It was SCA rapier people in the 1980s and 1990s who first started passing around photocopied fragments of DiGrassi and Marozzo that is a big part of what got the HEMA ball rolling. To this day, many of the prominent HEMA researchers are actually current or former members of the SCA, Hugh Knight, Grege Mele are regulars on this forum. In Europe and in some parts of the US, there has been a conscious effort to distance HEMA from reennactment in general and the SCA in particular, just to have a fresh start. But this doesn't mean we are in opposition. It is because of the SCA that we have darkwood armoury rapiers to practice with. it's because of the SCA that we had a lot of the armor and helmets and other kit we used in the early days of the HEMA revival. It's because of SCA researchers that we know a thousand of the details that we needed to understand the context of the era, and it is because of the SCA that many of us even first thought of fighting with swords for fun (this was certainly the case in my life).

In the early days of WMA, certain groups and individuals tried to keep their discoveries secret, with the aim of making names for themselves as fencing experts. What actually happened is that some of these people contributed to giving HEMA a bad name.

But also from the get-go, other groups and individuals have also moved in the opposite direction, gradually realizing that it would only be by openly sharing ideas, and making public access to translations and scans, by getting as many people involved as possible, would this ancient art truly be revived. No one person could have figured out the basics of Lichtenauer or Fiore in one lifetime. But working together and using the internet and getting together to fight and try out ideas thousands of people all over the world have actually substantially done so now. We have learned that in order to become good fencers, we have to be humble instead of arrogant. This is a characteristic of all the best HEMA fighters today.

People in the HEMA world today have provided every scan, every translation, every image, and nearly every interpretation of every ancient manual we have found so far to the entire world online (and they are finding two or three new ones every year right now). Interpretations, drills, and hundreds of hours of sparring and tournament matches are posted for public scrutiny and criticism on youtube. HEMA groups are springing up all over the place, from Israel to Mexico to Turkey, there are an estimated 10,000 practitioners world-wide today. We are now holding open tournaments available to all-comers from any martial arts or re-enactment background in 10 countries with a bare minimum of rules. The SCA is part of this. In addition to guys who have published translation and interpretation books, people in the SCA rapier (or cut-thrust sword) world are doing leading edge research in late era fencing techniques. SCA heavy-combat fighters are starting to use HEMA techniques and reading period manuals such as the I.33 which I think is a "win-win".

Is it possible that some of the SCA rules established in 1966 could stand to be revised in light of all the things we have learned about swords, armor, and Medieval combat since then? are all the rationalizations, rules and cultural baggage that have come into the SCA since that time 100% ideal?

I would respectfully suggest maybe not, but the original spirit of a theme-party involving dressing up in armor and fighting for fun with rataan sticks is fantastic and immensely appealing to me, as is the more serious impulse to reclaim our historical heritage. The ancient fencing manuals are an important, one might even say critical part of all that, just like the oakeshott typology and this webssite. "We" don't own any of it, they are for everybody, please enjoy them and learn from them and lets keep the party going.

Ok enough ranting I'm going to go turn on Monty Python and drink some mead now!

J

EDIT: removed references to Christian being in the SCA

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:

There actually used to be an issue about 3 or 4 years ago in the HEMA world, some people were worried about quick flicky wrist cuts which may be the source of your meme here becuase there is very little of that in the fencing footage. Some people were winning tournaments with hand cuts and other people were worried that tournament fighting would devolve into that and wanted to ban it. Others of us, myself included, pointed out that this would be a problem in a real duel too, because trust me, you won't just shrug off a 'flick cut' from a sword like a Brescia Spadona.

I have no problem with flick of the wrist cuts in unarmored combat. After all, in armored in unarmored combat swords evolved into lighter rapiers and smallswords... very quickly... because it was enough. The issue I brought up the flick of the wrist cuts is because it was argued that those people don't seem to be getting their bones broken in the tournament. That is when I point out the flicking and the less blade mass at the tip of the sword.

Quote:

What six pound greatsword are you referring to? Do you mean a 16th Century zweihander? What era are you talking about?

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_spotxii.html

XIIa.4 From the Royal Armouries. The blade alone is 43 inches. The whole sword is probably 53inches. It is within the SCA time period. I have seen other large swords too in museums. There is a huge one at the Met Museum from the Crusading period taken as a war prize by the Arabs.

Quote:

I have a replica Albion Constable, which is exactly the type of 'pointy' 15th Century type sword you are referring to (in fact on the smaller end of the spectrum, it's hardly a beast like the Brescia Spadona), and I also have a cervenka greatsword and a Gen II Viking sword. They all cut roughly the same, I can cut through a pork shoulder or a roast with just my arm, using exactly the kind of cuts we use in fencing (a false-edge zwerchau, for example, which is a standard opening cut).

Cutting meat is is different then breaking bone through mail. Try a Type X. You will probably find it very uncomfortable.

Quote:

No, I think you are wrong, you won't see them used in HEMA because they don't really handle like real swords, are too stiff for safe fencing, and because we don't fight with sharps. I own a Gen 2 sword, I don't know about Badger Blades I've never used it. But I'd also add, swords used for re-enactment are generally designed to be much thicker and heavier than historical blades in order to stand up to repeated beating against other swords, helmets, and shields without being damaged. Other than the flexibility which is designed to make it safe for thrusts, I think an albion Meyer or Lichtenauer are the most realistic blunt swords you can buy.

Again, you are trying to use swords designed for unarmored combat as the standard measure. The 90% of WMA as practiced today is based on unarmed combat dueling systems. The details of the fighting are accurate for that exactly that. You will notice the quick transition to rapiers and small swords were no armor is involved because striking faster beats hitting harder in unarmored combat. Not so for mail combat.

Quote:

Are you aware of any tests indicating that 13th Century or 11th Century swords are effective against mail? Because everything I've seen indicates the opposite. In fact I suspect the pointy blades are designed to poke through mail (even inside one link) in a thrust, which can at least actually cause some injuries.

See my earlier post regarding images from the Macejowski Bible. You can not just ignore that.

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Tsafa wrote:

What six pound greatsword are you referring to? Do you mean a 16th Century zweihander? What era are you talking about?

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_spotxii.html

XIIa.3 From the Royal Armouries. The blade alone is 43 inches. The whole sword is probably 53inches. It is within the SCA time period. I have seen other large swords too in museums. There is a huge one at the Met Museum from the Crusading period taken as a war prize by the Arabs.

That sword Xiia.3, is 6 pounds? What do you believe to be the average weight of a European sword from 900 - 1200 AD to be ? What is the average weight of a 'Viking' sword?

Quote:

Cutting meat is is different then breaking bone through mail. Try a Type X. You will probably find it very uncomfortable.

My Vikinig sword is a type X

Quote:
Again, you are trying to use swords designed for unarmored combat as the standard measure. The 90% of WMA as practiced today is based on unarmed combat dueling systems. The details of the fighting are accurate for that exactly that. You will notice the quick transition to rapiers and small swords were no armor is involved because striking faster beats hitting harder in unarmored combat. Not so for mail combat.

Is the SCA heavy combat fighter supposed to be wearing cap-a-pied mail protection or not?

Quote:

See my earlier post regarding images from the Macejowski Bible. You can not just ignore that.

You can't ignore it, but it's not proof either is it? Have we seen helmets cut like that in the archealogical record? I remember watching Mike Loades giving it a shot, cutting from horseback no less, and he barely scratched the helmet. You know the video I'm sure.

J

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi guys,

A couple of quick notes. First, just for clarity Jean: I am not, and have never been, a member of the SCA. In fact I've never fought with rattan at any time.

As for the Mac Bible, it's simply NOT evidence of cutting through armour. It's an illustrated Old Testament, and therefore shows biblical heroes performing super-feats. Note that the bad guys don't have the power to compromise the armour.

Single-handed swords don't cut through a mounted man's helmet, mail coif, padding and all the way into his brain. Our supermen here do this only because of divine power.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Vikinig sword is a type X

Type X, comes in with some variation in length and weight. The viking one tends to be a little shorter and lighter as the vikings were raiders targeting mostly monasteries for gold and villages for slaves. The Normans on the other hand used heavier Type X swords.

No matter what evidence anyone comes up saying SCA Fighting is not "Historically Applicable Combat"... I will be able to find evidence indicating that it is. That is because the medieval ages were an age of development and experimentation. Anything you can imagine being done with a sword, was done by someone at one place or another.

Consider that there is historical evidence of people using ridicules sickles in duels. I don't know if you have ever handled a sickle but it is not a very good weapon. They still used it... maybe because they were board of swords.

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's because sometimes that's all you had available, especially if you are a peasant.

J

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Is SCA fighting similar to real fighting?
Page 7 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: