Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I present you... my new kit...         Reply with quote

William Frisbee wrote:
Please note, this isn't me in the photos, but my armourer.

I'm quite a bit shorter and have larger arms, shoulders and chest...

But you get the picture...

Its still worn with a haubergeon, and there is a mail coif/aventail that is worn under the helm which will show past the extended portions of the grand bascient.

Great looking armour and the coif would seem useful to me to seal the gap between the bottom edge of the helm and the top of the breast plate as I assume that without the coif a point could slip between the above ?

One doesn't see these Great Bascinet reproduced as often as the regular smaller ones + attached aventail.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas R. wrote:
Hi Artis,

your kit looks great. Do you have a link to the picture from the book of hours you based it upon? I especially like the robin-hood-like hat. How do you made it? Perhaps you can send me a pm to not spoil this thread too much Happy.

Best wishes,
Thomas

hi Thomas! Thanks, quite a lot of research and effort went into making of the whole thing. I am attaching the image I based most of the kit on, although the colour scheme is different. Turnshoes, hat, bollocks dagger and sword (aside from the blade, it is one of moat sale Albions) are my own work, braes, hosen, shirt and doublet was mostly done by my wife and gown was made by another of our forum members - S. Jansone, she is really talented seamstress who has studied the clothing of this period extensively. Belt and pouch was ordered from Ucraine. As for the hat - basically it is wool outer layer with linen lining un the inside of the hat itself, the outer "flaps" are two layers of wool. Outer layer consists of two symmetrical pieces, vaguely teardrop-shaped, forming the form of the cap and the flap - so you simply sew them together and upturn the flap so it gets the correct shape. I used linen lining on inside and another layer of wool on flaps so it is more comfortable and keeps shape better.
Another image I attached is the one I have based the cloak upon - cloak is not seen on the pictures I posted, but it is pretty much like ones woen by those man, also, the gown is prety much the same.

Attachment: 160.03 KB
Book of Hours.jpg

Attachment: 202.61 KB
7006184.jpg

William Frisbee

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: I present you... my new kit...         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Great looking armour and the coif would seem useful to me to seal the gap between the bottom edge of the helm and the top of the breast plate as I assume that without the coif a point could slip between the above ?

One doesn't see these Great Bascinet reproduced as often as the regular smaller ones + attached aventail.

Thanks Jean, and yes, the coif seals the gap, I've seen effigies and engravings that have the maille hanging under the bascinet, and others that don't have it. I went both ways and added the sword stop to the breastplate.
Luis Armando

PostPosted: Sat 14 May, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is my XIIcenturi armour
Making it 2 years later and still not completely finished

This is my brother's coat. recreates a rebel imperialist soldier of Mexico. It's a Insurgent of the XIX century

"Dying is nothing when for the homeland dies" (Jose Maria Morelos)
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is my current harness. Wore it for some 9 hours the other day and found it to be not only comfortable but hardly hindered me from writing even. Sadly we left our camera so I had to use these pictures from my backyard. No doubt in a few months it will be different but I finally got it more or less done. It is for a knight of Scotland from the 1340s, named Sir Robert de Moffet, who spends his time looking for employ in war or often as the protection of Scottish Ambassadors (his Uncle and Cousin). In the early 1350s he becomes a diplomat himself.

I actually forgot my rerebraces in this picture and ran out of ties for my sabatones and besegews at the armpit and top of shoulder.

It actually was made to be altered to a decade earlier to two decades later.

For my 1320s I drop the rerebraces, splinted cuisses (using the padded cuisses alone) and plate sabatons for mail ones and will sometimes use my great helm

For 1340 I use the rerebraces but not always splinted cuisses still and almost always use my bascinet.

For 1350 or there after I use plate rerebraces with the splinted cuisses and different gauntlets.

RPM

Attachment: 92.04 KB
Harness1.jpg

Attachment: 80.29 KB
Harness2.jpg

Brian Ames

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a picture of my revamped harness. Picture is courtesy of Ed Toton who is wearing the white/blue surcoat.
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not sure those sun glasses are period, but they go suprisingly well with the rest of the ki Razz t. Both harnesses look great.
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
I am not sure those sun glasses are period, but they go suprisingly well with the rest of the ki Razz t. Both harnesses look great.

Yeah, that's what I keep telling people. It's not period, but they sure do work. Happy I also didn't bother with a helmet since it was such a hot day.

This kit is still in progress. The plate components are all from Merc Tailor, and the mail is GDFB riveted stainless. I have a helm I can use for the time being, but I need to get a better one. Same story on gauntlets. And I have a much nicer surcoat being commissioned, so this one is just temporary.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Brian Ames

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well helm and gauntlets you may need but you already have an exquisite belted scabbard which puts me to shame! Big Grin
William Frisbee

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian Ames wrote:
Well helm and gauntlets you may need but you already have an exquisite belted scabbard which puts me to shame! Big Grin

YEah thats a stellar scabbard.

Is it from DBK Custom?
Bram van Diemen

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a picture from last weekend at Sterckshof (Antwerpen, Belgium). It was 30+ degrees celsius, and you can see the heat has gotten to me.

Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bram,

Looks cool.... or not so cool depending on what we are talking about. Do you have any more pictures of your event?

RPM
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been waiting to get a few tweaks done before posting - like finishing some tailoring to my haubergeon - but since I seem to be dragging my butt on that, here we go. Now, let's see if I can get the images to post:

Attachment: 61.29 KB
Greg in Harness.jpg
Me with the visor down! Same event.

Attachment: 215.78 KB
At the recent Lysts on the Lake. I am the one in the pig-face bascinet, who has his eyes closed! ;) Doh! [ Download ]

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oops - the credits:

Arming Coat is a custom one from Revival Clothing.

Bascinet, aventail and padded liner were bought from Matuls, but made by Jacek Matera.

Arm harness and gauntlets by Jeff Wasson of Wasson Artistry, and based on the Churburg S-18.

Cuirass by Anshelm Arms

Leg harness by Jiri Klepac, and designed to match the arms/gauntlets (Churburg S-18).

All tempered spring, other than the bascinet.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg, your current kit looks *wonderful*! I've been thinking about moving into the 14th century, and your harness is certainly inspiring me to do so even more. Happy
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Gregory Alan Singer

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

migration era gear

Attachment: 52.5 KB
kit.jpg

William Frisbee

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg,

What to you wear for shoulders?

Where you using the Silver Altar Piece at Pistolla Chapel for your source?
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Frisbee wrote:
Brian Ames wrote:

YEah thats a stellar scabbard.

Is it from DBK Custom?

It's a DBK campaign scabbard, so it was made without me shipping the sword to him. And it fits perfectly. I love it.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William,

William Frisbee wrote:
Greg,

What to you wear for shoulders?

Normally, like a good Italian, just mail - I really dislike spaulders. t is ironic that Italians develop the huge pauldrons, but often, even in the 1450s - 1470s, are just shown wearing mail on the shoulders.

However, I am going to ask Jeff Wasson to make a pair of a-symmetrical spaulders/early pauldrons of the kind found in the Pissani-Dossi Fiore.

Quote:
Where you using the Silver Altar Piece at Pistolla Chapel for your source?

Yes and no! I did not want to replicate one source/piece, but rather go with something that would have been considered a relatively fine harness in northern Italy, c.1410 but old-fashioned by 1420. That is why I stuck with the standard bascinet, not a proto-armet or a great bascinet (although I have slowly come to love those), and why it is a simple, half-cuirass and not the segemented, full cuirass of the Churburg S-18.

What I essentially did was take a look at a variety of sources c. 1390 - 1415, chief of which was the harness in the Getty and Pisani-Dossi Fiore manuscripts, the Churburg S-18 (which is particularly similar to those found in the latter Ms), the effigy of Jacopo Cavalli (1391) and a late 14th c painting by Altichiero and c..1415 painting by Pisanello. I'd say that Cavalli and the Churburg S-18 were the main influences.

There are certainly similarities with the Pistoia Altar Piece, but as I recall that is more like 1360s.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Greg, your current kit looks *wonderful*! I've been thinking about moving into the 14th century, and your harness is certainly inspiring me to do so even more. Happy

Yes, come to the "early" side, Bill! Wink

I have two harnesses. The first is my truly early kit, which, depending on which pieces I add or subtract can cover me from 1220 - 1350. Most of the elements are only so-so other than the custom gambeson and silk surcoat by Nicole (of Revival Clothing) and the hauberk by Eric Schmidt. But really, the way you show off well-tailored mail is make people try it on - it all looks more or less the same in a photo!

The second is the one I just posted, and as I said, it is *almost* done.

Now, you want to go earlier, and I am thinking that I need a nice mid-15th c partial harness! Milanese, however. Although most folks love gothic armour, I just really don't care for sallets, whereas I'm a huge fan of barbutes and armets! I'd love to eventually do a full, Milanese harness in spring, but I think about the pricepoint and get a little dizzy.... Wink

Greg

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 53 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: