Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crossbows power / range Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jun, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David;

Extremely interesting post(s) and good to pay attention to the whole tactical issue of armour use and missile power as opposed to narrowly focusing on only the piercing or not piercing of the best breast plates.

A fully armoured Knight getting a bolt through an arm or a leg might well still be dangerous for a short time if he managed to close in on you: Seriously wounded men have historically continued to fight while the effects of adrenaline kept them going for a while. I remember reading a long time ago about a Canadian officer in WWII continuing to fight effectively after taking multiple 7.92 mm hits from an mg42 and only noticing he was wounded after the fight.

Now for every extreme case like this there are many more cases of fighting effectiveness going down to zero, not to mention living through the experience: This to make the point that being invulnerable to a head or chest shot due to unpierceable armour doesn't make you unstoppable or invulnerable and major wounds to limbs cannot be dismissed as not important: One should not assume that like the Black Knight in " Monty Python and the holy Grail " one can dismiss a completely disabled limb as " Just a scratch ".

Now on the use of soft steel for bodkin: Now let's say that soft points failed to be able to pierce armour when the armour was improved wouldn't it come to mind to at least try hardened points to see if they worked better ? Period bodkin Maker " Oh, no ! Dead soft Bodkins point are traditional we can't try hardened point ! Sorry, for the sarcasm. Wink I don't think we should assume that Medieval craftsmen were too stupid to try ! And it's not as if they had no knowledge about hardening steel, or that the armour makers were much smarter than the bodkin makers.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jun, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There isn't a single scrap of evidence to suggest that the bodkin was specifically designed to penetrate armour. A strong argument can be made that bodkins (specifically longbow types) were in fact used for flight arrows and not armour piercers. If this is the case then soft iron is more than adequate. If the broadheads were reserved for closer shooting then these are the only ones that one would expect to be able to compromise armour and hence are more likely to be made of higher quality steel.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jun, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know about proof but it seems counter intuitive to me to select a broad head if one's goal was to make holes through hard to pierced targets no matter how good quality steel one uses: Maille or later plate Eek!

I could see that low mass and small bodkin arrows or bolts heads might be better to shoot as far as possible and might be used for flight arrows.

As to quality of iron or steel used for arrows heads, couldn't that vary a lot ? One might use a soft iron for a flight arrow bodkin were at long range one wouldn't expect good armour penetration anyway? So why waste good steel on a long range arrow.

A bodkin intented for short range armour piercing could look just about the same as a flight bodkin but made of harder steel.

Or it could just be that someone chose the lowest bibder for those 400,000 arrow heads. ( Mostly joking here. Razz )

Broadhead are great for hunting or against unprotected flesh, in some cases in maritime warfare better at cutting lines or damaging sails. With nasty barbs they make wounds much harder to treat and maybe a lot of other advantages I don't know about.

If I was designing an armour piercing arrow it would be a bodkin style Exclamation Against maille a very long and thin point might penetrate and wound even without breaking one link ? ( Very long needle like: I don't know if any historical one's match this description, but I would definitely design an anti-maille point this way if actually bursting ring(s) was very difficult to do or almost not possible )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jun, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now, I confess I skimmed a good bit of the last page or so, but nonetheless I have one thing I would like to ask about.

I fully understand the importance of riveting mail, but should we also not pay attention to the exact steel used for the links?

Obviously we would use some sort of steel, and I can't claim to be anything more then a rank novice in metallurgy, but those on the list have drilled into me that 'steel' has more potential properties then I have hair on my head.... so what about mail link metallurgy? Question Question Question As a gross exaggeration I suggest the idea of riveted
lead links obviously not stopping anything.

I of course have no idea what the actual historical steel would have been for a quality mail shirt, but I'm sure it would be an important question in any test.

Also, I know it many mail shirts had riveted links alternating with rows of solid links. (Like a washer.) If you hit a solid link with a powerful crossbow, what would happen? Wouldn't it need to pop the other four riveted links (remember the old 1-4 pattern of mail) to drive into the body?

Also, when testing a plate, we should take it's shape as a glancing surface into account. (Was this mentioned? If so I failed to see it.)

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jun, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
There isn't a single scrap of evidence to suggest that the bodkin was specifically designed to penetrate armour. A strong argument can be made that bodkins (specifically longbow types) were in fact used for flight arrows and not armour piercers. If this is the case then soft iron is more than adequate. If the broadheads were reserved for closer shooting then these are the only ones that one would expect to be able to compromise armour and hence are more likely to be made of higher quality steel.

Hi Dan,

With all respect but are you now reversing your postion from a couple of years ago?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Howard
I can't find much info regarding short bodkins. I was under the impression that these were used mainly on crossbow bolts. The battlefield use of crossbows and longbows differed considerably. I don't doubt that a short-bodkin crossbow bolt, fired at fairly close range, could punch through plate. Otherwise you wouldn't have the existence of plate specifically proofed against this weapon.

source
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=343239

From that
"Otherwise you wouldn't have the existence of plate specifically proofed against this weapon."

If you have existence of plate specifically proved against it; Doesn't that also mean that crossbows were at least considered a threat?

What I spent some time looking through today were proclamations made by one of the British kings (Henry IV V or VI) to verify a claim elsewhere about proofing arrows and armour.

There is an interesting proclamation from Henry VI but it doesn't specifically deal with crossbows vs armour. What it does address is quality of arrows. What I'm looking through are London records of the 14th and 15th century.

Interestingly, by the mid 16th century, Elizabethan records are specifically refering to steel plates for armour and not wrought iron plate. The import/export records are extremely useful too.

A great online resource is
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/

It can be a little unwieldy to use but you can build a bookshelf of articles.

What is your take on the Jones Vickers hardness numbers? I know you were at one time looking for that article. There is a fellow on another board I could point you to that has offered to scan it. This is a second reference I have found in simple searches (google jones+bodkins+hardness), not the first I posted to this thread. On yet another board are claims of bodkin hardness to 450 on the Vickers but no source to back it up.

Cheers

GC
David Ruff

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jun, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

From that
"Otherwise you wouldn't have the existence of plate specifically proofed against this weapon."

If you have existence of plate specifically proved against it; Doesn't that also mean that crossbows were at least considered a threat?

What I spent some time looking through today were proclamations made by one of the British kings (Henry IV V or VI) to verify a claim elsewhere about proofing arrows and armour.

There is an interesting proclamation from Henry VI but it doesn't specifically deal with crossbows vs armour. What it does address is quality of arrows. What I'm looking through are London records of the 14th and 15th century.

Interestingly, by the mid 16th century, Elizabethan records are specifically refering to steel plates for armour and not wrought iron plate. The import/export records are extremely useful too.

A great online resource is
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/

It can be a little unwieldy to use but you can build a bookshelf of articles.

What is your take on the Jones Vickers hardness numbers? I know you were at one time looking for that article. There is a fellow on another board I could point you to that has offered to scan it. This is a second reference I have found in simple searches (google jones+bodkins+hardness), not the first I posted to this thread. On yet another board are claims of bodkin hardness to 450 on the Vickers but no source to back it up.

Cheers

GC

Even tho it puts a kink in my tests, this came directly via email from an expert in the field.

Dear David, For definative testing of the English longbow go to <www.sptradarch.org> as we are putting together a dvd on the work we have done up to now with more to come in the near future. There is some debate as to were the
heads hardened or not but the analysis carried out by David Starly at the Royal Armouries seems to indicate that they were not heat treated but relied on the inherent hardening factor of phosphoric iron. I do forge arrowhead and quarrel heads in 15th cent. wrought iron for definative testing and impart some hardness to the tip by fire hardening. If they were going to carry out any hardening I think they would have used my method as it is simple and cost efective in time and fuel.

For crossbow testing you need to get in touch with <edited until i can get permission to post email> as he is also involved with this aspect of archery. Hope this is of some help.

Regards Hector Cole.

This all side it is as i thought it was. Take the scrap steel laying around the forge, heat it, shape it, quench it - it will have a hardness to it - DEPENDING on the steels used... i suspect some where harder then others. The medieval smiths wasted NO METAL, so it makes complete sence that bodkins came from bits of metal first and from larger sources second. Now an arguement can be made that crossbow bodkins were known to be fire and forget, they were known to carry a ton of power and they knew - unlike an arrow - you were not getting the tip back. Therefore why harden the tip and put extra work into it. However i remain strong - heat, shape, quench - what do you get?.....

This man worked in the tower of london, makes period heads and is identified expert in the subject. I will be now emailing the crossbow expert.

As a side note, Dan, as i have said from the start. When we make (or buy) the tips to be tested. They will be heated, hammered to shape and quenched. I will not be using any other ways to add or take away hardness. You also have to realize that crossbows were fire and forget missiles. The few that have been recovered i need to know the source and who tested them **IF** we are to play this game, hell i have 7 period bodkins - war short bodkins to be exact...

Its very simple, i am attempting to test crossbows on armor, i have now included bows, and now am considering also testing soft tips to get a wide array of tests and results. Is there anything else i need to do to prove that armor was pierced (AS YOU SAID in a post from a time ago)?

If i get the tips from MR cole i think you can count on them being the closest thing to the real deal we can get next to going for a day trip to the 1480's.

I have pictures incoming of a early 15th century bow + spanning aid, i will be choosing which one i will be using BASED FIRST on safety. I could care less to make this heavy prod and have it blow up on me. If that means i have to make a lighter crossbow - so be it. I do have a 650lb sitting here atm i may use on the lighter of the two that will be built.

More later, just got home and am going to bed. I inlaid 1/4 pound of ivory into an Italian crossbow this morning and then worked 12 hours... im dead....

David
J Westra

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have tried to read over what everyone has written carefully, but I am late to the discussion and may have missed the points that other people have covered, but I thought I shall include what other people have missed...

No one seems to have meantioned the designs of Milanese armour vs Germanic Gothic plate. Notherners, such as the British and the Germans had lighter, flatter plate that allowed them greater movement. In these areas crossbows were not common and the longbow was preferred. Further south, especially in Italy where crossbows were very common the plate was heavier and more sweeping, especially in previously vunerable points such as the elbows. It seems that Knights were willing to pay for less agility and more weight in their armour to protect against crossbows, so I would guess that bolts did punch through armour. From the design of the Gothic plate, they were less concerned about longbow fire, and more about manoeuvrability or light weight.

There is little reference to quality of bows and crossbows. While a trainer archer can account for the inaccuracies of a bow and it capable of adjusting torque of the stiffness of the arrow, no such compensation can be easily made with a crossbow. An average crossbow in the hands of a well trained operator will always perform poorly. The higher the poundage of a crossbow, the higher the chance it will fracture and the higher chance of inaccuracies of the weapon. While laminates were improving they were prone to crack, and wood can only be stretched so many times before it too would fracture. Many longbows could stand 100s of uses. I very much doubt any medieval crossbow would last remotely that long.

I can't remember where I read it, but somewhere around the 15th/16th century laminated bows in the eastern steppes were being created that the author believed were superior to longbows. But given longbows are a pre-roman era weapon I think the weapon did well to last so long.

http://www.fletcher-family.co.uk/C13th%20Fletchers.htm is also a good longbow read and offers some suggestions on the power of longbows "At the siege of Abergavenny in 1182, Welsh archers, using longbows, pierced an oak door four inches thick with their arrows and William de Braose was hit by a Welsh arrow. This arrow went through his chainmail, into his thigh, through the saddle and penetrated the horse he was riding" is a nice quote.

Knights > Ninjas
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J Westra wrote:
No one seems to have meantioned the designs of Milanese armour vs Germanic Gothic plate. Notherners, such as the British and the Germans had lighter, flatter plate that allowed them greater movement. In these areas crossbows were not common and the longbow was preferred. Further south, especially in Italy where crossbows were very common the plate was heavier and more sweeping, especially in previously vunerable points such as the elbows. It seems that Knights were willing to pay for less agility and more weight in their armour to protect against crossbows, so I would guess that bolts did punch through armour. From the design of the Gothic plate, they were less concerned about longbow fire, and more about manoeuvrability or light weight.

Hi J,
I don't know that I can agree with you. Unless if there is specific evidence, I don't think it's sound logic to make that assumption. I'm not sure I agree with your assessment about the construction of the armour, or of the amount of usage of crossbows vs. longbows in each area, but I'll set that aside for the moment. The main problem here is that you're assuming that the armour was developed specifically because of arrows... but do we have any evidence if that was true? What if the armour was developed differently because of different methods of cavalry? Different needs against polearms? Different senses in fashion? To assume the armour is different purely because of arrows alone is a bit of a leap of logic.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
David Ruff

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J Westra wrote:
I have tried to read over what everyone has written carefully, but I am late to the discussion and may have missed the points that other people have covered, but I thought I shall include what other people have missed...

There is little reference to quality of bows and crossbows. While a trainer archer can account for the inaccuracies of a bow and it capable of adjusting torque of the stiffness of the arrow, no such compensation can be easily made with a crossbow. An average crossbow in the hands of a well trained operator will always perform poorly. The higher the poundage of a crossbow, the higher the chance it will fracture and the higher chance of inaccuracies of the weapon. While laminates were improving they were prone to crack, and wood can only be stretched so many times before it too would fracture. Many longbows could stand 100s of uses. I very much doubt any medieval crossbow would last remotely that long.

I can't remember where I read it, but somewhere around the 15th/16th century laminated bows in the eastern steppes were being created that the author believed were superior to longbows. But given longbows are a pre-roman era weapon I think the weapon did well to last so long.

http://www.fletcher-family.co.uk/C13th%20Fletchers.htm is also a good longbow read and offers some suggestions on the power of longbows "At the siege of Abergavenny in 1182, Welsh archers, using longbows, pierced an oak door four inches thick with their arrows and William de Braose was hit by a Welsh arrow. This arrow went through his chainmail, into his thigh, through the saddle and penetrated the horse he was riding" is a nice quote.

Yeah i remember reading this, But it will be taken apart as it was a leg shot heheh.

Look guys im tired of the discussion,

Dan, i will leave you with this, If your so sure that armor in period was able to deflect a shot at period range. Would you be willing to wear said armor and take a shot from a period heavy crossbow? Say something like the payne gallwey crossbow pulling 1200lbs after 100's of years being cocked? Think about it, becuase im here to tell you MODERN flack jackets and modern personal armor CAN NOT deflect them. Do a search for LA gangs using barnetts and excalibres to kill police from a few years back here in the states (a modern high power crossbow puts down the same or very simular power numbers of a 400 to 600lb medieval). The broadheads used today carry the SAME type of bodkin tip used for hunreds of years - granted - apples to oranges comparison - but close enough to raise questions, don't you agree?

Or ask my brother in law about the time i put a bolt from a 500lb crossbow THRU one door of his 88 mustang - across the cab and out the other door from 40 yards. Granted not tempered steel but rather 2 layers of steel, two layers of interior and 5 feet of seperation between the two. All that from a glancing miss on the target and an accidental hit to his car some 30 degrees off center of the target.

I know well the power of heavy crossbows, i admittedly do not know armor well, but i do know what happens when a bodkin hits steel.

Till then and hopefully with some decent results to prove (or disprove) heavy crossbow and bow hits Happy

David
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Testing weights seem low, a 70lb longbow is a decent pull but if im not mistaken the average weights for a longbow were higher - i have read 90 to 150lbs. The bows we will be using will be in the 90 to 127lb range.

According to Strickland and Hardy, a 150-lb draw was the average. How heavy would a crossbow have to be to match such a longbow's power?

Thanks for the numbers on crossbow rate of fire.

It's odd. In the 11th and 12th centuries, there are many sources extolling the power of crossbow. It seems clear that the men of that age, Christian and Muslim alike, considered them more powerful than hand bows. Byzantine historian Anna Comnena even claimed they could shoot through bronze statues and city walls. (She was prone to hyperbole.)

However, you don't see much of that in later years. You have English longbowmen beating Genoese crossbowmen soundly at Crecy. I don't remember much mention of crossbowben in the 15th and 16th centuries, except in the Italian Wars, where they weren't very effective. I do recall one 15th century source comparing a volley of crossbow bolts to a shower of rotten apples, or something like that.
George Hill

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Ruff wrote:

Think about it, becuase im here to tell you MODERN flack jackets and modern personal armor CAN NOT deflect them. Do a search for LA gangs using barnetts and excalibres to kill police from a few years back here in the states

Are those crossbows? At any rate, there is really no reason whatsoever to expect a flack jacket to stop a bolt. It won't stop a rifle bullet, and it won't stop a knife. Not even a slow knife. It's a very particular kind of protection that only works on very powerful blunt trauma.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
David Ruff wrote:

Think about it, becuase im here to tell you MODERN flack jackets and modern personal armor CAN NOT deflect them. Do a search for LA gangs using barnetts and excalibres to kill police from a few years back here in the states

Are those crossbows? At any rate, there is really no reason whatsoever to expect a flack jacket to stop a bolt. It won't stop a rifle bullet, and it won't stop a knife. Not even a slow knife. It's a very particular kind of protection that only works on very powerful blunt trauma.

Well there are many kinds of body armour today.Soft bullet proof vest can't stop knife,pointy arrows and bullers-only weaker ammunition.But special panzer steel or ceramic or titanium reinforcements not stoping crossbow bolts while stopping 7,62 mm Ak-47 bullets(for example NIJ IV armour class-7,62X63 remington AP)????No way Cool

www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Ruff wrote:
Or ask my brother in law about the time i put a bolt from a 500lb crossbow THRU one door of his 88 mustang - across the cab and out the other door from 40 yards. Granted not tempered steel but rather 2 layers of steel, two layers of interior and 5 feet of seperation between the two. All that from a glancing miss on the target and an accidental hit to his car some 30 degrees off center of the target.

Then it is a good thing that armour wasn't made from car doors. FWIW I can put a pencil through a car door. What does it have to do with medieval armour?
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
With all respect but are you now reversing your postion from a couple of years ago?

Yes. Definitely. A lot of research has been done since I posted that.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J Westra wrote:

Not really. The actually thickness of the door was not four inches, it was four fingers or a little under three inches. William de Braose wasn't the one who was hit. De Braose was the man telling the story to Gerald, and Gerald is known for greatly exaggerating his anecdotes. Even if this really occurred the attack was an ambush. Welsh tactics involved using their bows at very close range. English tactics relied on volley fire. And this has nothing what so ever to do with plate armour since the incident occurred some two centuries before the advent of plate armour.
J Westra

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
J Westra wrote:

Not really. The actually thickness of the door was not four inches, it was four fingers or a little under three inches. William de Braose wasn't the one who was hit. De Braose was the man telling the story to Gerald, and Gerald is known for greatly exaggerating his anecdotes. Even if this really occurred the attack was an ambush. Welsh tactics involved using their bows at very close range. English tactics relied on volley fire. And this has nothing what so ever to do with plate armour since the incident occurred some two centuries before the advent of plate armour.

I never said it was accurate, only a good read. 4 finger spans is still a lot of wood, much more than the thickness of shields and oak is by no means a soft wood. And I am not sure why you made this about plate armour...that paragraph had nothing to do with plate armour. I have no problems with being told what I have said is wrong, but I do find it offensive when arguments I never made attacked and you offer no references so that I can read about what I have done wrong, only your word.

http://www.fletcher-family.co.uk/C13th%20Fletchers.htm still has lots of interesting points, even if not as accurite as some would like.

Knights > Ninjas
David Ruff

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Quote:
Testing weights seem low, a 70lb longbow is a decent pull but if im not mistaken the average weights for a longbow were higher - i have read 90 to 150lbs. The bows we will be using will be in the 90 to 127lb range.

According to Strickland and Hardy, a 150-lb draw was the average. How heavy would a crossbow have to be to match such a longbow's power?

Thanks for the numbers on crossbow rate of fire.

It's odd. In the 11th and 12th centuries, there are many sources extolling the power of crossbow. It seems clear that the men of that age, Christian and Muslim alike, considered them more powerful than hand bows. Byzantine historian Anna Comnena even claimed they could shoot through bronze statues and city walls. (She was prone to hyperbole.)

However, you don't see much of that in later years. You have English longbowmen beating Genoese crossbowmen soundly at Crecy. I don't remember much mention of crossbowben in the 15th and 16th centuries, except in the Italian Wars, where they weren't very effective. I do recall one 15th century source comparing a volley of crossbow bolts to a shower of rotten apples, or something like that.

It really depends on what time period and where you look. The crossbows that used composite prods made from wood, horn and sinew (along with other stuff at times) did not pull that hard. I have made these to about 250 to 300lbs max. After that they are huge, bulky and very pron to failure.

One thing you have to understand about a medieval crossbow is they did not draw alot of inches. 5 to 7 inches seems to be what period examples pull with 5.5 to 6" being about normal. I have seen less pull of about 4.5". So lets run some numbers.

Modern crossbow - say a excalibre pulling say 175lbs and draws say 14" (i am grabbing these figures out of the air FYI)

Take the lbs in pull at full draw of 175lbs and times that by the draw = 2450 inch pounds of energy.

Now lets take a longbow from history. The Mary rose discovery estimates the bows pulled 90 to 150+ lbs. So lets take a run of the mill bow of 100lbs - this can be documented as a real pull of an average ELB (english longbow)

These bows were braced at about 7" this means the at rest strung position of the string off the belly of the bow. They fired according to history a 32 to 35" long arrow and fired in english style (from the ear) this puts a draw of about 32" as being average. Take 7" brace and minus that from the 32" draw = 25" of power stroke or draw. which = 100lbs X 25" of draw = 2500 inch pounds of energy. for the ELB.

Now lets take an average composite crossbow - lets say it draws 5" from the at rest string position to the roller nut or the notch in which the string hooks into. Lets say this is an average composite prod pulling 150lbs. 5" X 150lbs = 750 inch pounds of energy..... This is way weak yes? of course it is.... MOST modern bows pulling only 37lbs contain the same amount of energy. A 37lb bow while able to kill someone is NEVER going to go through even the lightest of leather enough to cuase much more then some new four letter words. I was shot with a 25lb bow at 18 meters once while doing a kids birthday party - it hurt, it went through blue jeans and went in 2" stopping just before the calf bone. That was a target tip, with a broadhead it prolly would have done little more damage - but not much.....

But i degress.....

So lets take a bow known in history and written about in the late 1800's, it was tested to a best of 450 yard shots (out ranging the ELB) and it was verified at 1200lbs. It drew about 6" and it was a windlass bow. This bow was seen in battles in the late 1400's to about the 1600's.

1200lbs draw X 6 inches of draw = 7200 inch pounds of energy. of just shy of 3 times the energy of a "average" ELB. This means the crossbow was not quite 2 times the power of a ELB, but atleast 33% more potent. It shot a bolt that weighed in the same as a war quarrel and its only purpose in life was to kill people.

It gets worse. This crossbow was left cocked for 100's of years and it is was thought that this crossbow pulled A LOT MORE in its day. I have heard upwards of 3000lbs, but i am pretty sure (as we are making prods to the same diamentions out of 1075 carbon steel that this prod lost atleast 700 to 1000lbs as to spec from the book a copy of the prod pulls more then 2000lbs. While i think its foolish to wind a 2000lb prod up with a period copy windlass it can be and is easy to do i am being told now - i do not agree but will be finding this out soon as we are making some heavy prods and will be using a windlass......

So if thats the case and the prod lost some of its spring being spanned for all those years - lets say it was a conservitave figure of 2000lbs - 2000lbs at full draw at 6" of draw = 12000 inch pounds of energy that is going to be applied toa hard wood bolt that is armed with a steel bodkin (hardened or not) and fletched with leather vanes. This bolt will be about the same if not a tad more in weight then a heavy war arrow and it will be aimed as if it was aimed off a gun. It will be traveling at about 170 to 190fps - possibliy a tad faster (i use conservitive numbers and i WILL be using a crony on my tests). It has a out side range of 450 yards (payne gallweys tests using a 1200lb measured crossbow)

As a demosration of the power of a medieval (look alike) target bow that pulled 150lbs at 10" of draw or 1500 inch pounds you can see it on my website under videos "renegade video". That was a target tipped shot at 1" laminate plywood at 60 yards. Granted its not a period bow - however power in inch/lbs is power in inch/lbs and would be VERY close to a 250lb steel prod bow pulling 6" of draw.... I know this as i shot the same plywood with a 240lb german crossbow using the same bolt and got very close results.

But again, these hand held crossbows that weighed in at about 14 to 25lbs in the hand were rare to face. Lighter bows of 250 to 500lbs were more the likely to be faced in a conflict in the later 1400's when steel prods took over - UNLESS your were seiging a castle or being seiged, FYI the earliest record of a steel prod was in the early 1300's.... . Then you would face ELB's AND heavy crossbows. But in a field battle - you were going to face showers of ELB shoots and lighter crossbows that had a better rate of fire, but were weaker in power. These weaker crossbows i have no doubt bounced off armor were armor was thicker. BUT a crossbow as an archer was NOT going to bother with aiming at a spot where they knew was heavy protection such as a breastplate or helm. They would aim for armpits, legs, arms, necks, backs and anything they could aim for to get an arrow through.

Now, before the masses pipe in and say archers did not aim.... BS....... An average archer (crossbows in a second) were REQUIRED by english rule to practice day in and day out. These archers would hit targets out to 100 yards shot after shot. TODAY people that fire true ELB's and have done so for years are able to do the same thing. Its a learned trade and took years to learn. Crossbows on the other hand were point and shoot. For ANYONE that has ever shot a medieval crossbow reproduction - they are not hard to learn, they are not hard to aim and accuracy on even a 240lb steel prod bow is capable to put bolts into a 6" circle at 50 to 70 yards ALL DAY LONG. To hit a leg, arm, neck or even a slit in the helm is not hard to do for someone that shot one and practiced with one. EVEN on moving targets. All it takes is a knight to lift an arm from horse back to strike and a shot under the arm WILL kill, it WILL knock the breath out of you and it WILL get your attention VERY quick. I have been hit with blunts while wearing armor on 75lb bows from 20 and 30 yards - they sting... imagine getting hit with a 150 to 500lb crossbow with a bodkin on it.... Even if it gets under your arm and gets caught in the chain - its gonna stun you, maybe knock the breath from you, maybe trip you up long enough for a pike to lance you. And that is just ONE of the shots that a crossbow and archer can take.

To say that crossbows didn't peirce plate is partly correct - it depends on the situation, the battle and the location you were fighting. But facing a heavy crossbow at under 100 yards and even a ELB at ranges under 40 yards and you were going to have a bad day - NO MATTER WHAT armor you were wearing. The reason why it didn't happen that much is a crossbow could not reload to fire again and an archer if that close to a person with a sword was either backing up to take another shot OR getting ready to goto melee. Archers didn't run, but they were not stupid either, nor were crossbowmen.

BUT we are talking about heavy crossbows here and never have been taking about light composite crossbows.

Now if i remember correctly and am citing the battle at Crecy in which the Genoese (a very feared collection of crossbowmen if i remember) were handed there rearends got rained on i believe. The longbows took the strings off and hid them from the rain, while the crossbows could not do the same due to the nature of the weapon. the strings stretched and made the crossbows useless. Now, had the battle been full on - i am the FIRST to say the longbows most deffinately would have won due to one reason and one alone...... Rate of fire. Now, if im confusing a battle for another - please forgive me, but i think we are talking about the same battle.

Back to plate.......

I have asked for a time period - it was said to test 1480 to 1520AD, test the armor breast plate of the time vs the crossbow of the time. Then was thrown in the chainmail and the arming coat ect ect.... I think the arming coat is a dead issue - if the bolt blows thru armor - cloth isn't gonna save ya dude..... So i am putting a test together to shoot plates made to the specs of the average front of a breatplate, i am making maille to the average mail worn. I am doing so with a 450lb crossbow and two heavy seige type bows from ranges of 30 to 80 yards - or so. I am also having a 90lb and a 127lb ELB fired at these items to test that. Tests are the plate + maille, the plate alone and the maille alone with the series of weapons. Im even entertaining using harden tips and soft tips..... Altho soft tips will still be hand forged out of steel so they will have a degree of hardness to them - as i am NOT cutting them out - thats not period!

Cloth arming garb aint gonna save ya dude!!! These tests will be conducted with known powers, know weights and known states of the armor and weapons/missiles used. In fact i am getting emails from professionals wanting copies of the tests as well now..... Go figure....

Dan, i can not keep playing this back and forth, we have named a time period, you have given me thicknessess and hardness of the armor, you have given me material to be used. Now its in my hands to use period weaponry and test it... once the tests are complete i expect you and i will not go back and forth on it.... hey i could be wrong and if i am take my medicine rather humble like.... If i am right - i expect gentalmen will reach a agreement that armor was indeed prone to bad days at times.

David

Last edited by David Ruff on Tue 06 Jun, 2006 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey David,
I don't have a stake in this one way or the other, but I think for the test to be valid then it absolutely needs an accurate arming doublet. Maybe the doublet didn't do a thing. Maybe the doublet absorbed some of the shock on impact and didn't allow the arrow to penetrate the plate in a way that it would have if the arming doublet wasn't worn. Maybe the plate was compromised, but slowed the arrow enough so that the arming doublet was sufficient to stop it from being fatal. I don't know. But I know I for one wouldn't take it as a valid test unless if you covered as many of the aspects as feasible, and the arming coat strikes me as an integral part of the armour.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
David Ruff

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Hey David,
I don't have a stake in this one way or the other, but I think for the test to be valid then it absolutely needs an accurate arming doublet. Maybe the doublet didn't do a thing. Maybe the doublet absorbed some of the shock on impact and didn't allow the arrow to penetrate the plate in a way that it would have if the arming doublet wasn't worn. Maybe the plate was compromised, but slowed the arrow enough so that the arming doublet was sufficient to stop it from being fatal. I don't know. But I know I for one wouldn't take it as a valid test unless if you covered as many of the aspects as feasible, and the arming coat strikes me as an integral part of the armour.

Ermm might, might not.... I don't see it as if we get a complete pass through that the doblet as being anything that would make a difference. But it can be done....

DO WE HAVE any information on what they were made of and how to reproduce one? it would be nothing i guess to create it.
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jun, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
It really depends on what time period and where you look. The crossbows that used composite prods made from wood, horn and sinew (along with other stuff at times) did not pull that hard. I have made these to about 250 to 300lbs max. After that they are huge, bulky and very pron to failure.

Then why do so many sources from that period go on and on about the power of crossbows? Strickland argues very convincingly that hand bows were just as strong in earlier times. Something's not adding up...

Quote:
So lets take a run of the mill bow of 100lbs - this can be documented as a real pull of an average ELB (english longbow)

As I said, the most recent scholarship puts the average at 150lbs, not 100lbs. That would be the minimum, more or less.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Crossbows power / range
Page 6 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: