Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Next NEXT Next Gens... and another contest... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Forgive me if this has been asked before. Has Albion considered adding a 15th century sidesword to the lineup?

An XVIIIc could be another interesting addition.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Forgive me if this has been asked before. Has Albion considered adding a 15th century sidesword to the lineup?

An XVIIIc could be another interesting addition.

It is on my dream list.
I have made a Next Gen version of the ricassoed sword that Harlan owns, the one that has a similar hilt to the Viceroy (sorry, but I actually have no picture myself of this sword...).
That blade is not strictly a XVIIIc, since it has a ricasso, but apart from that it fills the same criteria: a long slim sword suitable for self defence and elegant carry to impress your peers. A sort of proto-rapier.
The same functional niche as XVIIIc, that is.
Again, there are quite a few projects awaiting their turn, so I cannot say when that sword is ready to launch.
I have some two or three diferent hilt options for that blade, both simple cruciform and early developed hilts, spanning the period late 15th C and early 16th C.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Maybe...
I *do* want to keep some hilt styles to explore with a future slimmer XVIIIb that I have in mind (Nothing certain as when that blade is going in production...).
There are no immediate plans to offer yet another hilt for the "Regent" blade. I would not say never, though...

Perhaps it would be possible to offer an alternative guard for the Earl, but I am not sure how that would be possible production wise?

And Nathan, even if you do not realise it yet, you actually *love* s-curved guards! It is a love that still slumbers in your deep subconscious Wink Big Grin

The Regent blade is a very nice one, but I would definitely be interested in something closer to an "archetypical" XVIIIb...

I'm thinking long blade between 36 and 39 inches, a Type 10 guard with either straight or 'S'-curved quillons, a carved waisted wooden grip of about 10 inches in length, and a scent-stopper pommel.

Seeing as how the Regent is not exactly the most meaty blade in its own right, I'm hoping this new XVIIIb wouldn't be too much more skinny than the Regent.

Make Albrecht Durer proud!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Bell wrote:
Some really nice models in this new update.

I was wondering, will we see the same variety of pommel/guard variants for the Regent /Earl XVIII (a? b?) as we are seeing for the XVa models?

I really liked the Earl, and was millimeters away from reserving one, but was not so thrilled with the recurved guard. I guess I am the anti-Joe Fults. Happy That guard style made it a "must" for him but a deal-breaker for me!

So do you think we will see different guard and pommel styles with this blade type, guards like the Castellan/Talhoffer or downcurved guards?

Thanks,

Nate

Actually I'm not a huge fan of that guard type.

The pommel is the big deal for me.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
I have made a Next Gen version of the ricassoed sword that Harlan owns, the one that has a similar hilt to the Viceroy (sorry, but I actually have no picture myself of this sword...).

Peter, here is a topic with photos of the sword owned by Harlan. I really liked that sword a lot.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Peter Johnsson wrote:

Maybe...
I *do* want to keep some hilt styles to explore with a future slimmer XVIIIb that I have in mind (Nothing certain as when that blade is going in production...).
There are no immediate plans to offer yet another hilt for the "Regent" blade. I would not say never, though...

Perhaps it would be possible to offer an alternative guard for the Earl, but I am not sure how that would be possible production wise?

And Nathan, even if you do not realise it yet, you actually *love* s-curved guards! It is a love that still slumbers in your deep subconscious Wink Big Grin

The Regent blade is a very nice one, but I would definitely be interested in something closer to an "archetypical" XVIIIb...

I'm thinking long blade between 36 and 39 inches, a Type 10 guard with either straight or 'S'-curved quillons, a carved waisted wooden grip of about 10 inches in length, and a scent-stopper pommel.

Seeing as how the Regent is not exactly the most meaty blade in its own right, I'm hoping this new XVIIIb wouldn't be too much more skinny than the Regent.

Make Albrecht Durer proud!

Hey Jeremiah,
If there is anything I´d like to explore with a new XVIIIb is a blade that is *slimmer* than the "Regent". The "Regent" is bordering on being too wide for halfswording. I think a blade that is a few inches longer, slimmer than the "Regent" and stiff enough for the nifty fencing manual moves would be a blade worth exploring in different mountings.
If a blade is *wider* than the "Regent" it would become an XVIIIc; the Italian(?) ansver to the Germanic(?) XVIIIb.
In my book there is room for both a longer slimmer XVIIIb *and* an XVIIIc. Both these makes for interesting swords.
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Hmm, good news/bad news. I suppose I am more in the same boat as Joe....I like the pommel on the Earl and the idea of more rounded form and oval grip, but I would like seeing the cross as something different. For me, the crosses on the Castellan, Mercenary, Talhoffer, Fiore/Ringeck, Agincourt----any of these on the Earl would agree with my personal aesthetic taste(or lack thereof? Razz )

You could be right about the S-curved guards, though, I suppose, possibly, maybe! I like them just fine on the 16th century Irish stuff, just not so much on the Earl. Maybe I need to see the finished result to actually awaken my subconscious Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Somehow I'm missing the Earl in the product page now. Where is it?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Sorry, Nathan -- everyone is looking at the draft NextGen page:

http://albion-swords.com/swords/albion/swords...tgen-b.htm

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Sorry, Nathan -- everyone is looking at the draft NextGen page:
http://albion-swords.com/swords/albion/swords...tgen-b.htm

Cool. I'd forgotten where it was. Thanks Howy.

Anyway. it doesn't amount to much, but I'll chime in and say I like the Earl excactly as it is. I hadn't realized by the illustration that it had a counter-curved guard, but I like it even more because of that fact.

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just gotta have that pommel!!

It looks good in the sketches and all of the NGs have been better in the steel than in the sketch so far. I really think it will be just fine and I'm just going to wait and look forward to seeing how it turns out. Cool

Besides it looks like its cheaper than the Regent. So how can it be anthing other than a winner!!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Hey Jeremiah,
If there is anything I´d like to explore with a new XVIIIb is a blade that is *slimmer* than the "Regent". The "Regent" is bordering on being too wide for halfswording. I think a blade that is a few inches longer, slimmer than the "Regent" and stiff enough for the nifty fencing manual moves would be a blade worth exploring in different mountings.
If a blade is *wider* than the "Regent" it would become an XVIIIc; the Italian(?) ansver to the Germanic(?) XVIIIb.
In my book there is room for both a longer slimmer XVIIIb *and* an XVIIIc. Both these makes for interesting swords.

Maybe it's just the photos I was looking at, but the blade of the Regent just simply doesn't look that wide... *shrug*

Of the late styles of long swords, I'd have to say that XVIIIb is my personal favorite, with XVa in a close second. To me, they are two swords that simply embody the whole Gothic medieval aesthetic, almost as if they were patterned off the very spires of Cologne or Notre Dame.

That their handling is, in my experience, controllable and precise doesn't hurt either! Cool

I'm not very familiar with sub-type XVIIIc, as several examples of this sub-type seem to be used frequently as examples of XVIIIa as well. I'd definitely like to see some more of these on the market. I take it these would be a good sword type for Vadi?

I'm glad to hear that you're looking into different fittings for the b's and c's. I really do hope that at least one of those b's gets a Type 10 guard with a waisted grip. Wink

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 10 Feb, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Maybe it's just the photos I was looking at, but the blade of the Regent just simply doesn't look that wide... *shrug*

It's a 2" wide blade at the base near the cross. The thing to remember, and this isn't conveyed well in photos, is the overall size of the sword. It's really quite large, so the 2" wide blade doesn't appear to be overly large.

Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Thu 10 Feb, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
I just gotta have that pommel!!

It looks good in the sketches and all of the NGs have been better in the steel than in the sketch so far. I really think it will be just fine and I'm just going to wait and look forward to seeing how it turns out. Cool

Besides it looks like its cheaper than the Regent. So how can it be anthing other than a winner!!

Most likely I will end up with one as well.

I am probbaly being too nit-picky with the cross, not to mention I might be violating historical regional style conventions or mixing time periods slightly if I had the cross I think I want on the Earl....

And like you said, these turn out better in real life than sketches, and from Round Table experiences I find the pictures don't completely convey whether I will like a sword or not.

But I will most likely have to see this one in the steel before I pull the trigger on the order.....s-curve prejudice is irrational and hard to fight Wink Big Grin
Ken Jay

PostPosted: Fri 11 Feb, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Might there be any news on the new Romans? Any peeks? Big Grin
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Sat 12 Feb, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any word on the Thegn? I've been waiting for that one for quite some time. I much prefer Anglo-Saxon hilts to Viking ones.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 13 Feb, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm. Poitiers or the Fiore? Life is full of important decisions. Wink
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 13 Feb, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
Any word on the Thegn? I've been waiting for that one for quite some time. I much prefer Anglo-Saxon hilts to Viking ones.

Steve is working on the last (I really think it will be the last) revesion of the blade (together witht the blades for the Reeve/Baeux and the Poitiers). Soon after that I will begin on the hilt originals.
...Looking forward to that Big Grin
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 13 Feb, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:

Steve is working on the last (I really think it will be the last) revesion of the blade (together witht the blades for the Reeve/Baeux and the Poitiers). Soon after that I will begin on the hilt originals.

Love that Reeve Peter. Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Sun 13 Feb, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Peter Johnsson wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:

Love that Reeve Peter. Big Grin

I agree with you Patrick. I've been waiting for a simple type X with a brazil nut pommel for quite some time.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Next NEXT Next Gens... and another contest...
Page 6 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: