Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Swords You'd Take Into Battle Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next 
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If we are talking about mindless zombies, I'd go with either Albion's Knecht kriegsmesser, with the Soldat grossemesser as a back-up, or a large XIIIa war sword, like Albion's Duke, A&A's "12th Century Sword", or ATrim's "heavy" XIIIa.

If we are talking about brigands and bandits, whom may devise some sort of armor or protection, I would go with a cut-and-thrust sword. Something large and imposing, but still agile. A&A's German Bastard Sword would fit this bill, as would Albion's Viceroy and Baron models.

As for things in my collection, my ATrim NIBS would serve well for most purposes, especially if I had a buckler. Though the Albion Stamford I am expecting soon would be more authoritative in the cut...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Michael Ahrens

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: zombies         Reply with quote

Hi All

i think in a world without fire arms, and a high concentration of zombies. i will have to go with the Albion Kenecht. but since it is as of yet still not in my hands, i will take my Svante Nillson and my ATD002 dagger, and start lopping of their mindless heads.

Mike

Mike Ahrens
http://www.selohaar.org/

Staten Island German Martial Arts (S.I.G.M.A.)
http://www.sigmanewyork.webs.com/

Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Cantius Garand, Reformed (Gas Port)
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From my collection, for the two handed needs, pommel bashing, half swording, polearm and sword breaking tactics, no two ways about it! I'll bring my Arms & Armor German Bastard Sword. For the close quarters, deceptive maneuvers, it must be fast, accurate, it must thrust, it must cut, and I want a pommel on this sword that will cause skull fractures. So the answer to all this can only be one sword, the Albion Vassal!

Bob
Douglas S

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Clark L6 Bainite type XIIIa longsword.

A guy can dream, can't he?
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I really had a choice and advanced knowledge, I'd hock my big Dodge van and get a Albion Sovereign. Also my Coustille along with Chain, Kevlar and steel brig and a big Mucking shield. Bullets you can run out of, but you can make arrows plenty. Longbow or compound would do nicely. If I was on horse back, then my Del Tin St. Maurice, DT2130.
I love the reach and the feel of this sword.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
J. Erb

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What is it with the zombies? WTF?! Not to be rude, but such a topic is really beneath this site, as Mr. Arrow has pointed out more than once.

But I digress. If I were going to be fighting for my life today, I think I would choose Phoenix Metal Creation's Venetian Riding Sword. (I'm under the impression that Phoenix is sadly no longer an active producer, but I can dream!) I favor a somewhat lighter blade that offers some protection for the hand, and can both cut and thrust well. Versatility is important, after all! I would, of course, also be carrying an Arms & Armor smallsword -- just because I like it.

Angus Trim's new 'Tactical Swords' also look quite competent, though I think they rather lack character.

"What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause, to use their own knowledge against them?"
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know who mentioned the zombies first but they weren't here in the original topic...
Of the swords I have now I would be most confident in battle with my Windlass 15th century longsword (I would have to sharpen it first) , but if I could choose, Albion Landgraf or Talhoffer... If mounted, it would be useful to have an Albion Templar or Hospitaller... Happy
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Swords You'd Take Into Battle         Reply with quote

Whether the topic of killing zombies is appropriate for this site is up to the Mods and I will leave it up to their disgression. However, the mention of zombies stems from the original poster's question (emphasis added by me)
Timothy Gulics wrote:

Consider this scenario. The world as we know it is post-apocalypse. Perhaps a nuclear catastrophe has left the continents a burning wasteland ala Mad Max, or an unknown virus has reanimated the dead into killing machines along the lines of Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead.

Dan
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ups, I missed that. But I think we should concentrate on battles with brigands and other human enemies because killing lots of zombies isn't really a problem no matter what sword you use... Happy
J. Erb

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blast, I'd forgotten about that scenario. Blush Looks like I should think twice before opening my big fat mouth -- my apologies! Still, zombies? Wink Bring on the living brigands!
"What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause, to use their own knowledge against them?"
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know, I see quite a few zombies around here all the time. WE call them students.

BTW, I just fell in love with this sword but I don't know it's name or if it is still for sale?

http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fl...506.html#1

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Phillip Meyer

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Well, since I have plenty of firearms and ammunition I think I could have just about any sword I wanted. Big Grin

Laughing Out Loud You have answered the riddle correctly, Patrick. The answer is, "guns beat knives."

My personal choice is an M-14 with a few thousand rounds. The more the better.

Brian M

I love how, when the guy says "what swords would you take into battle," you say a gun. That's not only cowardly, but you're defeating the entire spirit of the post. Go find yourself a gun forum or stfu.

I would have to say a bastardsword, preferably Albion's Talhoffer. A bastardsword will enable me to use it one-handed if need be (say I get injured or find a suitable 'shield'), or two-handed to get through any armor I may come across (I doubt I'd see plate). If it doesn't strictly have to be a sword, I'd have to take Windlass Steelcraft's German Mace with me, as well. A mace will destroy any plate I come across, and even unarmored opponents will die after only a few blows to the head or chest. Hemhorraging to death isn't fun.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phillip Meyer wrote:

I love how, when the guy says "what swords would you take into battle," you say a gun. That's not only cowardly, but you're defeating the entire spirit of the post. Go find yourself a gun forum or stfu.

Statements like this are out of line. Calling others out, putting them down, being sarcastic, and telling someone to "stfu" are simply not called for.

Phillip,
Please check your private messages.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Erb wrote:
What is it with the zombies? WTF?! Not to be rude, but such a topic is really beneath this site, as Mr. Arrow has pointed out more than once.

Perhaps I wasn't clear: while zombies were a part of this thread from the beginning, the digressions into zombie anatomy are really farther than I'm willing to let this topic go. Please keep in mind that this thread began years ago, before our culture and focus were firmly established.

I'd advise readers to not post in threads where they dislike the subject matter. After all, doing so only brings it back to the top again which isn't where you want it to be if you didn't like it to start with. If you have a concern with a topic, please message a Moderator directly rather than in a thread.

Those who choose to post in a given thread are asked to keep their discussions related to the original question whenever possible.

P.S. - The last name is Arnow, not Arrow. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
J. Erb

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps I wasn't clear: while zombies were a part of this thread from the beginning, the digressions into zombie anatomy are really farther than I'm willing to let this topic go. Please keep in mind that this thread began years ago, before our culture and focus were firmly established.

I'd advise readers to not post in threads where they dislike the subject matter. After all, doing so only brings it back to the top again which isn't where you want it to be if you didn't like it to start with. If you have a concern with a topic, please message a Moderator directly rather than in a thread.

Those who choose to post in a given thread are asked to keep their discussions related to the original question whenever possible.

Impeccable logic, Mr. Arnow, which, in retrospect, I should have thought of. Again, my sincere apologies. For the record, I have no issue with the subject of choosing a sword for battle; it was just the zombie bit that startled me. (Though more than enough has been said about that!)

P.S. - Please forgive the confusion with your name -- my brain tends to fudge lowercase R's, M's, and N's when they are next to each other, especially on fuzzier computer screens. Happy

Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gentlemen! I think you forget about one thing.A man can't carry tons of weapons.A REAL post-apocalypse world (heheh Wink )is not RPG.No magic suitcases available.Of course if you have a car/horse/camel you can carry much stuff-but having twenty weapons is not necessary in my opinion.When cought in ambush you wouldn't have a chance to unpack your favourite M60 or halberd.Not enough time simply.Don't forget about other essential goods that you need to survive-food,water,tent,clothes,medicines,torches....

Think what would happen if your car suddently brokes and your camel dies.You have only your back and hands to carry all what is needed.

So I think realistic option is to carry not more than 2-3 types of handweapon(not heavy machine guns,not two handed pollearms)and eventually basic body armour.

In my case I would find wz.96 Beryl carbine(based on ak 74 Kalasnikov polish weapon firing standard 5.56NATO rounds http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karabinek_wz._96_Beryl )with not more than 100-150 rounds(I can't carry whole armoury) + my XV(Oakeshott) bastard sword made by Szanek +maybe(only if I have enough spare space and strenght) khukri(or large bowie knife)+ small tactical folder like Spyderco Byrd Cara-cara(as a tool rather than weapon)
Body armour-plate carrier with basic chest plate+kevlar helmet+plastic elbows and knee protection.

Anyway-give me 10 soldiers and 10 days-and I will change post-apocalypse world Cool Wink

www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to confess to a fondness for my inexpensive and slightly tacky Cold Steel cutlass (1917 Naval type). It's a fairly crude, armory-class weapon. I'd have no qualms about getting zombie innards on it. And while I know I have half a dozen "much nicer" swords, the cutlass is a nice size for close quarters.
I'd also keep one of my tomahawks along, to increase my "reach".
btw, the cutlass is not far from reach at my bedside...
Should I ever have a nightime intruder, I fully intend that the police will be taking them away with a bucket and a sponge.

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Jonny Prince

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion Crecy, with and Albion Knight at my side.

That Crecy is a beast of a sword, a good cut / thruster, important if you're trying to slay both zombies and armoured dweebs Big Grin
E Stafford

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're going to limit me to just one sword? Oh well.

This one then: Angus Trim AT1592. Fairly nasty, gives good (nasty) cuts, lacerations and stabs. As a bonus, if they get in close, grab the ricasso and I've got a short spear. This way, I can deal with fights in close quarters without drawing a dagger. Also, fairly light sword, only three pounds. I've taken a few survival classes, and if you're carrying everything on your back, every ounce counts. I saw claymores mentioned. Those are seven to eight POUNDS of weight. Are you sure?

If I could carry a second one, it would either be a rapier/smallsword, for indoor work, or a katzbalger, probably A&A's. Again, for the same reason. Indoor work; I go in to search a house or a building, for whatever reason, I won't be able to SWING my big sword. Rapier can work in that environment, and I'll have a dagger with it to finish the guy off. Same thing with the katzbalger.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I put in an entry on this thread when it first came out, but I've changed my mind. This time I will go with two swords, both in my possession.

First, the Albion Castellan, a shortish XVa. This is an underappreciated sword. It feels great in one or two hands, tracks beautifully, it is one of the best thrusters around, and it can cut as well. Good looking, too

For a backup sword , my ATrim Tactical Cuttoe, light and strong, with a blade 22 inches long. It feels like it could take care of anything.

I'll also take along my A&A English Buckler.

Attachment: 21.4 KB
castellan-1.jpg
Albion Castellan

Attachment: 25.22 KB
cuttoe600w.jpg
ATrim Tac Cuttoe

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Swords You'd Take Into Battle
Page 6 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: