Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Musket vs. Crossbow & Longbow Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David;

The pict you show is of a halberd and not a pike: With a thrust I don't think the target would feel the difference if the pike head is a thin and narrow one.

Pike: Just a small headed spear with a stout 18' to 21' shaft.
The later type of halberd you show has a spike at is very similar to an awl pike type pollarm and about the same length as the 6' to 8' halberd.

An Italian Bill of the early 16th century would be similar at least as the thrust is concerned.

A & A makes one: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole066.html

My appologies if any or all of this is something you already knew. Big Grin

The pollaxe also has a nice poky thing: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole010.html

Halberd: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/custom927.html

English Bill: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole030.html

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Not even a doubter would wish to stand in front of Simon Stanley or Mark Stretton in a suit of their best.

Humphrey Barwick actually suggested a similar test against an archer of his time, if I recall correctly. Look how much energy is in a heavy arrow from a 150-lb bow, and look at how much good plate armor can take. The armored man would be fairly safe even against Stanley.

Tests also show, however, that a mail in wouldn't be safe. No one has tested the force of a polearm thrust, though, so we can't say anything for sure. However, I suspect mail would fail against a hard thrust from a strong man. There are period accounts of spear thrusts piercing mail.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Quote:
Not even a doubter would wish to stand in front of Simon Stanley or Mark Stretton in a suit of their best.

Humphrey Barwick actually suggested a similar test against an archer of his time, if I recall correctly. Look how much energy is in a heavy arrow from a 150-lb bow, and look at how much good plate armor can take. The armored man would be fairly safe even against Stanley.

Tests also show, however, that a mail in wouldn't be safe. No one has tested the force of a polearm thrust, though, so we can't say anything for sure. However, I suspect mail would fail against a hard thrust from a strong man. There are period accounts of spear thrusts piercing mail.

With spear thrust we can forget about Kinetic energy being the best way to guess at the results because velocity is too low for kinetic energy to be the best predictor of results. On the other hand the momentum of the spear alone should be important as well one might have to consider the momentum added by the body pushing the spear ! With a lance we have even more weight behind the point and enough of an increase in speed that Ke would also be greater. And if the blunt trauma kills you the fact that your plate wasn't pierced would be a small consolation.

On the other hand if armour wasn't at least reasonably effective any Joust would have ended with two dead bodies most of the time. How one takes a blow, rolls with the impact, plate deflection of points etc ..... make the subject full of variables.

Carl Scholer

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I doubt the KE of a lance blow to the chest would be fatal to an armoured individual if his armour held. If no significant indenture or penetration is made the KE is going to be felt by the wearer of the breastplate in the form of the breast plate slamming into his chest. That spreads the KE pretty evenly over the entire surface area of the chest and I really doubt a lance blow has the kind of energy necessary to collapse the chest cavity in this way. In any case it's far more likely that the knight will be knocked off his horse. Knights jousted with thick and heavy blunted lances all through out the late and high Middle Ages without dieing on the first joust.

In my opinion that is one of the advantages of plate over mail. Unless dented severely or defeated all together it will spread the energy an attack over a wide surface area and significantly reduce the threat of blunt trauma. Mail on the other hand, even with an adequate gambeson, will still concentrate the energy of an attack on a relatively narrow area.

As for mail against spears,

A test was shown on the discovery channel about the Vikings where a military weapons testing lab put a reproduction piece of mail against a simulated spear thrust, unfortunately they didn’t state what kind of spear thrust. The mail was made by a Viking historian and consisted of alternating solid and riveted links. The mail alone was tested and it was pierced by the spear. With the addition of a linen gambeson the spear penetrated through the mail but failed to make it through the last layer of the textile defense. I suspect though that the spear thrust would have still been very harmful to wearer despite the last thin layer of textile holding.

Another test was done on the discovery channel where a javelin was thrown at a mail coat thrown over a pig carcass. The javelin penetrated a few centimeters into the pig carcass. Without the mail coat the pig was nearly skewered through IIRC. I don't remember the quality of the mail coat though. I think it may have been alternating riveted and solid rings.

A test by the weapons that made Britian showed a simulated weighted lance head plowing deaply through a mail and textile defence.

However, I can think an account during the crusades where an infantryman was struck by a javelin that pierced through his mail coat and most of his pour point but failed to kill him. Vegatus thinks a javelin, if thrown forcefully enough, can penetrate a cuirass. The armour of Vegatus' day was primarily mail so I believe he was probably referring to mail. A Muslim account of the crusades describes how a Muslim cavalryman lanced an individual who he thought was unarmoured only to find out that he had a mail hauberk under his shirt and survived the blow to continue fighting. In the Viking sagas though there are spears that are described as being designed to penetrate mail, and in those sagas mail doesn't appear to offer a good defense against spears.

All in all it’s pretty tough to say. I think anything weighted like a halberd, pilum, or a lance should have no problems plowing through mail. Mail armour when combined with significant textile support seams to give decent resistance against normal spears though... however even when it holds it’s always pretty close.
Rod Parsons

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: The Pot Elm         Reply with quote

I agree with Jean, a man in a good suit of plate is fairly safe. But not impervious.

Incidentally, a good few years back I had a friend who had a pot helm made, it looked very heavy and thick and all his arrows ricocheted or broke on it. He reckoned he would be safe wearing it but changed his mind when I broke an arrow on it at 30 yards.
He was delighted to see the arrow break until he realised that my shot had gone through the eye slit and put a ding on the inside rear of the helm, breaking the shaft as it vibrated inside the eye slit.

All very amusing, but not particularly relevant.

What little testing I have done against padding shows that the type of arrowhead makes a very significant diifference to the penetration achieved. The longer more tapered points are capable of greater penetration with padding than the plate specific points.
It may be that the best point against plate and padding would require a compromise between weight and length, since the shorter pointed heavy might penetrate plate but would be retarded more by the padding than a longer type, but if too long and thin, the plate would be likely to defeat the point.
Rod.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Inferences.         Reply with quote

Rod Parsons wrote:
You can also infer that the good friar was not an authority on making arrowheads, that a journalist will tend to put a gloss on things and being considered arrow proof is not a guarantee.
Excuse me, did I say "spear"? I must have been thinking of the Viking sagas. I should have said "rondel".
See "MRL 15thC English Rondel Dagger" where you say "I thought that the whole point of the rondel was to enable the second hand to exert additional force when punching through maille".
But then a spear will follow where a rondel can go...
Rod.

How is this relevant to my argument? I have repeatedly said that not all variants of mail are equally resistant to spears and arrows (and, by extension, rondels).
David Ruff

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Inferences.         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Rod Parsons wrote:
You can also infer that the good friar was not an authority on making arrowheads, that a journalist will tend to put a gloss on things and being considered arrow proof is not a guarantee.
Excuse me, did I say "spear"? I must have been thinking of the Viking sagas. I should have said "rondel".
See "MRL 15thC English Rondel Dagger" where you say "I thought that the whole point of the rondel was to enable the second hand to exert additional force when punching through maille".
But then a spear will follow where a rondel can go...
Rod.

How is this relevant to my argument? I have repeatedly said that not all variants of mail are equally resistant to spears and arrows (and, by extension, rondels).

Im not sure there is an arguement. I think what was being asked is the posts you have stated that plate was pierced (in fairness you staed you changed your position) and then that maille was pierced.

Dan, let me ask you this,

Have you ever in your life had the opportunity to fire a heavy medieval crossbow? Had you ever fired even a light medieval crossbow? I ask as i am most curious as to how you draw your conclussions based on a weapon you have not fired. Granted there are some great tests and reads on the subject. But the ones you have qouted have not used period strength weaponry against period armor. Until you have fired such a weapon, how do you know?

David
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Standards?         Reply with quote

Since the standard response appears to be that where penetration is achieved the test was most likely not representative of good period armour, then please define the acceptable criteria for the target in such a test.
We are in agreement in principle, but no progress will be made with testing unless we can define some realistically achievable criteria for the object of such a test.
Rod.

Last edited by Rod Parsons on Tue 20 Jun, 2006 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
With spear thrust we can forget about Kinetic energy being the best way to guess at the results because velocity is too low for kinetic energy to be the best predictor of results.

All the armor tests are in terms of Joules, so you'd have to do everything over again if you want to use something else.

Modern tests, by the way, use Joules for stab power and stab-resistant vests.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Quote:
With spear thrust we can forget about Kinetic energy being the best way to guess at the results because velocity is too low for kinetic energy to be the best predictor of results.

All the armor tests are in terms of Joules, so you'd have to do everything over again if you want to use something else.

Modern tests, by the way, use Joules for stab power and stab-resistant vests.

Went to check info about the joule as a unit of energy and it does relate to Ke energy but with different units than foot/pound
energy. ( If I understood it correctly, at least ft/pounds is what is usually used when talking ballistics in most American Gun
magazines. And this is a way to measure Kinetic energy. )

Now, assuming I'm not completely wrong, Joules are to Foot/pounds what degrees Farenheith are to Celsius: Different units to measure the same thing, temperature in the latter example.

Link to site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule

The problem with kinetic energy is that it measures accurately all the energy in a moving object, but a lot of this energy become heat on impact and that momentum " might " give a better idea about penetration potential. On impact the joules involved do a number of things including, heat, moving the target, deforming the missile and what we are looking for: Deforming the target. All the others subtract from the actual piercing and factors like a hardened or not hardened missile mean that more or less energy will deform the missile. So, I DON' T have THE answer about how best to measure what is going on after impact, but I will accept that using joules seems to be the accepted scientific way: At least until some scientists decide that some other way work better to predict target penetration.

Oh, using joules to predict penetration could give very different results with a heavy crossbow bolt and with a nerf ball at the same velocity and mass ! Same amount of joules, very different results. Try stabbing modern body armour with a rubber knife with the same number of joules that a steel knife succeed in piercing the armour. With a short stubby crossbow bolt there might be less energy lost to flexing of the shaft in a longbow arrow ? Just one factor that may make very similar RAW energy numbers giving puzzling differences in the effect on target. ( Including similar Ke numbers but higher Momentum for the crossbow bolt. )

I put a big MIGHT in there because I always has trouble understanding intuitively the differences between Energy, work, measurements units.

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Tue 20 Jun, 2006 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Inferences.         Reply with quote

David Ruff wrote:
Have you ever in your life had the opportunity to fire a heavy medieval crossbow? Had you ever fired even a light medieval crossbow? I ask as i am most curious as to how you draw your conclussions based on a weapon you have not fired. Granted there are some great tests and reads on the subject. But the ones you have qouted have not used period strength weaponry against period armor. Until you have fired such a weapon, how do you know?

I have fired crossbows, though not the heavier siege varieties and have done some sport archery but obviously not using the bows that Simon Stanley uses. Even if I did have access to these weapons they are useless unless the test also involves accurate reconstructions of contemporary armour. Your whole argument seems to be "our superlongbows can reliably penetrate medieval armour. We have no scientific data, no archaeological evidence, and no primary documentation, and we'll ignore everything you produce that suggests otherwise."

Archaeological evidence: Dispite there being many extant samples of plate armour showing battle damage, not a single one shows evidence of being holed by a longbow.

Primary sources: Dispite the thousands of eyewitness accounts of medieval battles, not a single one mentions a man being killed, or even incapacitated through his plate harness by a longbow.

Scientific Evidence: The latest scientific data of the heaviest longbows comes from Hard'y work in "The Great Warbow". The latest scientific data we have on contemporary armour comes from Williams "The Knight and the Blast Furnace". When the two sets of data are incorporated, it is clear that Hardy's longbows will not compromise the plate that Williams tested.

Until you read both books and digest the data, further discussion is a waste of time

It is also a waste of time trying to come up with a general model for a "typical" breastplate. All you can do is to take specific extant examples and make exacting copies. To get reasonable data one needs to test a range of targets.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Inferences.         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
I have fired crossbows, though not the heavier siege varieties and have done some sport archery but obviously not using the bows that Simon Stanley uses. Even if I did have access to these weapons they are useless unless the test also involves accurate reconstructions of contemporary armour. Your whole argument seems to be "our superlongbows can reliably penetrate medieval armour. We have no scientific data, no archaeological evidence, and no primary documentation, and we'll ignore everything you produce that suggests otherwise."

Archaeological evidence: Dispite there being many extant samples of plate armour showing battle damage, not a single one shows evidence of being holed by a longbow.

Primary sources: Dispite the thousands of eyewitness accounts of medieval battles, not a single one mentions a man being killed, or even incapacitated through his plate harness by a longbow.

Scientific Evidence: The latest scientific data of the heaviest longbows comes from Hard'y work in "The Great Warbow". The latest scientific data we have on contemporary armour comes from Williams "The Knight and the Blast Furnace". When the two sets of data are incorporated, it is clear that Hardy's longbows will not compromise the plate that Williams tested.

Until you read both books and digest the data, further discussion is a waste of time

It is also a waste of time trying to come up with a general model for a "typical" breastplate. All you can do is to take specific extant examples and make exacting copies. To get reasonable data one needs to test a range of targets.

Thank you for posting this synopsis. It sums it up as I see it, too.

As interesting as modern-reconstructive testing is, and it is interesting, it does not say what was does historically. Many of the statements in this topic definitively state what was done historically. Those statements are simply unsubstantiated.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
James Odell

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

not to senselessly cast myself into the fray, but a point to take into consideration is that penetrating power and target
composition aside, the form of the targets surface is important. the curved surfaces on plate armour can deflect projectiles
if hit at certain angles, therefor while the weapon may be designed to penetrate the armour, it will never be 100% effective.
probably another reason not to attempt to fire at a target at anything over 40 yards. as stated earlyer thats the range at which
an archer can reliably hit a point on a mansized target. ideally a point that doesn't feature a curved surface to deflect the shot.

$0.2
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Odell wrote:
not to senselessly cast myself into the fray, but a point to take into consideration is that penetrating power and target
composition aside, the form of the targets surface is important. the curved surfaces on plate armour can deflect projectiles
if hit at certain angles, therefor while the weapon may be designed to penetrate the armour, it will never be 100% effective.
probably another reason not to attempt to fire at a target at anything over 40 yards. as stated earlyer thats the range at which
an archer can reliably hit a point on a mansized target. ideally a point that doesn't feature a curved surface to deflect the shot.

$0.2

I think we shouldn't expect one test, even one under conditions that would replicate period conditions perfectly ( If that is even possible physically, or possible to get agreement that these conditions have been met ? ) to cover all the variables and give a black and white answer. As stated before I'm sure, not all armour was of the highest quality. In fact no two pieces of period armour would have 100% identical qualities.

I just think that modern test can give us some clues as to what was possible, impossible or probable.

Period testimonials, original sources are one type of evidence but I don't think that one can dismiss as useless tests of modern material trying to be close to the period material just because they are not the same: At the extremes at least, i don't believe that the period stuff had magical 14th century qualities that would make them perform 200% better than a modern approximation made to be 200% stronger ( Overkill to be sure it is actually stronger ). If in a test we can pierce something we have no doubt is above what period plate could stop, it may not tell us exactly how the period stuff would behave, but it would be logical to say that something known to be weaker would not perform better.

Historical references are one kind of evidence, physics, mathematic, logic are another kind of evidence: If the physical evidence is strong enough it should at least be considered seriously even if it contradict the historical references.

This doesn't mean we dismiss the historical references either.

O.K. , my personal bias is that I favour logical arguments and there are three ways these can be wrong: 1) The original premise is wrong thus the conclusions are wrong or 2 ) There is an internal flaw in the argument that can be demonstrated that lead to the wrong conclusion from the right premises. 3) Valid premise and a valid conclusion in a specific case is applied erroneously to a wider set of variables. Anyway that is what I remember from my classes in formal logic in college ( Just call Jean A.K.A. " Spock " the Vulcan. Wink Laughing Out Loud )

Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Period testimonials, original sources are one type of evidence but I don't think that one can dismiss as useless tests of modern material trying to be close to the period material just because they are not the same

Who is dismissing them? The best data available on longbows comes from Hardy. The best data on armour comes from Williams. These figures support the primary documentation - that longbows cannot reliably penetrate plate armour. When all the evidence is looked at (archaeological finds, primary sources, scientific testing) it all points in the same direction. Until some contrary primary sources are found, or a breastplate is dug up with an arrow hole through it, or new tests are done that contradict William's work, then there is only one conclusion that can be drawn. No amount of wishful thinking can change it.
David Ruff

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Period testimonials, original sources are one type of evidence but I don't think that one can dismiss as useless tests of modern material trying to be close to the period material just because they are not the same

Who is dismissing them? The best data available on longbows comes from Hardy. The best data on armour comes from Williams. These figures support the primary documentation - that longbows cannot reliably penetrate plate armour. When all the evidence is looked at (archaeological finds, primary sources, scientific testing) it all points in the same direction. Until some contrary primary sources are found, or a breastplate is dug up with an arrow hole through it, or new tests are done that contradict William's work, then there is only one conclusion that can be drawn. No amount of wishful thinking can change it.

Even if I did have access to these weapons they are useless unless the test also involves accurate reconstructions of contemporary armour. Your whole argument seems to be "our superlongbows can reliably penetrate medieval armour. We have no scientific data, no archaeological evidence, and no primary documentation, and we'll ignore everything you produce that suggests otherwise."

But thats just it, you dismiss it - you even say "we'll ignore it" when we have offered to make the plates, use 1800's wrought iron, spec it to the hardness and thickness of plates quoted from history. We will spec the bows to the power, the missiles to the finds and shoot it at all different angles. We will photo it, video it and document it. We have offered professionals to look at it and verify it.... ALL scientific data and documentation backed up by outside witnessing... Yet you'll ignore it?

I in the beginning got so frustrated with your pulling facts and leaving others out that i offered for YOU to make the plate and i would shoot it and send it back.

Dan simple fact...... If the bow goes through material thats better grade and as hard and as thick - there is a real arguement that it would go through lesser grade material. The testing thats being done out of our pockets is merely to prove "real argument".

Until i am shown a test done by someone using reproducion period grade armor and reproduction period grade bows and/or crossbows (or period armor and weapons that someone wants to destroy) your facts are simply facts you pull to prove your point..... Did strickland NOT shoot a pig wearing armor with a heavy longbow and penetrate plate? - reasonable argument there. Have i not shot 3mm carbon 1050 plate and blow a hole through it? modern carbon steel is tougher then wrought iron.... Reasonable questions there.... the reason we are going to expenses to do more tests using closer period materials.

Dan your arguement is like saying a .357 can not go through a ballistic jacket so it is "gun" proof. Try wearing it with a Mil spec armor round.... Your making a blanket statement and have done so through and though. I have said many times, armor is there to protect you against, but it was not proofed - you have said it was proofed and (words to this effect) No arrow/bolt penetrated armor.

The facts that some have been coming up with that show what it took in joules to pierce plate and doing simple calculations and seeing that the power produced gives a real indicator that its possible also points to hey - there could be some truth in it.

Lastely - WHY WOULD ANYONE want to keep a breastplate riddled with holes? yeah im going to advertise i can be riddled too. Chances are (and they were good at it) it got reused and made into something else. They didn't waste stuff. Or am i not factual there either? Seems to me that anything that survived from the period was either nice hand down stuff that was not damaged or buried and when recovered - a war hammer or halberd hole would look like a bolt hole or arrow hole. So since i am being ignored and my testing and FACTS are null and void i will keep from posting armor was penetrated by bolts and arrows, and pikes, and daggers and lances and hammers.

Seems to me that if NONE of it penetrated then no knights or heavy armored solders died and i have referances that lots did die - by bolts and arrows, and pikes, and daggers and lances and hammers, while wearing plate and chain and padding and leather and cloth.

David
Carl Scholer

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David;

Well I think it's important to remember that some pretty good tests have already been done on the subject by universities with expensive lab equipment and people with doctorates. Most of the data is contradictory, though not extremely, to the results of your tests.

Out of curiosity though what kind of steel are you using for your bolt heads. I'm thinking it might give me a clue as to why your bolts are penetrating so easily. So far I have been researching the materials you have been using in your tests on matweb.com. It looks like 1020 steel has a Vickers hardness rating of about 126 and 1050 steel has a hardness of 242 as rolled. The 1050, at least in terms of hardness, is equivalent to later run of the mill armours of the 15th through 17th centuries. The 1020 looks like it might decently represent the hardness of 14th century iron armour and earlier. Some of the better armours could have harnesses in the 300's and 400's, for example this suit averaged 340 in Vickers:

http://www.wallacecollection.org/i_s/conserva...armour.htm

Of course these are all really rough estimations. It may be that this is only the surface hardness of the armours instead of their actual hardness.

It's also a good idea to remember that if your armour is limited by poor mettallurgy so are your arrowheads. Projectile deformation is a very important component of ballistics testing. After all we don't test WWII tank armour by shooting depleted uranium at old 1940's Panzers Happy

P.S.

We do have an armour which suffered some punctures to the shoulder plate from the strikes of a pollaxe. I have a picture of it on my computer but I don't remember which museum has it.
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Testing by Phd's?         Reply with quote

The shooting should be done by those who can draw the heavy bow with a suitable point on a heavy war shaft, such as Simon Stanley or Mark Stretton.
Certain of the reported tests by PhD holding "authorities" utilised the wrong point types, unrealistic support of the plate and bows of insufficient power.
What is needed is provision of properly representative targets to be tested under controlled conditions by those who are capable of shooting the right equipment.
One of the questions about period plate concerns it's uniformity, since due to the manufacturing process it seems likely that only the very highest quality would even approach the more uniform hardness of modern manufacture.
What I would like to see is a specification for the plate and it's assembly with padding etc.that the doubters can agree upon and such a piece being tested by those who are competent with the heavy bow using a suitable projectile.
To my limited knowledge, most tests have thus far fallen short in one area or another. Some to a laughable degree, such as the TV programme by a UK academic which demonstrated that plate could not be pierced by using a long needle bodkin in a poorly conceived and executed test.
Rod.
David Ruff

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Testing by Phd's?         Reply with quote

Rod Parsons wrote:
The shooting should be done by those who can draw the heavy bow with a suitable point on a heavy war shaft, such as Simon Stanley or Mark Stretton.
Certain of the reported tests by PhD holding "authorities" utilised the wrong point types, unrealistic support of the plate and bows of insufficient power.
What is needed is provision of properly representative targets to be tested under controlled conditions by those who are capable of shooting the right equipment.
One of the questions about period plate concerns it's uniformity, since due to the manufacturing process it seems likely that only the very highest quality would even approach the more uniform hardness of modern manufacture.
What I would like to see is a specification for the plate and it's assembly with padding etc.that the doubters can agree upon and such a piece being tested by those who are competent with the heavy bow using a suitable projectile.
To my limited knowledge, most tests have thus far fallen short in one area or another. Some to a laughable degree, such as the TV programme by a UK academic which demonstrated that plate could not be pierced by using a long needle bodkin in a poorly conceived and executed test.
Rod.

We have a 107lb longbow, a 127lb longbow and now a traditional mongol bow that is being made (by me) out of ash, sinew and horn that will pull in the area of 125 to 160lbs. Both jody and i can shoot these bows, full english draw and have done so for years (a year in my case)

The crossbows that are being used, 250, 450, 600, 900, 1200 and 1500 to 1900 are all period weight and are made, shot and controlled by me. As i have said before the forge and i WELCOME second opinions and experts. All armor, thickness, hardness, materials are up for inspection. Anyone wanting to fire any of these bows at the plate is most welcome to. All firing is to be video'ed, photoed and spec'ed.

I have to agree with rod, all tests i have seen lack a complete array of period likeness to make the test stand without slating it in favor of the weapon or armor.

Again, if someone (dan included) wishes to produce the plate or the weapon, OR wants to come down and fire the weapons, inspect the armor - whatever - please feel free. I have a spare room and welcome anyone. At this point we are using the wallace collection data to produce the weapons and the plates. Respected data, that should hold when the tests show what happens.

David
Carl Scholer

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually the composition and shape of the longbow bodkins was based on the findings from over a hundred bodkins found through archeology, some of which actually came from the battlefield of Agincourt IIRC. The arrows and armour tested were put under the Vickers scale to see that the hardness’s were accurate. In another test, which also made their materials the old fashioned way, the best bow tested was a 150lbs longbow that was put up against a replica breastplate which was placed against of soft clay mold (which was considered by the ballistics lab to a good representation of the human chest) of a human chest with a gambeson underneath. That 150lbs bow had more than twice the KE and momentum of 175lbs steel crossbow presented in the plate tests and the 450lbs tests until a heavier bolt was used. A 1.9mm wrought iron plate was tested against a crossbow bolt which contained 80J which made it about 5mm, again more energy than the 45J bolt that punched through a 2mm plate to depth of over 20mm.

For example the 70lbs(?) longbow that was put up against mail in the earlier internet test probably put an arrow out with greater KE than the 175lbs bow in the test.

As for the lack of uniformity in medieval armour, well luckily the variance is pretty well documented. For example with a breastplate of 150 Vickers hardness the majority of the variance was in the 125 and 175 Vickers range. The hardness’s given were the mean hardness’s. For example a breastplate with 225 as its mean hardness from 1610 had a max hardness of 375 and a min of 158. The mean should still give the best representation of what a projectile will face in trying to penetrate.

Some of these more modern tests are very rigorous with regards to accuracy. I see nothing amateur or false in the conduction of these tests.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Musket vs. Crossbow & Longbow
Page 6 of 15 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: