Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arrows vs armour Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next 
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Not exactly. I am fairly sure they are giving 31" and the arrow shaft length not total arrow, so it is 31" at the bow or close to it.

Actually Randall, that's pretty well what I had figured. Not quites 31" on the draw, with the arrowhead extending past the bow. The Draw of a bow is not arrow length - it's probably the wood length minus an inch or so. Unless of course the archer uses a turkish type siper, which to my knowledge was not used on longbows.

So I think a 30" draw with a 31" arrow + arrowhead is the normal drawlength. The 32"-33" draws the bows were tested at are a bit long compared to the normal draw of the bow I would think.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I overestimated the shaft length going by memory as well Big Grin

76mm seems to be the average, which is about 29.9 inches.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary,

But keep in mind the draw length is to the closest part of the bow. On a real warbow you will have at least an inch, maybe more for bow thickness, so a 30" draw still has several inches more from what the total shaft length and then complete arrow w/head length, so once again we are getting into dead on for period descriptions.

RPM
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would just like to add, that without knowing at least approximate brace height of bow, even accurate draw lenght doesn't tell us all that much, because we don't know how much of that lenght is actually distance on which force is applied. Wink
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I would just like to add, that without knowing at least approximate brace height of bow, even accurate draw lenght doesn't tell us all that much, because we don't know how much of that lenght is actually distance on which force is applied.

I'd guess in the realm of a 6-8" brace or so, Bartek. And really, an inch or two difference in brace is rather negigible. The beginning draw on a longbow will be about 20% the weight at full draw - so you are talking about an inch or two at around 30 lbs per inch, as opposed to the last inch or two being in the 140-150lb range per inch.

Quote:
But keep in mind the draw length is to the closest part of the bow. On a real warbow you will have at least an inch, maybe more for bow thickness, so a 30" draw still has several inches more from what the total shaft length and then complete arrow w/head length, so once again we are getting into dead on for period descriptions.

Actually Randall, if I am reading this correctly, I think this would push towards more of the lines of a shorter draw, not a longer one. It's easier to illustrate with a diagram, but I'll try to explain what I think you are saying.

Quote:
But keep in mind the draw length is to the closest part of the bow. On a real warbow you will have at least an inch, maybe more for bow thickness,

OK, I'll start by saying I don't think the arrows would be drawn past the sgaft, meaning the metal of the arrowhead resting upon the body of the bow. I think this would be a definite no-no for broadheads, and probably not for other arrow types as well, I would think the irregularities of the arrowhead then moving to the shaft would throw off aim, even with a bodkin.

Modern arrows are not drawn with the arrowhead touching the body of the bow, and I would think if the Mary Rose bows were you would see "scarring", of where the metal consistently rubbed the body of the bow.

So what we are looking at if the above is true, is having a 29.9" arrow shaft (we'll say 30" for the sake of simplicity) plus the arrowhead. The length of the arrowhead is irrelevant, as the arrow will only be drawn to have shaft upon the body of the bow, not the arrowhead upon the body of the bow.

Since you mention the draw is from the part of the bow facing the user, another inch is needed for the arrowhead to clear the body of the bow, which would mean about a 29" draw maximum, and that is pushing it about as far as possible.

So all this is true unless the arrows were drawn with the metal of the arrowhead touching the body of the bow. A real bad idea IMO with an arrowhead like a type 16 broadhead.

Are you aware of any "scarring" on the mary Rose bows that would indicate the arrow being drawn to where the metal arrowhead is resting upon the bow?
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The MR bows were braced around 5.5 - 6"

A bow's draw-weight is measured at a standard extension (typically 32" for a war bow) to compensate for the fact no two archers draw the same length.

The draw-weight is measured from brace, not unstrung. That is, the bow is strung to its brace height, then the scales are zeroed.

A well-made high-altitude yew bow will draw about 16lbs per inch for about the first 28 - 30 inches. After that, because of the design of the limbs, the draw-weight drops to about 7lbs per inch. Therefore, bracing the bow an inch higher has much more effect (relatively) than reducing the draw-length by an inch.

The length of an arrow is the distance from the bottom of the nock to the shoulder of the head. Thus, a 30.5" long arrow with a 2" bodkin will be around 32.25" long total (assuming a 1/4" deep nock - about average for a MR arrow)

It is perfectly possible and acceptable to draw the arrow its full length. In fact, any arrow not drawn is effectively 'dead weight' contributing nothing to the shot.

The MR do not show signs of wear since they were (for the most part) new bows in storage chests. Scarring on a bow will be caused by the shaft passing the bow; so you would not be able tell whether the wear was caused by the bodkin. High-altitude yew is very dense and hard (much harder than Pacific yew) and would take a considerable number of arrows to show significant wear.

Below is a photo of me drawing a 33" arrow with a 125lb Italian yew bow at an archery competition in China. You can clearly see the bodkin touching the back of the bow.

Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ineresting info and nice pics, Glennan!

Quote:
The MR bows were braced around 5.5 - 6"

Thanks, was not sure.

Quote:
The draw-weight is measured from brace, not unstrung. That is, the bow is strung to its brace height, then the scales are zeroed.

I agree as far as the first part goes. Maybe we are saying the same thing, but a strung bow does not start at zero. It should start approximately at (Brace/total draw), which in the case of the MR bows, that is about 20% of their draw at 30", whcih my guess would be at about a 28 lb draw.

However this is a generality and can very a bit, it assumes straight line proportion in draw weight to the percentage of total draw. I know "stacking" can alter this a fair amount.

Quote:
A well-made high-altitude yew bow will draw about 16lbs per inch for about the first 28 - 30 inches. After that, because of the design of the limbs, the draw-weight drops to about 7lbs per inch. Therefore, bracing the bow an inch higher has much more effect (relatively) than reducing the draw-length by an inch

Not 100% sure of what you are saying here, but the reduction at the end of the draw seems to be a stacking issue.

But is not the draw a bit easier at first, getting more difficult the further the bow is drawn? And I'm not talking about stored energy, whcih is relative but a bit different, i.e. the "stacking" issues you seem to mention above.

Quote:
Scarring on a bow will be caused by the shaft passing the bow; so you would not be able tell whether the wear was caused by the bodkin. High-altitude yew is very dense and hard (much harder than Pacific yew) and would take a considerable number of arrows to show significant wear.

I would think that the scarring of metal passing the bow would more noticeable than shaft scarring doe to the hardness difference in wood and metal.

Quote:
Below is a photo of me drawing a 33" arrow with a 125lb Italian yew bow at an archery competition in China. You can clearly see the bodkin touching the back of the bow.

Interesting pic. Does not the head of the arrow extend at least a good inch (if not more) in front of the front of the bow? And if this is the case, and we allow for another inch for the bow itself (Per Randall, draw is measured from the part of the bow facing the user), are not we looking at at least 2" from the back of the bow to the very tip of the arrow?

If so, we are looking at a draw length of 30-31" (I'd guess about 30.5") or so with a 33" arrow?

Quote:
Thus, a 30.5" long arrow with a 2" bodkin will be around 32.25" long total (assuming a 1/4" deep nock - about average for a MR arrow)

So based on the above, and the fact an average Mary Rose arrow was 29.9", adding the bodkin gets it to 31.9", subtract the two inches mentioned above and we have a 29.9" draw (30" draw for simplicity sake).

I would think the above calculation make sense. How about you?
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way Randall, I am not using the above as a "proof" of sorts that a 30" 140 lb draw means that longbows generally do not pierce armour when factoring in Williams testing. Big Grin

I DO think longbows arrows pierced mail if reasonably close - I agree with Bane in that the piercing device used for testing armours resistance to arrows probably did not best represent a bows piercing ability - testing heads similar to a needle nose bodkin and type 16 broadhead would have probably produced different results, though not to the extent Bane's testing did.

I DO think however this should be factored in to any statements about Joulles produced by longbows and stored energy.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

BTW Glennan, as I said nice pic, but one from the arrow side of the bow would have made calculations a bit easier Big Grin
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe this simpler way of saying it will make my point more clear.

You cannot have a 32" arrow with a 32" draw. If so, the tip arrow would be even with the back of the bow. It could "span" it in essence, though it would probably break under the strain.

If your tip protrudes about an inch from the front of the bow, and the bow is abut 1" think, you are looking at a max draw of (arrow length - 2") or so.

Now the average length of an MR arrow was 29.9". Using this idea:

Quote:
The length of an arrow is the distance from the bottom of the nock to the shoulder of the head. Thus, a 30.5" long arrow with a 2" bodkin will be around 32.25" long total (assuming a 1/4" deep nock - about average for a MR arrow)

This seems pretty accurate, other than Glennan seems to have added a little over 1/2" to the measured lengths of the MR Arrows.

Assuming a 32" arrow, the most common length of MR arrow with a 2" bodkin as Glennan proposes, you have a max draw length of about 30". The picture Glennon has supports this.

If his arrow is about 33", he is getting about a 31" draw.

So using the most common length MR arrow lengths, it would seem the most common MR draw length was about 30" or so.

Does this make more sense?

Edit:

BTW, is this blurb is accurate, looks like a common bodkin adds about 2-3/8 of an inch to the length of an arrow shaft

Quote:
Bodkin arrowhead of Museum of London typology number 7. It's believed this type of arrowhead was extremely common, and archaeological finds bear this out. Thought to be an arrowhead of "armor piercing" type.

Very good for target shooting-- light, small and sturdy. Easy to withdraw from a straw bale or matt, or from a foam target.

Specs:
overall length - 2-3/4" (70mm)long
head length - 1-1/2" (35mm)
socket length - 1-1/4" (30mm)
socket inside diameter - 3/8" (9mm)
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary,

I think what you are saying is basically what I am saying. I agree you cannot draw a 33" arrow all the way or it will no longer have the bow to rest upon and swing inward, which would not be good.

RPM
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glennan Carnie wrote:
A well-made high-altitude yew bow will draw about 16lbs per inch for about the first 28 - 30 inches. After that, because of the design of the limbs, the draw-weight drops to about 7lbs per inch. Therefore, bracing the bow an inch higher has much more effect (relatively) than reducing the draw-length by an inch.

Of course, this is complete rubbish. I should really read what I've written.

The draw-weight increase should be about 10lb / inch from brace, dropping off to about 6lb / inch as the draw-length increases.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I think what you are saying is basically what I am saying.

Whew! Wanted to make sure we were not debating opposite sides of an issue when we were both thinking the same thng Big Grin

Quote:
The draw-weight increase should be about 10lb / inch from brace, dropping off to about 6lb / inch as the draw-length increases.

Makes sense, Glennan. I guess around a 28"-30" draw is where you see the stacking issues come into play? (Stacking for me meaning that the increase in draw weight does not transfer equally to the additional energy being imparted to the arrow)

I might add that it seems the peak performance to draw length appears to be in that 28-30" range, which would roughly correspond with what seems to be an average draw length.

Interesting, these bowyers of the middle ages certainly did not have computers or a true understanding of physics as we know it, but it appears the bow and arrows combined to be in the most efficient draw length for a bow of that type. Amazing what these bowyers knew, and I don't think this was by accident but design.

Looks like with the 30" MR arrows, and a 2" bodkin head, the most common draw was about 30" then.

The longer arrows - perhaps these were for the longer bows? THey ranged from 6'-7' I have heard, perhaps the longer arrows were used by longer ones in this range.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a listing of found "longbows" other than those on the Mary Rose:

Quote:
The first of the five surviving bows, by tradition, dates from the Battle
of Flodden (1513). The Flodden Bow is a self yew weapon, 'probably of English yew",
approximately six feet long, and "rather roughly made". The estimated
strength of the weapon is between 80 and 90 pounds.

Unfortunately, the Mendlesham Bow is broken. It is a self bow of 53 inches
length. Paterson believes: "Assuming that the mid-point of the bow is about
one inch above the centre of the grip, this would suggest a bow length of
about 68-69 inches - if the remnant is an upper limb - or about 71 inches
if it is the lower limb. I am inclined to suggest the former as the more
likely choice."27 The surviving limb tip is shaped to take a horn nock for the bow string
loop. That would make the total length of the bow a little over six feet
tall. Measurements suggest a draw-weight of 80 pounds at 28 inches.

the Hedgeley Moor Bow is also something of a mystery. It is reputed to have been used at the Battle of Hedgeley Moor (1464), during the War of the Roses. The weapon was presented to Alnwick Castle by John Wilkinson, whose family lived on the Castle estate from the
time of the battle. "It is 65.5 inches inches in length, 3.5 inches at its greatest girth, with
greatest width of 1.5 inches. The wood is probably yew..."30 Draw weight is estimated at 50 pounds.29

These two bows are on display in the Armouries in the Tower of London.
Inventory records show that they are made of yew wood, "of rounded section,
tapered at tips to take the nocks, now missing".34 The largest of the bows
is 75 inches long.The smaller stave is 72.75 inches long. Both bows are 4.5
inches at "greatest girth" and weigh 1 pound, 10 ounces.35 They are
symmetrical weapons, utilising the same 'D'-shape as the Floddern Bow.

Both weapons are unfinished looking, but as pointed out previously, this is
a characteristic of yew wood. Ford, in his study of the Mary Rose bows,
notes that they are self bows, made from "foreign yew" and had an estimated
draw weight of 65 to 70 pounds.36

What I am curious of here, does anyone know how the draw weights were tested? Reason I ask, the Mary Rose bows were at first thought to average 115 lbs or so, later testing was more in the lines of 155 lbs.

Were these bows tested similar to the first tests of the Mary Rose bows or more similar to the second tests?

If more similar to the first, would it not make sense to add a good 20-35% to the estimated draw eights?
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There isn't much point testing the original artefacts since it tells us nothing about the wood's capability when new. The best you can do is test reconstructions using similar wood and confirm the results with computer modelling, which is what was done with MR bows.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking Dan.

I thought that perhaps the first tests of the Mary Rose bows were done in this way, perhaps these other bows were tested that way as well, though since one of them is broken I guess that would be impossible.

I would think a true testing based on replicating the bows materials would be tough though, or at least would take a while. Was not the practice to age thecut wood a year or two before it could make a suitable bow?
William P

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

one question about crecy, by the time of the battle, what was the main form of body armour,

one book of mine detailing the changes to knights, mostly english knights, from 1200-1600, and on the chapter on knights from 1300-1400, it seems to suggest that breastplates, i.e one or two piece ones were made in germany during the 1340's and froissarts chronicles seems to depict everyone in full harness, with sallets as well.

but i personally was under the impression that the coat of plates,. like the ones found at wisby were the main form of armour in the first half of the 14th century??
R. Kolick

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After reading some of these statements I’m wondering how many of you have shot a real longbow or composite recurve bow
- first read the book on the Mary Rose it rates the average weight of a war bow at between 110 and 170 lbs for the record they found REAL war bows
-Second the long needle nose bodkin was used for mail not plate shorter heavier bodkins were used.
-third if their only purpose was to disrupted the enemy than the English would never have won once because when facing 3-to-1 odds or worse in France than they would never have won Crecy or Agincourt
-finally if an arrow was merely an annoyance why then where archers tortured slaughtered and castrated if they were just a pain in the ass instead of just killed
Yes an arrow wouldn’t always pierce plate but even if it doesn’t it would knock someone on their ass which if you on a horse in 50-60 lbs of steel armor would very likely Break Your Neck. the archer was just as costly to train as a knight it took ten years to train an archer to use a war bow (see reason one why) it was just easier to equip them. It would not be a kill every time because the point of a bodkin wasn’t very broad but when it hit I would usually pierce plate and wound if not kill.
My only comment is that if you are so sure that a bow can’t shoot through plate than shoot a true weight war bow 110 lbs+ at a 2mm breastplate with a bodkin see what happens but history seems to say that it will pierce through the armor and on the French where lead by idiots your right and if an arrow wouldn’t kill you why would the French cower in their fortresses if it was safe you’ve almost been hit by an arrow (and I have) it scares the crap out of you and that’s because an arrow if it hits you can kill you so it stands to reason that the French weren’t hiding from a little thing such as “disruption” but more likely death.
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R. Kolick wrote:
Yes an arrow wouldn’t always pierce plate but even if it doesn’t it would knock someone on their ass which if you on a horse in 50-60 lbs of steel armor would very likely Break Your Neck...

I am not going to get involved in the wider argument about arrows vs plate, in part because my only experience with arrows on humans is getting shot with one when not wearing armour ( it hurts btw). On the other hand, I have to question the physics in the section I have quoted. Newton's 3rd law is pretty clear, and any shot that would "knock someone on their ass" will also knock the shooter on their own ass. As amusing as battles with archers and knights flying all over the place would be, I don't think there is any reason to believe this is what was going on.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R. Kolick wrote:
My only comment is that if you are so sure that a bow can’t shoot through plate than shoot a true weight war bow 110 lbs+ at a 2mm breastplate with a bodkin see what happens

Mark Stretton has already done ths. It is the only test that even goes close to replicating historical plate. It is fully documented and published in the Royal Armouries journal. IIRC he used a 150 lb bow at a range of 10m. He demonstrated fairly conclusively that a 150 lb warbow cannot penetrate 2mm plate far enough to cause serious injury.
Cite: "A report of the findings of the Defence Academy warbow trials Part 1 Summer 2005." By Paul Bourke and David Whetham. Arms and Armour 2007 pp.53-82.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arrows vs armour
Page 9 of 21 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: