Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arrows vs armour Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next 
Ahmad Al-Tabari

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hill wrote:
A point to refine your statements:

It seems commonly accepted here that the footman with arrows sticking all over them are wearing padded jackets, or cloth armor on top of the chainmail. This being the case the cloth armor is what defeated the arrow, not the mail, stating that chain held up to arrows while the chain was behind the cloth is like claiming chain armor will protect you from a bullet, provided you wear a bullet proof vest above the chain. The cloth armor diffuses the energy of the arrow so that by the time it gets to the mail it does not have the energy to punch through it and it is easily stopped. There was a reason you wore both chain and cloth and it is the combination of armor that kept them safe from many threats. Keeping this in mind the historical examples of porcupines in the crusades only shows that cloth armor will help protect against arrows. If an arrow were to stick into chain itself it would have defeated it as the arrow needs a portion of the tip to be inside the target to hold, otherwise it bounces off.

I will have to disagree. Most written and illustrated records show that Mail almost always worn on top of the padding (In the middle east, cloaks and robes were often worn on top of the mail, but that was mostly to stop the mail from heating). This make sense, because even if an arrow broke a mail link, the force of the arrow will most likely be sufficently weakened for the padding underneath to stop it.

That doesnt mean that there arent any exceptions to this, but I am quite sure the majourity of medieval soldiers wore their mail over the cloth armour. If you have any records that prove otherwise, I more than willing to change my mind.

"My blow cut about four inches off the dagger blade and severed his forearm in two. The mark of the edge of the dagger was left on the edge of my sword. A craftman in our town, on seeing it, said: "I can remove this dent." But I said: "Leave it as it is. It is the best thing on my sword." The mark is there to this day." -Usamah Ibn Munqidh
Ahmad Al-Tabari

PostPosted: Fri 17 Sep, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mail armour works!         Reply with quote

Mikael Ranelius wrote:
Ahmad Al-Tabari wrote:

The bodkin arrow started being used at a time when mail was being suplemented by brigandines and coats of plates in Europe, and so I dont understand the incessant testing of bodkin arrows against poorly made unriveted and unsupported mail by longbow enthusiasts. I also feel irritated by people who judge on the effectivenes of mail by how well it stands to ONE kind of arrowhead used by ONE people (British). Mail was used all over the world, not just in England and France, So when attempting to test the effectiveness of mail, please do try to broaden your testing methods.

Not entirely true, as socketed bodkin-tipped arrows are known from late Viking-age Scandinavia (the vast majority still being tanged ones though). As for the high- and late Middle Ages, bodkins seems to be the most common category of arrow heads found in Scandinavia, or Sweden at least.

Quote:
The welsh inspired English longbow being more powerfull than other European longbows

The English war bow was not inspired by the Welsh weapon, and we don't know whether or not English archers pulled more powerful bows than others did. In fact everything we know seems to suggest that the Scots, French, Burgundians and others made use of equally heavy bows, although they appear to have preferred a shorter draw length.

Its true, some bodkin shaped arrows have been found in Viking era Scandinavia. But, there are two points that must be taken into account. First, these arrows were made of iron, while the late medieval bodkins were made of much more effective steel. And as you mentioned, these arrows werent widely used. Broadheads were more common as it was probably preferred against lightly armoured opponents.

As for the English longbow, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that it was inspired by the Welsh. The Welsh longbow was a well known and feared weapon. When King Edward the Longshanks defeated William Wallace in the battle of Falkirk, the victory was in part due to a contingent of Welsh longbowmen. I think that since King Edward put such importance on his Welsh auxillaries (who were likely of dubious loyalty) implies that English archers of that period had yet to develop into the deadly force seen at the Hundred Years War. And even then, the English armies constantly had many Welsh archers in the the ranks.

And so, even if the English longbow was not developed from the Welsh bow, there is no question of the influence the Welsh had on English archery.

"My blow cut about four inches off the dagger blade and severed his forearm in two. The mark of the edge of the dagger was left on the edge of my sword. A craftman in our town, on seeing it, said: "I can remove this dent." But I said: "Leave it as it is. It is the best thing on my sword." The mark is there to this day." -Usamah Ibn Munqidh
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 18 Sep, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mail armour works!         Reply with quote

Ahmad Al-Tabari wrote:
First, these arrows were made of iron, while the late medieval bodkins were made of much more effective steel. And as you mentioned, these arrows werent widely used.

Can you cite any studies? None of the bodkins so far analysed have turned out to be hardened steel as far as I know.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 18 Sep, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahmad,

Edward I employed lots and lots of English archers in his wars. I have read through the three major royal records from Henry III on to Henry VII and can promise the idea that Edward I was employing only Welsh or even majority Welsh archers in his wars is incorrect. In fact recent work has shown that even in Wales much of the south was not even really Welsh, at least how most people would think of them. This is important as Edward relied on his marcher lords and their men in much of his Wales campaigns. While many of these men perhaps thought of themselves as Welsh in some sense, they had long sense adopted much of English military culture.

Now the reason why he and following English kings draw men in large numbers from northern Wales after Edward I takes over is simple. They, or their family, are now the direct feudal lords of the area. Truth be told thousands of English archers are drawn up around the same time as well. The idea that England early on did not have just as many if not more archers than Wales just is not born out by the historic records we have. Sure they use the Welsh, just as they use any other part of their realm, England, Gascony, Ireland and Wales- Heck Edward I and Edward III try employing the Scots even but that does not really work. It goes back to romanticizing national identities. Literally the Patent Rolls are full of general levies then commissions of arrays all over England for archers during Edward I's reign. Population wise Wales could never compete with England, just like England in the end could not compete with France's recruitment base for archers in the 1440s.

I see no reason to think the English warbow developed from the Welsh but think maybe influenced by the Welsh might work in some ways but I am not convinced. They were using English archers in England by at least Henry I's reign. The Great Warbow has loads of pre-Edward I references to the use of English archers in large forces. The difference between this earlier use and Edward I perhaps but more so Edward III is the percentage of them in the total army- going from a group of limited numbers to making up 50% or more. For this reason to me I am not sure it is developed or influenced from as Edward III had little to nothing of Welsh archery experience. If the real change had been in Edward I's reign maybe but I am not sure that is the case. What happens in Edward I's reign is an updating of the old and crumbling general levy for service outside the home county to the Commission of Array. This gives the king clear and direct power to raise men to do military service outside their home counties, something that earlier was often contested, in addition to ineffective.

RPM
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
I have no doubt that composite bows at times got to the same draw weight. My thought is that these were not for mounted men generally. Especially in areas where horse archery was not predominant in the Near East having powerful composite bows for men on foot would be important to counter the mobility of horse archery. I have seen a number of experts hit the 100-115 range as average and that works fairly well.

Very true. In the glory days of the Ottoman Empire, one of the most important groups of bow users were the Janissaries, and it made sense that these elite infantrymen would have wanted particularly powerful bows that could outshoot opposing horse-archers. It's also worth noting that the Crusader accounts of arrows sticking into men without doing any harm often had a dimension of long-range shooting in them--horse archers shot primarily at point-blank ranges (which means they--except the Manchus--didn't need particularly heavy bows in order to shoot effectively), but the presence of large numbers of crossbowmen in the Crusaders' army could prevent them from closing in and thus force them to shoot at longer ranges where their arrows would have had a great deal less penetrating power than at the preferred (i.e. very short) range, especially if they had to use lighter flight arrows in order to achieve the necessary range.
Ahmad Al-Tabari

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mail armour works!         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Ahmad Al-Tabari wrote:
First, these arrows were made of iron, while the late medieval bodkins were made of much more effective steel. And as you mentioned, these arrows werent widely used.

Can you cite any studies? None of the bodkins so far analysed have turned out to be hardened steel as far as I know.

Dan,

I recall reading that the reason the bodkin arrowhead was effective was because, unlike other arrowheads, it was made of steel. Unfortunately I cant remember where I read it. As soon as I find the citation I will post it on this thread.

Ahmad Al-Tabari

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats really interesting. I guess the Anglicised Welshmen might have considered themselves as Englishmen. but its also possible that despite their assimilation into English culture they retained a seperate "school" of archery.

I am sure English Archers played an important role before Edward I, as they were instrumental in replulsing the French Invasion of 1216. But somehow I cant help but feel that there is a correlation between military contact with Wales and the increase of Importance of archery in English armies. Assuming that the English did not adopt elements of Welsh archery, it can still be argued that after fighting the Welsh the English developed an increased respect for the longbow as they saw how the welsh used it to deadly effect.

But then again thats all speculation Happy

Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mail armour works!         Reply with quote

Ahmad Al-Tabari wrote:
I recall reading that the reason the bodkin arrowhead was effective was because, unlike other arrowheads, it was made of steel. Unfortunately I cant remember where I read it. As soon as I find the citation I will post it on this thread.

Citing secondary sources is no help since most of them don't know what they are talking about. I am interested in an actual report of a bodkin analysis.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The development of the english warbow is probably a result of the practice of drafting bowmen, rather than the other way around.
In the high middle ages, light infantry where seen as unsuitable for melee combat. As a result, some juridistictions, notably England, leavied the lowest ranks of society as archers instead.
As these showed themselves usefull, they where required by law to train for war, shooting volley fire at distant targets, prompting heavier bows than those use for hunting.

It could be held to support this theory that the english longbow regiments where replaced by pikemen in short order during the 16th c, when pike leavies showed themselves effective.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling,

hard to say if they replaced bowmen. Seems more like they are replacing men at arms and armed men than bowmen to my understanding of the trends in the 16th.

RPM
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

During the Third Crusade Richard the Lionhearted seems to have made a great deal of use of crossbowmen but little is mentioned about archers, at least as far as I know ?

If archers where used in Richard's time it may have been in small select numbers and I would guess in that case used as snipers/marksman targeting specific high value targets rather than massed volleys of arrows ? But then in this kind of usage the slow firing crossbow can do the same jobs ( Relatively slow to the bow, but not so slow with the early crossbows using a foot stirrup and/or belt hooks compared with the heavier and later pulley and very slow to load crossbows ).

So when mass volleys where seen to be useful I would also guess that archers would become very desirable and more and more numerous.

Sort of the chicken versus the egg question: Did the usefulness of mass volleys cause the use of great numbers of archers or did a slow increase in the number of archers reach a tipping point where their usefulness in volley fire ( loosing of arrows ) became very obvious ? I would guess that before being used in the thousands in large battles smaller skirmishes involving only a few score of archers would create minie volleys in proportion to only a few hundred fighters: I guess 50 archers in a small fight would have the effect of mass volleys at least in scale. From there I think the idea might take off.

On the other hand, archers in large numbers where used by others like the Byzantines, both foot and horse archers and having a cased bow part of the backup equipment of even their heavy cavalry.

The idea of mass volleys would never have been completely " new " but maybe at the time of Richard the advantages of the crossbow was effective enough and the power of the longbow not fully appreciated ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 21 Sep, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it may be because most of Richard's crossbowmen weren't native English but rather Italian or other mercenaries.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Sep, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
On the other hand, archers in large numbers where used by others like the Byzantines, both foot and horse archers and having a cased bow part of the backup equipment of even their heavy cavalry.

By the time of the Crusades, however, the Byzantines were already having some problems in maintaining the skill of archery among their troops. Native Byzantine cavalry of this time (i.e. those who were not Turks or Western-style latinikoi) were lancers, somewhat less heavily equipped than Western European men-at-arms but heavier than most Turks and Arabs. The massive archer battalions of the Nikephorian/Macedonian period also seemed to have been mostly gone too.

Quote:
The idea of mass volleys would never have been completely " new " but maybe at the time of Richard the advantages of the crossbow was effective enough and the power of the longbow not fully appreciated ?

And why must massed volleys be restricted to the longbow? While 12th- or 13th-century crossbows might have been slower to load, this could have been compensated either by using deep formations with a rank-rotation scheme or by withholding the first volley until the enemy came into point-blank range. Whichever way they used, Crusader crossbows seemed to have been able to keep a sustained shower of missiles, perhaps not as heavy as that loosed by a body of English longbowmen in a shooting frenzy but definitely enough to persuade their enemies to stay out of crossbow range.

Luka Borscak wrote:
I think it may be because most of Richard's crossbowmen weren't native English but rather Italian or other mercenaries.

Richard's crossbowmen in the Crusades were probably a mix of nations with the English being a minority, but in the wars back home (mostly in France) there seems to have been a great deal of local recruitment as well. Of course, it's pretty hard to decide whether these native crossbowmen were English or French (or, most probably, both) since the lords of the Angevin Empire didn't appear to have drawn a very firm dividing line between their English and French possessions.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 26 Sep, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:

Quote:

And why must massed volleys be restricted to the longbow? While 12th- or 13th-century crossbows might have been slower to load, this could have been compensated either by using deep formations with a rank-rotation scheme or by withholding the first volley until the enemy came into point-blank range. Whichever way they used, Crusader crossbows seemed to have been able to keep a sustained shower of missiles, perhaps not as heavy as that loosed by a body of English longbowmen in a shooting frenzy but definitely enough to persuade their enemies to stay out of crossbow range.

Yes that was my point that crossbows volley would have been considered effective and the rate of " fire " would have been reasonably high with the period crossbows being manually pulled with hands only or with a belt hook and not as slow as the later but more powerful crossbows. As you said deep formations and a rotation system would have produced dense enough volleys. My observation was that in the time of Richard the longbow if used at all was maybe a specialist weapon and probably most bows of the lower power hunting type that crossbows would greatly overmatch in power.

So on this point I think we are in agreement. Wink Cool ( Not that I disagree with the other parts of your post ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dredging up an old topic..... Big Grin

I hope I am a bit better at evaluating testing than I was before, bit I'm going to make some statements about this test, that seems to be the rallying point for those believing in the longbow as a superweapon:

http://www.currentmiddleages.org/artsci/docs/...esting.pdf

A few arrors -

1) The calculations went through by Bane don't seem to match up with the numbers Hardy came up with for loss of enrgy by an arrow through distance. based on Hardy's result, the enrgy produced by Bane's longbow . This would more seem to simulate a 110 lb longbow at 150 yards, not 240 yards.

2) The mail - hard to doubt or question without true knowledge of how it was made, but I would agree, Schmid's mail would be a better choice, or at least a more respected better known choice.

3) The Padding - What I have read, padding was usually 17+ layers of linen. Doe the 2 layers of linen and 1 inch of batted cotton relfect the true period padding worn?

4) The Bow - He makes no comments about period string. The string used very well could have been modern how string, which can add 5-10% to the effectiveness. A similar test was done for turkish bows, and the tester used instead of modern bowstring a dacron fiber that was to mimic the tensile properties of silk, used as string for these bows.

5) The taughtness and small materials used for mail - would this not aid in an arrow penetrating, and not be indicative of true battlefield condidtions?

6) The arrows - They seem to be made of materials designed to mimic the C. 1545 Mary Rose Arrows. Were these not later technology, and not indicative of C. 1400 arrows? I knew plate got harder during this time. And what's worse, the steely construction of the arrow heads was also used for the needle nose bodkins, and from what I understand these have always been found in an unhardened condition?

7) The plate - aside from any questions on the hardness of the plate, it's 1.2 mm thick. This thickness was what you will most often be seen in Limb armour, or in the earlier period, worn in addition tomail and padding. Breastplates designed to be worn without mail were almost neve this thin. I guess to truly test the effectiveness of C 1400 plate, this should be used over the mail and padding.
Ahmad Tabari

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The wire gauge they used for the mail was too light relative to the internal diameter. If they wish to use 18 gauge (1 mm) wire then the internal diameter of the ring should be no more than 6 mm.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary,

Why would you dredge this up..... I can see the earth trembling and smoking already.

I do not know if any one familiar with the evidence thinks that the war bow is a super weapon. Clearly it was effective, very effective, but as everything has limitations.

On to your points-
1- Yes but not as big of an issue. 150 yards on foot is still a long walk for a guy on foot, especially not fully armoured. It must have been a hellish experience to march forward under such an arrow storm. Recent work has improved on this work.

2) Mail, yep not many would argue that using more correct replicas would not be better. That said every one trying to select one type, size, design of mail is missing the fact that mail was not one single size, shape or thickness so results vary. I am sure some arrows would be repelled by mail. I am also sure some mail will will not. A million factors are vital to this as well. One would have to make a range of mail, same as with plate, to get it right.

3) Not sure where you got this idea for padding but to my mind not supported by evidence. There is no evidence that anything besides a padded garment was used prior to the 1360s. Before this the only evidence is for two layers of linen with cotton wool. With Charles's gambeson we have a multilayered garment with padding. I know of little evidence till the mid 15th that has anything close to 17 layers of anything without padding, nor does it appear to have superseded the padded types which continued on in use for some time.

4)Not a big issue really. The 5%, even 10% difference really would still leave a large amount of possible success. As well our understanding of and manufacture of similar products may or may not be representative to what was then part of a well and strictly governed trade.

5)see 2)

6)Actually we have a few arrows likely from the 15th and they are surprisingly similar to some of the MR arrows. Appears technology was fairly similar. As far as armour hardness it seems to be a minority of armour so while a factor it is hardly representative as a whole. Yes the long bodkins have 0 evidence of being hardened steel but there are two varieties of heads that show some were hard. This was mentioned before in the 7 previous pages here.

7) Not quite. Limb armour perhaps as an average could be around this 1-1.2mm but parts of many places on armour were this thin or thinner. As well some armour on a whole is thinner. Since no one has done a really comprehensive study on armour thickness it is harder to hazard a guess but having looked at a fair number of originals I can tell you I have seen helmets and breastplates with a fairly large surface area that was around this range (1.2mm).

The truth of the matter is both sides are likely wrong- to an extent, the superweapon and the armour invincibility crowd. Once people get to grips with this the issue actually is a lot easier to deal with. Yes armour often repelled arrows under given factors and on occasion it was compromised.

So many factors, so little time...

RPM
T. Arndt

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:

....The truth of the matter is both sides are likely wrong- to an extent, the superweapon and the armour invincibility crowd. Once people get to grips with this the issue actually is a lot easier to deal with. Yes armour often repelled arrows under given factors and on occasion it was compromised...
RPM

I'm not in the armour invincibility crowd except when it comes to the torso itself. In the testing linked above we see padded armor, mail and coat of plate/plate stop an arrow with varying degrees of effectiveness. I think this all seems reasonable; however, if I was a late 14th century man-at-arms with a Coat of Plates / breatplate + Mail + gambeson/aketon I don't think an arrow is going to penetrate even at point blank range. It might bruise like hell, or kill me if it hits my arm pit, but square in the chest I am safe.

My horse on the other hand is toast-

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T.,

The issue is torso armour is not uniform. I am sure depending on where it hits is a major factor as the further from the center the thinner most breastplates are. As well some COP plates are only .8mm-1mm. So I'd not be that confident in the torso armours layers, point blank I'd think you'd be in a very high danger level. That said 50-100 yards out I'd assume it would be near impossible to put an arrow through. I am not sue any one would be safe point blank without more than standard armour. Same goes with helmets, sides and bottom, often visors are drastically thinner material than the top front.

I figure square in the chest you have by far the best chance of survival but once again I'd not be confident with point blank shots. If I had to fight armour likely increases such a chance of survival drastically but I do not think any armour made or makes a soldier have a 0% chance of casualties.

RPM
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The armour thickness Randall, I am referencing this info:

Quote:
Armor thickness, from Hardy unless noted
Four bascinets, 1370-1380
Top front: 2.44-4.57 mm
Side or visor snout: 1.27-2.54 mm
Breastplate ca 1400, Churburg 2.6 kg (Williams) This is probably equivalent to an average thickness of about 1.5 mm. The segmented breastplate at Churburg is 2.63 kg but wraps partly around the back, and so would be somewhat thinner. It seems likely that breastplates intended to by worn over habergeons tended to be somewhat thinner than those intended to be worn over arming doublets with mail gussets. The velvet covered breastplate with a skirt of hoops in Munich weighs 4.6 kg (Williams)
Breastplate ca 1470 2.03-2.79 mm
Five Breastplates 1470-1510 1.5-2.5 mm, 2.1 mm median (Williams)
Cuisses 1390 1.78-1.27 mm
Legs and Cuisses 1510 .8-.7 mm, breastplate 1.3 mm (Williams)
The AVANT armor, ca 1440, Glasgow (formerly Churburg 20) 57 lbs (25.9 kg) without tassets, right gardbrace and left gauntlet, a relatively heavy armor for its size and period. Thickness measured by Robert MacPherson:

Gauntlets: 1-1.8 mm
Lower arms, 1.1-1.5 mm, avg. 1.3mm
Upper arms 1.1-1.9 mm, avg. 1.4 mm
Greaves.6-1.55 mm, avg. ca 1mm
Breastplate 2.3-3.2 mm, avg. for center front 2.8 mm

For the layers of linen issue, I'm sorry Ido not have the exact source. I am referencing information in an Ian Heath book, a direct quote of european mercenaries in the employ of byzantium, the quote reads something to this effect "21 layers of linen, treated with rough wine". The time period IIRC is around the time of the battle of Manikzert.

#1 and #4 may not be huge either way, bt when combined with each other, they would make a difference.

Seems like minimum thickness armour was used, calcualtions on the range that put the armour at a disadvantage, as well as the 5-10% attributed to the string. All combined, all these differences seem to favor the bow.

Quote:
Yes the long bodkins have 0 evidence of being hardened steel but there are two varieties of heads that show some were hard. This was mentioned before in the 7 previous pages here

Seems the author used differeing time periods, the needle nosed bodkin but hardening it. If trying to truly see the effects of 1400 longbows vs armour, they should have stuck as closely as possible to the exact period info for both arms and armour.

Quote:
The truth of the matter is both sides are likely wrong- to an extent, the superweapon and the armour invincibility crowd. Once people get to grips with this the issue actually is a lot easier to deal with. Yes armour often repelled arrows under given factors and on occasion it was compromised.

Here I agree Randall. I do think Bane has a point regarding the Williams testing - the Pyramidal head used would be most appropriate for a stubby bodkin, which seemed to be the worst peircer of the arrowhead types Bane tested.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arrows vs armour
Page 7 of 21 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: