
| myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term. Last 10 Donors: Adam James, Piotr H. Feret, Graham Shearlaw, Anonymous, Daniel Sullivan, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins (View All Donors) |
| Author |
Message |
|
Dan D'Silva
|
Posted: Thu 20 Nov, 2025 6:37 am Post subject: Safavid archery equipment |
|
|
Hello everyone.
I've been thinking of putting together an archery set (bow, arrows, bowcase, quiver and belt) based on the kind used in Safavid Iran. I'm specifically thinking of late in the period, c. 1700, although I know the army had largely switched over to gunpowder by then.
From what little I can find, going by period artwork, it looks as though the Safavids used similar equipment to the Ottomans, which makes sense, but obviously similar isn't the same as identical (if you compare the Ottoman and Safavid swords, for instance). So basically what I'm looking for is whether there were any features peculiar to the Safavid/Qizilbash/Turcoman equipment in this period.
|
|
|
 |
|
Sean Manning
|
Posted: Thu 20 Nov, 2025 8:35 am Post subject: |
|
|
Have you tried M. Khorasani's books? The Moroccan manuscript on archery was probably copied at the start of Safavid times but composed a hundred years or so earlier. Also the Asiatic Traditional Archery Network on Facebook and Bede Dwyer.
There are also the manuscripts, printed books, paintings, and keepsakes from Sir Robert Shirley and brothers' time in Iran. There is a decent chance that the British crown still owns some archery sets for example, like the Austrian Republic still has some 16th and 17th-century armour from the Hapsburgs' imperial colleagues in Japan.
weekly writing ~ material culture
|
|
|
 |
|
Dan D'Silva
|
Posted: Fri 21 Nov, 2025 11:53 am Post subject: |
|
|
Thanks. I've looked at Manouchehr's book but the lowest price I can find it for is nearly $150, and I'm on the fence about whether I can justify the expense just for the reference materials for one project (though it may prove useful in the future).
I'll definitely check with ATARN and see about contacting Bede Dwyer.
|
|
|
 |
|
Sean Manning
|
Posted: Fri 21 Nov, 2025 6:55 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Khorasani's Arms & Armour from Iran definitely has Safavid bows, arrows, quivers, and bowcases with thirty pages of analysis of archery equipment.
weekly writing ~ material culture
|
|
|
 |
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum
|
All contents © Copyright 2003-2026 myArmoury.com All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum
|