Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Arms & Armour from Iran by Manouchehr. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Jean Thibodeau




Location: Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Likes: 50 pages
Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5
Posts: 8,148

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Arms & Armour from Iran by Manouchehr.         Reply with quote

Here is the European publisher of Manouchehr book on arms and armour from Iran. The price is more affordable if one goes directly to the publisher: 177 Euros including shipping to Canada or around $235 U.S. or $275 Canadian.

I ordered the book and it was easy to do as they accept Paypal.

Link to the publisher: http://www.legat-verlag.de/shop/index.php?lang=en_EN

Manouchehr Moshtagh Khorasani
Arms and Armor from Iran
The Bronze Age to the End of the Qajar Period
Legat Publishers
780 pages, 30,5 x 27 cm
over 2,800 color images
over 600 black-and-white images;
over 1,000 cross-references,
Map of Iran, Timetable
10 tables and over 160 illustrations (line drawings)
Hardcover with jacket
ISBN-13: 978-3-932942-22-8


If you navigate the site you casn easily find the information you need about shipping etc ....

By the way I got very fast replies to my e-mails.

I haven't browsed the whole site yet to see what other books I might find interesting.

I decided to look into this after reading about the book in this Topic thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=9633

I did P.M. Manouchehr to get the name of his publisher and I'm passing along the information if others also want the book at the best price. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message
Jean Henri Chandler




Location: New Orleans
Joined: 20 Nov 2006

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,042

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Arms & Armour from Iran by Manouchehr.         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Here is the European publisher of Manouchehr book on arms and armour from Iran. The price is more affordable if one goes directly to the publisher: 177 Euros including shipping to Canada or around $235 U.S. or $275 Canadian.

I ordered the book and it was easy to do as they accept Paypal.

Link to the publisher: http://www.legat-verlag.de/shop/index.php?lang=en_EN

Manouchehr Moshtagh Khorasani
Arms and Armor from Iran
The Bronze Age to the End of the Qajar Period
Legat Publishers
780 pages, 30,5 x 27 cm
over 2,800 color images
over 600 black-and-white images;
over 1,000 cross-references,
Map of Iran, Timetable
10 tables and over 160 illustrations (line drawings)
Hardcover with jacket
ISBN-13: 978-3-932942-22-8


If you navigate the site you casn easily find the information you need about shipping etc ....

By the way I got very fast replies to my e-mails.

I haven't browsed the whole site yet to see what other books I might find interesting.

I decided to look into this after reading about the book in this Topic thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=9633

I did P.M. Manouchehr to get the name of his publisher and I'm passing along the information if others also want the book at the best price. Big Grin


I would love to get a copy of that book, from what I saw on their website it looks absolutely fantastic. Bit out of my price range at the moment but I'm going to put some money in a jar for a few weeks and see what I can come up with.

Would be awesome if they released a PDF.

Jean

System D'Armes Historical European fencing in New Orleans

Essays on Hroarr

Introducing the Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic
View user's profile Send private message
Jean Thibodeau




Location: Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Likes: 50 pages
Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5
Posts: 8,148

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Arms & Armour from Iran by Manouchehr.         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:

I would love to get a copy of that book, from what I saw on their website it looks absolutely fantastic. Bit out of my price range at the moment but I'm going to put some money in a jar for a few weeks and see what I can come up with.

Would be awesome if they released a PDF.

Jean


There is the extra trill of getting a book authored by another myArmoury member and is sort of keeping the money in the family in a way of speaking. Wink Laughing Out Loud It really is a plus when World class scholars frequent this site: A true learning opportunity and very enjoyable when they are willing to spend so much time as Manouchehr does posting all those great museum pics. Cool

True this may be THE most expensive book I have ever bought except maybe for books I purchased decades ago with fewer dollars but when a dollar had 10 times the purchasing power ! I remember getting some great books costing me $25 when the average paperback book cost $1.25 and a really expensive harcover was below $10 ( around 1967 ) Wink Laughing Out Loud

Also I really looking forward to reading/ looking at this book dealing with a time and place that I know less about and arms and armour I haven't seen much of before.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message
Jean Henri Chandler




Location: New Orleans
Joined: 20 Nov 2006

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,042

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Arms & Armour from Iran by Manouchehr.         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

There is the extra trill of getting a book authored by another myArmoury member and is sort of keeping the money in the family in a way of speaking. Wink Laughing Out Loud It really is a plus when World class scholars frequent this site: A true learning opportunity and very enjoyable when they are willing to spend so much time as Manouchehr does posting all those great museum pics. Cool

True this may be THE most expensive book I have ever bought except maybe for books I purchased decades ago with fewer dollars but when a dollar had 10 times the purchasing power ! I remember getting some great books costing me $25 when the average paperback book cost $1.25 and a really expensive harcover was below $10 ( around 1967 ) Wink Laughing Out Loud

Also I really looking forward to reading/ looking at this book dealing with a time and place that I know less about and arms and armour I haven't seen much of before.


Yeah the photos I saw on the site were breathtaking ,and Iranian weaponry, armor and martial arts are relevant to what we do in many ways, I mean, doesn't the very concept of heavy armored cavalry come from Persia originally?

Jean

System D'Armes Historical European fencing in New Orleans

Essays on Hroarr

Introducing the Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic
View user's profile Send private message
Jean Thibodeau




Location: Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Likes: 50 pages
Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5
Posts: 8,148

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just received the book and it's too early for a review of it that would do it justice as it's going to take some time to read it all !

But a first impression just flipping the pages and looking at the photographs is ALL GOOD. Cool

Seems like the subject is treated in much more depth and variety of approach than the usual picture book that touches mostly on the art history aspects and a bit of history: Again, at a glance, there is a full historical background and a lot dealing with the use and design of Iranian weapons and armour. Exactly the sort of thing one wants to read when one's interest in in historical weapons and what most " scholarly books " written by art historians or museum curators usually don't mention at all.

The book is also physically HUGE and weighs a good 10 pounds Eek! One can get a workout just carrying it from room to room. Wink Laughing Out Loud

The book is divided into 50% of it's thickness being solid gold as far as information with simple line drawings and black & white photography. The last 50% of the book is filled with some of the best full colour photography I have seen anywhere and the captions next to the Photos so that one need not look at the first part of the book to get a description of what one sees on each page.
( something a bit tedious in some books where one has to look many hundreds of pages away to read about what is on the picture page. )

There are parts of the book dealing with such various things as the physical fitness exercises used traditionally by Iranian warriors to build strength and stamina. ( just one thing out of many I have just had time to skim. Cool The are months worth of reading here and enjoying eye-candy ).

The price was fully worth it for me. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message
Jean Thibodeau




Location: Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Likes: 50 pages
Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5
Posts: 8,148

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just ran across a review of the book in the Nov. 2007 edition of Tactical Knives in their book & video review section, by Steven Dick page 31: A short couple of quotes from the review: " Every once in a while I come across a book I consider, beyond doubt, monumental. " Arms and Armour from Iran " is one of those works ". " This book will be a must read for every serious student of antique edged weapons ".

http://www.tacticalknives.com/ Unfortunately the link to the magazine doesn't give you access to the actual article.

Also they give an American distributor link: http://www.artstockbooks.com/ (847) 381-6530
The specific link to the book: http://www.artstockbooks.com/book.php?id_book=54

Also seems like a good site to look at as there are other history/art related books.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Arms & Armour from Iran by Manouchehr.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum