Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New guy and a couple A&A Rapier questions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
G.L. Williamson





Joined: 25 Sep 2006

Posts: 20

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: New guy and a couple A&A Rapier questions         Reply with quote

Greetings, all...I hope I've gotten an appropriate enough forum for all this. Happy

First of all, I'm new in these parts, and thought I'd say hello to everyone. Thanks go to all of you, too, for providing and maintaining such a wonderful resource for all things swords. The articles and forum comments make this quite the place to camp for a bit on the 'net.

Now, for Arms and Armor questions:

I am soon to purchase one of a couple of their rapiers, and am wondering whether anyone can shed a little light on something for me. My primary favorites are the German Rapier, Milanese and the Gustav Vasa. I see from other posts, and the reviews posted on this site, that they're regarded as being quite fine examples, but have not found in a search the final bit that will help make my decision on which to go with first. Because it will likely be a wee while before I can play with more than one of their swords, it's (I hope...heheh) understandably a hard choice.

I realize the blade shapes and sizes are somewhat different, but which would any of you (those who have handled and/or own more than one of the three mentioned above) say really stands out in the group--for any reason? I will likely only use it for getting more used to performing exercises on my own, in preparation for getting more serious about rapier fencing. That, and to cuddle when the femalien isn't looking...heheh I know I'm not making it very easy for anyone to understand what might qualify any of these swords in my mind as "best," but any information you can impart will certainly help in my decision.

Depending on how soon my Albion Mark Spatha (Early Pattern type, purchased from Albion about 5 years ago and never used for anything) sells, I *may* be able to swing a scabbard and parrying dagger to match whichever of the above-mentioned rapiers I get. Because I have it listed on eBay currently, as far as I understand I should not post a link to that auction on this site, but can anyone offer any advice on a good place to get a little more attention for that sale? I would guess that not many searches happen on eBay for such items, and would love it to go to a good home soon, so that I may get more of the above goodies. Any advice is appreciated. Happy

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Fults




Location: Midwest
Joined: 02 Sep 2003

Posts: 3,416

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of the three, and its been a while since I held them all, I liked the Milan the most. Telling you why I liked it the best of the three would be a real challenge though. I remember I liked it better, but not really why.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it"
-Marcus Aurelius

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
-John F. Kennedy
View user's profile Send private message
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Alexandria, VA USA
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 4,138

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi there,
First and foremost, let me commend you on your excellent taste. Happy Those are three of my favorite production rapiers.

I own a Milanese, and have handled the other two. The Gustav Vasa was at least a year ago, so I don't remember exactly, but from what I recall it was the most cut oriented of the three swords. The German rapier is definately the most thrust oriented, and the Milanese in between. I'm quite fond of the handling of all three, though it should be noted that the Gustav Vasa and Milanese rapier sometimes surprise people with their weight and heft because they expect rapiers to be super light weight. The swords handle wonderfully, but if you're not accustomed to that, they might catch you off guard at first. The German rapier, though, is lightweight and much more in line with what people associate with rapiers. My personal favorite in terms of handling is the Milanese, though aesthetically I love the Gustav Vasa (and own a different version than the one they currently sell). But, man, do I really want the German rapier. Happy

Hope that helps at least a little.

Virginia Academy of Fencing Historical Swordsmanship
--German Longsword & Italian Rapier in the DC Area--


"A despondent heart will always be defeated regardless of skill."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Patrick Kelly




Location: Wichita, Kansas
Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 5,678

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like Bill, I used to own the Milanese and it was one of my favorite rapiers as I'm partial to the earlier cut & thrust styles of rapier play. It's a very fine example of the type and I often regret having to part with it. Of A&A's current offerings the Lombardy is my favorite.
View user's profile Send private message
G.L. Williamson





Joined: 25 Sep 2006

Posts: 20

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I sincerely appreciate the replies. They certainly help. Joe, I understand not quite being able to pin down a reason for liking one item over another. This is part of my problem here...heheh Bill, I like both the cut and thrust sort of swordplay as well as the later thrust-centric style. This is also part of my problem in deciding which sword to get first. Patrick, while I like the Lombardy, and appreciate the design, it just doesn't call to me like the others. The Milanese, however, haunts me. Happy

I love everything about the German Rapier--so much that it virtually sang to me the first time I saw it--but know that I want one or both of the others I mentioned at some point, anyway. Plus, they actually have the others in stock currently. If all else fails I can just get the Milanese for now (as it's in stock) and get the German later, or suffer a bit longer and have the guys up there make me a German and get the Milanese later. The Gustav Vasa, realistically, will be the third in the order of purchase. I've dropped A&A an email to ask how long I might be looking at on getting a German Rapier made (again, with the matching parrying dagger), and if it isn't too long a wait I'll likely go that route first. If it's more like a month or three, the Milanese will probably be the one for now. Man, soooo many beautiful swords, so little time (and femalien patience...lol). Hopefully, the A&A guys see my email soon and give me good news on a timeframe for the German Rapier.
View user's profile Send private message
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Cincinnati, OH
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 21 pages
Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15
Posts: 9,130

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: New guy and a couple A&A Rapier questions         Reply with quote

G.L. Williamson wrote:
Because I have it listed on eBay currently, as far as I understand I should not post a link to that auction on this site, but can anyone offer any advice on a good place to get a little more attention for that sale? I would guess that not many searches happen on eBay for such items, and would love it to go to a good home soon, so that I may get more of the above goodies. Any advice is appreciated. Happy

Thanks!


G.L.,
Hello and welcome. The only place on this site Ebay links are prohibited is in the Marketplace forum. They're prohibited there because we only want listings of items that are for freely for sale to people viewing this forum, with no strings attached. We also want for-sale listings to be more than a click-through link. If the item is for sale on Ebay, then it is subject to all of their rules and you are bound to sell it on Ebay, not here. In short, if it's for sale on Ebay, so it is not available for sale here.

There is actually a thread called Ebay Finds that folks use to let people know about items of interest to this community that are on Ebay. Posting your auction in there is perfectly appropriate. That thread is historically one of our most active. As for searchign on Ebay for this kind of stuff, I do that several times a week. I'm sure others do as well. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/


Last edited by Chad Arnow on Fri 29 Sep, 2006 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional




Joined: 20 Aug 2003
Reading list: 42 books

Posts: 2,607

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G.L. Williamson wrote:
I sincerely appreciate the replies. They certainly help. Joe, I understand not quite being able to pin down a reason for liking one item over another. This is part of my problem here...heheh Bill, I like both the cut and thrust sort of swordplay as well as the later thrust-centric style. This is also part of my problem in deciding which sword to get first. Patrick, while I like the Lombardy, and appreciate the design, it just doesn't call to me like the others. The Milanese, however, haunts me. Happy

I love everything about the German Rapier--so much that it virtually sang to me the first time I saw it--but know that I want one or both of the others I mentioned at some point, anyway. Plus, they actually have the others in stock currently. If all else fails I can just get the Milanese for now (as it's in stock) and get the German later, or suffer a bit longer and have the guys up there make me a German and get the Milanese later. The Gustav Vasa, realistically, will be the third in the order of purchase. I've dropped A&A an email to ask how long I might be looking at on getting a German Rapier made (again, with the matching parrying dagger), and if it isn't too long a wait I'll likely go that route first. If it's more like a month or three, the Milanese will probably be the one for now. Man, soooo many beautiful swords, so little time (and femalien patience...lol). Hopefully, the A&A guys see my email soon and give me good news on a timeframe for the German Rapier.


I've handled both the German rapier and parrying dagger (the first ones made actually I believe) as well as the Milanese (the one that belongs to Bill in fact) and I would have to say that either one are outstanding pieces. My personal preference is the German Rapier. It's a very quick little thing and one feels like one could probably swashbuckle with it a la Errol Flynn which I've discovered is not the case with most rapiers (much to my initial surprise I might add). That is not to say one SHOULD swashbuckle like Errol Flynn after doing a little reading I've also discovered that a lot of wild rapier swinging does not necessarily reflect how a rapier should be used. That's just my perspective as a non fencer who has been able to handle both. Also the German rapier and parrying dagger set are devastatingly beautiful pieces (although again the Milanese is gorgeous as well) which A&A's pictures do not do justice to.



Wish I had a better picture (I think I've got some at home) and wish I'd done better on the scabbards (I've learned a bit since then... Happy )

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
View user's profile Send private message
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Cincinnati, OH
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 21 pages
Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15
Posts: 9,130

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: New guy and a couple A&A Rapier questions         Reply with quote

G.L. Williamson wrote:
Because I have it listed on eBay currently, as far as I understand I should not post a link to that auction on this site, but can anyone offer any advice on a good place to get a little more attention for that sale? I would guess that not many searches happen on eBay for such items, and would love it to go to a good home soon, so that I may get more of the above goodies. Any advice is appreciated. Happy

Thanks!


I actually just found it on Ebay and added it to our Ebay Finds thread. Good luck!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
G.L. Williamson





Joined: 25 Sep 2006

Posts: 20

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, excellent! Thanks, Chad. Happy

Russ, your scabbards (as I'm sure you're told daily...heheh) are beautiful works in their own right, and truly make the swords resting in them complete. I'd been to your website before, looking for the obvious, and caught the pic of the German Rapier and dagger set you posted here. While I'm not sure how soon I can get away with it, I do plan to order such a scabbard set from you for whichever of the A&A swords I get. It's looking more and more like the German Rapier/Dagger, though.

I've heard back from Craig at A&A regarding the timeframe, and it's not bad. That Milanese will still call to me enough to pick one up at some point, but for now I think I'll go with waiting a bit for a German to be made. Once the Albion sells, I'll hopefully stop getting the strange looks from the femalien everytime I talk about swords and "needing" a few more--okay, probably not. Wink
View user's profile Send private message
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional




Joined: 20 Aug 2003
Reading list: 42 books

Posts: 2,607

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G.L. Williamson wrote:
Ah, excellent! Thanks, Chad. Happy

Russ, your scabbards (as I'm sure you're told daily...heheh) are beautiful works in their own right, and truly make the swords resting in them complete. I'd been to your website before, looking for the obvious, and caught the pic of the German Rapier and dagger set you posted here. While I'm not sure how soon I can get away with it, I do plan to order such a scabbard set from you for whichever of the A&A swords I get. It's looking more and more like the German Rapier/Dagger, though.

I've heard back from Craig at A&A regarding the timeframe, and it's not bad. That Milanese will still call to me enough to pick one up at some point, but for now I think I'll go with waiting a bit for a German to be made. Once the Albion sells, I'll hopefully stop getting the strange looks from the femalien everytime I talk about swords and "needing" a few more--okay, probably not. Wink


Thanks for the kind words. The scabbards are always a work in progress. I'm constantly having to reevaluate and do things differently as I learn more. Keeps me out of trouble... Happy

I don't think you will be sorry that you picked the German and I would hold out were I you until you can get the parrying dagger with it. From what I know in period a matched parrying dagger was not necessarily the norm... but darn it they have one and it is a very nice piece of work as well. I've been mulling over another A&A purchase myself... I just recently sold a couple of swords and I've got this money burning a hole in my pocket...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
View user's profile Send private message
Bob Burns




Location: South Indianapolis IN
Joined: 09 Sep 2005
Likes: 1 page
Reading list: 112 books

Posts: 1,019

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi G. I.,

Welcome aboard, I myself am rather partial to this website and to Arms & Armor. I myself have the Italian Three Ring Rapier and the reason that I chose this specific rapier was that while it has a long reach, it is light and has a long stiff narrow blade and is light in weight, although it is more specific for the thrust and less so for the cut. By the way I am in the early remedial learning stages and not in any position to be giving any advice, so I am just stating why I chose the specific rapier that I did.
I know the Milanese is a very popular rapier and I believe Christopher Poor owns one, if I remember correctly at the last weekend of the Bristol Renaissance Fair this summer when I finally had the opportunity to meet Chris.

Most importantly I wanted to just say welcome to a terrific website!

Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
G.L. Williamson





Joined: 25 Sep 2006

Posts: 20

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob! I've decided on getting the German Rapier first, then the Milanese as soon afterward as I can. I know I like both styles (cut/thrust versus more purely thrust), so this should cover both my bases. The Italian Three ring you mention is another I'd been eyeballing, but until I find a way to just buy one of everything A&A offer I have to at least *try* to be a good little boy and only get a couple...heheh Now to just stay sane until the new goodies arrive. Wink
View user's profile Send private message
Bob Burns




Location: South Indianapolis IN
Joined: 09 Sep 2005
Likes: 1 page
Reading list: 112 books

Posts: 1,019

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud I know exactly what you mean about staying sane until they arrive. Although I spent over a year deciding on my first sword from Arms & Armor, when I finally did, my anxiety was so nuts that on the first 2 or 3 swords I was so crazy that I paid for overnight shipping! Laughing Out Loud

Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New guy and a couple A&A Rapier questions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum