Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > I have returned! :-) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
John Cooksey




Location: NW Ark
Joined: 15 Nov 2003

Posts: 291

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: I have returned! :-)         Reply with quote

From four weeks in India and Ireland . . . .
Of course, y'all didn't even know I was gone. :-)

Three weeks in the Trans-Himalya region of Northern India, and I didn't see a single sword. I did, however, see a lot of yaks. And goats, and sheep, and horses, and dogs, and giant (truly enormous, eagle-sized) ravens. Actually, my lady and I decided to call our Indian trip "The Saga of Poo", for various reasons attributable to our trekking experience and constant encounters with the coprolitic aspects of mammalian life.
In Dharamsala, near the end of the trip, I did encounter an antiqued katar (along with many cheap tourist khukuris), which the kindly salesman referred to as "a tiger hunting weapon, from the time of kings". I would really, really hate to hunt tigers armed with a katar. :-)

Ireland, however, more than made up for the insufficiency of weapons found in extreme Northern India. The National Museum in Dublin was fabulous, and my scant hour there was spent drooling over the Bronze Age and Viking-era artifacts so very well displayed.
For those that have not been there, I would highly recommend a trip to Dublin and the National Museum (Archaeology and History). The city is lovely, the food is good, and the arms collection in the National Museum, alone, is worth the price of a ticket.

Jule, namaste, and namaskar,
Scyth

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
View user's profile Send private message
Geoff Wood




Location: UK
Joined: 31 Aug 2003

Posts: 634

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jul, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: I have returned! :-)         Reply with quote

John Cooksey wrote:


Ireland, however, more than made up for the insufficiency of weapons found in extreme Northern India. The National Museum in Dublin was fabulous, and my scant hour there was spent drooling over the Bronze Age and Viking-era artifacts so very well displayed.
For those that have not been there, I would highly recommend a trip to Dublin and the National Museum (Archaeology and History). The city is lovely, the food is good, and the arms collection in the National Museum, alone, is worth the price of a ticket.

Jule, namaste, and namaskar,
Scyth


'Tis a lovely place. What did you think of the display labelling? I was chatting to one of the staff and he thought there was insufficient educational content to explain the artifacts.
Geoff
View user's profile Send private message
Steve Grisetti




Location: Orlando metro area, Florida, USA
Joined: 01 Mar 2004
Likes: 7 pages
Reading list: 28 books

Posts: 1,809

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jul, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: I have returned! :-)         Reply with quote

John Cooksey wrote:
From four weeks in India and Ireland . . . .

Welcome back. Sounds like a great trip. But what inspired you to combine India with Ireland? What do they have in common besides both beginning with the letter "I"?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
View user's profile Send private message
John Cooksey




Location: NW Ark
Joined: 15 Nov 2003

Posts: 291

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jul, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I have returned! :-)         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
John Cooksey wrote:


Ireland, however, more than made up for the insufficiency of weapons found in extreme Northern India. The National Museum in Dublin was fabulous, and my scant hour there was spent drooling over the Bronze Age and Viking-era artifacts so very well displayed.
For those that have not been there, I would highly recommend a trip to Dublin and the National Museum (Archaeology and History). The city is lovely, the food is good, and the arms collection in the National Museum, alone, is worth the price of a ticket.

Jule, namaste, and namaskar,
Scyth


'Tis a lovely place. What did you think of the display labelling? I was chatting to one of the staff and he thought there was insufficient educational content to explain the artifacts.
Geoff


He is probably correct, for many of the displays. A lot of the artifacts, for example, were just labeled as "viking sword", or "dagger", or with other similarly descriptive captions. :-)
I would also take exception to the statement that "the sword was the primary weapon of the Viking warrior", which was contained in one of the more lengthy explanations.
Overall, I was impressed with the visual impact and curation of the displays, but really did not have time to explore the displays to my satisfaction.

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
View user's profile Send private message
John Cooksey




Location: NW Ark
Joined: 15 Nov 2003

Posts: 291

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jul, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I have returned! :-)         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
John Cooksey wrote:
From four weeks in India and Ireland . . . .

Welcome back. Sounds like a great trip. But what inspired you to combine India with Ireland? What do they have in common besides both beginning with the letter "I"?


That's about it. :-)

The real reason that I went to both places was that my lovely lady wanted to do both. The three weeks in India were *somewhat* research related, for her, and the five days in Ireland were R&R after the many stresses of Himalyan trekking. :-)
Her twin sister and another friend flew over to Ireland from the States to meet us, so we just made it a big touristy party. :-)

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > I have returned! :-)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum