Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword scabbards (not period) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Mike Luke




Location: Nevada
Joined: 21 Mar 2004

Posts: 19

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Sword scabbards (not period)         Reply with quote

I reciently finished these leather scabbards . My wife did the knotwork with a program she downloaded and I did the tooling and hand stitching.

View user's profile Send private message
Helen Miller




Location: Springfield VA, USA
Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Reading list: 2 books

Posts: 131

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm very impressed by the knotwork and the overall appearance. May I ask how she placed the knotwork on the leather???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jared Smith




Location: Tennessee
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Likes: 1 page

Spotlight topics: 3
Posts: 1,532

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll second the congratulations on the tooling. Nice job!

Incidentally, some of the "authenti-Nazi's" (term coined by Aaron Schnatterly) will tell you that these are "sheaths" if there is no wood core inside.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
View user's profile Send private message
Mike Luke




Location: Nevada
Joined: 21 Mar 2004

Posts: 19

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Helen Miller wrote:
I'm very impressed by the knotwork and the overall appearance. May I ask how she placed the knotwork on the leather???


Thank you.

The Vinland Sword (one on the right) has a taper in the knotwork which the program does not have provisions for so my wife freehanded it lightly with a pencil. The Gotland was created with the program and traced onto the leather.


I'll second the congratulations on the tooling. Nice job!

Jared Smith wrote:
Incidentally, some of the "authenti-Nazi's" (term coined by Aaron Schnatterly) will tell you that these are "sheaths" if there is no wood core inside



Interesting? I always thought Sheaths were for knifes and scabbards were for swords. It never dawned on me that the names might be associated with construction method. Thanks.


Last edited by Mike Luke on Fri 21 Apr, 2006 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message
Addison C. de Lisle




Location: South Carolina
Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Likes: 27 pages

Posts: 614

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, those are really nice!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jeff Smith




Location: San Diego, CA
Joined: 11 Apr 2006

Posts: 26

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great! I'm planning an attempt at making my own scabbard with the wood inserts for my Crecy. Any suggestions from the gang here would be wonderful... Happy
View user's profile Send private message
Helen Miller




Location: Springfield VA, USA
Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Reading list: 2 books

Posts: 131

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Luke wrote:
Helen Miller wrote:
I'm very impressed by the knotwork and the overall appearance. May I ask how she placed the knotwork on the leather???


Thank you.

The Vinland Sword (one on the right) has a taper in the knotwork which the program does not have provisions for so my wife freehanded it lightly with a pencil. The Gotland was created with the program and traced onto the leather.




Thanks for the info!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Greyson Brown




Location: Windsor, Colorado
Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Reading list: 15 books

Posts: 790

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Smith wrote:
Looks great! I'm planning an attempt at making my own scabbard with the wood inserts for my Crecy. Any suggestions from the gang here would be wonderful... Happy


There are several forum topics on scabbard construction here. The easiest way to find them is to click on the favorites tab at the top right of the page. If you don't have any favorites of your own set up, I think it takes you directly to the members' favorites list. Otherwise, just click on the Show Top Favorites as picked by our members. There are 3 or 4 topics in there, and I think several of those contain links to other scabbard threads.

Also look at the scabbards page at Albion Armorers. There isn't much info there, but there are some pictures that might help.

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword scabbards (not period)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum