Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My latest acquisition. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Author Message
Joachim Nilsson





Joined: 29 Sep 2003

Posts: 510

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: My latest acquisition.         Reply with quote

I know this is not a weapon per-say, but I just had to share this anyway. It's historical at least. And I'm pretty sure that there's one or two WWII-buffs among the rest of the myArmoury forum members. For a mere $39.50 I got this off a Swedish auction site. Goodie gumdrops if I may say so myself. Big Grin


 Attachment: 30.61 KB
19099743_1.jpg
U.S. Military mine sweeping equipment.
View user's profile
Edward Hitchens




Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Likes: 1 page
Reading list: 9 books

Posts: 818

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, that's quite impressive especially from a historical point. WWII and Medieval Europe are also my two favorite histories to study (why knows why? Confused )

Does that equipment still work?

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message
Steve Grisetti




Location: Orlando metro area, Florida, USA
Joined: 01 Mar 2004
Likes: 7 pages
Reading list: 28 books

Posts: 1,809

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool stuff. $39.50 for the package is especially cool. Now, what are you going to do with it?
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
View user's profile Send private message
Joachim Nilsson





Joined: 29 Sep 2003

Posts: 510

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Wow, that's quite impressive especially from a historical point. WWII and Medieval Europe are also my two favorite histories to study (why knows why? Confused )


Yeah, I was quite amazed when I found it myself. Usually medals, helmets, bayonets or the odd magazine clip show up here in Sweden, but this was something a bit out of the ordinary. All the more fun I won the auction then too. Happy

I personally think the reason for WWII being so interesting and "intriguing" is because it's the biggest and most severe conflict that has ever ravaged this world. It was such an world-altering event with ramifications that one is still hard pressed to fully grasp today.

Quote:
Does that equipment still work?


Unfortunately not. At least not according to the seller. It could just be the batteries though. I will have to examine that more closely once it's in my hands.
View user's profile
Eric L.




Location: Netherland
Joined: 21 Sep 2003

Posts: 56

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks great, and you can visit Holland to use it. We still find bombs from WW2 from time to time. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Joachim Nilsson





Joined: 29 Sep 2003

Posts: 510

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Cool stuff. $39.50 for the package is especially cool.


Yeah, $39.50 for a piece of equipment like that is more or less like saying "Here. Take it. It's free". The more odd militaria usually don't go at those prices here in Sweden. Quite recently a genuine (albeit repainted) Panzerfaust even showed up. The starting bid was at $255. It disappeared quite quickly though. My bet is that tradera (the Swedish auction site) is a bit picky with certain auctions. Confused

Quote:
Now, what are you going to do with it?


Hehe, I've joked around that if I did get it I would walk around outside on the lawn in front on the apartment building, sweeping the ground, and placing little red flags at certain intervals. Guess that would raise an eyebrow or two. Razz I think I'll just keep it in my home and oogle it though. I am crazy, but not that crazy. Really. Razz Big Grin
View user's profile
Joachim Nilsson





Joined: 29 Sep 2003

Posts: 510

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric L. wrote:
That looks great, and you can visit Holland to use it. We still find bombs from WW2 from time to time. Wink


Thanks. Hehe, yeah, maybe I'll find me a German s-mine or two. A deactivated s-mine recently showed up on Tradera too. WTF?!
View user's profile
Aaron Schnatterly




Location: New Glarus, WI
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,244

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pretty cool find, Joachim! It'd be especially neat if it's just some fouled battery connections or something simple that can be fixed. Regardless:

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Hehe, I've joked around that if I did get it I would walk around outside on the lawn in front on the apartment building, sweeping the ground, and placing little red flags at certain intervals. Guess that would raise an eyebrow or two. Razz I think I'll just keep it in my home and oogle it though. I am crazy, but not that crazy. Really. Razz Big Grin

Yeah, maybe... I would. It'd be well worth the looks that you'd get. Catch it on film, though... man, that'd be some laughs.

Hey... I never claimed to be "right". Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly
_______________

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Joachim Nilsson





Joined: 29 Sep 2003

Posts: 510

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Pretty cool find, Joachim! It'd be especially neat if it's just some fouled battery connections or something simple that can be fixed.


Yeah, if I'm lucky it is. But either way I'll be happy just to own it. My first piece of genuine WWII militaria! Not counting letters and photos belonging to my grandfather...


Quote:
Yeah, maybe... I would. It'd be well worth the looks that you'd get. Catch it on film, though... man, that'd be some laughs.

Hey... I never claimed to be "right". Wink


LOL. Yeah, perhaps it would be woth it after all. I mean, no one would ever notice inconspicuos little me if I just hung out on the lawn. Razz *lying his a*s off* Wait... Seeing to how people in my town seem to view me it probably wouldn't come as a surprise to them if they found me walking around in front of the building "searching for mines". Laughing Out Loud Maybe me screaming "AAAAAACHTUNG!" every time I place a little red flag on the ground would help. Razz
View user's profile
Aaron Schnatterly




Location: New Glarus, WI
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,244

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
LOL. Yeah, perhaps it would be woth it after all. I mean, no one would ever notice inconspicuos little me if I just hung out on the lawn. Razz *lying his a*s off* Wait... Seeing to how people in my town seem to view me it probably wouldn't come as a surprise to them if they found me walking around in front of the building "searching for mines". Laughing Out Loud Maybe me screaming "AAAAAACHTUNG!" every time I place a little red flag on the ground would help. Razz


LMAO!!!

That'd be perfect. Oh, and you "ain't right" either... you sure we aren't related? Wink

When is this supposed to be in your posession? I'm pretty curious about seeing/hearing more about it!

-Aaron Schnatterly
_______________

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Joachim Nilsson





Joined: 29 Sep 2003

Posts: 510

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

LMAO!!!

That'd be perfect. Oh, and you "ain't right" either... you sure we aren't related? Wink


Hehehehe. One can never know for certain. We do seem to have a common trait or two. Wink

Quote:
When is this supposed to be in your posession? I'm pretty curious about seeing/hearing more about it!


Hopefully, if all goes as planned, within a week or two. I will definately update this thread once the thing shows up on my doorstep.
View user's profile
Edward Hitchens




Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Likes: 1 page
Reading list: 9 books

Posts: 818

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
I personally think the reason for WWII being so interesting and "intriguing" is because it's the biggest and most severe conflict that has ever ravaged this world. It was such an world-altering event with ramifications that one is still hard pressed to fully grasp today.


Very true. There are ramifications that exist today (i.e. the US having a naval base in Okinawa and an army base in Germany) as well as plenty that are hard to grasp, like the atomic bombs. Also, WWII wasn't that long ago when compared to the time periods that are often discussed on this site. Eek!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message
Joachim Nilsson





Joined: 29 Sep 2003

Posts: 510

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:


Very true. There are ramifications that exist today (i.e. the US having a naval base in Okinawa and an army base in Germany) as well as plenty that are hard to grasp, like the atomic bombs. Also, WWII wasn't that long ago when compared to the time periods that are often discussed on this site. Eek!


Exactly. A lot of us also have grandfathers and the like that fought in WWII. I guess that increases one's interest somewhat.
View user's profile
Aaron Schnatterly




Location: New Glarus, WI
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,244

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Exactly. A lot of us also have grandfathers and the like that fought in WWII. I guess that increases one's interest somewhat.

My grandfather did... all I have are pictures, and very, very few of those - all of which he's in uniform. I believe my father has his dog tags. He died just before I was born... I've been told I'm very much like him, and that we would have been the best of friends. Instead, he's a phantom soldier to me...

-Aaron Schnatterly
_______________

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Patrick Kelly




Location: Wichita, Kansas
Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 5,685

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My father served for 34 for years, through WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He had boxes and boxes of interesting stuff, as well as stories you wouldn't believe. To bad we haven't spoken to each other in over three years.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
View user's profile Send private message
Joachim Nilsson





Joined: 29 Sep 2003

Posts: 510

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Exactly. A lot of us also have grandfathers and the like that fought in WWII. I guess that increases one's interest somewhat.

My grandfather did... all I have are pictures, and very, very few of those - all of which he's in uniform. I believe my father has his dog tags. He died just before I was born... I've been told I'm very much like him, and that we would have been the best of friends. Instead, he's a phantom soldier to me...


Yeah, I hear ya. My maternal grandfather -whom I never knew or met- served in WWII too. All I have of him is war-time photographs and letters to my grandmother. I've been told he sustained injuries in North-Africa, so I suspect there's a "wounded in battle medallion" somewhere out there too. I know his name, his rank and the field post he was at, but that's about it. Unfortunately my mother is no longer with us so I can't ask her all the questions I'd like to.

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Quote:
My father served for 34 for years, through WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He had boxes and boxes of interesting stuff, as well as stories you wouldn't believe. To bad we haven't spoken to each other in over three years.


Not to poke around in your family business or anything Patrick or speak up about matters that don't concern me, but you should, if the opportunity presents itself, take the chance to re-establish contact. Just a friendly piece of advice. Happy Just look at me: I'm totally lacking half of my roots. Worried
View user's profile
Steve Grisetti




Location: Orlando metro area, Florida, USA
Joined: 01 Mar 2004
Likes: 7 pages
Reading list: 28 books

Posts: 1,809

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Exactly. A lot of us also have grandfathers and the like that fought in WWII. I guess that increases one's interest somewhat.

My grandfather did... all I have are pictures, and very, very few of those - all of which he's in uniform. I believe my father has his dog tags. He died just before I was born... I've been told I'm very much like him, and that we would have been the best of friends. Instead, he's a phantom soldier to me...


Yeah, I hear ya. My maternal grandfather -whom I never knew or met- served in WWII too. All I have of him is war-time photographs and letters to my grandmother. I've been told he sustained injuries in North-Africa, so I suspect there's a "wounded in battle medallion" somewhere out there too. I know his name, his rank and the field post he was at, but that's about it. Unfortunately my mother is no longer with us so I can't ask her all the questions I'd like to.

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Quote:
My father served for 34 for years, through WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He had boxes and boxes of interesting stuff, as well as stories you wouldn't believe. To bad we haven't spoken to each other in over three years.


Not to poke around in your family business or anything Patrick or speak up about matters that don't concern me, but you should, if the opportunity presents itself, take the chance to re-establish contact. Just a friendly piece of advice. Happy Just look at me: I'm totally lacking half of my roots. Worried

My father and I guess 7 or 8 of my uncles served. The stories they told....

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
View user's profile Send private message
Joachim Nilsson





Joined: 29 Sep 2003

Posts: 510

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While we're at it: Is anyone aware of where one might turn if one was inclined to try to find out more about a relative who served in WWII? I am mainly thinking about when and where etc during the war.
View user's profile
Aaron Schnatterly




Location: New Glarus, WI
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,244

PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
While we're at it: Is anyone aware of where one might turn if one was inclined to try to find out more about a relative who served in WWII? I am mainly thinking about when and where etc during the war.

I'm fortunate that I can get a lot of info from my father. I need to... for a number of reasons, most personal, but everyone pretty much understands - or will as time passes. I'll be 35 next month. It's the first time I've ever thought I might actually be something other than a kid. Seems like yesterday, I was twenty-something. Tomorrow, I'll be looking at 40, or so it seems. I'd better sieze some of these opportunities while I do have them. Some day, hopefully long, long from now, they will have slipped from my grasp.

You have some info, Joachim, so build on it. If you know his unit, search for info on it. There may be an association or organization attached. At least you know the branch. The only thing you have is a handful of scattered details, probably accurate... so that's where to start. Plant that seed, and actively cultivate it. Check into any memorial foundations. I'm kind of at a loss as to what I'd do to find this type of history on a US soldier, let alone a foreign (to me) soldier. Some records could be sealed... depends on what bits of the mix he got into. Your quest is a noble one, brother! I wish you the best of luck!

I did a quick internet search on my grandfather's name. First page of finds yielded his birth/death dates. Strange feeling, that...

All of this from an old box of anti-mine equipment, over 1000 miles away, that now belongs to a friend I've never had the pleasure of shaking hands with....

-Aaron Schnatterly
_______________

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Joachim Nilsson





Joined: 29 Sep 2003

Posts: 510

PostPosted: Tue 18 Oct, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

I'm fortunate that I can get a lot of info from my father. I need to... for a number of reasons, most personal, but everyone pretty much understands - or will as time passes. I'll be 35 next month. It's the first time I've ever thought I might actually be something other than a kid. Seems like yesterday, I was twenty-something. Tomorrow, I'll be looking at 40, or so it seems. I'd better sieze some of these opportunities while I do have them. Some day, hopefully long, long from now, they will have slipped from my grasp.


Just 35?! I thought you were older. Big Grin

"You have some info, Joachim, so build on it. If you know his unit, search for info on it. There may be an association or organization attached. At least you know the branch. The only thing you have is a handful of scattered details, probably accurate... so that's where to start. Plant that seed, and actively cultivate it. Check into any memorial foundations. I'm kind of at a loss as to what I'd do to find this type of history on a US soldier, let alone a foreign (to me) soldier. Some records could be sealed... depends on what bits of the mix he got into. Your quest is a noble one, brother! I wish you the best of luck!"

Yeah, I tried to google him before, but that yielded nothing. Except for a whole bunch of Germans sharing his last name that is. I remember reading on some WWII site that the problem with locating info on German veterans is that the Allies managed to bomb the office where all records of serving soldiers were held. The records for wounded soldiers on the other hand were kept at another location and was spared. I think my best bet is to turn to German authorities.

Quote:
I did a quick internet search on my grandfather's name. First page of finds yielded his birth/death dates. Strange feeling, that...


Yeah, I bet. I did an internet search on another relative. A Swedish soldier from the late 18th Century. I didn't expect to find anything, so you can imagine my surprise when I actually found his full name and a reference to the remains of where the house he lived in stood. Eek!

Quote:
All of this from an old box of anti-mine equipment, over 1000 miles away, that now belongs to a friend I've never had the pleasure of shaking hands with....


Odd men are brought together by odd things. The time will come, Aaron. It will. Big Grin
View user's profile


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > My latest acquisition.
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum