Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Unknown dagger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Marijan Kamenjasevic




Location: Croatia
Joined: 09 Nov 2014

Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Unknown dagger         Reply with quote

Hello to all forum members.
For years I have this dagger which my father found on top of wooden beam in some old house. Since I'm from Croatia and this dagger was found in place that was under Turkish in Ottoman wars - I suspect it's from Turkish infantry.
I need your opinion about that. As you can see from the images, it's 24 cm long and its handle and blade aren't bent or broken. Only wood (maybe leather?) is missing from inside the handle. The blade is quite sharp and there are markings on it - I guess it's blacksmiths signature (?).
Can someone help me with this dagger? How old is it, is it from Turkish infantry?

Thanks in advance








View user's profile Send private message
Shahril Dzulkifli




Location: Malaysia
Joined: 13 Dec 2007
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 1,265

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Unknown dagger         Reply with quote

I am not sure how old is this dagger, Marijan. But I think there's someone in this forum who can verify its age.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
View user's profile Send private message
Luka Borscak




Location: Croatia
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Likes: 7 pages

Posts: 2,229

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello countryman! Happy I can't help you with the age of this dagger, but the stars and moons on it are probably symbolic decoration rather than makers mark... Nice find anyway... If it is really Turkish and left in Croatia after they left, than it must be at least 300 years old... On the other hand, we did adopt some turkish designs for our own equipment, so it might be a Croatian dagger... Hajduk or Krajišnik might be likely to adopt a weapon similar to Turkish...
View user's profile Send private message
Marijan Kamenjasevic




Location: Croatia
Joined: 09 Nov 2014

Posts: 3

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Hello countryman! Happy I can't help you with the age of this dagger, but the stars and moons on it are probably symbolic decoration rather than makers mark... Nice find anyway... If it is really Turkish and left in Croatia after they left, than it must be at least 300 years old... On the other hand, we did adopt some turkish designs for our own equipment, so it might be a Croatian dagger... Hajduk or Krajišnik might be likely to adopt a weapon similar to Turkish...


Hello! Big Grin
This dagger was found in city of Koprivnica (hajduci, krajišnici?? Eek! ).Well, if someone knows, please help - this dagger is bothering me for years....
View user's profile Send private message
Luka Borscak




Location: Croatia
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Likes: 7 pages

Posts: 2,229

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marijan Kamenjasevic wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:
Hello countryman! Happy I can't help you with the age of this dagger, but the stars and moons on it are probably symbolic decoration rather than makers mark... Nice find anyway... If it is really Turkish and left in Croatia after they left, than it must be at least 300 years old... On the other hand, we did adopt some turkish designs for our own equipment, so it might be a Croatian dagger... Hajduk or Krajišnik might be likely to adopt a weapon similar to Turkish...


Hello! Big Grin
This dagger was found in city of Koprivnica (hajduci, krajišnici?? Eek! ).Well, if someone knows, please help - this dagger is bothering me for years....


Well, Koprivnica isn't really a place where Hajduks were active, but it was a part of "Vojna Krajina" after it was liberated from the Turks. But this way its all guessing, you should show it to one of the museums, Stari Grad in Varaždin (I'm from Varaždin), Povijesni Muzej Zagreb, Museum of Koprivnica... If you come to Varaždin, we could go to Stari Grad together, I would love to see this dagger in person... Happy
View user's profile Send private message
Marijan Kamenjasevic




Location: Croatia
Joined: 09 Nov 2014

Posts: 3

PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Marijan Kamenjasevic wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:
Hello countryman! Happy I can't help you with the age of this dagger, but the stars and moons on it are probably symbolic decoration rather than makers mark... Nice find anyway... If it is really Turkish and left in Croatia after they left, than it must be at least 300 years old... On the other hand, we did adopt some turkish designs for our own equipment, so it might be a Croatian dagger... Hajduk or Krajišnik might be likely to adopt a weapon similar to Turkish...


Hello! Big Grin
This dagger was found in city of Koprivnica (hajduci, krajišnici?? Eek! ).Well, if someone knows, please help - this dagger is bothering me for years....


Well, Koprivnica isn't really a place where Hajduks were active, but it was a part of "Vojna Krajina" after it was liberated from the Turks. But this way its all guessing, you should show it to one of the museums, Stari Grad in Varaždin (I'm from Varaždin), Povijesni Muzej Zagreb, Museum of Koprivnica... If you come to Varaždin, we could go to Stari Grad together, I would love to see this dagger in person... Happy


Since my wife is from Varazdin, I'm there once a month. We'll get in touch. I'll send you PM. Big Grin
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Unknown dagger
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum