Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion NG models number Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Author Message
Alessandro Petrocco




Location: Rome, Italy
Joined: 30 Jun 2014

Posts: 9

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Albion NG models number         Reply with quote

Is there any chanse to know how many albion swords of a particoular model where made?

For example: The crecy sword will be made in a number of 500 swords worldwide. How many of them were made?

I hope to have correctly explayned myself.

Bye to all. Happy

"There's a beast in every man and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand"
View user's profile Send private message
Edward Lee




Location: New York
Joined: 05 Jul 2013

Posts: 313

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to the Albion site, couple of the viking swords were sold out. They don't have a count down though.
View user's profile Send private message
Gordon Alexander




Location: Eagan, MN & Dubois, WY
Joined: 24 Dec 2012

Posts: 57

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have often wondered, "Are they really going to sell a thousand copies of these?" I am not thinking anything negative, I simply wonder how large the market is.
View user's profile Send private message
Roger Hooper




Location: Northern California
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 1 page

Spotlight topics: 4
Posts: 3,898

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only people who know would be Albion. If you contact them and ask, they might tell you.

I don't think there is any danger of their selling out on the 500's or the 1000's. There are a few 100's, for instance, the Reeve, that might hit that end number. If any model is getting close to that limit, I believe Albion will inform us. I remember them doing that with the Valkyrja.
View user's profile Send private message
Hector A.





Joined: 22 Dec 2013

Posts: 137

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Real question is how is the Crecy not sold out yet? It seems to be one of those models somebody that is new to Albion gets first.
Its also almost always the prize for Albion sponsored events.

I think a few models probably sold out, but are so popular they just keep selling them, and change or refine an aspect of them, so that it counts as a new sword, just done different or better.

Remember this is just my take on it, i have no idea if this is what Albion does, but it would make sense, and no harm done, why remove something so many have gotten and love? I know i will be re-buying some models i enjoy and use heavily again in a few years time, once my current ones can't take any more Happy.
View user's profile Send private message
Mike Jia
Industry Professional



Location: Canberra
Joined: 30 Sep 2013

Posts: 53

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder, when the Crecy does sell out, will Albion continue to provide Christian Fletcher Crecy blades for his Borderwatch sword?
View user's profile Send private message
Roger Hooper




Location: Northern California
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 1 page

Spotlight topics: 4
Posts: 3,898

PostPosted: Mon 01 Sep, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hector A. wrote:
Real question is how is the Crecy not sold out yet? It seems to be one of those models somebody that is new to Albion gets first.
Its also almost always the prize for Albion sponsored events.

I think a few models probably sold out, but are so popular they just keep selling them, and change or refine an aspect of them, so that it counts as a new sword, just done different or better.

Remember this is just my take on it, i have no idea if this is what Albion does, but it would make sense, and no harm done, why remove something so many have gotten and love? I know i will be re-buying some models i enjoy and use heavily again in a few years time, once my current ones can't take any more Happy.


500 Crecy Swords? I'd be surprised if they've sold more than 300 so far.

I believe Albion is too honorable to go back on their word. If they say only 100 or 500 or 1000, then that's all there will be. I'm sure there was a temptation to keep selling Valkyrjas, but they didn't do it. One of the reasons i bought that sword just before it sold out was that I figured that it would better hold its value if there were only 100.

However, they have found a way to get around this problem. The sold out Gotland, Clontarf, and Vinland now exist as Squire Line swords, sold over at Viking Shield. Different blades, not as expensive, but they look a lot like the originals. Christian Fletcher's new Shieldmaiden actually uses a Valkyrja blade, and the design on the hilt is very much like the Valkyrja's.

If the Crecy sells out, I'm sure that they will still sell Crecy blades to Christian Fletcher for his variations.
View user's profile Send private message
Hector A.





Joined: 22 Dec 2013

Posts: 137

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Hector A. wrote:
Real question is how is the Crecy not sold out yet? It seems to be one of those models somebody that is new to Albion gets first.
Its also almost always the prize for Albion sponsored events.

I think a few models probably sold out, but are so popular they just keep selling them, and change or refine an aspect of them, so that it counts as a new sword, just done different or better.

Remember this is just my take on it, i have no idea if this is what Albion does, but it would make sense, and no harm done, why remove something so many have gotten and love? I know i will be re-buying some models i enjoy and use heavily again in a few years time, once my current ones can't take any more Happy.


500 Crecy Swords? I'd be surprised if they've sold more than 300 so far.

I believe Albion is too honorable to go back on their word. If they say only 100 or 500 or 1000, then that's all there will be. I'm sure there was a temptation to keep selling Valkyrjas, but they didn't do it. One of the reasons i bought that sword just before it sold out was that I figured that it would better hold its value if there were only 100.

However, they have found a way to get around this problem. The sold out Gotland, Clontarf, and Vinland now exist as Squire Line swords, sold over at Viking Shield. Different blades, not as expensive, but they look a lot like the originals. Christian Fletcher's new Shieldmaiden actually uses a Valkyrja blade, and the design on the hilt is very much like the Valkyrja's.

If the Crecy sells out, I'm sure that they will still sell Crecy blades to Christian Fletcher for his variations.


They already said the Valkyrjas was coming back soon, with "updated construction", correct me if i'm wrong but the Valkyrjas didn't have the double peen construction other NG Viking swords have, so i'm guessing the new Valkyrjas will be just that, the same thing but with double peen construction. But only time can tell for sure.
View user's profile Send private message
Craig Peters




PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It would be nice to see a re-release of the Valkyrja. It's one of the most beautiful of Albion's Viking swords, and 100 total seems far too few. Plus, re-releasing the sword would probably put an end to the occasional attempts by people to sell them at an exorbitant price, used, simply because they're not available anymore.
View user's profile Send private message
Ben Coomer




Location: Colorado
Joined: 06 Sep 2011

Posts: 184

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, if the Valkyrja were to be re-released, I know what would move to the top of the wife's list...
View user's profile Send private message
Roger Hooper




Location: Northern California
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 1 page

Spotlight topics: 4
Posts: 3,898

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I asked Mike Sigman at Albion if they are bringing back the Valkyrja. He said that sometime ago they were considering it, but nobody has talked about doing that for at least two years.
View user's profile Send private message
William Swiger




Location: Reston, VA
Joined: 23 Feb 2011
Likes: 50 pages
Reading list: 9 books

Posts: 443

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one of the Valkyrja swords. If they released a new version that was somewhat different from the original, that would be alright. If they kept it the exact same, that would be sort of unfair for those who bought the initial run of the 100.
Non Timebo Mala
View user's profile Send private message
Luka Borscak




Location: Croatia
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Likes: 7 pages

Posts: 2,229

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm probably getting boring with it, but I have a kind of an oppsession with the original Suontaka because of its hollow fittings. Maybe Albion could bring Valkyrja back as a Museum Line sword with historically accurate hollow fittings...
View user's profile Send private message
David Lewis Smith




Location: NC
Joined: 26 Aug 2003
Likes: 2 pages

Posts: 484

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a Valkyrja for sale on ebay
David L Smith
MSG (RET)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Joel Chesser




Location: Oklahoma
Joined: 23 Oct 2003

Posts: 714

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Valkyrja is amazing and I'd love to own one, but I would be just as happy if they brought back another round of the Vinland, Clontarf and Gotland. I know there are SL versions, but its just not the same
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
View user's profile Send private message
J.D. Crawford




Location: Toronto
Joined: 25 Dec 2006

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,597

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Back to the original topic, I think it would be cool if Albion stamped a number on each blade, much like high-end art prints are numbered and signed. A certificate of authenticity with a signture from Peter Johnsson would be even better.

Actually, I have always thought of NG and Museum Albions as being 'prints' for those of us who cannot afford a PJ original.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
David Lewis Smith




Location: NC
Joined: 26 Aug 2003
Likes: 2 pages

Posts: 484

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like that Idea actually, but I would not want it on the blade. The albion marks are historical looking but I would not want a number on the blade.
David L Smith
MSG (RET)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jeffrey Faulk




Location: Georgia
Joined: 01 Jan 2011

Posts: 578

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps a subtle etch on the tang under the grip? Or on the grip side of the guard? That would work for me. A small Gothic numeral, in a place where you have to actually look for it...
View user's profile Send private message
Hector A.





Joined: 22 Dec 2013

Posts: 137

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I asked Mike Sigman at Albion if they are bringing back the Valkyrja. He said that sometime ago they were considering it, but nobody has talked about doing that for at least two years.


Well that puts what i said to rest, good to know, but disappointing i know many people love that sword.
View user's profile Send private message
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Cincinnati, OH
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 21 pages
Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15
Posts: 9,134

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
A certificate of authenticity with a signture from Peter Johnsson would be even better.


Way back when the NG line first came out, the first 25 (I think that was the number) of each model were supposed to come with signed certificates. I've had my Sovereign and Baron for many moons. Both were in their respective initial runs. Still waiting on my certificates. Happy

At one point, they were going to do something to the maker's mark or something to signify visually in which year the sword was made. That never got off the ground.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion NG models number
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum