Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I received an Albion Reeve today Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Christopher B Lellis




Location: Houston, Texas
Joined: 01 Dec 2012

Posts: 268

PostPosted: Wed 14 May, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: I received an Albion Reeve today         Reply with quote

And I'm blown away by it, I'm not yet sure if it's my favorite sword simply because it's my newest sword or if it's my absolute favorite sword, it will take about a month of feeling it out for me to tell I think.

Actually the reason I made this post is because I was surprised by something.

There are two things I have heard numerous times about this sword from various forums.

"It's got almost no blade presence"
"its very flexible"

The sword I got has a wonderful, very attractive blade presence, there is nothing heavy or lacking about it and this blade presence feels like it's begging to cut into a foe. This sword just wants to be taken to battle and it feels more like a man at arms or infantry mans sword than another other sword I have held. This feels like a sword that an army would equip it's knights and men at arms with if they had the resources to make them.

This sword has a flex but it's surprisingly stiffer than I thought. I also own the Albion Vigil "another great sword in it's own right" and the Vigil is more flexible. If you smack the pommel, the Reeve will vibrate less forcefully and for less time. I was surprised by this and pleasantly so, because I actually prefer a bit less flex than what my Vigil has.

This is undoubtedly a sword that is primarily used for cutting but you could thrust with it with confidence.

Albion really hit a home run with me, I adore this sword.
View user's profile Send private message
Hector A.





Joined: 22 Dec 2013

Posts: 140

PostPosted: Wed 14 May, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And then he went and smacked some dense soaked newspapper with all his force and realized that its wobbly... (Frank Sinatra- Something stupid)

As long as ur not thrusthing into mail u should be fine, but u will soon find out from your own testing ( avoid water bottles to draw conclusions ) that it does flex a good bit, just make sure ur wrist is in the right position when u try or u might hurt urself.

All jokes and comments aside, i am very happy your loving your new sword, and i am happy to hear not everybody is having problems with Albion atm.

I have read far to much about QC mistakes lately, from broken tips, bad tempering, casting pits, bad finish etc...

I have a few swords on order and i am afraid they will come anything less than perfect, which is not acceptable at that price.
View user's profile Send private message
Bryan Heff




Location: Philadelphia
Joined: 04 Mar 2012
Likes: 8 pages

Posts: 358

PostPosted: Wed 14 May, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I owned a Reeve for a short time and traded it away...not because I didn't love the sword but the Baron I traded it for was something I also really wanted and already had a number of Albion Single-handed swords in my collection, so a hard choice was made. I may at some point in the future get one again.

I had the same basic thought that you are having. The thing seems to beg to cut something. Not to hack or chop, more like a razor slice and cut.

It was the most *dangerous* feeling sword I owned, if that makes any sense. Congrats.

The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb
View user's profile Send private message
Christopher B Lellis




Location: Houston, Texas
Joined: 01 Dec 2012

Posts: 268

PostPosted: Wed 14 May, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan Heff wrote:
I owned a Reeve for a short time and traded it away...not because I didn't love the sword but the Baron I traded it for was something I also really wanted and already had a number of Albion Single-handed swords in my collection, so a hard choice was made. I may at some point in the future get one again.

I had the same basic thought that you are having. The thing seems to beg to cut something. Not to hack or chop, more like a razor slice and cut.

It was the most *dangerous* feeling sword I owned, if that makes any sense. Congrats.


That is precisely how it feels, dangerous.

Was that Baron up to your expectations?
View user's profile Send private message
Christopher B Lellis




Location: Houston, Texas
Joined: 01 Dec 2012

Posts: 268

PostPosted: Wed 14 May, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hector A. wrote:
And then he went and smacked some dense soaked newspapper with all his force and realized that its wobbly... (Frank Sinatra- Something stupid)

As long as ur not thrusthing into mail u should be fine, but u will soon find out from your own testing ( avoid water bottles to draw conclusions ) that it does flex a good bit, just make sure ur wrist is in the right position when u try or u might hurt urself.

All jokes and comments aside, i am very happy your loving your new sword, and i am happy to hear not everybody is having problems with Albion atm.

I have read far to much about QC mistakes lately, from broken tips, bad tempering, casting pits, bad finish etc...

I have a few swords on order and i am afraid they will come anything less than perfect, which is not acceptable at that price.


I've probably done more cutting than most collectors on this forum, I'll be alright. Wink

No casting pits, although on another one of mine there are some, didn't bother me though. The finish on the Reeve was excellent, no complaints about that either. I ordered a red grip and that came out very well too.

As for "bad tempering" I honestly don't really know how to tell that, all of my Albions are springy and flex back, that's about all I can see with that.
View user's profile Send private message
Craig Peters




PostPosted: Wed 14 May, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I received an Albion Reeve today         Reply with quote

Christopher B Lellis wrote:


"It's got almost no blade presence"
"its very flexible"

The sword I got has a wonderful, very attractive blade presence, there is nothing heavy or lacking about it and this blade presence feels like it's begging to cut into a foe.


Chris,

When sword enthusiasts talk about blade presence, they're really talking about "How much heft or mass does the sword have in hand and in use?" Or, to put it even more simply, "How heavy does this sword feel?" As you observed, there's nothing heavy about the Reeve, which means it has little blade presence. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It means you have a cutting sword that feels agile and lively in hand. If you were to compare the Reeve to the Templar sitting beside me, or to my Tritonia, it becomes very obvious that the latter two swords have much more presence in hand than the Reeve does.

The Reeve is a gorgeous single-hander; I'm glad you like it.
View user's profile Send private message
Bryan Heff




Location: Philadelphia
Joined: 04 Mar 2012
Likes: 8 pages

Posts: 358

PostPosted: Thu 15 May, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher B Lellis wrote:
Bryan Heff wrote:
I owned a Reeve for a short time and traded it away...not because I didn't love the sword but the Baron I traded it for was something I also really wanted and already had a number of Albion Single-handed swords in my collection, so a hard choice was made. I may at some point in the future get one again.

I had the same basic thought that you are having. The thing seems to beg to cut something. Not to hack or chop, more like a razor slice and cut.

It was the most *dangerous* feeling sword I owned, if that makes any sense. Congrats.


That is precisely how it feels, dangerous.

Was that Baron up to your expectations?


It was and is. The Baron is a truly magnificent weapon IMO. Part of the reason why I made the trade was because at the time I had yet to experience a larger Albion, and really had the urge to get one of the 2-handed models. I love this sword.



And my former Reeve....


The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb
View user's profile Send private message
Christopher B Lellis




Location: Houston, Texas
Joined: 01 Dec 2012

Posts: 268

PostPosted: Thu 15 May, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan Heff wrote:
Christopher B Lellis wrote:
Bryan Heff wrote:
I owned a Reeve for a short time and traded it away...not because I didn't love the sword but the Baron I traded it for was something I also really wanted and already had a number of Albion Single-handed swords in my collection, so a hard choice was made. I may at some point in the future get one again.

I had the same basic thought that you are having. The thing seems to beg to cut something. Not to hack or chop, more like a razor slice and cut.

It was the most *dangerous* feeling sword I owned, if that makes any sense. Congrats.


That is precisely how it feels, dangerous.

Was that Baron up to your expectations?


It was and is. The Baron is a truly magnificent weapon IMO. Part of the reason why I made the trade was because at the time I had yet to experience a larger Albion, and really had the urge to get one of the 2-handed models. I love this sword.



And my former Reeve....



Ohhh, I actually read your post on sword buyers guide before, it was one of the threads that influenced my decision to get the Reeve. I didn't realize it was you.

I have always been interested in the Baron but now I think it might be my next, but not for awhile, this is an expensive hobby.
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I received an Albion Reeve today
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum