Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Two Sword Designs: Suggested Makers? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Victor Sloan




Location: North Carolina
Joined: 15 Feb 2014

Posts: 69

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Two Sword Designs: Suggested Makers?         Reply with quote

Hello all! I have for you today two drawings of sword designs which I would like to present, paired with a question: Which swordsmiths would you suggest for these designs?

The first is a sword I drew designed by my best friend. It is a tactical hand-and-a-half saber. Blade length of about 30 or 32 inches, handle of about 10 inches, making the grip about 7 inches. We would like for it to have a POB of about 3 inches. Plain steel with cord-wrapped handle. I suppose the base of blade would be between 2 and 3 inches wide with distal taper down to 1.5 inches or so before the point. Slight blade curve.



As for my sword, I wish it to actually be similar to a swiss saber bastard sword-- Leather-wrapped wooden upper grip, the rest of the handle is solid steel-extended pommel style. Blade specs about the same as my friend's sword, except I want a fuller stretching from the guard to to last third or quarter of the blade, where the back edge will be sharpened the rest of the way down. I also want the entire hilt assembly to be about 10 or 11 inches in length, leaving the grip length at about 7 or 8 inches--enough for one hand to cover the leather-covered grip and the rest of the steel extended pommel for my second hand. POB of around 3 inches. Also slight blade curve.



Sorry for the long explanations, but what do you all think? Who would be a good fit to make these swords?

We eventually want to make these ourselves, but my friend does not want to wait to have his sword until we have the time and resources to gain the skill to make these.

Looking to start HEMA!


Last edited by Victor Sloan on Fri 07 Mar, 2014 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Phil D.




Location: Houston,Texas
Joined: 23 Sep 2003
Reading list: 56 books

Posts: 590

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try Odin Blades. John Lundemo makes excellent sabers...

http://www.odinblades.com/swords.html

Or you can build your own with Longship Armoury...

http://www.longshiparmoury.com/build-sword.html

scroll down their page and look at the Verrimus.

One last sweet saber is the Warder production model by Valiant Armoury...

http://valiant-armoury.com/valhalla.php

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
View user's profile Send private message
Victor Sloan




Location: North Carolina
Joined: 15 Feb 2014

Posts: 69

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome thanks! Odin Blades is definitely a good fit for the bill! Thanks! I could definitely have one similarly done to mine by going for the Verrimus, but completely custom is probably the way to go.
Looking to start HEMA!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Robin Smith




Location: Louisiana
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Likes: 4 pages
Reading list: 17 books

Posts: 746

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah... Let me just tell you from experience, you can't really dictate where the PoB is gonna be. That is entirely dependent on the blades geometry and the mass and length of the hilt. If you are gonna be demanding about the blade being such and such shape and length, and the hilt being shaped just so... Well the PoB is gonna end up wherever it ends up.

Now, the PoB can be controlled by the smith to some degree by adjust the geometry... Which by the way, it appears you are misusing the term Distal Taper. What you are talking about is Profile Taper. Distal Taper is the tapering of the thickness of the blade, usually measured in fractions of a centimeter....

...So back to the smith and geometry. Now, a good smith can move the PoB around some by playing with the geometry and mass in the hilt. But he only has so much he can do without causing problems (poor harmonics, tip gets to thin, etc...)

So the moral of the story... Don't have your heart set on "3 inches" for the PoB

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Tim M.





Joined: 21 Jan 2007

Posts: 48

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just as a heads up, the Verrimus is actually being discontinued I believe according to one of the project leaders for Longship Armoury:

http://www.sword-forum.com//viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20601
View user's profile Send private message
Edward Lee




Location: New York
Joined: 05 Jul 2013

Posts: 313

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd say odinblade and Longship too, they have an Elven sword that is similar to the one on the drawing.
View user's profile Send private message
Victor Sloan




Location: North Carolina
Joined: 15 Feb 2014

Posts: 69

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Yeah... Let me just tell you from experience, you can't really dictate where the PoB is gonna be. That is entirely dependent on the blades geometry and the mass and length of the hilt. If you are gonna be demanding about the blade being such and such shape and length, and the hilt being shaped just so... Well the PoB is gonna end up wherever it ends up.

Now, the PoB can be controlled by the smith to some degree by adjust the geometry... Which by the way, it appears you are misusing the term Distal Taper. What you are talking about is Profile Taper. Distal Taper is the tapering of the thickness of the blade, usually measured in fractions of a centimeter....

...So back to the smith and geometry. Now, a good smith can move the PoB around some by playing with the geometry and mass in the hilt. But he only has so much he can do without causing problems (poor harmonics, tip gets to thin, etc...)

So the moral of the story... Don't have your heart set on "3 inches" for the PoB


Oops! Thanks for the correction! And for my sword design, I figured the guard and extended pommel would set it about right based on the blade geometry I have in mind. I figured that, for my friend's tactical, giving it a relatively thick guard and tang. And I suppose the 3 inch PoB is much more of a guideline than a solid set. I'm just looking for something with some blade presence but very maneuverable and alive in the hands.

Tim M. wrote:
Just as a heads up, the Verrimus is actually being discontinued I believe according to one of the project leaders for Longship Armoury:

http://www.sword-forum.com//viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20601


Thanks for letting me know! Alas, I will be missing out on that beautiful blade.

Edward Lee wrote:
I'd say odinblade and Longship too, they have an Elven sword that is similar to the one on the drawing.


Thank you for the info!

Looking to start HEMA!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Craig Peters




PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor,

I see that your signature says "Looking to start HEMA", which presumably means you would like to join a club to train. If so, I am wondering why you are planning to order a sword clearly based upon a more fantasy-style design, rather than a historical sword, whether blunt or sharp.
View user's profile Send private message
Victor Sloan




Location: North Carolina
Joined: 15 Feb 2014

Posts: 69

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Victor,

I see that your signature says "Looking to start HEMA", which presumably means you would like to join a club to train. If so, I am wondering why you are planning to order a sword clearly based upon a more fantasy-style design, rather than a historical sword, whether blunt or sharp.


My friend wants a purely fantasy sword but with functionality. My sword does have some historical precedents--the swiss saber is similar in design, but I prefer the longsword hilt. Either way, I understand your point. Sadly there are no clubs in my area either. The closest club to me is 2.5 hours from me one way.

Looking to start HEMA!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Two Sword Designs: Suggested Makers?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum