Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Albion Reeve compared to the Albion Vigil Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Christopher B Lellis




Location: Houston, Texas
Joined: 01 Dec 2012

Posts: 268

PostPosted: Mon 25 Nov, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: The Albion Reeve compared to the Albion Vigil         Reply with quote

I have taken a real interest in the Reeve but I own a Vigil. Both are type X with wide thin profiles dedicated to cutting yet dimensions on paper are only one side of the story. The thing is is I have never handled the Reeve so I don't know what I'm really getting.

For those who have handled both, are they very similar in feel? I ask this because I want to avoid buying a clone that happens to look a bit different, I would prefer something with a different personality.

Can anyone give me their perceptions on these two swords if you have handled both? I will greatly appreciate it so I don't pay for basically the same sword if it happens to be the case.
View user's profile Send private message
Craig Peters




PostPosted: Mon 25 Nov, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have handled the Reeve once. It was surprisingly light in hand, and fairly agile as single handed swords go. The blade certainly does not have a lot of presence, and isn't in the family of more robust single handed swords like the Templar or the Tritonia.

I have not handled the Vigil, but I am quite sure that the two blades will be significantly different, just from the overall differences in the profile taper, distal taper, and double fullers. If you look at the Reeve, you'll notice that there's only a very gradual but constant taper towards the point. By contrast, as far as I can see from the Vigil, the blade is widest near the cross, then tapers gradually, only to swell slightly a bit more towards the point section.

The long and short is that there's no way these two swords will be that similar in hand. Really, the only way you're going to get something that might be like a clone is if you get two swords with the same blade, like say the Reeve and the Bayeux, or the Sempach and the Landgraf. Even then, there will be differences in how the two swords feel, but the blades of course will be very similar.
View user's profile Send private message
Christopher B Lellis




Location: Houston, Texas
Joined: 01 Dec 2012

Posts: 268

PostPosted: Tue 26 Nov, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seems like the Reeve is a bit quicker with maybe a faster recovery than the vigil but probably has somewhat less authority in actually cutting. It's either the Reeve or the Sovereign, I'm juggling on which one I should get next.

If only I could grab both at once… Cry
View user's profile Send private message
Bryan Heff




Location: Philadelphia
Joined: 04 Mar 2012
Likes: 8 pages

Posts: 358

PostPosted: Tue 26 Nov, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I never handled the Vigil but I recently purchased a Reeve. As noted above its extremely quick and fast. I was quite surprised by how light the sword feels in hand. Compared to my Senlac, which does not have a ton of blade presence, but does indeed have some....the Reeve feels like a feather, a very dangerous feather. The blade is extremely thin from guard to tip, so even though it has a wide profile, the balance and quickness are superb IMO. Mine also came extremely sharp for what its worth.

My guess is they handle quite differently.
View user's profile Send private message
Christopher B Lellis




Location: Houston, Texas
Joined: 01 Dec 2012

Posts: 268

PostPosted: Tue 26 Nov, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan Heff wrote:
I never handled the Vigil but I recently purchased a Reeve. As noted above its extremely quick and fast. I was quite surprised by how light the sword feels in hand. Compared to my Senlac, which does not have a ton of blade presence, but does indeed have some....the Reeve feels like a feather, a very dangerous feather. The blade is extremely thin from guard to tip, so even though it has a wide profile, the balance and quickness are superb IMO. Mine also came extremely sharp for what its worth.

My guess is they handle quite differently.


Doing some googling I have read what you said from other people and they have said the same thing or something similar, interesting. The Reeve sounds like a very functional sword against an armor less or light armor opponent.

That with the look of it makes me border line drool, Big Grin I also really like the look of the sword.

I wouldn't except it to be a strong thruster but how does it thrust? Is it a very flexible blade?
View user's profile Send private message
Bryan Heff




Location: Philadelphia
Joined: 04 Mar 2012
Likes: 8 pages

Posts: 358

PostPosted: Tue 26 Nov, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher B Lellis wrote:
Bryan Heff wrote:
I never handled the Vigil but I recently purchased a Reeve. As noted above its extremely quick and fast. I was quite surprised by how light the sword feels in hand. Compared to my Senlac, which does not have a ton of blade presence, but does indeed have some....the Reeve feels like a feather, a very dangerous feather. The blade is extremely thin from guard to tip, so even though it has a wide profile, the balance and quickness are superb IMO. Mine also came extremely sharp for what its worth.

My guess is they handle quite differently.


Doing some googling I have read what you said from other people and they have said the same thing or something similar, interesting. The Reeve sounds like a very functional sword against an armor less or light armor opponent.

That with the look of it makes me border line drool, Big Grin I also really like the look of the sword.

I wouldn't except it to be a strong thruster but how does it thrust? Is it a very flexible blade?


I agree with you on the looks. It is a GREAT looking and classic profiled sword. The blade is probably the most flexible sword I have which includes 3 Albions, H/Ts, Atrim, A&A, Del Tins and Windlass models. It is definitely flexible but its not the least bit floppy or "whippy". You only notice the flex if you press against the blade or bend it while the tip is touching the floor etc. I have had swords in the past that you could feel the flex while moving the sword around, which I did not like, those kinds of swords I personally would describe as whippy, or floppy. The Reeve blade while thin and flexible does not really flex or bend while in motion. I am extremely impressed with how well the mass is distributed with this one. It is not a thrust oriented sword, but I have to think would wreak havoc on unarmored foes with the cut.
View user's profile Send private message
Paul Watson




Location: Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined: 08 Feb 2006

Posts: 391

PostPosted: Tue 26 Nov, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you're adding the Sovereign to the mix all I can say is it felt more like a thruster, nice short blade combined with that mean profile taper also made it quick in the cut. Coolest looking sword I've ever owned, I would advise getting a dark brown grip and bronze pommel. Don't bother begging Mike for that bronze guard like Chad's, they just don't do them any more.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
View user's profile Send private message
Patrick Kelly




Location: Wichita, Kansas
Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 5,681

PostPosted: Tue 26 Nov, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a case of two swords being of the same type but being quite different in feel.

The Reeve is a smaller sword than the Vigil, and while quite quick and manuverable it lacks the Vigils presence. In many ways the Reeve felt like a big knife in my hand. I sold mine primarily because it was just a bit too small for my taste, it almost seemed petite. The Vigil is a larger sword with a much bolder presence, and I suspect it is more powerful in both cut and thrust as well.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
View user's profile Send private message
Christopher B Lellis




Location: Houston, Texas
Joined: 01 Dec 2012

Posts: 268

PostPosted: Tue 26 Nov, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
This is a case of two swords being of the same type but being quite different in feel.

The Reeve is a smaller sword than the Vigil, and while quite quick and manuverable it lacks the Vigils presence. In many ways the Reeve felt like a big knife in my hand. I sold mine primarily because it was just a bit too small for my taste, it almost seemed petite. The Vigil is a larger sword with a much bolder presence, and I suspect it is more powerful in both cut and thrust as well.


Thank you for that first hand comparison,

Honestly I don't think there are many 1 handed swords that can out power cut the Vigil. The blade presence with the slim profile makes this sword cut very deep if you can manage edge alignment, which I have for the most part with this sword.

I've cut through many pork shoulders yet I'm always shocked how it just splits them, bone and all, all the way through, and cut 5 layers of old towels underneath. It's a one hit killer that's for sure.

It's not cumbersome or slow but you still need a strong arm to effectively manage the vigil.

But anyway, I appreciate your insight in the Reeve, a quick dedicated cutter is pretty appealing to me right now.
View user's profile Send private message
Jeremiah Swanger




Location: Hershey, PA
Joined: 20 Feb 2004
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 531

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I remember years ago when I visited Albion's little showroom up in New Glarus, WI. Charming little town, I recommend trying the local beers and cheeses, if you get the chance!

Anyway, I got to handle many different swords, but I received a lesson first-hand in how the fittings of a sword can affect its feel. The particular case is in that of the Reeve, Bayeaux, and Stamford.

All 3 had the exact same blade, yet they all felt and handled differently. I felt that the Reeve was somehow the quickest, and the Stamford had the most blade presence, with the Bayeaux somewhere between the two. It was an experience that completely re-shaped my perceptions of a sword's overall character. The shape of the grip, the mass distribution of the fittings, the angle of the cross, etc, all seemed to factor in somehow (yet, to this day, more than half a decade later, I still can't quite describe HOW).

In the end, I decided to place an order with Mike for a Stamford with a chocolate-brown grip. I love that sword to this day!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Christopher B Lellis




Location: Houston, Texas
Joined: 01 Dec 2012

Posts: 268

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
I remember years ago when I visited Albion's little showroom up in New Glarus, WI. Charming little town, I recommend trying the local beers and cheeses, if you get the chance!

Anyway, I got to handle many different swords, but I received a lesson first-hand in how the fittings of a sword can affect its feel. The particular case is in that of the Reeve, Bayeaux, and Stamford.

All 3 had the exact same blade, yet they all felt and handled differently. I felt that the Reeve was somehow the quickest, and the Stamford had the most blade presence, with the Bayeaux somewhere between the two. It was an experience that completely re-shaped my perceptions of a sword's overall character. The shape of the grip, the mass distribution of the fittings, the angle of the cross, etc, all seemed to factor in somehow (yet, to this day, more than half a decade later, I still can't quite describe HOW).

In the end, I decided to place an order with Mike for a Stamford with a chocolate-brown grip. I love that sword to this day!


Does the Stamfords grip ever dig into your wrist?
View user's profile Send private message
Jeremiah Swanger




Location: Hershey, PA
Joined: 20 Feb 2004
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 531

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher B Lellis wrote:

Does the Stamfords grip ever dig into your wrist?


The pommel, you mean? If so, then no-- the grip isn't long enough for the pommel to dig into my wrist. Using a "handshake" style of grip, the "corner" of the pommel rests pretty comfortably at the heel of my hand. It is worth noting that I do have a fairly-sizable set of palms, however.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
S. Sebok





Joined: 13 Jan 2011
Likes: 9 pages

Posts: 80

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the Reeve and oddly it's the most "perfect" sword I have ever handled. It feels so light and I actually prefer shorter swords to longer ones so the Albion Type X and Type XIVs are the main swords I am interested in. I have handled other Albions like the Knight and Templar and they felt a bit more blade heavy than the Reeve. It is rather quick and glides through stuff as if nothing is there, I cut a watermelon 4 times rather quickly using a handshake grip before the final cut actually caused it to fall apart.

Quite frankly it's the best sword I have ever handled I highly recommend it for anyone really who needs a nice purely cutting early medieval era sword. I haven't handled the other 3 Type X swords though I would like to see how they'd compare, I am just rather happy the Reeve felt perfect in my hand and turned out to be the one which looked the nicest to me.
View user's profile Send private message
Christopher B Lellis




Location: Houston, Texas
Joined: 01 Dec 2012

Posts: 268

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

S. Sebok wrote:
I have the Reeve and oddly it's the most "perfect" sword I have ever handled. It feels so light and I actually prefer shorter swords to longer ones so the Albion Type X and Type XIVs are the main swords I am interested in. I have handled other Albions like the Knight and Templar and they felt a bit more blade heavy than the Reeve. It is rather quick and glides through stuff as if nothing is there, I cut a watermelon 4 times rather quickly using a handshake grip before the final cut actually caused it to fall apart.

Quite frankly it's the best sword I have ever handled I highly recommend it for anyone really who needs a nice purely cutting early medieval era sword. I haven't handled the other 3 Type X swords though I would like to see how they'd compare, I am just rather happy the Reeve felt perfect in my hand and turned out to be the one which looked the nicest to me.


Nice skills, I do that kind of stuff too, but 4 times in mid air is quite impressive. Eek!

I think you sealed the deal for me on the Reeve, just waiting for my next paycheck... tonight Big Grin

Btw, if you are ever under threat of serious bodily harm from another, just go for your sword, I think you are more dangerous with that than most people with guns. Wink
View user's profile Send private message
William M




Location: Buckinghamshire , England
Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Reading list: 7 books

Posts: 257

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice I am liking what I am hearing about the Reeve!!
I currently own an Albion Knight, which is very nice but perhaps a tad too long for me. Perhaps the length of the reeve will be more to my liking although I do not particularly like the simple fittings, even if they are period.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Neil Langley




Location: Stockport, UK
Joined: 23 Jan 2006

Posts: 112

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I own a Reeve and I think it’s the best single handed sword I have ever handled - combining lightness and authority in a way you seldom experience (as I have said before - this sword really wants to cut). Mind you, I love the way it looks too; I would actually buy it simply on looks alone.

Neil.
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Albion Reeve compared to the Albion Vigil
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum