Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Crusader Monk: A&A English Longsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
JE Sarge
Industry Professional



PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Crusader Monk: A&A English Longsword         Reply with quote

Just finished this A&A beauty up. The theme is black and dark antique red.

The grip was redone with a pigskin cover in a gothic theme, with a cord wrap finish applied to the lower half of the grip.

Suspension is hand-tied, but the strap ends have been left unfinished so that the customer can affix his own buckles. The additional suspension belt is also left unfinished so it can be custom fit at the customer's request.

The peen was a little loose on this one, so I tightened it up and added some epoxy into the grip to make her a little more solid. Blade now rings like a bell!

Keep in mind, I am pretty slow right now so my turn-around time is only a week with no waiting list. If you want something done up, now would be the time! Happy












J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
View user's profile Send private message
Guy H.




Location: Texas
Joined: 09 Mar 2011

Posts: 24

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great! Whoever owns that sword has great taste! Happy
View user's profile Send private message
Matthew P. Adams




Location: Cape Cod, MA
Joined: 08 Dec 2008
Likes: 8 pages

Posts: 456

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is the first time I've like the Gothic hilt style. It really works with this hilt furniture.
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC


Last edited by Matthew P. Adams on Sat 08 Sep, 2012 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message
William Swiger




Location: Reston, VA
Joined: 23 Feb 2011
Likes: 50 pages
Reading list: 9 books

Posts: 443

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice job. I have always been interested in that sword but never pulled the trigger.
View user's profile Send private message
Jeremy V. Krause




Location: Buffalo, NY.
Joined: 20 Oct 2003
Likes: 1 page
Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,499

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like what you have done with this sword. The grip does balance the hilt well.

I am not as familiar with scabbards of this period. Is this a historical design for the period? I'm just curious.
View user's profile Send private message
Greg Mele
Industry Professional



Location: Chicago, IL USA
Joined: 20 Mar 2006

Posts: 356

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great!

Have you ever done a 12th c style scabbard?

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Glen A Cleeton




Location: Nipmuc USA
Joined: 21 Aug 2003

Posts: 1,820

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew P. Adams wrote:
This is the first time I've like the Gothic hilt style. It really works with this hilt furniture.


The A&A begins with a gothic hock bottle shape.
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/view.html?sword194b.jpg#

The rewrap and other work look great. I like the sharpness in detail of the A&A grip though the rewarp adds a bit of bulk..

Cheers GC
View user's profile Send private message
Guy H.




Location: Texas
Joined: 09 Mar 2011

Posts: 24

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really? I don't see any sharpness in detail on the A&A original wrap at all.The "X" is dull as is the detail by the pommel. The leather weight looks the same & the new grip wrap shows much more detail. IMHO Happy
View user's profile Send private message
JE Sarge
Industry Professional



PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
I really like what you have done with this sword. The grip does balance the hilt well.

I am not as familiar with scabbards of this period. Is this a historical design for the period? I'm just curious.


Thanks for your compliment.

In answer to your question, I'd have to answer both yes and no. In my limited knowledge, the decorative risers on this type of scabbard would be a little over the top for the period. However, the tied suspension with buckles would be accurate.

Greg Mele wrote:
Looks great!

Have you ever done a 12th c style scabbard?


Thanks, man!

I have done numerous scabbards from different time periods for different swords. If you are talking about an interlaced suspension/belt from the 11th-12th C, then yes, I have done them in the past. The only thing I have not really tried yet is a gladius scabbard or a viking-type scabbard with a strap bridge. Those are on my list though!

Glen A Cleeton wrote:


The rewrap and other work look great. I like the sharpness in detail of the A&A grip though the rewarp adds a bit of bulk..

Cheers GC


Thanks!

I actually used slightly thinner pigskin than the original A&A grip had, so it's actually thinner by comparison. However, the added bottom riser does have a bit of an optical illusion as to making it look thicker in the waist than it was.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
View user's profile Send private message
Greg Mele
Industry Professional



Location: Chicago, IL USA
Joined: 20 Mar 2006

Posts: 356

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:

Thanks, man!

I have done numerous scabbards from different time periods for different swords. If you are talking about an interlaced suspension/belt from the 11th-12th C, then yes, I have done them in the past. The only thing I have not really tried yet is a gladius scabbard or a viking-type scabbard with a strap bridge. Those are on my list though!



Hmm....I have a customized Albion Gaddhjalt here that really needs a scabbard......

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JE Sarge
Industry Professional



PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
JE Sarge wrote:

Thanks, man!

I have done numerous scabbards from different time periods for different swords. If you are talking about an interlaced suspension/belt from the 11th-12th C, then yes, I have done them in the past. The only thing I have not really tried yet is a gladius scabbard or a viking-type scabbard with a strap bridge. Those are on my list though!



Hmm....I have a customized Albion Gaddhjalt here that really needs a scabbard......


Link me to some designs you like via PM and I will get you a quote! Big Grin

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Crusader Monk: A&A English Longsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum