Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Benty Grange Helmet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Robert Muse




Location: Washington
Joined: 28 Sep 2009

Posts: 465

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Benty Grange Helmet         Reply with quote

Hi, does anyone make an accurate reproduction of the Benty Grange Helmet? If so I would appreciate a link to that smith.
Best Regards,
Robert
View user's profile Send private message
Ian S LaSpina




Location: Virginia, US
Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 301

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only place I've seen that explicitly makes a Benty Grange helm is Windrose Armoury. They make it specifically for SCA use, so it's heavier gauge steel and has a bar grill. That being said, they're very nice and reasonable folks over there and might be willing to work with you to make it more like what you're looking for. Here's the link to what they build:

http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/index.php?m...cts_id=658

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
View user's profile Send private message
Gregory J. Liebau




Location: Dinuba, CA
Joined: 27 Nov 2004

Posts: 669

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Due to the simplicity of the Benty Grange helmet, it is likely that almost any custom armorer can provide the services you need. Below I've linked three prominent armorers who have made helmets similar to the Benty Grange. I suggest getting in touch with multiple armorers so that you can discover which one will work with your budget, payment plan, time-frame and expectations for the project best.

Knotwolf Armoury does custom helmets and has done several in this style. Here's his "historic" range (he typically makes SCA helmets)

Manning Imperial is the same - lots in that style, but nothing particularly accurate to the Benty Grange helmet... They do great work but have about a two year queue most of the time.

And of course Thorkil can make anything as well, and specializes in Dark Age helmets.

Cheers!

-Gregory
View user's profile Send private message
Robert Muse




Location: Washington
Joined: 28 Sep 2009

Posts: 465

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Helmet         Reply with quote

Thank you both Ian and Gregory for the information. I really like the Knotwolf helmets, although they would need a bit of changing around. The main problem is the bronze boar, which he seems to be able to get. Also it appears the original, may have been covered in horn, which many craftmen don't seem to want to do.

I will pursue this farther with the informatiion provided.

Again,
Many thanks
Robert
View user's profile Send private message
Matt Corbin




Location: U.S.A.
Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Likes: 9 pages
Reading list: 12 books

Posts: 333

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert,

You may already be aware of this, but there is some pretty detailed information on the construction of a replica on this website:

http://www.idigsheffield.org.uk/index.asp?menu=expl

Benty Grange is certainly an interesting helm. It's far less decorative than many from the period, but no less intriguing. I can't help but wonder how effective horn would be for a helmet. I also wonder why horn was used if iron was available at the time.


“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
View user's profile Send private message
Gregory J. Liebau




Location: Dinuba, CA
Joined: 27 Nov 2004

Posts: 669

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Corbin wrote:
Benty Grange is certainly an interesting helm. It's far less decorative than many from the period, but no less intriguing. I can't help but wonder how effective horn would be for a helmet. I also wonder why horn was used if iron was available at the time.


I imagine that with the integral iron pieces holding it together, the Benty Grange helmet was probably pretty protective against light or glancing blows from most weapons, just as any iron helmet of the time would be (although probably to a slightly lesser degree). The Mycenaeans used their famous and extremely expensive (lots of dead boars!) boar tusk helmets for centuries, so they must have been of some merit - they're depicted so often and even shown being used by massed infantry, that they couldn't have possibly just been some sort of ceremonial helmet.

-Gregory
View user's profile Send private message
Roderick Stacey




Location: Ballarat, Australia
Joined: 12 May 2009
Likes: 2 pages
Reading list: 5 books

Posts: 60

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
Due to the simplicity of the Benty Grange helmet, it is likely that almost any custom armorer can provide the services you need. Below I've linked three prominent armorers who have made helmets similar to the Benty Grange. I suggest getting in touch with multiple armorers so that you can discover which one will work with your budget, payment plan, time-frame and expectations for the project best.

Knotwolf Armoury does custom helmets and has done several in this style. Here's his "historic" range (he typically makes SCA helmets)

Manning Imperial is the same - lots in that style, but nothing particularly accurate to the Benty Grange helmet... They do great work but have about a two year queue most of the time.

And of course Thorkil can make anything as well, and specializes in Dark Age helmets.

Cheers!

-Gregory


Manning Imperial can make one, its just they haven't been asked to make a custom helmet of that type.
View user's profile Send private message
Gregory J. Liebau




Location: Dinuba, CA
Joined: 27 Nov 2004

Posts: 669

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roderick Stacey wrote:
Manning Imperial can make one, its just they haven't been asked to make a custom helmet of that type.


If you'll read the top of my post, it is clear that I realize all of these armorers do entirely custom work - I was describing their previous work in the hot links, so that Robert could have some expectation of what he should look at on their site for an idea of their quality and details of craftsmanship. I've ordered completely custom work from Craig Sitch at Manning and enjoy his work very much. I would recommend him above the others, although I realize his long queue can be a bit off-putting.

-Gregory


Last edited by Gregory J. Liebau on Thu 03 Mar, 2011 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message
Roderick Stacey




Location: Ballarat, Australia
Joined: 12 May 2009
Likes: 2 pages
Reading list: 5 books

Posts: 60

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
Roderick Stacey wrote:
Manning Imperial can make one, its just they haven't been asked to make a custom helmet of that type.


If you'll read the top of my post, it is clear that I realize all of these armorers are do entirely custom work - I was describing their previous work in the hot links, so that Robert could have some expectation of what he should look at on their site for an idea of their quality and details of craftsmanship. I've ordered completely custom work from Craig Sitch at Manning and enjoy his work very much. I would recommend him above the others, although I realize his long queue can be a bit off-putting.

-Gregory


I must have just misconstrued the middle part of the post is all, no offence intended. Cool
View user's profile Send private message
Robert Muse




Location: Washington
Joined: 28 Sep 2009

Posts: 465

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Helmet         Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply, I've Been away. The photo that Matt sent is just what I am looking for. I'll contact Manning Imperial and see if I can afford it. I do have one of his swords and I agree that the work is very nice.

Again, thanks for the links and info.
Regards
Robert
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Benty Grange Helmet
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum