Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ordered my first sword; Albion Sovereign Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Author Message
Jason M. Rogers




Location: Lorton Virginia
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Likes: 4 pages

Posts: 30

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Ordered my first sword; Albion Sovereign         Reply with quote

Today I placed my order. Here is an edited version of a follow up email I sent to Mike:

"Mike, Today, Friday July 31st, I called to place my order via phone. I spoke to a very pleasant Lady. Sorry, I did not catch here name. I placed with her my order for a Sovereign with steel pommel and oxblood grip. I asked her to add a note "Nice and sharp all the way to the cross, please." We talked of the corispondense you and I have shared. I gave her my credit card number and asked that I be billed for [Recacted]. My dealings with you have been the most pleasant customer care interaction I have ever had. I thank you for your promp and courteous reponses to what must be, for you, very tedious noob questions. Once I have recieved my blade I intend to write a costomer testimonial cronicling how enjoyable you have made this proces for me. I have every confidence that if your blades are as true as you, Sir, I will have recived a blade as good as the reviews all over the internet say and better. Very Respectfully, Jason M. Rogers."

Now the insufferable waiting begins.


Last edited by Jason M. Rogers on Sat 01 Aug, 2009 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message
Jason M. Rogers




Location: Lorton Virginia
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Likes: 4 pages

Posts: 30

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please allow me to add how helpfull I found all the reviews and opinions offered by all. I am exited to now be a part of this forum.
View user's profile Send private message
Tim Lison




Location: Chicago, Illinois
Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Likes: 1 page
Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,502

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on your first purchase! You picked a real gem as a first sword. My Sovereign had really nicely executed fullers and felt great. Very nimble and quick. I'm sure you'll ejoy it! Hopefully your wait won't be too long.....
View user's profile Send private message
Jason M. Rogers




Location: Lorton Virginia
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Likes: 4 pages

Posts: 30

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Congratulations on your first purchase! You picked a real gem as a first sword. My Sovereign had really nicely executed fullers and felt great. Very nimble and quick. I'm sure you'll ejoy it! Hopefully your wait won't be too long.....


Thanks. I have a home mortgage, car note and two little girls under four so... lets just say I'm not liquid just right now. If I wanted this blade I needed to take advantage the their "this economy sucks" sale. I'll be making some installments. The wait theirfore is not on Albion but on me.

I love it every time someone, such as yourself, tells me how great this blade is. It literaly gives me shivers of antisipation.
I'm pushing 40 and I'm as giddy as a little girl over this thing.
View user's profile Send private message
R D Moore




Location: Portland Oregon
Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Likes: 7 pages
Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 425

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason M. Rogers wrote:

I'm pushing 40 and I'm as giddy as a little girl over this thing.


Well, that feeling doesn't die even after 40 has pushed you, Jason. Congratulations, you picked a great sword!

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Scott S.




Location: Central North Carolina
Joined: 28 May 2009
Likes: 1 page
Reading list: 8 books

Posts: 108

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Jason!

I've just toasted your first purchase with a "1554" New Belgium Enlightened Black Ale.
(I like my beer like I like my swords, Medieval! (Ok, "Early Renaissance" ...whatev!)

I particularly respect your ability to hold out for such a nice first sword. I just bought my first "functional" sword about three months ago myself, about the time I signed up here. It was a much more humble "Classic Medieval" from Windlass (via KOA) but no regrets, she's a fine and inspirational first sword. With the exception of a Rittersteel Authentics warhammer, I've mostly owned junk. (Cough::Kit Rae::Cough) Thanks to the fine and exceptionally gracious people on this forum, (Slainte!) my aesthetic taste has changed entirely. To me there is nothing more elegant now than the stark simplicity of anything in Oakeshott's basic typology. I have since removed my rather silly fantasy swords from my walls, they hold no appeal for me now whatsoever. (Still a movie buff too 'tho, I wouldn't necessarily turn down an Atlantean or high quality LOTR repro.)

If you imagine that having this sword you've coveted and saved for might better connect you with history, or even inspire you to be a better person, it can! Happy
View user's profile Send private message
Jared Smith




Location: Tennessee
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Likes: 1 page

Spotlight topics: 3
Posts: 1,532

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R D Moore wrote:


Well, that feeling doesn't die even after 40 has pushed you, Jason.


In my experience it does not die as one approaches 50 either. In fact, as time and acquired tools permit, the "do it yourself" phenomena sets in and pretty soon you are looking for a location where you can set up the heat treat equipment.

I am curious if Jason struggled the choose between the Vigil versus the Sovereign? If I remember it right, Patrick Kelly or an early reviewer/ recipient perceived some similarities and compared the two.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
View user's profile Send private message
Jean Thibodeau




Location: Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Likes: 50 pages
Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5
Posts: 8,132

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason:

I also have a Sovereign and it's a very nice sword and the double fullers are very attractive.

As to sharpness I don't think you have to worry about it NOT being sharp as I bought mine without specifying anything about how sharp it should be near the guard and mine is very sharp from guard to tip.

So I don't know how much sharper it could be. Wink Laughing Out Loud Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message
Scott Kowalski




Location: Oak Lawn, IL USA
Joined: 24 Nov 2006

Posts: 736

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Jason! While I do not own a Sovereign I do currently have both a Next Gen Squire and Vigil from Albion. I should warn you that Albions are quite addictive and you will soon find yourself trying to figure out how to get your next one.

Of course also being in that pushing 40 club with a mortgage and two daughters who are 11 and 8, it does get worse, the only advantage I have over you is that our vehicles are payed for I know how you feel.

Be sure to post pictures when you get it paid off and it arrives.

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
View user's profile Send private message
Justin King
Industry Professional



Location: flagstaff,arizona
Joined: 12 Apr 2004
Reading list: 20 books

Posts: 551

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations! You picked a fine sword and will not regret making the payments when you could have had a lesser piece in your hands by now. I admire and also envy just a little, these new collectors who buy an Albion as their first sword.
I have 5 Albions now and love all of them. Others have already warned you, they are addictive, and the payment plan offered by Albion is insiduous, like a dangling carrot. It begins...
View user's profile Send private message
Jason M. Rogers




Location: Lorton Virginia
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Likes: 4 pages

Posts: 30

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:

I am curious if Jason struggled the choose between the Vigil versus the Sovereign? If I remember it right, Patrick Kelly or an early reviewer/ recipient perceived some similarities and compared the two.


OK thats just creepy, now I have to go put on my tinfoil hat Razz GET OUT OF MY HEAD

The double fuller is what made me get the Sovereign. I could have had the Yeoman much quicker and it is basically the same sword without the double fuller. So yes the Vigil is the other one I have my eye on.


Last edited by Jason M. Rogers on Sat 01 Aug, 2009 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message
Brian K.
Industry Professional



Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Joined: 01 Jan 2008

Posts: 717

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had the opportunity to handle to Sovereign and it's a very fine blade. Congratulations!
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Adam S.





Joined: 01 Sep 2006

Posts: 146

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason M. Rogers wrote:

The double fuller is what made me get the Sovereign. I could have had the Yeoman much quicker and it is basically the same sword without the double fuller. So yes the Vigil is other one I have my eye on.


Actually, there's much more to the difference than just the double fuller vs the single. The Sovereign is a heavier sword all-around, a bit more of a "war" blade. While the Yeoman and Sheriff are lighter. All three are excellent, fast, and fun-they do have THAT in common! Wink

Enjoy!

~A
View user's profile Send private message
T Lui




Location: Florida
Joined: 25 Jul 2009

Posts: 42

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know how you feel. I'm a first time Albion buyer myself (first time European/Medieval sword buyer who's been a longtime katanaphile too) and I caved by ordering the Kingmaker with antiqued hilt and campaign worn leather grip. After seeing pictures of Brian K.'s Kingmaker, I knew I had to get it. Happy Now comes the agonizing waiting game!

A strange time to buy too, considering I still need to buy a bunch of furniture and have a vacation coming my way too. Expenses, expenses. I was also debating buying my first handgun too but seeing how I just blew my budget for this year, the gun will have to wait until next year (along with a scabbard and belt for my Kingmaker; Brian K., you're currently my first choice for such a commission!).

Dang Albion and their July sale and discounts!
View user's profile Send private message
Sam Gordon Campbell




Location: Australia.
Joined: 16 Nov 2008

Posts: 677

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pics or it didn't happen Razz Big Grin
Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
View user's profile Send private message
Jason M. Rogers




Location: Lorton Virginia
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Likes: 4 pages

Posts: 30

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:
I've had the opportunity to handle to Sovereign and it's a very fine blade. Congratulations!


I have seen the beautiful scabbards you make. With any luck you will have an opportunity to get acquainted with my Sovereign someday! Big Grin
View user's profile Send private message
Justin B.




Location: Riverside, CA
Joined: 30 Sep 2007
Likes: 1 page
Reading list: 17 books

Posts: 63

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam S. wrote:
Jason M. Rogers wrote:

The double fuller is what made me get the Sovereign. I could have had the Yeoman much quicker and it is basically the same sword without the double fuller. So yes the Vigil is other one I have my eye on.


Actually, there's much more to the difference than just the double fuller vs the single. The Sovereign is a heavier sword all-around, a bit more of a "war" blade. While the Yeoman and Sheriff are lighter. All three are excellent, fast, and fun-they do have THAT in common! Wink

Enjoy!

~A

Ok, this is a somewhat scary statement. I'm sitting here swinging my Yeoman around, and I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have the slightest problem cleaving a limb or two off with it... and you're saying that the Sovereign is even heavier?! Yikes!

Congrats on the sword, Jason. You've just doomed yourself, but in a very good way Wink
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jean Thibodeau




Location: Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Likes: 50 pages
Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5
Posts: 8,132

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin B. wrote:
Adam S. wrote:
Jason M. Rogers wrote:

The double fuller is what made me get the Sovereign. I could have had the Yeoman much quicker and it is basically the same sword without the double fuller. So yes the Vigil is other one I have my eye on.


Actually, there's much more to the difference than just the double fuller vs the single. The Sovereign is a heavier sword all-around, a bit more of a "war" blade. While the Yeoman and Sheriff are lighter. All three are excellent, fast, and fun-they do have THAT in common! Wink

Enjoy!

~A

Ok, this is a somewhat scary statement. I'm sitting here swinging my Yeoman around, and I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have the slightest problem cleaving a limb or two off with it... and you're saying that the Sovereign is even heavier?! Yikes!

Congrats on the sword, Jason. You've just doomed yourself, but in a very good way Wink

( Note: try the Gaddjalt or Tritonia and the Sovereign is like feather in comparison ! SCARY ).


Well, I wouldn't say substantially heavier but it may have more presence that the Yeoman, but it's still a very easy to wield sword.

Oh, and sharp edges should be treated with respect like an always loaded gun: One has to remain conscious of one's surroundings for one's own safety and anyone close i.e. absent minded and careless swinging or over committed blows might hit one's legs if a target is missed !

With sharps I think accidents happen if one is too confident and/or if one fears the blade too much. ( Fear can make you awkward or over react and overconfidence makes one thoughtless ).

If with other people one has to be careful about the maturity of those people as well as one's own ! Party atmosphere + beer + people unfamiliar with swords + risk takers/jerks don't mix ! But then an axe or a chain saw or a car are as dangerous with the wrong mix of people and/or attitude

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message
Philip Montgomery




Location: Houston
Joined: 29 May 2008
Likes: 2 pages

Posts: 83

PostPosted: Thu 06 Aug, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ordered my first sword; Albion Sovereign         Reply with quote

I received my very first sword yesterday in the mail. It's an Albion Arms Squire Line Knightly Sword. I needed something affordable, but well made. I have been making knives through stock removal and practicing some forging techniques. I wanted this sword ...... well I wanted it because I wanted it.....but I want to make a sword and I need a model. But that is just rationalization---the Prince Valiant in me wants a good sword, and I got it.

I am giddy. It seems so technologically advanced over a knife....it has a lot more flex in the tip than I expected. How do they do that? Anyway, I had to weigh in on this posting. I am still learning how to make a simple knife. I have my art and my craft work plotted for the next 30 years. Now I need a better anvil.

And this morning my wife said to me, "Honey, maybe you should buy a nice sheath for that sword?" I love that woman. I have a feeling this passion may never stop.

Philip

Jason M. Rogers wrote:
Today I placed my order. Here is an edited version of a follow up email I sent to Mike:

"Mike, Today, Friday July 31st, I called to place my order via phone. I spoke to a very pleasant Lady. Sorry, I did not catch here name. I placed with her my order for a Sovereign with steel pommel and oxblood grip. I asked her to add a note "Nice and sharp all the way to the cross, please." We talked of the corispondense you and I have shared. I gave her my credit card number and asked that I be billed for [Recacted]. My dealings with you have been the most pleasant customer care interaction I have ever had. I thank you for your promp and courteous reponses to what must be, for you, very tedious noob questions. Once I have recieved my blade I intend to write a costomer testimonial cronicling how enjoyable you have made this proces for me. I have every confidence that if your blades are as true as you, Sir, I will have recived a blade as good as the reviews all over the internet say and better. Very Respectfully, Jason M. Rogers."

Now the insufferable waiting begins.

Philip Montgomery
~-----~
"A broken sword blade fwipping through the air like a scythe through rye does demand attention."
View user's profile Send private message
Jason M. Rogers




Location: Lorton Virginia
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Likes: 4 pages

Posts: 30

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just talked to Mike over at Albion Swords. My Sovereign is setting on the grip bench, likely to ship in a week or two!
The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, at any time, and with utter recklessness.
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ordered my first sword; Albion Sovereign
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum