Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Passion of the Christ Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Author Message
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni


myArmoury Alumni

Location: New Hampshire
Joined: 17 Aug 2003
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 2,160

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: The Passion of the Christ         Reply with quote

Go see this movie ....

- Thomas

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Stephen A. Fisher




Location: Kentucky USA
Joined: 17 Oct 2003

Posts: 455

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Saw it last Sunday with a church group. Great film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jeremiah Swanger




Location: Hershey, PA
Joined: 20 Feb 2004
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 531

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Passion of the Christ         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Go see this movie ....

- Thomas


Agreed. I could tell that Mel Gibson poured his heart and soul into every single minute of this film.

And the ending was beautifully executed.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
David Wilson




Location: In a van down by the river
Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Posts: 773

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes.

See this film. It is powerful, with a power that comes not so much from it's (much hyped) violence and brutality, but from it's portrayal of grace and beauty in the face of such shocking cruelty.

If you've heard the phrase "by His wounds we are healed" and wondered what it means, see this movie. Even if you haven't, see this movie regardless.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Taylor Ellis




PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not too popular with a lot of high profile jews though. Not having seen it yet, I couldn't say if it should be.
View user's profile Send private message
David McElrea




Location: Canada
Joined: 26 Nov 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 438

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alas, we have to wait until March 26th for it to open in the UK. I am eagerly awaiting it, though.

David
View user's profile Send private message
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional



Location: Thailand
Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Posts: 434

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to local scuttlebutt, it won't be playing at all here in the Kingdom of Thailand.

--ElJay
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gary Venable




Location: Kansas City
Joined: 21 Aug 2003
Likes: 3 pages
Reading list: 16 books

Posts: 133

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw it as well and would echo Thomas

Quote:
Go see this movie ....


Gary Venable
View user's profile Send private message
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional



Location: Upstate NY
Joined: 18 Oct 2003

Posts: 1,563

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My nine year old wants to go and I had to give her the wave off till she's older just due to the graphic nature of parts
of it . I am going though . The aforementioned high profile jews who are taking time out of thier day to be "offended"
may want to spend some time in Israel remembering what it is to be Jewish ! When everybody living around you violently
hates you it might change your idea of what it means to be "offended" some .Folks trying to kill you'll do that .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jeremiah Swanger




Location: Hershey, PA
Joined: 20 Feb 2004
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 531

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Actually...         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
Not too popular with a lot of high profile jews though. Not having seen it yet, I couldn't say if it should be.


I wonder if said high-profile jews have even seen the movie- I honestly have no idea how anyone can draw anti-semetic sentiment from a movie that featured compassionate people... nearly all of them Jewish. Yeah, of course the Saducees and Pharisees screamed for Y'eshua's blood- he was seen as a threat to the religious leaders' power. If anything, the film is not a strike against Jews in general, but certain Hebrew leaders who manipulated the masses. Every single culture in the world has been both victim and victimizer.

There are just certain people who play the part of the victim every chance they get, and they are the ones who see a cultural phenomenon like this as a threat to their state of victimhood. Or, at least, that's how *I* see it. I am part Jewish. I am very proud of that. But, at the same time, I choose to be realistic about the human race, no matter what culture.

Ignore the hype. I firmly believe that said hype comes largely from people who don't understand the concept of faith. Go see the movie and make up your own concensus on it- all I can guarantee is that it won't be a waste of money. Happy

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
James Aldrich




Location: Green Bay WI
Joined: 21 Aug 2003

Posts: 112

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Saw it; enjoyed it. I particularly appreciated the portrayal of Lucifer. One big clinker that disappointed: Why was Mary Magdalen equated with the woman caught in adultery? That is not so in the Gospels. Matter of fact, contrary to tradition, there is nothing in the Gospels to suggest she was a prostitute.

JSA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jeremiah Swanger




Location: Hershey, PA
Joined: 20 Feb 2004
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 531

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Erm...         Reply with quote

James Aldrich wrote:
Saw it; enjoyed it. I particularly appreciated the portrayal of Lucifer. One big clinker that disappointed: Why was Mary Magdalen equated with the woman caught in adultery? That is not so in the Gospels. Matter of fact, contrary to tradition, there is nothing in the Gospels to suggest she was a prostitute.

JSA


From Luke 7:37-38

"And behold, a woman of the city, who was a sinner, when she learned that he was at table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of ointment, 38 and standing behind him at his feet, weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment."

What exactly do you think "woman of the city" means? Razz

And no, I didn't catch the implication that she was the woman caught in adultery- pious people aren't exactly nice to prostitutes, you know...

This could have been another Mary, however. But the connection is commonly made that it was Mary Mag'dalene. Whether or not this is right is up to interpretation.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Erin Burke





Joined: 20 Nov 2003

Posts: 5

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Erm...         Reply with quote

Quote:
From Luke 7:37-38

"And behold, a woman of the city, who was a sinner, when she learned that he was at table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of ointment, 38 and standing behind him at his feet, weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment."

What exactly do you think "woman of the city" means? Razz

And no, I didn't catch the implication that she was the woman caught in adultery- pious people aren't exactly nice to prostitutes, you know...


Woman of the city = prostitute? How would you interpret the following?

Jos 8:14 And it came to pass, when the king of Ai saw it, that they hasted and rose up early, and the men of the city went out against Israel to battle...

... I'm just a gigolo, and everywhere I go...

Besides, my King James translates the verse:

Luk 7:37 And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner...

Not say you're wrong... just questioning that particular argument.

efb
View user's profile Send private message
David McElrea




Location: Canada
Joined: 26 Nov 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 438

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
One big clinker that disappointed: Why was Mary Magdalen equated with the woman caught in adultery? That is not so in the Gospels. Matter of fact, contrary to tradition, there is nothing in the Gospels to suggest she was a prostitute.


That is a fair comment-- church tradition historically equated the woman of Luke 7 with Mary Magdalene-- thus the connection drawn between the two by Mel Gibson. The connection is not made in scripture (many scholars think this was the Mary who was sister to Martha and Lazarus), and the Roman Catholic Church has changed Mary from "penitent saint" (meaning in this case repentant prostitute) to "simple" saint-- effectively acknowledging her misrepresetation.

While historical accuracy might have been best, I am willing to allow for a little artistic license-- it does, after all, fit in with the traditions that Mel would have grown up with.

Hopefully this movie will cause many to reflect on the nature of faith.

David
View user's profile Send private message
Geoff Wood




Location: UK
Joined: 31 Aug 2003

Posts: 634

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any good swords in it?
View user's profile Send private message
David Wilson




Location: In a van down by the river
Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Posts: 773

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not to get into a debate over whether or not Mary Magdalene was the "prostitute/adulterous woman" described in scripture ('cuz there's really no direct Biblical evidence that she was, it is inferred by some, and it's traditional in some circles), but I have to think that if she indeed was one and the same, what a testament of faith and redemption that would be -- that she was basically the lowest of the low (a woman violating sacred law, in a time and place where women had few rights), yet Jesus lifted her up and she became the early church leader that scriptures described. I think her story would be even more inspiring, seen in that light.... anyway, it's a thought....

Regarding the supposed Anti-Semitism: As has been commented, yes, it does show that the Jewish Leadership (though not all -- it shows clearly that some Jewish Leaders were opposed to the proceedings against Jesus, yet they were excluded by Caiaphas and his cronies) was out to get Jesus. And it does show an angry mob, whipped into a frenzy by the leaders, crying for Jesus' death. But it also shows that there were Jews who supported Jesus, who either were -- or became -- sympathetic to him. And then of course there's the fact that Christ *was* a Jew, and his followers, friends, and family were all Jews. Besides, Mel Gibson has made it clear in interviews who he credits with the death of Christ....

Does this film inspire anti-semitism? No. No normal person, upon seeing this film, would be moved to anti-jewish sentiment. If someone does come out spewing hateful nonsense, it is because they were a moron already, and not because of this film.

One point I got from this film is that it was the Politicians -- Jewish and Roman -- who sold Jesus out to cover their own butts. Does this make me distrust "The Jews"? Of course not. Does it make me distrust Politicians? Too late.

But even that is not the main point of the movie..... to focus on "Jews and Romans and whodunnit" is to miss the point....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jeremiah Swanger




Location: Hershey, PA
Joined: 20 Feb 2004
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 531

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Hmm...         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:
Not to get into a debate over whether or not Mary Magdalene was the "prostitute/adulterous woman" described in scripture ('cuz there's really no direct Biblical evidence that she was, it is inferred by some, and it's traditional in some circles), but I have to think that if she indeed was one and the same, what a testament of faith and redemption that would be -- that she was basically the lowest of the low (a woman violating sacred law, in a time and place where women had few rights), yet Jesus lifted her up and she became the early church leader that scriptures described. I think her story would be even more inspiring, seen in that light.... anyway, it's a thought....

Regarding the supposed Anti-Semitism: As has been commented, yes, it does show that the Jewish Leadership (though not all -- it shows clearly that some Jewish Leaders were opposed to the proceedings against Jesus, yet they were excluded by Caiaphas and his cronies) was out to get Jesus. And it does show an angry mob, whipped into a frenzy by the leaders, crying for Jesus' death. But it also shows that there were Jews who supported Jesus, who either were -- or became -- sympathetic to him. And then of course there's the fact that Christ *was* a Jew, and his followers, friends, and family were all Jews. Besides, Mel Gibson has made it clear in interviews who he credits with the death of Christ....

Does this film inspire anti-semitism? No. No normal person, upon seeing this film, would be moved to anti-jewish sentiment. If someone does come out spewing hateful nonsense, it is because they were a moron already, and not because of this film.

One point I got from this film is that it was the Politicians -- Jewish and Roman -- who sold Jesus out to cover their own butts. Does this make me distrust "The Jews"? Of course not. Does it make me distrust Politicians? Too late.

But even that is not the main point of the movie..... to focus on "Jews and Romans and whodunnit" is to miss the point....



Very well-said, David. Happy

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Joel Chesser




Location: Oklahoma
Joined: 23 Oct 2003

Posts: 714

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't seen it yet, but i am really looking forward to.
It looks stunning

Big Grin

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
View user's profile Send private message
Steve Fabert





Joined: 03 Mar 2004
Likes: 10 pages

Posts: 493

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel Chesser wrote:
I haven't seen it yet, but i am really looking forward to.
It looks stunning

:D


I saw it last week, and was more impressed than any of the reviews suggested I should be. Picked up a copy of the soundtrack CD today - the music would be worth the admission price even if the rest of the film had been no more than average, which it definitely is not.

I saw a poll saying almost exactly half the country definitely plans to see it, a statistic that would probably be unique in film history.
View user's profile Send private message
David McElrea




Location: Canada
Joined: 26 Nov 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 438

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
David Wilson wrote:
Not to get into a debate over whether or not Mary Magdalene was the "prostitute/adulterous woman" described in scripture ('cuz there's really no direct Biblical evidence that she was, it is inferred by some, and it's traditional in some circles), but I have to think that if she indeed was one and the same, what a testament of faith and redemption that would be -- that she was basically the lowest of the low (a woman violating sacred law, in a time and place where women had few rights), yet Jesus lifted her up and she became the early church leader that scriptures described. I think her story would be even more inspiring, seen in that light.... anyway, it's a thought....

Regarding the supposed Anti-Semitism: As has been commented, yes, it does show that the Jewish Leadership (though not all -- it shows clearly that some Jewish Leaders were opposed to the proceedings against Jesus, yet they were excluded by Caiaphas and his cronies) was out to get Jesus. And it does show an angry mob, whipped into a frenzy by the leaders, crying for Jesus' death. But it also shows that there were Jews who supported Jesus, who either were -- or became -- sympathetic to him. And then of course there's the fact that Christ *was* a Jew, and his followers, friends, and family were all Jews. Besides, Mel Gibson has made it clear in interviews who he credits with the death of Christ....

Does this film inspire anti-semitism? No. No normal person, upon seeing this film, would be moved to anti-jewish sentiment. If someone does come out spewing hateful nonsense, it is because they were a moron already, and not because of this film.

One point I got from this film is that it was the Politicians -- Jewish and Roman -- who sold Jesus out to cover their own butts. Does this make me distrust "The Jews"? Of course not. Does it make me distrust Politicians? Too late.

But even that is not the main point of the movie..... to focus on "Jews and Romans and whodunnit" is to miss the point....



Very well-said, David.


I agree-- well said. Thanks for drawing us back to the point-- grace.

David Mc
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Passion of the Christ
Page 1 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum