Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The End of the Conan Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Author Message
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional



Location: Wisconsin, USA
Joined: 18 Aug 2003

Posts: 716

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: The End of the Conan Project         Reply with quote

Though not many here may care, I thought that I should let those of you who do, that we have decided to opt out of our contract with Conan Properties.

As of October of this year, we will stop taking orders for the Atlanteans, Master's/Father's swords and other Conan pieces that we have produced over the years.

It was fun fighting to bring these landmark pieces back from the dead. The collection we have amassed of great (and often tearful) testimonials from new owners of the Atlantean in particular, will be something Amy, Jody and I will always cherish. (And seeing our sword in our display box in the conference room of the Governor of California whenever he is on TV is kinda cool, too.)

It is certainly, for us at least, the end of an era.

But, as you all well know, we have plenty to keep us busy.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional



PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Howy, the Conan stuff isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I can attest to the fact that you made a lot of people very happy by producing those swords, I've had dealings with several of them. You all deserve a lot of credit for stepping up to the plate on that one... and I believe you hit a home run. Now if you can see about getting those Lord of the Rings licenses from the Tolkien estate since U.C. lost them... Wink
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
View user's profile Send private message
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional



Location: Wisconsin, USA
Joined: 18 Aug 2003

Posts: 716

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Hey Howy, the Conan stuff isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I can attest to the fact that you made a lot of people very happy by producing those swords, I've had dealings with several of them. You all deserve a lot of credit for stepping up to the plate on that one... and I believe you hit a home run. Now if you can see about getting those Lord of the Rings licenses from the Tolkien estate since U.C. lost them... Wink


Thanks, Russ!

On LOTR: After the experiences we have had with licensing arrangements, I'd rather not...

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
David Martin




Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Joined: 11 Apr 2005

Posts: 162

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does this mean that your remaining stock will be sold off at greatly discounted prices?

Well shucks, you can't blame a guy for trying... Wink

Thank you for offering these swords. They were beautifully executed and although they weren't exactly practical, they did remind us of times of high adventure. <insert booming music here>

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
View user's profile Send private message
Mark G.
Industry Professional



Location: WI
Joined: 17 Feb 2005

Posts: 74

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's kind of a shame. I have a lot of fond memories of working on them, recreating the swords I grew up watching on film. It was a great project to have once been a part of, and you guys really did the sword justice. The customer's testimonials certainly vouched for that.

Mark

www.ollinsworddesign.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tim Lison




Location: Chicago, Illinois
Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Likes: 1 page
Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,513

Feedback score: 100%
(2 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is somewhat sad news to me. I never bought any of the Conan swords but always had in the back of my mind that one day I might (but not by October). It can be said, however, that Albion has solved the riddle of steel. See you in Valhalla Atlantean!
View user's profile Send private message
Alex Oster




Location: Washington and Yokohama
Joined: 01 Mar 2004

Posts: 410

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sad news indeed....

It was an awesome undertaking that has fufilled many a childhood dream. Its too bad that we never saw it in full bloom. There is no way I'll be able to raise the kind of cash needed to take part by October, but, more importantly, I fear for the other film sword lines. Will we be seeing the end of them as well as Albion focuses on its core products? I'm one of those in transition people who can't quite claim career status, but still hold career funded dreams. Now, they might just be narrowed in scope... thats a sad day indeed.

Keep us posted and thanks again for all your hard work!

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jonathan Blair




Location: Hanover, PA
Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Likes: 4 pages
Reading list: 2 books

Posts: 480

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I take it then that we will never see the Mother's sword or Valeria's sword which are still listed as "coming soon" on the FilmSwords Swords of Conan page? Or were these released and the page just never updated? Not that I ever planned to get one: I'm slowly saving for another Next Gen. It just would have been nice to see one.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
View user's profile Send private message
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional



Location: Wisconsin, USA
Joined: 18 Aug 2003

Posts: 716

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
I take it then that we will never see the Mother's sword or Valeria's sword which are still listed as "coming soon" on the FilmSwords Swords of Conan page? Or were these released and the page just never updated? Not that I ever planned to get one: I'm slowly saving for another Next Gen. It just would have been nice to see one.


Hi Jonathan!

To be honest: I don't know. We have them mostly done, but the blade on one needs some programming tweaks, and castings on the other are still at the foundry. If they get done in time...

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jean Thibodeau




PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Jonathan Blair wrote:
I take it then that we will never see the Mother's sword or Valeria's sword which are still listed as "coming soon" on the FilmSwords Swords of Conan page? Or were these released and the page just never updated? Not that I ever planned to get one: I'm slowly saving for another Next Gen. It just would have been nice to see one.


Hi Jonathan!

To be honest: I don't know. We have them mostly done, but the blade on one needs some programming tweaks, and castings on the other are still at the foundry. If they get done in time...

Best,

Howy


Oh, a small point: I've also noticed a few things on the web site that have been there " forever " listed as coming soon like the Maciejowski Helm on the Albion armour page http://www.albion-swords.com/armor/lars/armor.htm

Also the armour page for Mercenary Tailor's is also not up to date compared to Allan's own web page: Allan's own web page,
http://www.merctailor.com/index.php Many here probably are aware that Allan has his own site but just in case they don't that is why I just posted the link here as there are a lot of new products not on the Albion page.

Now, this is understandable as I assume that you guys have tons of work developing new swords and getting the current product out and updating the web page can get lost as a low(er ) priority.

I could add a few things like announced articles that haven't been posted yet ? But I guess I would rather that Peter use his time on those new swords than writing an article on heat treating or something. Wink Cool

Just take this as constructive criticism and not as a complaint and as a friendly F.Y.I. thing. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional



Location: Wisconsin, USA
Joined: 18 Aug 2003

Posts: 716

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Oh, a small point: I've also noticed a few things on the web site that have been there " forever " listed as coming soon like the Maciejowski Helm on the Albion armour page http://www.albion-swords.com/armor/lars/armor.htm

Also the armour page for Mercenary Tailor's is also not up to date compared to Allan's own web page: Allan's own web page,
http://www.merctailor.com/index.php Many here probably are aware that Allan has his own site but just in case they don't that is why I just posted the link here as there are a lot of new products not on the Albion page.

Now, this is understandable as I assume that you guys have tons of work developing new swords and getting the current product out and updating the web page can get lost as a low(er ) priority.

I could add a few things like announced articles that haven't been posted yet ? But I guess I would rather that Peter use his time on those new swords than writing an article on heat treating or something. Wink Cool

Just take this as constructive criticism and not as a complaint and as a friendly F.Y.I. thing. Cool


Thanks, Jean!

The Albion site has over 500 individual pages - and frankly, I have a hard time keeping up with it. Feel free to let me know about anything that needs to be updated, any time!

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jean Thibodeau




PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Thanks, Jean!

The Albion site has over 500 individual pages - and frankly, I have a hard time keeping up with it. Feel free to let me know about anything that needs to be updated, any time!

Best,

Howy


Well, these are about the only major lapses in updating or even just deleting obsolete information. I will let you know if I run across anything else of importance but I won't or wouldn't nitpick every little thing and bother you with trifles.

And I appreciate your taking my comments as something meant to be positive. Big Grin

Oh, to not forget the reason for this Topic: Well you produced the best possible filmsword versions of Conan swords and I guess that those who have them will see the collectors value rise eventually, although for a real sword lover the monetary value is secondary at least until they decide to sell something. Wink

Any statistics you feel free to give about the total numbers of Conan swords produced when the production will be finished, Just curiosity ? ( Ballpark figure is sufficient )

The Conan swords out there are a continuing valuable legacy that should be around for a long time i.e. 24th century collectors will be happy to have one. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message
George Mcnulty




Location: ireland
Joined: 08 Apr 2006

Posts: 6

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: sword of Atlantis         Reply with quote

Hi sorry to hear about the Conan swords finishing but wasn’t there a sword of Atlantis that was in the works at Albion? Im sure I read about it in the Albion warrior magazine, one designed by Mr Samson? (If so could we see a pic please?)

Im sure a lot of people would be very interested in one of those! I would! Hopefully theres no licencising legal stuff getting in the way and adding thousands of dollars to the price too!

also I was wondering if you might replace them or add the beastmaster 3 sword with the cool lion pommel and eagle hilt etc, I seen it in the video and it was a very nice sword but there might be that damned legal stuff again!

Thanks for all the good work you’ve done and for all you will do!


George

george mcnulty
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional



Location: Wisconsin, USA
Joined: 18 Aug 2003

Posts: 716

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: sword of Atlantis         Reply with quote

George Mcnulty wrote:
Hi sorry to hear about the Conan swords finishing but wasn’t there a sword of Atlantis that was in the works at Albion? Im sure I read about it in the Albion warrior magazine, one designed by Mr Samson? (If so could we see a pic please?)

Im sure a lot of people would be very interested in one of those! I would! Hopefully theres no licencising legal stuff getting in the way and adding thousands of dollars to the price too!

also I was wondering if you might replace them or add the beastmaster 3 sword with the cool lion pommel and eagle hilt etc, I seen it in the video and it was a very nice sword but there might be that damned legal stuff again!

Thanks for all the good work you’ve done and for all you will do!


George


Thanks, George!

We did have a limited edition sword of Atlantis a few years ago - they sold out pretty quickly.

Jody is working on something new, working title "Performance Barbarian" sword that will have the same basic elements but be lighter and more cutting oriented.

Jody still has the molds for Beastmaster 3, but we have never been able to get the rights to make it.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional



Location: Wisconsin, USA
Joined: 18 Aug 2003

Posts: 716

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Well, these are about the only major lapses in updating or even just deleting obsolete information. I will let you know if I run across anything else of importance but I won't or wouldn't nitpick every little thing and bother you with trifles.

And I appreciate your taking my comments as something meant to be positive. Big Grin

Oh, to not forget the reason for this Topic: Well you produced the best possible filmsword versions of Conan swords and I guess that those who have them will see the collectors value rise eventually, although for a real sword lover the monetary value is secondary at least until they decide to sell something. Wink

Any statistics you feel free to give about the total numbers of Conan swords produced when the production will be finished, Just curiosity ? ( Ballpark figure is sufficient )

The Conan swords out there are a continuing valuable legacy that should be around for a long time i.e. 24th century collectors will be happy to have one. Cool


Hey Jean!

We are going to continue making the Conan swords until the contract runs out, so it is difficult to say. I'll check with Mike and see if I can get current numbers on each edition, and maybe post final numbers on the FS site for collectors when the last sword is done. Obviously, we won't hit the orignal 1,000 mark for each, but I know the "Barbarian" Atlantean is the closest at this point.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bob Hir





Joined: 01 Oct 2006

Posts: 3

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As proud owner of Atlantean #95, it's sorta sad that after October all people will be able to get will the terrible wallhanger versions of Conan swords. It seems like yesterday that I first found the Albion site (after waiting almost 20 years), offering the "Sword of Crom" and "Sword of Atlantis". I'd been searching for the words "Jody & Sampson" on the internet since it's inception. Anyone whom wanted one but never got around to getting one really don't know what your missing.

Given that, Howy, please don't let the Filmswords concept as a whole go by the way-side. I realize that the bread and butter of Albion is the the period pieces, but in my opinion Filmswords is the "Corvette" of the Albion lineup. They don't sell as many Corvettes every year as they sell 4-doors and SUV's certainly, but Chevy wouldn't be Chevy without the vette.

I'd love to see perhaps some expansion into the "performance barbarian" type items you mentioned above, Jody's site seems to be more cutlass and other single edged items than what I'd term the kinds of double edge stuff that I grew up on in Conan Comics and the book covers. (Kick myself to this day for not picking up a "Sword of Crom".)

I've been pestering Mike since 2003 for an ETA on the Frazetta Barbarian, ever since the picture of the waxes appeared in the news section. The second it's available, I'm on the phone for one. (I hope Frank lasts long enough to see it made). I recently added a Sampson custom (Icebrand) to my collection just because it was close to a conan-ish sword.

BTW, I met you at the last Swordfest weekend, you took the time out of the session, when you were meet-and-greeting everyone, to ask me what I was into, and we chatted about the Conan stuff, Frazetta covers, etc. You even took the time to give me a tour of Jody's workshop, and even introduced me to him. Peter's presentation was awesome, I learned alot, but the tour was the highlight of my day that day.

Thanks for everything you and all the guys went through in bringing REAL Conan swords to us collectors, looking forward to your future fantasy stuff.
View user's profile Send private message
Alex Oster




Location: Washington and Yokohama
Joined: 01 Mar 2004

Posts: 410

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As I mentioned before, I would also hate to see the whole section of Albion drop off. I still have two film swords on my list of must haves, of course they keep going up each year, and making it even harder to justify, but the fact that they are there keeps me working hard.
The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
David Stokes





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Posts: 250

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sad news, also considering that the Highlanders went away earlier this year as well...
View user's profile Send private message
Bob Burns




Location: South Indianapolis IN
Joined: 09 Sep 2005
Likes: 1 page
Reading list: 112 books

Posts: 1,019

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW! Howie that is really Awesome about "Arnold" (I relate to Arnold back in his "Pumping Iron" days, all the maniacal pumping iron I did years ago is in part what ruined my back because I did not use common sense) having your sword in his conference rom and therefore the sword gets TV exposure!

Bob

Too bad there's not a sign with it that says "Made by Albion Swords of New Glarus WI." Big Grin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Fred D





Joined: 25 Oct 2007

Posts: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hello
sorry to hear the end of the project. I presonally own Atlantean 177, And just ordered a Father's to keep company to my atlantean, so the dream wil be complete.
Thanks again to Albion, Crom does exist !
Does anybody has a picture of Arnold's conference room depicting the sword ?
I'd like to see that.
regards
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The End of the Conan Project
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum