Posted: Fri 19 May, 2017 9:50 pm Post subject: Customized sallet by Sean Flynt
This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available
Up for sale is this fabulous customized sallet by Sean Flynt.
I’d love to keep it, but am needing to raise funds for other projects.
Here’s Sean’s original description:
Here's my heavily modified GDFB visored sallet for sale or trade. If you're at all familiar with the GDFB sallet, you know that they tend to be too large and too heavy. In form, it's Italian export of ca. 1450. In size, it seems more like the large German sallets of a few decades later. With that in mind, here's what I did to this piece:
• Removed the original liner and straps
• Removed the visor pivots
• Reshaped visor to reflect a German/Austrian influence of ca. 1480
• Drilled the bowl for lining rivets and straps
• Made and installed a lining band
• Hand-stitched a linen liner
• Created new straps and mounted the original buckle with a proper buckle plate
• Created and installed a spring lock mechanism
• Created and installed new floral visor pivots in the German style (tension adjusted via internal nut)
• Gave the entire piece a satin finish
You can see the final results here. The visor tension is adjusted to keep the visor up, which requires you press the visor back to engage the spring pin when you want to lock down the visor.
This makes a fantastic display but it's also wearable. Still big, but not quite as heavy as it was. It's now at the top of the historical range, as far as I can tell.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum