Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Donation Drive to pay the annual server cost Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jul, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Donation Drive to pay the annual server cost         Reply with quote

It's that time of year again. I just had to pay the annual server bill. It's not cheap and I need your help.

Please Give to our Annual Server Hosting Donation Drive.

The donation info is at the bottom of forum home page or you can click the button below:

Many members may have noticed that I've been putting extra time into the site to create new features such as the Marketplace Feedback Forum, Photobucket image hosting fix, and overall site-wide performance improvements. I've also continued to keep our Facebook community active, creating new content and sharing new things almost every day. The reason I've been able to do this is that I'm not working that much these days.

The downside to that means I really don't have a lot of cash coming in and just can't keep this site going out of my own pocket. myArmoury.com is going to be 14 years old on August 25th. This is the first year where I've seriously considered closing shop. It takes a lot out of me and my resources are drained.

I don't know what the long-term future holds for us, but I do know this: I've already paid the bill and we are good until next July. However, it was out of my pocket and I sure could use some relief from those members who can afford to help out. This will allow me to pay for, you know... stuff like rent and groceries and other necessities of life.

Thanks for reading.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jul, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was procrastinating starting the Fund Drive for around mid August, but Nathan got to it first.

He is usually reluctant to start these himself so I think that he really is more stressed for cash than in previous years.

I just made a donation a bit earlier than I was budgeting for, but it's not a strain for me.

It would be a shame if this great resource and site faded away due to lack of financial support, and we get a lot of value each years from this site in information and camaraderie.

A $5 0r $10 dollar donation shouldn't be too much to give once a year to keep the site alive and not have Nathan support it all from his own pocket.

( I'm not sure if $1 donations work with Paypal as they do with people who use Patrion to support their favorite Youtube channels, but it could mean that many more people could easily send $1 in addition to those who can afford $5 $10 or larger donations )

Also another way to support the site is by enhancing one's membership and paying a small annual fee, this also means a more predictable source of funds in addition to a yearly donation.

As with previous years donation drive I suggest that people post comments to keep this " TOPIC " at the top of the list of new posts so that people see it and donate should they wish to.

Also, writing what you get from the site and why you visit and post here, what you learn and enjoy can be interesting to read and motivational to encourage people to support the site this year.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have made my donation.

Please give. Anything you can contribute will help. It saddens me to hear Nathan feels like he isn't sure if he wants to keep going without adequate support.

I'd especially like to reach out to those who haven't given before. There are some people who donate to muArmoury year after year; I laud you for your commitment and reliability in supporting Nathan and this site. For those who have not donated before, I hope you will take the time to see and appreciate what Nathan and this site have brought to you. The sad reality is that because Nathan and the other members of staff on myArmoury have contributed so much for free it's easy just to take it for granted, "Of course it's here!" But it takes time, effort, and money. Think of everything this site offers you: opportunities to learn of new makers and their work, discussion forums wbere you can ask about anything to do with arms and armour, tons of articles, the library, and more.When you realize you have gotten value from this resource, do what is right and give back.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Please give. Anything you can contribute will help. It saddens me to hear Nathan feels like he isn't sure if he wants to keep going without adequate support.

Sorry about this... it's super embarrassing. I've had a rough couple years here and a lot of life's priorities and all that have had me thinking.... I don't know, man. Posting this topic was hard for me.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Done - thanks for keeping this site going. Will donate more later.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:

Sorry about this... it's super embarrassing. I've had a rough couple years here and a lot of life's priorities and all that have had me thinking.... I don't know, man. Posting this topic was hard for me.

Nathan, you really shouldn't be embarrassed asking for support for the site as you have been doing mostly all of the heavy lifting in creating and maintaining the site. ( People should feel embarrassed that you feel embarrassed for asking for minimal financial support WTF?! ).

Just a question about Paypal: Are $1 donations useful or would such small donations get erased by a paypal minimal transaction charge at your end ? What is the minimal amount that people can send you that you would end up getting most of it ?

In previous years the emphasis was on getting $5 to $10 minimum donations, and many of the same people each year contribute much more than this between $20 to $200, but if a lot of people who never donated before donated each $1 a couple of thousand people would easily cover most of the amount needed to be raised.

So without losing the more generous contributors it would be nice financially and motivationally to have a few thousand people supporting the site rather than a couple of hundred giving larger donations.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Just a question about Paypal: Are $1 donations useful or would such small donations get erased by a paypal minimal transaction charge at your end ? What is the minimal amount that people can send you that you would end up getting most of it ?

Well, PayPal takes out the same percentage to strictly speaking, the return is about the same on any amount over a few dollars. Each transaction has a percentage taken out and a flat fee of 30 cents.

Having said that, $10 has generally been the amount that I've set for contests that were attached to the donation drive and stuff. We don't have a lot of donors, so $1 donations really don't do much to knock down that big bill I've paid. The thought is nice, though!

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd just like to acknowledge the following people thus far for their donations:

Steve Maly
Stefan Gruenewald
Marcus Kwa
Aaron Hoard
Joshua Waters
Daniel Sullivan
Lee O'Hagan
Antal László
Anonymous
Jean Thibodeau
Tim Lison
Radovan Geist
Wade McManus
Jim Lukow
Anonymous
Daniel Sullivan

Keep them coming!
Ryan McLaurin

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Though I rarely post, I enjoy this site greatly and access it at least three times a week. I have learned much from it over the last decade. Donation made.
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is there a way to send it via Paypal "friends and family" feature so that you do not get charged the fee.
"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil D. wrote:
Is there a way to send it via Paypal "friends and family" feature so that you do not get charged the fee.

I can't do that legally. I'd be violating my agreement with Paypal. I also need to pay taxes on these donations.

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I donated. So should you all.
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just donated. First time doing so, though I should have done so long before. I've used this website for sooo much research and information and questions--it's become very valuable to me, and I've met some very cool people on here. I'm glad I gave back in a small way to something that has become a tremendous resource for me.
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody who donated so far, and even more for those doing it for the first time, although I hope that those who have donated in the past do so again. Wink

Seems like where are just short of half ways to the objective.

It seems that any amount can be sent using Paypal, even small amounts: So sending a few dollars by just skipping one coffee shop latte shouldn't be a hardship for anyone wanting to help pay for the running ( Survival ) of the site.

As I mentioned in previous years, people using the MARKETPLACE FORUM to buy or sell their collectables should consider how useful having this site is to them in finding a buyer or finding something to buy.

There are also the Industry Professionals who get exposure to people interested in what they make and who also can show their work to a knowledgeable audience for feedback and often possible future buyers of their work.

Also, we don't want Nathan to afford to just eat Kraft Dinner Mac and Cheese all year.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you're looking for additional ways to support Nathan and the site throughout the year, consider using the myArmoury affiliate link to Amazon whenever you shop there. You can get there by going to the Bookstore and clicking the embedded Amazon.com link or any link to a book in the bookstore. You can also copy that link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=myarmourycom-20&creative=331813&camp=15329&link_code=ur1&path=tg/browse/-/283155) and make it your official Amazon link in your favorites. By doing this a small portion of your purchase gets credited to Nathan and the site.

If you simply saved that link as your link for Amazon in your browser's favorites, then every purchase you make when you use that link could help Nathan. I bought a TV a month or so ago off Amazon and made sure to use that link. I was buying the TV anyway and knew it would help Nathan out. If you shop at Amazon anyway, using the link is an easy way to get what you would buy already while helping Nathan out. Best part: it costs you nothing! Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:

Nathan, I understand completely. I went from low-paying job to low-paying job while juggling college (I was just out of high school when you all first welcomed me aboard back in 2006), and after a lot of set backs and holdups I finally landed a good paying job - just in time to pay for school out of pocket. Which I just finished...right in time to become a father - health insurance is a killer for a family!

How much does a year's worth of server support cost? Maybe come tax time I can gauge a contribution against that. What about a Patreon? That's gotten very popular lately, even if I loathed the way they handled their data breach.

Roger Hooper wrote:
I donated. So should you all.

I'm in paycheck to paycheck mode right now but I might be able to throw some dollars this way.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone's concern and suggestions and whatnot. Please have faith that I am an intelligent guy who has done my homework for the best solution for my needs. The myArmoury.com donation drive is sitting on technology that I made. I do not have to pay for said technology because I created it. I chose PayPal as my payment provider because the percentage they take is less than other options such as GoFundMe, Fundly, Patreon, etc. Suggesting I go another route derails my efforts and distracts from this donation drive.

I'm looking for assistance to pay for the cost of running this place. I've set a goal that will pay for the payment I just had to make. It's not a random amount. It's the actual yearly cost that comes out of my pocket for the hosting bill.

Please Give to our Annual Server Hosting Donation Drive.

The donation info is at the bottom of forum home page or you can click the button below:

Carl W.

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan - Thank you VERY much for this site.

I can never remember how Paypal works as hardly ever use it, basically only for myArm donations. I'll dig up notes or figure it out again, just takes me some days to get to it after you remind us its needed. Only mentioning to help you relax a tiny bit - delays don't always mean lack of interest. Thanks again!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl W. wrote:
Nathan - Thank you VERY much for this site.

I can never remember how Paypal works as hardly ever use it, basically only for myArm donations. I'll dig up notes or figure it out again, just takes me some days to get to it after you remind us its needed. Only mentioning to help you relax a tiny bit - delays don't always mean lack of interest. Thanks again!

Cool, man. There's nothing really to figure out. You just have to have a debit or credit card handy -or- a PayPal account to log into.

Just click the button below and follow the prompts:

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Last night I did a " DOUBLE TAKE " seeing that the objective had already been reached. Surprised but Cool

I can't help guessing that someone(s) gave a huge amount covering at least half of the objective amount ....... WOW Cool

Well if my guess above is accurate, many thanks to a generous supporter of the site.

As I'm mentioned in all previous year donation drives any extra money raised is a cushion against unexpected expenses during the year and gives Nathan some extra funds to do more things for the site.

Also considering all the time and unpaid work involved in running the site any extra money received is well deserved.

I also consider that more people making a contribution is more people showing their support and thanks for Nathan running this site: I personally donate because I get a lot from this site and I want to support it, I also see it as a way of showing my appreciation to Nathan.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Donation Drive to pay the annual server cost
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: