Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale or Trade: Pavel Moc custom Viking Sword (sharp)SOLD Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jouni V.

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: For Sale or Trade: Pavel Moc custom Viking Sword (sharp)         Reply with quote

This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

This is a custom piece by Pavel Moc, originally made several years ago to order for me. It is a ”short sword” in a Viking style. Steel is carbon steel, though back in the day Pavel said that the pommel and guard are made of 200-300 year old ”shear steel”.

Stats are:
Material: Carbon steel.
Total length: 79 cm.
Blade length: 64 cm.
Blade width at base: 5 cm.
Grip length: 9,5 cm (though the pommel and guards flare out a bit, providing a bit more room).
Weight: 0.98 kg.
Balance point: 8-10 cm from guard.
Pommel: peened, (apparently) two-piece.
Sharpness: sharp enough for cutting, but I wouldn't want to try to shave with it.
Asking price: 320 EURO

The original grip leather has been replaced for aesthetic reasons. There's a slight groove in one part of the guard which was there originally (Pavel said it was because of the material used). The sword handles very well, but then again, it is short and light, so that's to be expected. Robust construction, blade doesn't wobble/bend at all of it's own weight if waved sideways or back and forth. The sword has been used for cutting practice a couple of times, but is still good as new.

I was never really 100% satisfied with this piece aesthetically, so I'm prepared to let it go now for someone who would perhaps like it more. Asking price is 320 euros + postage costs (I originally paid 350 + postage, but that was years ago). Payment by bank transfer or Paypal. I haven't used Paypal in years, though, so it might take a bit of time for me to sort it out, but it should be workable.

Trades are accepted for other weaponry (one or more) of similar combined value, IF they are of interest to me. If you want to offer something for trade, PM me. I won't rule out anything other than armour and modern weaponry, or renaissance&later military swords, but I will decide for myself if I'm interested in what you have to offer.

NOTE I: Due to past bad experiences with, and the subsequent profound distrust towards, my country's customs officials, I dare only accept trades for other weaponry from within other EU countries. Regular purchases are OK from anywhere.

NOTE II: Postage costs from my location (Finland) may be prohibitive, especially overseas. If you are seriously considering purchase, PM me and I will investigate the delivery costs to Your specific location for You.

(I can attempt to acquire another camera and try to get better pictures if there is interest in this piece.)
Jouni V.

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: picture         Reply with quote

Here's the picture... hopefully.

Attachment: 262.45 KB
[ Download ]
Jouni V.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: bumping with new, lower price and new pictures         Reply with quote

New price: 290 EURO + delivery & transaction costs

(...and yes, Paypal is now definitely a payment option.)

Attachment: 177.09 KB
[ Download ]
Jouni V.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: For Sale: Pavel Moc Viking Sword         Reply with quote

This is a custom piece by Pavel Moc, originally made several years ago to order for me. It is a ”short sword” in a Viking style. Steel is carbon steel, though back in the day Pavel said that the pommel and guard are made of 200-300 year old ”shear steel”.

Stats are:
Material: Carbon steel.
Total length: 79 cm.
Blade length: 64 cm.
Blade width at base: 5 cm.
Grip length: 9,5 cm (though the pommel and guards flare out a bit, providing a bit more room).
Weight: 0.98 kg.
Balance point: 8-10 cm from guard.
Pommel: peened, (apparently) two-piece.
Sharpness: sharp enough for cutting, but I wouldn't want to try to shave with it.
Asking price: 290 EURO

The original grip leather has been replaced for aesthetic reasons. There's a slight groove in one part of the guard which was there originally (Pavel said it was because of the material used). The sword handles very well, but then again, it is short and light, so that's to be expected. Robust construction, blade doesn't wobble/bend at all of it's own weight if waved sideways or back and forth. The sword has been used for cutting practice a couple of times, but is still good as new.

I was never really 100% satisfied with this piece aesthetically, so I'm prepared to let it go now for someone who would perhaps like it more. Asking price is 290 euros + postage costs (I originally paid 350 + postage, but that was years ago). Payment by bank transfer or Paypal.

NOTE: Postage costs from my location (Finland) may be prohibitive to destinations outside the EU, especially overseas. If you are seriously considering purchase, PM me and I will do my best to investigate the delivery costs to Your specific location for You.

Attachment: 374.6 KB
for sale [ Download ]
Jouni V.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The last time I put this piece on sale here, I received a few questions about it. So here's a bit of a Q&A based on that:

>1.Because the description doesn't clear much, I want to ask if the sword is forged or machine-cut?

I would suspect that the blade is machined, since that is the way that Pavel Moc does most of his blades, at least these days. However, since I no longer have the original e-mails I exchanged with Pavel (it was several years ago) I can't be 100% sure. I know Pavel does some custom pieces hand-forged, but whether this sword was one of those, I honestly don't remember. Judging by the blade's appearance, I would say that it has been machine-cut.

>2.Also, did it came blunt or sharpened when you first got it from Mr. Moc? I mean - who sharpened the blade and how? You said it is not very sharp right now...

It was SUPPOSED to come sharp to me originally, and the blade shape was "sharp", but it lacked a cutting edge. The edge was approximately 0,5 mm thick, and I could run my hand along it without getting cut. Since I wanted to use this sword for practice cutting, I sharpened the "edge of the edge" just enough that it would "bite". I did the sharpening with a fine file and a diamond sharpening stone. Sharp enough for cutting water bottles etc.

>3.Do you remember if the steel is 14260 or something else?

It's most likely 14260 since Pavel mentioned that the guard and pommel are shear steel, which would correspond with what he uses for his historical/custom swords according to his website.

>4.From your pictures the sword looks abused (scratched)- maybe it is for the bad pictures quality.

In the pictures the sword has a layer of oil on it, which creates a lot of "irregularities" in the reflections on the blade... the blade does have some very minor scratches, the kind that really any cutting exercise (like cutting through a cardboard milk jug) will leave, which can be relatively easily remedied with fine sand paper.

[NOTE/EDIT: Yes, it was indeed mainly the bad picture quality the last time I put this sword on sale here which made it look scratched - I have better quality pictures now.]

Also, the blade never had a "mirror polish" to begin with, and there are light straight lines running along the length of it, which were there originally, made either by polishing or a machining process... You probably know what machined blades usually look like.

The only major scratch is on the cross guard, and that, as I mentioned before, was there originally. I must admit that I wasn't too happy about it when I received the sword, but then again, I didn't want to bother with any returns or re-works since I had waited for the sword for over a year anyway by that time...

>5. I don't see any scabbard in your pictures - does the sword have a scabbard and eventually a sword belt?

No. There was never a scabbard for this sword. However, I made an "ad hoc" scabbard for it from cardboard and duct tape (as absurd as that sounds) just to have something to carry it in... works pretty well but it's just something to protect the sword on the road, of course not by any means a "real" scabbard.

Finally, once I find a good file sharing cloud server or similar, I will include a link to a .rar file that contains more pictures and a video clip of the sword.
Jouni V.

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: PLEASE NOTE         Reply with quote

For some reason, the forum added my new "For Sale" messages, which I intended to post as a new topic, as replies to this older For Sale -topic (even though this was marked as "removed").

I have contacted moderators to have this issue resolved. In the meanwhile, if you're reading this, please disregard the older, first 3 messages in this "For Sale" topic. They are no longer valid.

Sorry for the confusion.
Jouni V.

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: more pictures....         Reply with quote

Additional pictures and a video are now available as a .rar file in the following link:

http://www.filedropper.com/sword

To be honest, I was a bit suspicious about this file sharing site.... but since this .rar archive contains no sensitive information, I thought "what the hey, let's give it a shot". Seems to be working, at least for me. The link should be valid for at least 30 days.

If anyone has ANY problems with downloading the file or has other issues related, please PM me. I want to be aware if I have posted something non-functional or undesirable.

Thanks.

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale or Trade: Pavel Moc custom Viking Sword (sharp)SOLD
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic