Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Howard Clark WakizashiSOLD Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Derek Estabrook

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 01 Jul, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: For Sale: Howard Clark Wakizashi         Reply with quote

This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

Several years ago I purchased a wakizashi of 1086 steel from Howard Clark during a period where I was predominantly interested in Japanese history. It is an excellent blade and is in the same immaculate condition as when I received it.

It is unmounted and in the basic binsui polish. The blade is 18 inches long with a copper habaki and the tang measures four inches not counting habaki length.

The blade does have a story attached to it as told to me by Christine, Howard's wife. She told me that when Howard finished the blade he came running in from the forge proud of his work bragging of its sheen and the brilliance it will have when it is fully polished. Now I'm the type of person who typically takes people at their word unless they prove themselves untrustworthy, but the thought did occur to me that it might be a bit of spin to justify the increase in price since I paid a little more than they charge for most of their similar 1086 wakizashis. However, upon receiving the blade and holding it up to the light one time while photographing it, I saw the effect that Howard meant. I think I finally understand the brilliant effect Charlemagne's sword Joyeus was said to possess in that it shimmered with an amazing sheen I cannnot really describe. Until then I always pictured it more like a rainbow effect, but it is different and beautiful. Unfortunately, it is not something that can be captured by photograph (if it could I would definately want a copy to keep for myself) as it comes out just a uniform bright shine that obscures the blade.

Yes, there is a bit of marketing done by telling this, however I have understated this blade before and it deserves to be honored properly letting truth speak for itself. My interests have changed since then and it will likely forever be a closet piece. I would like to see someone get this blade who will properly mount the blade and give it the treatment such a blade deserves.

I am asking $1200 USD for the blade plus shipping costs. Continental US preffered, however I will consider international offers. I am not interested in trades at this time. Feel free to contact me with offers, questions, or concerns by PM or e-mail at ironhandofalmuric@yahoo.com

Note: The pics are old and I will attempt better pics this weekend.

Attachment: 2.27 KB
MVC-735F.JPG

Attachment: 2.21 KB
MVC-736F.JPG

Attachment: 2.21 KB
MVC-736F.JPG

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Howard Clark WakizashiSOLD
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic