Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Gambeson from Herugrim, inc.SOLD Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: For Sale: Gambeson from Herugrim, inc.         Reply with quote

This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

Custom Gambeson by John Heinze of Herugrim, Inc. I commissioned the gambeson in 2004. It is natural linen shell stuffed with wool and stitched with hemp cord. These are historically accurate materials and design as far as John and I could tell. I have worn the gambeson only 3-4 times for no more than few minutes each time. I have never sparred, or used this gambeson extensively. Swinging a sword while wearing this gambeson is remarkably easy. There is good freedom of motion and it seems to be protective, although I never tested that aspect of it.

I am 6 feet tall for reference. The sleeves are 25in long and it should fit a chest up to 42-43inches quite comfortably. The gambeson is a snug fit especially the sleeves, which is a great bonus if you want to wear mail on top of it.

I bought the gambeson for $390 + S&H. Firm asking price is $250 shipped within the US. Payment options: Personal check or Money Order. If personal check is used I will ship after the check clears in my bank.

Thanks,

Alexi

Attachment: 85.95 KB
DSCF4090.JPG
Gambeson front

Attachment: 86.86 KB
DSCF4092.JPG
Gambeson back
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Few more details that I should have mentioned in my earlier post:

This gambeson was meant to be representative of early-mid 14th century defense. It could be used as a a stand alone defense or underneath maille. It is too thick to be worn under full plate, though it may be all right for a transitional harness.

All also knock few bucks off the asking price.

New price $230 (S&H included).

Alexi
Sean Smith

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

May know someone interested. Will pass along to them. Any idea of overall thickness of the stuffing? Measurements along the shoulder seam and how far down the tie closure goes would also be helpful.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Smith wrote:
May know someone interested. Will pass along to them. Any idea of overall thickness of the stuffing? Measurements along the shoulder seam and how far down the tie closure goes would also be helpful.

Hi Sean,

The shoulder width (from the seams where the sleaves go) seam to seam is 20 inches. My shoulder width is about 19.5 and I fit comfortably.

The closure goes down about 20.5 inches from the top, with about 10 inches unclosed at the bottom. One can add more eyes to extend the closure if necessary. John showed me an authentic 14th c. stich for the eyes but I cannot find the reference right now. It is from an english garment.

The thickness of a single layer is about 1inch when no pressure is applied to the fabric. So you are looking at 1 inch added in each direction around the body. Of course wool is easily compressible and one is quite mobile in it.

Best,

Alexi
Corey D. Sullivan

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, that's awfully tempting, since I'm in the process of assembling kit for a portrayal of a mid-14th century English infantryman, but I'm afraid that it might not fit me.

I'm 5'9, 150 lbs, with a 34" chest. Do you think it would be a little large on me?

"He had scantly finyshed his saienge but the one armye espyed the other lord how hastely the souldioures buckled their healmes how quikly the archers bent ther bowes and frushed their feathers how redely the byllmen shoke their bylles and proved their staves redy to appioche and loyne when the terrible trotnpet should sound the blast to victorie or deathe."
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Corey D. Sullivan wrote:
Wow, that's awfully tempting, since I'm in the process of assembling kit for a portrayal of a mid-14th century English infantryman, but I'm afraid that it might not fit me.

I'm 5'9, 150 lbs, with a 34" chest. Do you think it would be a little large on me?

Hi Corey, it may be a bit on the large side in the chest but probably not by much, if at all. When I fully inhale and try to make my chest as big as i can it is about 42 inches. So normally I am in the mid 30ies chest circumference. If your shoulder width is about 20in, it should fit you well. and because it is not buttons but a cord closing, you can tighten it more if you so desire.

Alexi

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Gambeson from Herugrim, inc.SOLD
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic