Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Bunch 'o Books List 1Removed Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David A. Counts

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: For Sale: Bunch 'o Books List 1         Reply with quote

This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

I’m clearing of the next-to-last (long) bookshelf. Prices include shipping/packing/postage in the lower 48. This is a lot to type, so descriptions are brief. If you are not familiar with a given title, let me know and I’ll type a little more in reply.

Most of these are less rare/expensive than my earlier posts, so maybe some of these will find a home under your Christmas tree.

- David

WOODEN MONUMENTAL EFFIGIES IN ENGLAND AND WALES by Alfred C. Fryer. Hb. 1924.112 pg. ~64 b/w photos. I’m told this is pretty rare. - $80

CATALOGO DE LA REAL ARMERIA DE MADRID - El Donde Vth de Valencia de Don Juan. 1898. Hb … I think this is rebound … but if so, it is a very good job. ~444 pg. ~25 b/w plates over 300 b/w photo/figures - $520

DICTIONNAIRE RAISONNE DE MOBLIER FRANCAIS (A dictionary of French material culture from Carolingian times through the Reniassaiance). By E Viollet-le-Duc. 6 volumes. N.d. (late 19thC?) Hb. Re-bound Ex library (Pratt Institue) Each volume ~400 pgs. Numerous line drawings and a few color plates. I believe some of these volumes have been reprinted, so there are less expensive alternatives to this offering … but I empathize with old books. $ 490 for all 6 volumes

MEDIEVAL WARFARE … A HISTORY. Maurice Keen (editor) 1999 HB anthology. 340 pgs. B/w photo illustrations. - $22

CHRONICLES OF ENGLAND FRANCE SPAIN AND THE ADJOINING COUNTRIES by Sir John Froissart (in English … not abridged … the full text from the French edition) 1874. NEEDS to be re-bound. 2 volumes. Over 1,500 pgs. - $90

ZEITSCHRIFT FUR HISTORISCHE WAFFEN-UND KOSTUMKUNDE Heft 5/6. 1944 (I’m amazed that German scholars in the midst of world war were able to get this published.) …pb. ~60 pgs the only copy of this journal I have ever owned. Text in German. Some b/w photos. Most of this issue is devoted to a great article on the reconstruction of the armour from the Valsgarde finds … it is pretty obvious that others have drawn on this seminal work.. This issue is also the only source that I know of for a photograph of the 13th Century Great Helm that had been in the Zeughaus, Berlin, but was “lost” at the end of WWII … See Vol I of Nicolle’s Arms & Armour of Crusading Era Item 451 described on pg. 178.
Anyway, I am asking $50

Speaking of Dr. Nicolle’s work …

ARMS AND ARMOUR OF THE CRUSADING ERA 1050-1350. 2 volumes. 1999. HB. Each volume has line drawings and brief descriptions of almost every imaginable artifact (weapon, armour, manuscript illustration, sculpture, painting, etc.) relating to the arms and armour of both Western Europe, the Crusading States, Eastern Europe, Islam, and Central Asia. A tremendous resource. $ 70 for the set.

MONUMENTAL EFFIGIES OF GREAT BRITAIN by Stothard. 1876. Needs to be re-bound. About 199 pgs. Oversized book with engravings of civilian and military effigies. I got this b/c I kept seeing effigies reproduced in modern works with the note ("after Stothard"). Well here he is. One thing I have not researched are the evidence we have for how these effigies were painted and notes on surviving colors. I have not delved into the Stothard text, but I noticed that some of the engravings have notes on such painting. This is a really rare book (and the one greed pushes me to keep) ... $700

THE ARMOURER AND HIS CRAFT … Charles Ffoulkes HB. 1967. Originally, this work was printed in 1912, so some of the material is dated. It is still a good resource (esp. the quotes from source material.) ~190 pg.s ~60 line drawings ~29 b/w plates (some with multiple photos). This is an oversized edition (8 ½ x 12) – the only copy I have seen … $50

LE ARMATURE DELLE GRAZIE TRA STORIA E LEGGENDA by Vannozzo Posio. 1991 pb ~85pgs Text in ITALIAN. 16 color plates, some b/w photos Focus on 15th and early 16th C. Italian armours … $45

THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL JOURNAL. Vol II. 1846 Hb ~420 pgs.some b/w line drawings. I bought this specifically for the article on “The Will of Humphrey de Bohun … c.1320” b/c it is a source document concerning the arms of an early 14th C. knight … $15

ARMS AND ARMOUR …. “by” Charles Boutell (the same “heraldry” Boutell) … I put the “by” in quotes, b/c most of the text was actually written by M. P. LaCombe and translated into English by Boutell. 1902. HB.~280 pgs. Mostly line drawings./ some b/w photos … $25

GLADIUS VOL.9 … 1970 …pb journal ~80 pgs. Articles in different languages … includes Kirpicnikov’s “Die Feldschlacht in Altrussland (IX-XII Jh) in German … some b/w photos, some line drawings … $22

GLADIUS VOL.8 … 1969 pb journal ~110 pgs. Articles in different languages … includes Fino’s “L’Art Militaire en France au XIIIc Siecle” in French… some b/w photos, some line drawings … $22

GLADIUS VOL.6 … 1967 pb journal ~100 pgs. Articles in different languages … includes Fino’s “Quelques Aspects de L’Art Militaire Sous Philippe Auguste” in French … some b/w photos, some line drawings … $22

GLADIUS VOL.2 … 1963 pb journal ~75 pgs. Articles in different languages… includes Hoffmeyer’s “From Mediaeval Sword to Renaissance Rapier” in English … some b/w photos, some line drawings … $22

THE ANTIQUARIES JOURNAL VOL 40. No.1,2 Jan-Apr. 1960. Includes Reid and Burgess “A Haubergeon of Westwale” … detailed analysis of the construction of this shirt of mail. … $30

THE ANTIQUARIES JOURNAL VOL 38.. No.3,4 Jul-Oct. 1958 Includes Burgess’“A Mail Shirt from the Hearst Collection” … detailed analysis of the construction of this shirt of mail. … $30

THE ANTIQUARIES JOURNAL VOL 37.. No.3,4 Jul-Oct. 1957 Includes Burgess’“A Mail Shirt from Sinigaglia” … detailed analysis of the construction of this shirt of mail. … $30

THE ANTIQUARIES JOURNAL VOL 33.. No.3,4 Jul-Oct. 1953 Includes Burgess’“Further Research into the Construction of Mail Garments” … detailed analysis of the construction of mail garments. … $30

THE ANTIQUARIES JOURNAL VOL 30.. No.3,4 Jul-Oct. 1950 Includes Maryon’s “A Sword of the Viking Period from the River Witham” … $22

THE HALBERD AND OTHER EUROPEAN POLEARMS 1300-1650. by George Snook. Historical Arms Series #38. pb. 1998. 32 pgs. Numerous line drawings and b/w photos. … $22

NEUROSURGERY offprint of “Head Protection in England before the First World War” 2000. pb. 25pg well illustrated, lots of technical armour/weapon effectiveness interpretation by Dr. Alan Williams … $22

David A. Counts
Birmingham, AL
Sean Smith

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am highly interested in Nicolle's "Arms and Armour of the Crusading Era". How would you like payment arranged? Thanks.
David A. Counts

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: FYI: The NIcolle set of Books (Crusader Era) is PENDING         Reply with quote

Nicolle's set is PENDING

David A. Counts
Birmingham, AL
David A. Counts

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Snook's Halberd & Polearms is PENDING         Reply with quote

Snook's Halberd & Polearms is PENDING

David A. Counts
Birmingham, AL

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Bunch 'o Books List 1Removed
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic