Wanted: Fullering Information
I am looking for any contact information on some one in the US or Canada that can add fullers to an existing sword blade. Any info would be appreciated.
Re: Wanted: Fullering Information
Raymond Deancona wrote:
I am looking for any contact information on some one in the US or Canada that can add fullers to an existing sword blade. Any info would be appreciated.

I would e-mail OlliN they might be willing to do the job or at least give an opinion about how feasible it would be with a specific sword ? With a diamond crossection a central fuller might thin the blade too much and make the blade too wippy ?
Thin narrow fullers leaving the original ridge at it's full thickness might also be a possibility.

With an existing sword there is always a risk that an error in grinding could ruing the original blade and the risk should be accepted by both parties ( after an honest evaluation about the level of risk ).

With a blade made by them any error would be corrected by making a new blade.

http://www.ollinsworddesign.com/

So at least I would e-mail Matthew or P.M. him and get an opinion/price quote if they accept the project.

Hope this helps.
I have done some experimental retro-fullering with good results. The set up I used is limited to 1/4" wide fullers for the moment. I did have some warpage to deal with that could probably have been prevented by more careful heat mitigation.
I am planning to work on it some more in the future but have more pressing projects at the moment. Due to the already-mentioned risks of grinding on a heat treated blade and changing its cross section, I am not confident enough to try it on someone else's blade yet. A few more months of experimenting is needed at least.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: