Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > German Translation help needed Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: German Translation help needed         Reply with quote

I'm looking translate the following catalogue entry from German to English:

Quote:
Scheibendolch, 14 jahrhundert
Rückenklinge. Griff aus Bronzeblech, oben mit umgebördelter ovaler Deckplatte verschlossen. Eingeschlagene Verzierungen (Wellenbänder und gezahnte Linien, auf der Deckplatte Rosette).

Various online translation sources give this:

Quote:
Disks dagger, 14 century. Back blade. Grasp from bronze sheet metal, above with umgeboerdelter oval cover plate locked. Geschlange ornaments (wave volumes and toothed lines, on the cover plate rosette).

Two terms are not working:

umgebördelter
Eingeschlange

I'm sure they're compound words, I just don't know exactly where the component words break.

Can anyone help?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Mon 30 Apr, 2007 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott T

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: German Translation help needed         Reply with quote

Quote:
Two terms are not working:

umgebördelter
Eingeschlange

I'm sure they're compound words, I just don't know exactly where the component words break.

"Eine schlange" means "a queue" or "one queue" if thats any help, sure its not a typo? Ein is the same as "A" as in "A sword" so i broke that word for you, Eine as opposed to "Ein" is "One" but schlange just means "queue".

"Umgebordelter" (i cant do umlouse) when broken down is "more flanged around".

Does that make more sense? i'm too tired to read thru the whole thing Wink
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: German Translation help needed         Reply with quote

Scott T wrote:

"Eine schlange" means "a queue" or "one queue" if thats any help, sure its not a typo? Ein is the same as "A" as in "A sword" so i broke that word for you, Eine as opposed to "Ein" is "One" but schlange just means "queue".

"Umgebordelter" (i cant do umlouse) when broken down is "more flanged around".

Does that make more sense? i'm too tired to read thru the whole thing Wink

Scott,
Thanks! There is a typo, but not the one you think. Happy

It should be: Eingeschlagene . I edited the post above.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Latest translation:

Quote:
Rondel dagger, 14th century. Back blade. Grip from bronze sheet metal, above with more flanged around oval cover plate locked. Hit (punched/engraved?) ornaments (wave volumes and toothed lines, on the cover plate rosette).

The underlined section doesn't make sense as it's pretty jumbled syntactically.

My guess is that flanges swelling from the grip go over the edges of the rondels and are crimped over, locking everything in place.

Happy

ChadA

Scott T

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i would go with that, it makes sense. one thing that online translators won't do for you is correct gramma. German gramma is a complete 180 on English gramma, but online, all you get is a basic single word by single word translation.

as much as i can "speak" german, reading and writing was never my forte` (i live in australia, so lost that skill at a young age) and non-common words are not easy either, like the german words for parts in cars, they just dont come up often enough in conversation to make them an easy to remember thing, same with weapons etc etc.

hopefully there is a native german speak/writing/reading sword lover here that can give a grammatically correct translation for you, better than i have done Happy
Micha Hofmann

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: German Translation help needed         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Quote:
Rückenklinge. Griff aus Bronzeblech, oben mit umgebördelter ovaler Deckplatte verschlossen. Eingeschlagene Verzierungen (Wellenbänder und gezahnte Linien, auf der Deckplatte Rosette).

Quote:
Disks dagger, 14 century. Back blade. Grasp from bronze sheet metal, above with umgeboerdelter oval cover plate locked. Geschlange ornaments (wave volumes and toothed lines, on the cover plate rosette).

Can anyone help?

I'm a little tired from work, but I'll give it a try:

Rondel dagger, 14th century. Back blade.
Grip made of bronze sheet metal,closed off on top ( topped off? ) by an oval, cover plate with folded over / rolled over edges ( like the edges on helmets or all-steel bucklers ) . Hammered-in ornaments ( wavy bands and toothed/ notched lines on the cover plate rosette ).

Hope this helps a little.

Good night.

Micha

PS: Edited for a clarification concerning "umbebördelter" and for the "back edge" part, which actually confuses me.
"Rückenschneide" is a well defined term - it means the short / back edge. But "Rückenklinge"??? I'm confused. And I'm German... WTF?!

PPS: Ahhh... "Rückenklinge" means a blade, where ( at least in some parts of the blade ) there is no back edge/ short edge, but a strong, non sharpened spine at the back, giving it strength. Just like with a backsword blade. Now that i've learned something new, it's time to go to sleep... Happy
Scott T

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well done, i knew there'd be someone game enough to give the tough words a decent translation.

cheers, now it won't bug me all night.
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: German Translation help needed         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Quote:

Two comments. I think the part referring to the "umgebördelter ovaler Deckplatte" is talking about a ferrule with rather short sides. Something akin to the grip plates you see on modern knives.

The last part talking about the rosette is a bit confusing, as it could mean that there is a pommel nut/rivet block in place. But, as the sentence talks about stamped ornaments, I'd say that the rosette is stamped as well.

Johan Schubert Moen

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > German Translation help needed
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic