Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 1907 Bayonet restauration Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ralph Williams

PostPosted: Wed 02 May, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: 1907 Bayonet restauration         Reply with quote

Hi I'm new here Happy

I have just inherited a WWI bayonet, which has unfortunately spent the past fifty years in my granddad’s garden shed. As you can imagine both the handle and the scabbard – and to a lesser extent the blade – are covered in rust. I was hoping that perhaps some of you could advise me on the best way to clear it up and preserve it as best a possible.

Thanks,

Ralph
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 02 May, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1907 Bayonet restauration         Reply with quote

Ralph Williams wrote:
Hi I'm new here Happy

I have just inherited a WWI bayonet, which has unfortunately spent the past fifty years in my granddad’s garden shed. As you can imagine both the handle and the scabbard – and to a lesser extent the blade – are covered in rust. I was hoping that perhaps some of you could advise me on the best way to clear it up and preserve it as best a possible.

Thanks,

Ralph

Stre it in a clean and dry place inside your home, as of first.

Than gentle cleaning by Ballistol or similar gun oil in repeating cycles should do a lot.

Just avoid sandpaper or other traumatic means.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 02 May, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1907 Bayonet restauration         Reply with quote

Ralph Williams wrote:
Hi I'm new here Happy

Thanks,

Ralph

Ralph...

I assume you are referring to a bayonet for the British Enfield rifle. If so, they are not particularly rare, although prices have increased of late. I would ordinarily recommend just removing the dirt and trying to preserve what finish was left on a rare piece. In this case, if the bayonet blade is substantially rusted and the fittings on the scabbard are in the same state, just drench it in oil and follow up with some steel wool. With that much rust you are bound to have extensive pitting so using something abrasive and a lot of elbow grease to get the rust (and remaining finish) off the blade is not going to make much difference, value-wise. Personally that is all I would do to this blade. 1907 Enfield bayonets in reasonable condition can still be had for $100 or less so it is not worth expending a lot of effort.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 1907 Bayonet restauration
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic