Wrist Blade Shooter?
This must be the strangest topic that I posted. But, is there any way to construct a device that shoots sharp blades (such as razor sharp knife blades) mechanically from the wrist?

I got the idea (to me it doesn't matter how impractical or practical tha weapon is) from two fictional sources.

1) from the T.V. series remake of Dune where one of the chracters uses a crossbow that mounted or worn on his wrist and he simple squeezes a lever that fires the crossbow bolt/quarrel.

2) from the 4th part of the Anime (Samurai X OVA) were theirs any assassin that fires sharp spike-like projectiles from his wrist by utilizing a form of pump-action device located underneath his arm.

I wanted to know if t would be possible to construct such a device that propels double-edged dagger blades, instead of spikes or bolts/quarrels?

And how efficent does anyone think this device would be? Are there historical weapons that exist that are similar to what I'm looking for to help me in constructing such a device. I really just want to see if I can be done and if so I think it be a cool weapon! :cool:

Last edited by Justin Pasternak on Thu 19 Apr, 2007 9:48 am; edited 2 times in total
You might get more of a response over at SFI. They must have a section that covers your wrist blade thing.
I have moved this topic to the Off-topic Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of general history and other miscellaneous topics relating to arms and armour that do not specifically fit our other forums"

Since you're not asking about a historic weapon, Off-Topic Talk is the correct location.

Thank you.
wrist crossbow
Okay, I don't exactly have the blueprints, but here's the basics:

Get a pistol crossbow from somewhere like the sportsman's warehouse, or some other place

Make a bracer, either completly or at least the top out of plastic.

Saw off crossbow grip with hacksaw

Epoxy grip stub to plastic of bracer...some fitting will be required to grind a curve in the stub to mate w/ the bracer

Part of your bracer should come around to your palm; this is what your trigger can mount against.

The trigger I can't really describe...you need a something to squeeze. Probably the simplest thing is a bulb of air or fluid, with a little tube going to a smaller bulb the fills the trigger guard of the crossbow. Squeeze the bulb in your hand, the fluid expands against the trigger, firing the crossbow. The crossbow's trigger will probably have to be lightened up to where the expanding bulb will action the trigger, but that's it.

As dangerous as this already is, I wouldn't disable the safety.

Viola! Redneck Wrist Crossbow

You can replace the bolts with thin blades...think stilleto blades. You only need a very short shaft with nock and vanes to engage the string. I would keep something with vanes, to stabilize the bladed projectile as much as possible. A bare blade will windplane badly, and this thing aint the icon of accuracy to start with.
Very interesting indeed! What the Heck, i'll try it out and post the details later. :lol:
Hi Justin,

You might want to check out the legality of making ballistic knives. Practical realization or not, it's a bit of a can of worms.

You might want to check out local and state statute, even if it were never to leave your place of residence.

Cheers

GC
Check with local law enforcement, I think you'll find that aside from the complete Hollywood impactical voodoo of the idea that its illegal as all get out in a felony sort of a way if you could actually manage to build one that worked without CGI enhancement. Law regarding weapons get VERY tangled due to the plethora laws, sometimes redundent on the books.
There may not be any formal prohibition of this kind of topic here, but I wish folks would respect the mission of the site. It's "A Resource for Historic Arms and Armour Collectors". I think we all lose credibility when we start trading information about fantastic, non-historical arms, especially those with as much potential to accidently injure as the one discussed here. There may even be some legal jeapordy involved. Can we at least just limit this discussion to historical weapons of this description and move on if none can be found?

It would be very sad for this thread to become "How To Blind My Friends and Go To Jail".
It's not that I'm trying to disrespect this forum. I should have stated my question differently, that's all.

I'm very curious about the odd and unique weapons that have existed throughout the history of the world, such as combinations weapons like swords and firearms.

I just wanted to know about any type of historical concealed missile weapon (for example, such as a small crossbow that could be mounted (worn) on a person's arm; that could have been hidden under a cloak or other piece of clothing) in the Middle Ages? All I want to know is if some type of weapon could have or did exist? :\

I'm not planning on using this device I'm building as a weapon. When I finish it I will be by myself, (I would never use this weapon around other people) wearing some form of bodily protection, so I can decrease the chance of injuring myself during the initial testing.

And last of all I just want to see if this so called theoretical weapon (I just named it the "wrist blade shooter") could have possibly worked and been used as a medieval concealed weapon. :!:

Last edited by Justin Pasternak on Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
I think it could be an interesting and appropriate topic, it just looked like it might be veering into Anararchist Cookbook territory, which could reinforce the "sword nut" impression some folks have of this hobby.

As for the underlying question here--There are multiple examples of complex projectile mechanisms in Western arms, but they tend to follow developments in firearms technology. The the only things I can think of close to your interest would be late inventions like the little gun worn on the belt at the small of the back and triggered by the wearer in the event he was attacked from behind. I've heard of derringer springers, but that's just anecdotal as far as I know. The spring-driven, "trident" maine gauche and similar edged weapons demonstrate that the technology existed to keep a device under tension until released by a button. I'm not aware of any medieval or renaissance device intended to fire projectiles from the arms. The main problems:

• A wearable device would not be powerful enough to deliver a projectile far enough and with enough power to make the device superior to a dagger. HIstorically, I think we would be talking about leaf springs rather than coil springs, so space is a major consideration.

• Even a small device would be so cumbersome that it would significantly interfere with any other defensive or offensive use of the hands and arms.

• The potential for accidental self-injury seems high, while the potential for intentional injury of others seems quite low.

• One would still have to wear a sidearm of some sort because a single-use device's chief drawback is that it disarms its user. If one intends to wear a dagger anyway, why add the complex and inferior technology?

• We can count on somebody at some point considering and perhaps even making such a device, but the rarity of such devices suggests that they were not effective or practical.
While surfing, I found this reproduction, which is apparently a copy of an original in the Palazzo Ducale in Venice. It's a normal crossbow firing bolts with a very short efective range, but one of the closest historical designs I've seen as far as what you're looking for.
http://www.period-crossbows.demon.co.uk/assassin.htm
I also seem to remember from some book on the crossbow another design of assassins crossbow that used a screw mechanism but somehow the limbs were arranged so that they were much more compact and didn't stick out (seems like it resembled a car jack but the details escape me,) anyone know what I'm talking about?
Anyway, if I come accross it again I'll try to post it,
Dan
I know this weapon isn't shot from the wrist, but this would probably be the the closes thing that can fire a knife-like projectile. The weapon that I found is the "ballistic knife", which is fired from the knife handle by tension from a powerful coil spring.

They are universally illegal in the U.S.

This is a link to a wikipedia page on the "Ballistic Knife": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_knife

Last edited by Justin Pasternak on Sun 29 Apr, 2007 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
But, thanks again everyone for your help on this topic! :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: