Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Longsword Pommel Gripping Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What I meant by that quote is that the other masters did not include a teaching to grip the pommel one way or another. The other masters did not teach that there is one right way; only Doebringer does. I think that if there was a right way, then the other masters would have discussed it. Instead there are many appropriate ways, as depicted in the many illustrations. Whether someone grips the pommel or not should be dependant on preference, situation, the sword, and the pommel.
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I noticed on some of my swords that my right hand became the fulcrum and my left all the control, so the most important aspect was that my left hand be comfortable on whatever style pommel it had and that my right hand not be impeded by its crossgaurd while maneuvering it..

Personally I like wheel/disc pommels only about 40%. They are just to commonplace. I once had five swords that all had the same disc-like pommel. it was just too repetitious.I need more variety in my collection.
That about all I can bring to this table. Big Grin

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:
I noticed on some of my swords that my right hand became the fulcrum and my left all the control, so the most important aspect was that my left hand be comfortable on whatever style pommel it had and that my right hand not be impeded by its crossgaurd while maneuvering it..

Funny, I experience quite the opposite in kenjutsu : left hand fulcrum (i.e. the sword pivots around it), right hand control (tip control and edge alignment). Could be just different interpretations of the same motion, though.

I'm also surprised by all the talk about torquing the handle. When I cut from a high position (what would be called vom tag in german tradition if I understand correctly) it goes like this : slight torque on the handle to launch the whole sword forward, pull with the left hand to make the weapon pivot around it and accelerate downwards, great torque on the handle to stop the sword after the cut. So during the "effective" part of the cut the right hand just follows and controls edge alignment. The torque just serves for quick start and stop... Yes, it's not longsword I practice, but could it be that the mechanics are that different ?

Regards

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The way I have been taught to cut with an oberhau is to push the sword forward with both hands. It's like I am punching with my right hand. My right shoulder is forward (because I am right handed) and so my right arm can reach farther forward then my left. As I extend, my left hand kind of stops while my right keeps going so that my hands apply torque to the handle and the blade snaps down into long point. It is like the pop of a whip and allows the blade to accelerate much faster than otherwise. From longpoint my arms, hands, and the sword continue to travel along the arc down into wechsel as I decelerate the sword to a stop with my shoulders.

What you are describing may be the about the same thing. It is hard to know through just a discription and without seeing it.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Coffman wrote:

What you are describing may be the about the same thing. It is hard to know through just a discription and without seeing it.

Yep, I think we are doing the same thing in fact. It's just that I don't consider that when stopping my left hand, I'm applying torque to the handle. As a matter of fact I can do much the same cut, the whip effect you describe, without using my right hand at all, letting it go once the point is launched. Of course it's not advisable since the edge control is not that good, and the chances are that the weapon ends up stuck in the ground, but the cut is done Wink

Thanks for the clarification !

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Longsword Pommel Gripping
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: