Hanwei Practical Albrecht
Searching around for a quality and inexpensive stage combat sword, I've noticed the Hanwei Practical Austrian or Albrecht Hand and a Half sword. - http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c389.html - sometimes known as SH2106, and selling from $110.00 to $140.00. Has anyone bought this sword yet? If you have, is it tough enough to take the abuse? Does it handle better than a dead crowbar?

One site says that it has a permanently mounted grip and riveted tang for safety. I'm sorry to say that I've forgotten what a riveted tang is. Riveted to the grip? Or does it mean that the tang is a separate piece attached to a stub coming up from the shoulder?
I have one, and it handles quite nicely; a little heavier than a sharp would, but not like a dead crowbar. The riveted tang just means that it's peened over the pommel.
Thanks, Robert. Its interesting that the Practical H&H weighs about a pound less than the 2034-GT. They look similar, but are obviously very different.
I've got one as well and have been happy with it for general use. Certainly well worth the incredibly cheap price.

I personally like the weight and balance on it. The steel's a little on the soft side, but otherwise it's fine.

But, despite the positives here, I've heard negatives. I've heard stories of the early made ones snapping at the tang after a fair amount of use. Nothing too light, but certainly nothing abusive, either. Those were reports about a year ago, and I don't know if this is a problem that has been fixed or if it's spotty qualitiy control. As always, you get what you pay for.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: