Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Carrying a two-hander around town Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Steven H

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael-
Thank you, I'll add that to the list of things the LARPers were wrong about Big Grin

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Steven,

Don't take my word for it, I just browsed the laws...but I would be seriously surprised if there was a single place in the US where swords (except cane swords and other "evil" weapons) were illegal.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Simple Solution         Reply with quote

There is a much simpler solution to carrying them around if you don't want passersby to notice what you are carrying. Go to a fabric store and buy a couple of yards of canvas (perhaps 3 yards per sword). Wrap your babies up in the canvas and tie it off with cloth or leather straps. Then carry them over your shoulder as was done back in the day! No worries about oil on your clothes, people wanting to touch your blade (isn't it amazing how many people want to test your edge with their thumb), or people openly seeing what you have. They only thing you have to worry about really is the point coming through. O course you could always get a heavy piece of scrap leather to put on the point.

Joel
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
16-45.1 Carrying of Weapons Prohibited.
No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under his control in a vehicle, any knife having any type of blade in excess of two and one-half (2½ ) inches, ice picks, dirks or similar weapons that are likely to penetrate through police officer's ballistic vests, or other object or tool so redesigned, fashioned, prepared or treated that the same may be used to inflict bodily harm or injury to another, except:

Right. So a blunt HanWei 'practical' cán be carried and a long narrow screwdriver not. Rather logical.

Peter
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folks,
It's really far outside the bounds of this forum's purpose to debate legalities. Let's not discuss how we feel about laws currently or formerly in place.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Hi Steven,

Don't take my word for it, I just browsed the laws...but I would be seriously surprised if there was a single place in the US where swords (except cane swords and other "evil" weapons) were illegal.

Is that law you quoted for fixed blade knives or for folders as well. Just curious. In California you can carry any length...as long as it isn't concealed and it isn't a dagger or dirk (?) except for legal folders, which can be carried concealed and any length.

I'm kind of curious to know the knife laws in Mass. there. Do you have a link?

I've been to a lot of Ren faires out here that have lots of cops standing about, but not seeming to care about weapons openly displayed. Some though require peace-bonds, but that seems to be a liability issue for the faires rather than any law issue. When I travel with my swords, I just dump them in the trunk and carry them there.
Aaron J. Cergol

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As I'm a leatherworker I would make a nice leather case for it- similar to the St.Maurice of Turin sword case. put some historical designs on it and you're good to go. but with it being a zweihander it would look rather awkward and overley large. still worth a try though.

just my $.02,

Aaron
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found those on Google...they're not hard to find. There are many websites dedicated to hosting them, not to mention the Mass. government websites.

This law is like most laws in the US...you can't carry unless you're doing something lawful that you need it for. Not many know this, but in NYC you can carry any knife you want (except switch blades, ballisongs, etc.) as long as you are goint to or returning from a picnic. Better carry a basket and a printout of the law, though. Happy

Out of respect for Chad's wishes, I won't say what I think about these laws, but suffice it to say swords are legal everywhere in the US, with the possible but unlikely exception of some small part of the country that has somehow, and for some bizare reason, snuck them onto some other statute.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I like them, so again, don't take my word for it.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Many rifle cases are of similar dimensions as cases for electric guitars and basses. They won't be as cheap as a rifle case and may be more likely to be stolen, but they may attract less attention. Alternatively, you could get a "Fender" sticker or other music-related stickers and slap them on the case to make it look more like a guitar case and less like a rifle case.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Many rifle cases are of similar dimensions as cases for electric guitars and basses. They won't be as cheap as a rifle case and may be more likely to be stolen, but they may attract less attention. Alternatively, you could get a "Fender" sticker or other music-related stickers and slap them on the case to make it look more like a guitar case and less like a rifle case.

Sometimes I wonder if some rifle cases and music cases aren't made by the same manufacturers. Eek! I've seen both that at a glance couldn't be told apart and were stylistically identical in shape and decorative accents.

The whole thing getting back to the essential of the original Topic is to have something protecting your swords from damage and protect others from sharp and pointy things and as well keep your business private and attract minimal attention.

It's not so much fooling people into thinking you have a musical instrument instead of a sword or a rifle but in being so uninteresting as to attract no attention ( good or bad ).

In fact in a rural area were hunting is common people thinking you have a rifle could cause the least attention. ( Again context might vary i.e. hunting season or not hunting season ).

The point of my original post was to just have some thought about local conditions, and not just laws, to avoid possible problems: Didn't want to exaggerate the risks though. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Carrying a two-hander around town
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: