Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > William Wallace Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Rae

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: William Wallace Sword         Reply with quote

I am keen to get a replica of the William Wallace Sword as in the one from the Wikipedia. Does anyone know who may make this?

David Rae
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please link directly to what you're talking about so people can help you.

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David Rae

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Wallace Sword Wikapedia         Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_Sword
Nicholas A. Gaese

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can recommend claymore armoury, they make the only repro I know. I have never done business with them but from what I hear their products are good as well as their service.

http://www.claymore-armoury.co.uk/index.html

Regards.
Alexander Lambrinos

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only problem with http://www.claymore-armoury.co.uk/index.html is that they only make blunts. For years I have been hoping someone would make a reproduction of the Wallace sword but no one I know of does. Your best bet is to find a custom smith, but it will cost a lot if they can make it at all. I am surprised a sword that famous and almost no one makes a reproduction of it. Most likely no one is allowed to handle it, so dimensions and so forth probably have never been recorded.
James Cunniffe

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought a copy of a blunt wallace sword for around two hundred bucks, it looked very good but at the end of the day if this sword is blunt or sharp I think out is still a wall hanger.
Its too heavy with a grip that its too short for the length of the blade so if I was you I would not go spending big money.
Just my 2 cents. Check out macallenarmoures.com if you want to spend big money.

Though the pen is mightier than the sword,
the sword speaks louder and stronger at any given moment.

Last edited by James Cunniffe on Thu 17 Nov, 2011 7:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I see that Macallen Armourers sells a replica of this sword, but I owned one of their Highland two-handers a few years back, and it was too heavy, badly balanced, no distal taper, and had several glaring flaws for a sword that cost as much as it did. Also, I have never had a reply when inquiring about a Macallen product - some have wondered if they're still actually in business.
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you actually saw that thing, you wouldn't want a replica. It looks like a blacksmith roughly forged two shorter billets together in the middle, went at it with a grindstone and then set it aside as a failed experiment. Some unscrupulous early 16thC merchants presented it to James V with the tale of its provenance quoted above. James V bought it hook, line & sinker then sent it off to have "more appropriate" hilt furnishings placed on it.

There is no way that thing was carried by William Wallace. Where would he have gotten it? The Scots were importing their blades and armour at the time. Even the Germans, known for really large war blades, weren't making blades with that cross section.

Sorry to rain on your parade but the walk up the hill is the best thing about that particular "museum." Its a tourist-trap like the "Bruce's Cave" sites that dot the west of Scotland.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:
If you actually saw that thing, you wouldn't want a replica. It looks like a blacksmith roughly forged two shorter billets together in the middle, went at it with a grindstone and then set it aside as a failed experiment. Some unscrupulous early 16thC merchants presented it to James V with the tale of its provenance quoted above. James V bought it hook, line & sinker then sent it off to have "more appropriate" hilt furnishings placed on it.

There is no way that thing was carried by William Wallace. Where would he have gotten it? The Scots were importing their blades and armour at the time. Even the Germans, known for really large war blades, weren't making blades with that cross section.

Sorry to rain on your parade but the walk up the hill is the best thing about that particular "museum." Its a tourist-trap like the "Bruce's Cave" sites that dot the west of Scotland.

Yes, even in the picture it's not a very attractive sword at all IMO.
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.castlekeep.co.uk/index.asp
Best real version i've seen of this sword,
Rob made one as part of a display of ten to twelve swords for a hotel,if memory serves,
he should still have the pic and details onfile,as the original thread was on his old forum,that was virused and binned,
cool guy,great to work with,double thumbs up all round,
Cool
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Contact James, he makes custom hilts/swords/scabbards in Scotland and if he can't make it for you, I don't know who would.

http://www.elmslie.co.uk

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > William Wallace Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic