Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New website look and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: New website look and updates         Reply with quote

Doesn't seem like I've had much time to post lately. We did give my website a bit of a makeover, and so far it seems like it has been a positive change. I've added to my iron age sword article, mainly in the form of some sketches to help people visualize the type of blades that I am talking about. A few projects are getting close to being finished and I have updated pictures of them.

I've hit a bit of a snag with the double fullered sword that I have in the works. Julie had some allergies last fall from something that we couldn't figure out, but they went away about the start of winter and we didn't think much more about it. The other day though I started back working on the chestnut guards for the sword and her allergies came right back. So I am not totally sure where the project stands right now. Initial research into the allergy suggest that people with an allergy or sensitivity to latex may also have problems with chestnut. So I am still looking into it to see what I want to do about it.

I do have a bit of a teaser picture of the horn hilted La Tene II that is getting close to being finished. I polished the horn a bit to help see the areas that still need work, so I thought I would take the picture. I can already tell that photographing what all is going on in the horn is going to be a problem, much like figure in wood or the stones like tigers eye. The horn looks dark, but each side has a layer about a 1/8" below the surface that is a greenish brown to bronze color. At certain angles the entire hilt will appear that color instead of being dark. In the picture you can somewhat see this color difference in the lower guard. I also took the picture of what will be the back side of the hilt to show people the cracks in the horn. They aren't anything that would cause any structural problems, and I was able to keep them all on one side of the hilt. It is just one of those things you have to work with when it comes to organics like this. There are plenty of example from this period of hilts that clearly had a front and back side. Hope to have this finished in the next week or two.

Shane Allee

http://www.ironagearmoury.com/
Mark G.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a cool looking sword, and a particularly unique hilt. It's looking good, and I can't wait to see how it turns out. Are you still planning on putting some fluting in the center section of the grip?
www.ollinsworddesign.com
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to put the grooves in, but probably hold off at first with putting any paint in them. If someone buys it I'll suggest putting some in there, and they can have a bit of a color choice that way. If there is no interest in it after awhile I'll just keep it for myself like I originally intended and put some yellow or red paint in the grooves.

Been tossing around the idea of what I wanted to do with the peen and I think that I will try making a small dome that will fit over the end.

Pretty much also decided that I'm going to scrap the chestnut. Interest and hope is pretty low about being able to sell these swords so I'm going to be doing them with designs and materials that I've been wanting when I got around to doing them for myself. That way the worst case is dropping back to this as a hobby and ending up with a nice collection the way that I wanted them.

Shane
Barrett Hiebert

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings,

Shane Allee:

Quote:
Doesn't seem like I've had much time to post lately. We did give my website a bit of a makeover, and so far it seems like it has been a positive change. I've added to my iron age sword article, mainly in the form of some sketches to help people visualize the type of blades that I am talking about. A few projects are getting close to being finished and I have updated pictures of them.

I've hit a bit of a snag with the double fullered sword that I have in the works. Julie had some allergies last fall from something that we couldn't figure out, but they went away about the start of winter and we didn't think much more about it. The other day though I started back working on the chestnut guards for the sword and her allergies came right back. So I am not totally sure where the project stands right now. Initial research into the allergy suggest that people with an allergy or sensitivity to latex may also have problems with chestnut. So I am still looking into it to see what I want to do about it.

I do have a bit of a teaser picture of the horn hilted La Tene II that is getting close to being finished. I polished the horn a bit to help see the areas that still need work, so I thought I would take the picture. I can already tell that photographing what all is going on in the horn is going to be a problem, much like figure in wood or the stones like tigers eye. The horn looks dark, but each side has a layer about a 1/8" below the surface that is a greenish brown to bronze color. At certain angles the entire hilt will appear that color instead of being dark. In the picture you can somewhat see this color difference in the lower guard. I also took the picture of what will be the back side of the hilt to show people the cracks in the horn. They aren't anything that would cause any structural problems, and I was able to keep them all on one side of the hilt. It is just one of those things you have to work with when it comes to organics like this. There are plenty of example from this period of hilts that clearly had a front and back side. Hope to have this finished in the next week or two.

Hey Shane, I wanted to say awesome work, and I hope that Julie gets better and that you will finish this sword assured of its usefulness (albeit, from your last post, you already are!) Just wanted to say good luck, and definately will check out the new website when able! Cheers!

Best regards,

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 15 May, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Barrett

I'm really happy that I switched out the chestnut for the apple. The chestnut is nice, but the apple is just a step up in my eyes at least. It is moving right along nicely and I hope to keep the momentum going on it.

Shane
Barrett Hiebert

PostPosted: Wed 16 May, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings,

Very nice Shane! Glad to hear from you! Cheers!

Best regards,

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 19 May, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Allee wrote:
... I'm really happy that I switched out the chestnut for the apple. ...

The apple wood looks great. The sword should look beautiful when finished.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Steve.

I was able to finish the sword up last night. Did run into some problems and had to make a new guard for it, but the second one went pretty smoothly.

There are a couple more pictures on the site as well.

http://www.ironagearmoury.com/lateneiii.htm

Now I have to get back on the horn hilt.

Shane
Barrett Hiebert

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Question?         Reply with quote

Greetings,

I really like it, Shane! Excellent job! And for some reason, the splotches on the type of wood you used reminded me of a cow! But how does it feel? I mean I'm only used to a 25.2 inch bronze Naue II sword that I recieved from Neil (and it is very quick to me), so how would that compare, or can you not really compare? I've always liked such blades but when I let my arms hang loose and measure the webbing of my thumb to the floor, I come up with 27 1/2 inches to 28 inches to the ground, and I feel due to that measurement that any blade longer than that will hinder me when swinging, and stick in the ground, or in the press of combat, I won't have enough room to swing. So what is your experience in this matter with the blade or any other La Tene swords that I've seen on your website? Thankyou very much! Cheers!

Best regards,

Barrett Michael Hiebert

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New website look and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic