Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darkwood Armory English Basket Hilt II Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Darkwood Armory English Basket Hilt II         Reply with quote

My first replica sword arrived today--the Darkwood Armory English Basket Hilt II (1580). I chose the detailed finish, double twist wire spiralled grip, custom quillons, and 36" backsword blade with one fuller. This is intended more as a sword for learning Silver than as an historical replica or re-creation. Stats to come, but first here are some photos.

Jonathan

Attachment: 81.17 KB
darkwood1.JPG

Attachment: 87.57 KB
darkwood2.JPG

Attachment: 87.14 KB
darkwood3.JPG

Attachment: 80.84 KB
darkwood4.JPG

Attachment: 80.87 KB
darkwood5.JPG

Attachment: 86.6 KB
darkwood6.JPG

Attachment: 86.88 KB
darkwood7.JPG

Attachment: 93.75 KB
darkwood8.JPG

William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Jonathan.....I know you've been waiting for this to show up.....beans of coolness.

What a way to top of your return home from the UK trip!

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill,
Thanks! I was pleased to see it on my doorstep when I got home from work. My UK acquisition will hopefully arrive later this week, so it will be quite the week for swords!

Jonathan
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Darkwood Armory English Basket Hilt II         Reply with quote

Beat me to it, I was planning to post about my Darkwood rapier that arrived last week, but I have not managed to pull photos half as nice as these yet...

Congrats on your new sword! If it handles as nicely as mine does, it will be a real pleasure for you to practice with it Happy

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Overall length: 43"
Blade length: 36"
False edge length: 12"
Hilt length: 7 3/8" (~8 1/4" including pas d'ane)
Quillon span: 10 1/4"
Grip length: 4 1/4"
Basket width: 5"
Basket depth: 4 3/4"
Weight: 2 lbs. 14 oz.
PoB: ~4" from the hilt
CoP: ~12 1/2" from the hilt
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Darkwood Armory English Basket Hilt II         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
Beat me to it, I was planning to post about my Darkwood rapier that arrived last week, but I have not managed to pull photos half as nice as these yet...

Congrats on your new sword! If it handles as nicely as mine does, it will be a real pleasure for you to practice with it Happy

I look forward to pics of yours! I am quite pleased with how it handles, especially with the spiral wire grip!

Jonathan

Added: I just realized that I am missing a nice overall shot. I'll snap one tomorrow.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, that's really cool! I've never seen one quite like it (with the quillons, that is), but it still falls under the "historically plausible" to me, and looks great regardless. Happy Very nice!
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Wow, that's really cool! I've never seen one quite like it (with the quillons, that is), but it still falls under the "historically plausible" to me, and looks great regardless. Happy Very nice!

Thanks, Bill! That's what I was going for. I wanted somthing unique, but plausible. Now, if only someone in VT would like to learn a little Silver with me I'll be all set...

The basket is rather large compared to my antique 1740s dragoon sword, but I expected this afer handling Chris Last's nice Darkwood in December. The wire grip is a real treat and provides a nice surface to grip. The turksheads are quite good compared to other Darkwood examples I have seen posted onIine. I like that Scott Wilson made the backsword blade look like a backsword blade, the false edge is an expecially nice and unexpected touch. The hilt is nice and tight, and it is easy to take apart and reassemble.

Although I opted for the highest level of finish on the hilt, there are still some visible grind marks. At first I was a little upset by this, but polishing the hilt with Simichrome has enhanced the aesthetics of the hilt. Overall it has a hand-made look to it; a look that has grown on me. It is, after all, intended as a blunt training sword, so I would not compare it to an E.B. Erickson or other high-end basket hilt artist.

I am quite enthusiastic about this sword, and would consider another Darkwood purchase at some point in the future (a companion dagger, perhaps?). I think the only moification I would make would be to get the standard finish instead of the "detailed" finish. In hindsight the detailed finish was probably an unnecessary expense for a practice weapon.

The feel of the sword is actually quite similar to my antique basket hilt, which I consider to be a good thing. As a newcomer to HEMA, I do not feel too qualified to comment on its handling in a martial sense. However, it feels 'right', and I have been embarassing my wife by walking around the house with it--what can I say, I'm a big old sword geek!

I am eager to see how Darkwood's relationship with Angus Trim matures. I think it would be especially cool if Gus could make sharp blades that would work with a Darkwood hilt--interchangeable blunt and sharp blades sound nifty to me!

Jonathan
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is an overall shot of the sword:

Attachment: 44.41 KB
[ Download ]
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And here are some comparison shots of the Darkwood basket hilt along side my antique English dragoon sword c.1740:

Attachment: 105 KB
15801740.1.JPG

Attachment: 84.19 KB
15801740.2.JPG

Attachment: 41.96 KB
15801740.3.JPG

Eric Johanen

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan, that is a great looking sword! I really like the quillon profile. Looks just like the illustration of the one used to show Silver's guard in the book by Stephen Hand. I have several of Scotts' Darkwood rapiers and they are very well made. They can stand up to hard drilling and come out looking good. I also opted for the detailed finish. It costs a bit more but really looks nice and I have noticed that for some, a rougher munitions grade finish can lead to rather poor habits in keeping their swords in condition. Because those dings and nicks stand out on the hilts, I do a better job of keeping them smooth and removing the nicks from my blades. I know my practice partners appreciate this. The Darkwood hilts are a bit oversize but, they do an excellent job of protecting the hand and I do like this feature when engaged in freeplay with my practice partners. I,ve been considering one of the baskethilt backswords and I may have a grip done like yours. I do like that look! With that long blade can you still do the transition behind the dagger stated by Silver for determining the correct length of the sword? For me the max is 34 inches to do this without cramping my arm and interfearing with the outstreached dagger. Hope you get to put that backsword to good use soon.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Johanen wrote:
With that long blade can you still do the transition behind the dagger stated by Silver for determining the correct length of the sword? For me the max is 34 inches to do this without cramping my arm and interfearing with the outstreached dagger. Hope you get to put that backsword to good use soon.

Eric,
Thanks! I was originally going to get a 37" blade, but Bill Goodwin convinced me to go a bit shorter and I'm glad he did. At 36" I can comfortably stand as Silver and Stephen Hand illustrate. I hope I can put it to good use soon, too! I just need to find someone else who is interested in learning Silver and in spending the money necessary to do so (singlesticks or something similar might have to do at first.).

Jonathan
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Jonathan! Great to be you, right now, with two new acquisitions.

The Darkwood hilt looks really nice in the detailed finish. I expecially like that grip! I must admit that I was surprised to see the size of the hilt in comparison with your antique dragoon sword. I wonder, is it just that the Darkwood hilt is large, or could it be that the dragoon basket is also a little compact?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
James Holczer

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on your acquisition. I really like the design of the basket. Scott Wilson really makes an exceptionally rugged and well made product that should provide you with excellent service. I know I have no complaints about my Darkwood products and I wish you lots of luck with yours.

Jim Holczer
Student – Umbs School of Fence / Martinez Academy of Arms.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Congratulations, Jonathan! Great to be you, right now, with two new acquisitions.

The Darkwood hilt looks really nice in the detailed finish. I expecially like that grip! I must admit that I was surprised to see the size of the hilt in comparison with your antique dragoon sword. I wonder, is it just that the Darkwood hilt is large, or could it be that the dragoon basket is also a little compact?

Thanks, Steve!
I think it's a bit of both. The dragoon basket hilt may be on the small side (the basket is quite cozy around my hand), but the Darkwood is definitely a bit oversized as well. Part of the reason for this is that the basket on the Darkwood extends to the middle of the large globular pommel, whereas the basket on the dragoon sword terminates at the base of the grip. This adds at least 1/2" to the height of the Darkwood basket. The extra width might be the result of Scott trying to maintain the proportions of the basket . I do not think the larger size is a bad thing, just something one might want to know ahead of time.

Jonathan
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Holczer wrote:
Congratulations on your acquisition. I really like the design of the basket. Scott Wilson really makes an exceptionally rugged and well made product that should provide you with excellent service. I know I have no complaints about my Darkwood products and I wish you lots of luck with yours.

Jim Holczer
Student – Umbs School of Fence / Martinez Academy of Arms.

Thanks, Jim. I am thrilled with my new sword and look forward to putting it to good use!

Jonathan
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, the basket meets the pommel about an inch below the grip, so it's a bit longer than I thought.
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Wed 09 May, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan, I saw this thread some time ago, but forgot to compliment you on your new sword.
She's a real beauty! The quillons are very interesting, I think, because they look very much like the quillons on some of the German basket hilts at Forsvarsmuseet in Oslo.

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 09 May, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Henrik. German basket hilts were the inspiration for the quillons--good observation! As mentioned earlier by Bill Grandy, I wanted something historically plausible and unique.

Jonathan

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Darkwood Armory English Basket Hilt II
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic