Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Munich (x2) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
I just found this picture of the original out of its case in the photo archive! I'd never seen it not behind glass. Absolutely beautiful. And the reproduction looks like a worthy successor. Big Grin
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/962.html

That photo is one of those I took during the documentation back in 2002.
A full set of photos, a scale 1:1 tracing of the sword with measurements is the material that is the basis for the current NG deisgn and a previous handforged version for a private customer.
I had some two hours together with this sword: it was an unforgettable experience.

Right now time is a bit tight, I will try to get back later on this topic and describe a little of what goes into the deisgn process after you have access to the full documentation material.
Jared Smith

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to thank Albion for the Munich which I recieved today. Like all the other Albions that came before it, it is "my new favorite!"

I am not sure what forum section is intended as appropriate for public visitors to post opinions about products, so I did so on the Off Topic section.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
I would like to thank Albion for the Munich which I recieved today. Like all the other Albions that came before it, it is "my new favorite!"

I am not sure what forum section is intended as appropriate for public visitors to post opinions about products, so I did so on the Off Topic section.

I'm curious about the thickness of the blade near the guard and what the distal taper is like ( approximation: I'm not interested in knowing what may be proprietary info that Albion would rather keep to itself ).

A friend mentioned that the Talhoffer has a blade thickness of 1/2" near the guard ! Actually this type of info would have influenced my desire for a Talhoffer or Agincourt.

I wonder how many of the Albion swords have thick near the guard blades ? I think Albion does mention that the Svante has a half inch thick blade. Apart from my curiosity I think that this specific information would be good marketing for Albion.

Obviously, a thick blade like this at the guard would distal taper a great deal for a sword to handle well. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jared Smith

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I'm curious about the thickness of the blade near the guard and what the distal taper is like ( approximation: I'm not interested in knowing what may be proprietary info that Albion would rather keep to itself ).

A friend mentioned that the Talhoffer has a blade thickness of 1/2" near the guard ! Actually this type of info would have influenced my desire for a Talhoffer or Agincourt.

Obviously, a thick blade like this at the guard would distal taper a great deal for a sword to handle well. Wink

These thicknesses sound a little exagerated, but I have not seen the Againcourt. Bear in mind, you can check the performance statistics (weight, blade width, etc.) and decide for yourself what is possible or not. I measured the thickness and photographed it in comparison to some other swords with similar statistics in my post of first impressions.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=9562

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, I notice your post in the off-topic forum after I submitted my post.
You do mention that the Munich is 3/8 " thick near the guard, so you already answered that question.

I haven't seen a Talhoffer or Agincourt first hand but my friend seemed fairly certain about the 1/2" thickness.

Like I said I am curious about how many if any of the Albion swords would be this thick ?

Jared thanks for the reply. Cool

Maybe Peter or someone at Albion will chime in and satisfy my curiosity. ( Or owners of various Albion swords ??? )

Oh, very interesting and appealing sword and congratualations on the purchase of the Munich.

Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

The Talhoffer and Agincourt are 1/3" thick near the guard, not 1/2". The Svante is the only Albion I'm aware of that's that thick, and that sword is a beast (in a good way).

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Jean,

The Talhoffer and Agincourt are 1/3" thick near the guard, not 1/2". The Svante is the only Albion I'm aware of that's that thick, and that sword is a beast (in a good way).

Well, 1/3 of an inch or .33" is more than fairly thick and probably my friend just eyeballed the thickness at maybe being 1/2".

With a blade bevels and looking at the side or using one's fingers it seems to me difficult to be precise about thickness when I look at my own blades.

In any case I still find 1/3" very stout and for me something that would make me consider buying a Talhofer more than if it was much thinner. ( In other words a positive trait in a thrusting sword assuming that the profile and distal tapers give a good handling sword. Oh, general comment about swords and I have no doubt that the Talhoffer is well ballanced for it's type as are all Albion swords ).

Oh, and thanks for the reply. Big Grin

Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:
Jean,

Well, 1/3 of an inch or .33" is more than fairly thick and probably my friend just eyeballed the thickness at maybe being 1/2".

With a blade bevels and looking at the side or using one's fingers it seems to me difficult to be precise about thickness when I look at my own blades.

In any case I still find 1/3" very stout and for me something that would make me consider buying a Talhofer more than if it was much thinner. ( In other words a positive trait in a thrusting sword assuming that the profile and distal tapers give a good handling sword. Oh, general comment about swords and I have no doubt that the Talhoffer is well ballanced for it's type as are all Albion swords ).

Oh, and thanks for the reply. Big Grin

Hi Jean,

Oh yeah, it's quite a robust blade. The Talhoffer is my favorite Albion longsword, followed by the Svante, and then the Earl. I haven't seen a Munich in the flesh yet, but that might move up the list to replace one of those.

The Talhoffer maintains much of that thickness with a gradual taper yet has a superb balance. If you're considering one, I strongy recommend it.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Lance K.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks very nice, though I must say I'm disappointed to see the simplified cross guard. I felt the details which are missing accounted for a lot of its character.

This is what I'm refereing too, which is similar to the details on the Viceroy.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance K. wrote:
Looks very nice, though I must say I'm disappointed to see the simplified cross guard. I felt the details which are missing accounted for a lot of its character.

Keep this in mind: detail = $$$. Happy If they had included the extra detail, then at the very least it would have changed the labor costs involved in the sword. It would have added an extra face/angle and some other things that would likely have resulted in more time being spent finishing the parts. Time = $$$ after all. it may have made it more difficult/time-consuming to cast or make the molds, etc., too.

Also, if the NG has so much detail, what's the incentive to upgrade to the future Museum Line version? That's likely marketing strategy at work. Happy

I'm not trying to stick up for Albion or speak for them. I'm just applying what they've told me in the past in different situations and trying to make (somewhat) logical deductions/guesses.

With of without the extra details, it's too expensive for me to ever be able to afford.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Lance K. wrote:

Keep this in mind: detail = $$$. Happy If they had included the extra detail, then at the very least it would have changed the labor costs involved in the sword. It would have added an extra face/angle and some other things that would likely have resulted in more time being spent finishing the parts. Time = $$$ after all. it may have made it more difficult/time-consuming to cast or make the molds, etc., too.

Also, if the NG has so much detail, what's the incentive to upgrade to the future Museum Line version? That's likely marketing strategy at work. Happy

I'm not trying to stick up for Albion or speak for them. I'm just applying what they've told me in the past in different situations and trying to make (somewhat) logical deductions/guesses.

With of without the extra details, it's too expensive for me to ever be able to afford.

Never say never Chad, you used to think you would never own an Edward III....

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

Never say never Chad, you used to think you would never own an Edward III....

True. Maybe I should say: If my income level doesn't change significantly, and I don't win the lottery, and I don't find a hell of a deal on a used one, I'll never be able to afford one. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Derek Wassom

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine came!

Despite a mangled box with two large boot prints on it, my Munich arrived safe and sound.

Attachment: 33.01 KB
print.JPG

Attachment: 69.59 KB
hilt.JPG

Regards,
Derek Wassom
Luegisland Scholar
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Derek,
Is that the standard campaign brown color, or something custom? I'd like mine to have a golden-brown grip leather (with blued or blackened fittings), and the official Albion photos look much more like a neutral grey brown. Other photos have varied, which isn't surprising given both the potential for wide differences in the dye process and in photography. Yours shows up on my screen as more or less what I would like for my grip though, which is why I ask.

Congrats on the new blade!
-GLL

Last edited by Gabriel Lebec on Fri 06 Apr, 2007 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Derek Wassom

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yep, That's the "campaign worn" light brown. The picture came out looking a little more orange than it is.
Regards,
Derek Wassom
Luegisland Scholar
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Derek Wassom wrote:
Yep, That's the "campaign worn" light brown. The picture came out looking a little more orange than it is.

My Sovereign has the same nice campaign colour, or at least close enough for it to not matter. Wink

Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An update: due to the number of requests we received to go a little further, we are now offering the Munich with the full "Gothic" grip treatment...

More here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...photos.htm
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...xviiib.htm

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, in case anyone wants to know what the original sword's hilt looks like before they place their order, here it is:

Derek Wassom

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks awesome, Howy! I think it will be hard to justify me having two Munichs, though... Eek!
Regards,
Derek Wassom
Luegisland Scholar

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Munich (x2)
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: