Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Battle re-enactment or medieval feast in US or Canada Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John Atherton

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Battle re-enactment or medieval feast in US or Canada         Reply with quote

Hello all,

This is my first post. I have been reluctant to join as I know so little compared to everyone here. I apologize if I seem a bit amateurish.

I have a real attraction for the medieval period, as I’m sure all here do and I was wondering if anyone new of a place in the US or Canada (preferably) that hosts the battle re-enactment (or similar events). Frankly, I have never been to one and would also like to know what it’s like. Do you play a role in the battles? How real is it? Is equipment or costume provided? Does anyone get hurt? Is there a feast? Is it only men who go or do women also attend these events?

I’m thinking of gathering a group of friends this spring or summer.

Thanks in advance!

John Atherton
James Barker

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John

There is stuff everywhere. The SCA does all of this but in not authentic. Some living history groups do this stuff but are small.

The real question is where are you at?

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
John Atherton

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi James,

Thanks for replying. I am currently located in Canada, specifically Montreal. I can travel though.

JA
P Ballou

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about Medieval Times? They have a location in Toronto. I've never been to one of their shows, but a friend who went to the one in Los Angeles said they are pretty spectacular and a lot of fun for the whole family. Their web site is http://www.medievaltimes.com/index2.htm . They even have a web page for "career opportunities"!

Phil
John Atherton

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

I've been to Medieval Times 4X and love it!

It's a great show but sadly, over within a couple of hours. It would be nice to find a full day or 2 day event that is similar to it.

Thank you for replying!
JA
Donald Taylor

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Atherton wrote:
Hi Phil,

I've been to Medieval Times 4X and love it!

It's a great show but sadly, over within a couple of hours. It would be nice to find a full day or 2 day event that is similar to it.

Thank you for replying!
JA

I'm not aware of any living history groups in Canada, though I am quite sure there would be an SCA group in Montreal. I have been active in the SCA for the past 2 years. The combat is far from being accurate but it is still loads of fun. The combat is only a small part of it though. A lot of people try there best to make anything and everything as they would have in the middle ages. In the larger more active groups they have a lot of workshops on how armor, clothing, food and many other things would have been made in the middle ages. I would suggest you check out some of the events in your area and see if it is for you.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try FireStryker or a forum dedicated to living history. Although the knightly stuff seems to be a bit thinner in the US and Canada than in Europe, its out there. Most events seem to be timelines and not battle recreations. There are a few people that post here who are active, but I don't think any of them are Canadian.

They should come along sooner or later.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Fri 09 Mar, 2007 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never been to this but several folks I know had fun there. http://www.bicolline.org/bataille.html
I don't think these folks do "living history" quality portrayals but some of them might.

There are some fantastic 15th century re-enactors in Quebec. Also a couple terrific armourers: Eric Dube (http://www.armurerieduduche.com/) and Francois L' Archevêque, who may or may not be working with him. Check out the link section for more info on re-enactment groups.

There is a lot of interest in medieval history in Montreal and Quebec in general. You might check the member rolls here. At least a few of the posters are Quebecois and should be able to make suggestions for local activities. Just spend a bit of time looking around. Admittedly, there are a lot of medieval fantasy and performance oriented groups as well. That's pretty common anywhere I think.

Good hunting,

Kel
James Barker

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is from another forum:

Hello to every one,
First of all, excuse my English

So, here it is, the 2007 edition of Val-du-Fort. This year we add an "art and science" competition in the, already busy, scedule

Last year, over 150 persons came to St-Mathieu-du-Parc for the event. It was the first time that a historical-medieval event was held. It was a lot of fun, and the historical accuracy was respectable.

Val-du-Fort is a timeline (500 to 1500) with a special settlement for XVth c. If you need more info, please let me know by e-mail (hpeloquin at yahoo.com)
If you can read french, please visit our site: www.duchedesaxe.org/valdufort

For the inscription, since we don't have an English version, just send me a e-mailwith your:
Names,
e-mail adress,
Reenactment period,
Size of the camp
And the right amount check

It cost 30$can for an adult before june 1st, 40can$ at the gate. It is free for kids 14 or younger.

St-Mathieu is about 20 minutes north of Trois-Rivières (It is between Montréal and Québec) so you have to drive about 2 hours from the canadian/american border.

Don't be shy to ask questions!!!!
Merci
Hugo Péloquin
organisateur
Val-du-Fort

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
John Atherton

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been offline but a warm thanks to Donald, Joe, Kel and James (again)!

The information that everyone has provided is very much appreciated. It will take me some time to sift though the sites and put some thought to the great comments.

Thanks again!
JA

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Battle re-enactment or medieval feast in US or Canada
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic