myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "English" Tuck Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: "English" Tuck         Reply with quote

I'm afraid I owe everyone an apology regarding the English Tuck. I bought it about 20 years ago while in from a Dealer. He said that it was English, and I saw no reason to question it.
Recently I was perusing some of my books checking on a few things that I am considering selling, when I found two swords that for all intents and purposes are identical the my tuck. However, they were both listed as being German, probably
South German, and dating about 1500-1550AD. Shortly I found another book, this one in German with another sword, and only time they state that they believe it is North Italian.
Now I haven't contacted MRL, probably won't, since they never paid any attention to anything I said anyway. ButI did feel that I need to pass on the information. Maybe I should have checked closer, but when I bought it I had no intention of reproducing the sword. By the time we got around to it, I had had it so long I never questioned it. For anyone's who is interested, the original has a stiffer blade than the replica, and I have seen some that are heavier and thicker, but probalby now as dhandy. In Leeds there is a beautiful Tuck, triangular, with three deeply hollowed faces, I tried to get a photo, but none of them turned out. Hank

Hank Reinhardt
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of the great joys of getting old is forgetting things/....I left out the name of th book, "Antiche Armi Dal Sec. IX AL XVIII
gia Collezione Odeescalchi" plates 211,213 abd 214.....thats the main one, will find the German one later..Hank

Hank Reinhardt
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting info on that Tuck, Hank. After seeing what Sean Flynt did with his, I think it might be fun to get one. BTW, I like to use the "getting old" excuse from time to time, myself. Laughing Out Loud
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hank,

I am always impressed by your constant work to make this area of medieval history accurate! Tucks have always fascinated me. Thanks again,

Randall
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It was General George Monck who, during the English Civil War, wrote that the average footsoldier should not be issued a rapier as all he will do with it is to abuse it by doing such things as cutting firewood and brush. He recommended " a good stiff tuck" whatever that may have been at that time. If it was a triangular thrusting weapon, I can see why he liked them as they certainly could not be abused in the manner that he said that the rapiers were abused.
Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No need to apologize, Hank! Anybody who's been around this stuff more than 10 minutes understands the fluidity of arms terminology and IDs. I bought the replica with the understanding that the form is German, first quarter of the 16th c. because that's what the most recent scholarhip indicates. Folks who rely on catalog copy alone when deciding whether or not to buy probably don't care about such details, and everybody else does independent research before purchasing. As I mentioned in my review of the estoc, I'm just glad MRL had the guts to reproduce such a unique and relatively esoteric weapon. I'm very pleased with my upgraded version. Big Grin
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "English" Tuck
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic