Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help regripping MRL Classic Medieval Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Feb, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Help regripping MRL Classic Medieval         Reply with quote

Let me start by introducing myself. I have lurked on this forum for awhile now, but haven't posted. It was only recently that I seem to have been taking my sword infatuation to the next level. My interest niche is primarily the swords and armour of the 11th Century Normans.
I recently purchased a 1st Gen Albion Mark Hastings X, and dearly love the sword (though it makes the desire for a Next Gen. that much harder to bear Laughing Out Loud ), however it has inspired me to do a home improvement to an older piece in my collection, an MRL Classic Medieval. I am interested in doing a grip rewrap, and make an period appropriate integral scabbard/belt. However, my leather working experience is fairly limited. I am hoping some of the good people of this forums might have constructive ideas on what I should work on to get my skills up to par for taking on this task. Or should I just dive in, and learn as I go? Ultimately I would like to have the grip and scabbard/belt match, and I think the MRL is a good platform for these renovations. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated...

R. Montague Smith
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 25 Feb, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Robin,

Just dive in! There are some excellent tutorials on rewrapping grips on this site.

To start, check out the following:

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_antique.php
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=5822
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3808
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1814

If you do a search on the forums you will find several examples of scabbard making as well. Check out the Favorites feature and look at the Top Favorites. You'll find lots of DIY threads. Happy

Best of luck!

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are grip wrapping instructions and photos here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_bench_ws_estoc.html

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
There are grip wrapping instructions and photos here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_bench_ws_estoc.html

That article was the one that started me contemplating doing the rewrap. I really liked the way it turned out. I guess I am just nervous about my own abilities.
So are there any articles about leather scabbard making?

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you're nervous, just try it on a 1.25' wooden dowel or scrap lumber first. You'll have lots of chamois, twine and glue to experiment with.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
So are there any articles about leather scabbard making?

Are you talking about an all-leather scabbard like most knife sheaths, or are you thinking of a wooden core covered in leather? There are several people on this site who have made scabbards with a wooden core (myself included), and it really isn't too dificult to get nice results. It does take some patience, though. I blame Aaron Schnatterly (now the scabbard maker for Albion) and this thread for getting me started.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
Are you talking about an all-leather scabbard like most knife sheaths, or are you thinking of a wooden core covered in leather? There are several people on this site who have made scabbards with a wooden core (myself included), and it really isn't too dificult to get nice results. It does take some patience, though. I blame Aaron Schnatterly (now the scabbard maker for Albion) and this thread for getting me started.

-Grey

Actually its the scabbard and grip wrap you did for Josh Warren that also set me to thinking. It seems like MRL swords can really be spiffed up with alittle work and patience. I thought the job you did for him was outstanding...
I am going to get the help of a friend on the scabbard. He has done both wood-core and all-leather. He personally doesn't prefer wood-core, as he has fallen on them and snapped a few during live steel fighting. But since my my fighting is done with rattan, and I I will be using this sword to complement my garb, a wood-core is probably better since it will protect better. I was once a cabinet maker many years ago, so woodwork I am not afraid of, leather is another thing though. Also, my friend hasn't done a grip wrap before, so that part will be new to both of us.
I really want to practice making the scabbard for the MRL, before I set off trying to make one for my Albion Hastings. My Hastings has no scabbard so I am reluctant to take it anywhere. But of course such a beautiful sword needs a beautiful scabbard to house it....

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin,
Both Pamela and Greyson have done great jobs rewrapping grips and have done nice write-ups in the threads posted. If I were you, I'd do like Sean suggested and try it first on a wooden dowel if you are worried. Of course, if it doesn't work out to your liking on the sword, there is always the ol' "give her one more shot".:}

If you're making a scabbard strictly for dress, you will be much happier with a wood-core. Your bud has a very good point about all leather in re-enactment use, but it sounds like that isn't an issue here. Don't be afraid of the leather working. Just take your time and do what comes natural. Use good 2-3 oz. tooling kip leather, keep it damp while you are sewing the edges and remember to burnish it gently with bone or smooth hardwood as it dries and you will have a great finish to dye with. If you decide to tool it, do that after it's sewn on over the wood. Peter Johnsson made a wonderful drawing on how to do a historical scabbard which Patrick Kelly posted here at one time. I'm sure a search would bring it up. It helped me a LOT. Best of luck on both projects!

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Actually its the scabbard and grip wrap you did for Josh Warren that also set me to thinking.

Greg Griggs wrote:
Both Pamela and Greyson have done great jobs rewrapping grips and have done nice write-ups in the threads posted.

Thank you both; I'm flattered. Really, though, too much credit should not go to me. I am neither the first nor the best to do grips or scabbards.

As for the picture Greg mentioned, it can be found in the following thread (I can't see the picture at the moment, but I think that is a function the security settings on my computer):
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4951

And a copy of the diagram from Oakeshott's Archaeology of Weapons can be found here:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=6348

The drawing by Peter Johnsson is extremely helpful.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help regripping MRL Classic Medieval
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic