Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Albion Ritter is amazing!Product Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 24 Feb, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: My new Albion Ritter is amazing!         Reply with quote

This was somewhat originally posted on the new SBG sword forum and has been heavily modified for myArmoury so it can now be found in 2 places. I hope that's not a problem.

As some on the forum know, I've been waiting for this sword for quite a long while. 16 weeks in fact. This sword represents my first "higher tier" sword purchase.

The ritter interested me primarily because, prior to stumbling upon myArmoury and being introduced to albion swords, I had never seen a sword like this. The cocked hat pommel (oakshott type D) has never been one of history's favorites and certainly has not made its place in many of today's popular films, games, or other means of portrayal of swords. That said, I cannot help admiring a company that takes risks like the making of such an obscure sword and offering it to people like me who are interested. Admittedly, I thought this design was pretty ugly and I quickly passed it up as one of my least favorites. But a few weeks later I was drawn back to it, looking at the style with a new light. I wouldn't say I liked the sword at this point, but it certainly was different...

So after many weeks of ogling, saving money (with the resolve to buy a high end sword), asking questions on this forum, and pacing back in forth over which sword I'd like, I finally decided to go with this little obscurity.

I finally recieved this sword on february 22. I couldn't wait to open up the box. The sword came sandwiched in two places between black foam so that it was insulated against outside blows from the evil ups men Wink . Not that I can complain, the box was in perfect condition, so they aren't as evil as they sometimes are.

Handling

I found this sword to be supurb in terms of handling, for the most part. It was an all out powerhouse with a very blade-oriented center of balance. This balance leads to an almost "heavy" feel to the sword, even though it is relatively light at 2.5 lbs. This heaviness is obviously need needed because it is a type XI. This extra weight near the center of percussion creates a very dangerous momentum that builds up from the combined blade-heftiness and swinging of the sword, especially noticable when one swings it in a figure eight type movement.. The sword is capable of some very descisive cleaving strikes which could most likely shear through maille and cloth to reach the soft, fleshy parts beneath Laughing Out Loud

I picked up one of my shields and began some foot combat drills with this sword. I was not expecting the sword to function as well as it did outside of its equestrian habitat. The blade moves flexibly from guard to thrust to slash to guard to slash etc. I did fond that the sword was a bit strenuous on the wrists, however, and strong arms are my best advice for fighting effectively with this weapon.

I performed a flexibility test as seen below. No problems whatsoever.

All I can say is this is a very stiff blade. Although not thrust oriented obviously, I believe that this sword should have little problem passing through a padded garmet and just maybe some lighter armor. I'd still greatly prefer a cutting movement to a thrusting one on this sword as point control can be a little difficult.

Fit and Finish

After long and hard inspection, I was forced to concluded that I found only 3 things of interest, all of them minor micrometer pittings, and all of which were virtually undetecatble by the eye. I'm not going to subract from that, simply because I had to look for quite some time before I could find anything wrong with its finish. The oxblood handle varies from black to brown to red depending on the sunlight and/or other lighting. I should reiterate what other's have said before and that is, the oxblood grip is not the same color as it appears on the Albion website.The peening is indistinguishable from the beautifully executed pommel. The tip is even and spatulate with no flaws of any kind. The entire sword blade is sharp and the sharpness factor did not vary from any part. The fuller is straight and even with zero deviation and ends gradually at around 2/3 the length.

Here are a few pictures that pertain to these traits that I previously mentioned:

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/180/ritterhandks5.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5913/ritterhilthj8.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8275/ritterprofilext8.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4596/ritterpommelfq3.jpg

Structural Integrity

This sword is not rattly at all. the Riter is as solid as a rock. The hilt furtniture grips the tang very well. Everything is wonderfully evened out and there is no shoddy workmanship here! Admittedly I have been timid in performing and tests the involve blade contact, however I have sheared the twigs in leaves off of many a tree with no markings on the sword. I attribute this to the swords flattened oval cross section that makes for a vicious cut.

During dry handling the I can find no faults in the sword whatsoever that pertain to how well it is built. Simply put, this swod is a tank with the beauty and elegance of a true histroical replica.

Final Impressions

I can think of no other company that offers such a wonderful example of this style of sword. The handling is, simply put, what a true medieval replica should be. One is hard pressed to find ANYTHING scathing to say about albion's masterpiece. Without a doubt, I would not hesitate for one moment about purchasing this sword again. In 20/20 hindsight, this may have been one of my best purchases. it is well worth the $700 I paid (it is now $777 due to the recent price increase), and I truly have no qualms with it.
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sat 24 Feb, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i purchased this sword for my grandfather (whos last name is RITTER) and i found it to be one of Albions best handling swords...
i like the grip color you choose, very classy.....
im sure if you cut with it you will find it very pleasing...
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Feb, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got Albion's other Type XI, the Hospitaller, and I feel pretty much the same about it. That was also my first high-end purchase, and I was equally pleased by it. I've had plenty of time to do some cutting with it, and let me tell you, it works extremely well!

Hope you get as much enjoyment out of this as I've gotten out of my Hospitaller!

Max
Matt G

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 24 Feb, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Grayson!

I know from your past posts you put a lot of thought and effort into making this purchase. Good to see it all come together for you and great that you are more than pleased with you new acquisition. I hope it serves you well.

"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannon-balls and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today."

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Feb, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new Ritter, and thanks for the mini-review. I especially like this photo:

because of the clear view it provides of the proportions of the pommel in profile.
Sigh. So many swords on my wish list, so little time and money. Sad

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Grayson C.

PostPosted: Sun 25 Feb, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

I thought this might also be of interest:

Firstly, the sword's grip is a little small for my gigantic hands. It does cause a bit of rubbing for me aroubd the base of my palm on just aftrer the first knuckles on my first two fingers. Personally, I find myself liking this oddly enough because it gives you the feel that there is something powerful in your hand and the slight "indian burns" (for lack of a more politically correct term Wink ) serve only to bolster this.

If, however, you don't like the slight pain, which I'd imagine msot people would not, I found that wereing a glove (my fencing glove, for that matter) relieved the pain perfectly and still provided a decent grip on the sword.

Also, I did a bit of cutting with the sword today. It was more precision testing than actually cutting, if you understand. I tested how well the sword followed my movements by neatly clipping individual leaves from a wild coffee plant while they were still on the tree. I never missed and each leaf was neatly cut in half. I'm SURE this has little to do on my part, but more to do with how outstandingly the sword conforms to your movements.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Feb, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Grayson C. wrote:
... the sword's grip is a little small for my gigantic hands....

Not to worry, Grayson. There are countless folks on this site that would be happy to relieve you of the pain, it you want to part with the sword! Laughing Out Loud

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 25 Feb, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Grayson C. wrote:
Thanks everyone.

I thought this might also be of interest:

Firstly, the sword's grip is a little small for my gigantic hands. It does cause a bit of rubbing for me aroubd the base of my palm on just aftrer the first knuckles on my first two fingers. Personally, I find myself liking this oddly enough because it gives you the feel that there is something powerful in your hand and the slight "indian burns" (for lack of a more politically correct term Wink ) serve only to bolster this.

If, however, you don't like the slight pain, which I'd imagine msot people would not, I found that wereing a glove (my fencing glove, for that matter) relieved the pain perfectly and still provided a decent grip on the sword.

Also, I did a bit of cutting with the sword today. It was more precision testing than actually cutting, if you understand. I tested how well the sword followed my movements by neatly clipping individual leaves from a wild coffee plant while they were still on the tree. I never missed and each leaf was neatly cut in half. I'm SURE this has little to do on my part, but more to do with how outstandingly the sword conforms to your movements.

Grayson,

I'm just wondering; what sort of grip do you use? Might a grip where you palm the pommel a bit work to alleviate the chafing? There has been some discussion about the small size of Viking grips, and how they probably also gripped part of the pommel. I think there might be some pretty in-depth descriptions of this sort of grip.

If you're already doing this, then ignore my comment!

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Grayson C.

PostPosted: Sun 25 Feb, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@Steve: No way, I love the sword to much to part with it Laughing Out Loud !!!

@Richard: I know there are different sorts of grips, and I've tried all that I know of out. I typically use the hammer grip without choking up so much on the crossguard, so the grip is in the middle between the pommel and guard.

I tried the viking handshake grip but I didn't find it comfortable to use with the ritter. NO pain though, I just felt uncoordinated. I tried all of the grips suggested on the review page, though the one where you grip the pommel with your pinky doesn't seem to help as much as gripping it closer to the pommel.

Overall, I think I've going to stay with my original grip where my hand is equally between the pommel and guard. Seems the most effective in my opinion.

Bsides, the callouses will come.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 25 Feb, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Congratulations on your new Ritter, and thanks for the mini-review. I especially like this photo:
because of the clear view it provides of the proportions of the pommel in profile.
Sigh. So many swords on my wish list, so little time and money. Sad

Here's another one, though without the hand for reference. It's from our hands-on review:

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Sun 25 Feb, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I never liked the look of the Ritter but when I had one here for my Round Table I was blown away by it's handling characteristics. This sword is very, very lively for it's blade type. I don't quite get why you feel it's blade heavy. I thought it was far from that in fact. Anyway, I guess we all have different perceptions.

Congradulations on a very fine blade. Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Grayson C.

PostPosted: Sun 25 Feb, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh it is extremely lively!

But by blade heavy I mean it has authority when it cuts, compared to something whose balance point is like 2 or three inches closer to the hilt. The ritter's is pretty far away, granting amazing cutting ability. (not necessarily implying that swords with close balance points are poor cutters, of course.)

Anyway, up next is a scabbard that I'm planning on making. I need to gather materials first though Happy
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Grayson C. wrote:
Oh it is extremely lively!

But by blade heavy I mean it has authority when it cuts, compared to something whose balance point is like 2 or three inches closer to the hilt. The ritter's is pretty far away, granting amazing cutting ability. (not necessarily implying that swords with close balance points are poor cutters, of course.)

Anyway, up next is a scabbard that I'm planning on making. I need to gather materials first though Happy

Ah, now I see what you mean. Then I agree that it has great blade presence for effective cutting. Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Grayson C.

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yup. Blade heavy is certainly not meant to be used negatively at all in my review. I found that aspect to be one of the most appealing traits of the sword besides overall aesthetics. Could you imagine if the center of gravity were places 2, 3, or even 4 inches (*gasp*) closer?
Darwin Todd

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: The Ritter rocks!         Reply with quote

Between the last two Blade shows and a trip to Albions shop about a year and a half ago, I have handled most of Albions lineup, and I have to say that after the Knight the Ritter is my favorite Albion sword in terms of handling. I was very suprised at how manuverable and fast it was for a sword of it's type and blade length. Congratulations on a fine sword Grayson!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Albion Ritter is amazing!Product Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic