Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Late Lancers armours. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Late Lancers armours.         Reply with quote

Hello guys.
Sorry for bothering again with lancers armours, but i have several questions about peascod breastplated armours, and some kinds of pauldrons. Since that kind of armour with such pauldron config are my favourite ones i was collecting photos of them, but the earliest i have seen was around 1540. Yesterday i finished to read Osprey´s book Landsknetchs, and it said something about Maximilian style armours, and then it said that the style started to go out of fashion since the appearance of peascod armours in 1530.

When did peascod armours first appeared?
When did the pauldron style-pattern-shape of the photos first appeared?
Did Lancer heavy cavalry men-at-arms truly used those armours in warfare, or those were pistoleers armours?
And finally, Were horse armours like the one of the photo (With rear protectionand plainer) used in warfare during later XVI century, or they were mostly parade armours?

Thanks.

Attachment: 55.98 KB
caballero.jpg

Attachment: 38.88 KB
Italian harness1.jpg
I guess it could be a half armour, but there are armours like this with legs and sabatons.

Attachment: 16.45 KB
i armour normal_bgrandy_nymet_blackarmor1.jpg

¨Sólo me desenvainarás por honor y nunca me envainarás sin gloria¨
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have moved this topic to the Historic Arms Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of reproduction and authentic historical arms and armour from various cultures and time periods"

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rodolfo;

I'll see if I'm understanding your question properly here.

To begin with, the pauldrons as generally thought of in the later-16th Century were pretty well developed with Maximilian armours from the 1510's, I would say. Cimplete with haute-pieces, too.

Secondly, what is generally considered to be the "Peascod" form of breastplate really doesn't appear on the scene until well after 1550. There are some moves towards it, with the central point in the breastplate seen around that time, but the over-hanging pouch/belly of the true "Peascod" doesn't really come into the fore until the 1570's or so, just as with civilian doublet fashions. And by that time, the pauldron was indeed quite fully developed.

Per your lower photo of the black and white armour, note the hole in the breastplate in the right-hand side "white" stripe. I would venture to guess that it is for a lance arrét, just like the photo posted above (top) has. It was therefore made for use with a lance, though that of course doesn't preclude the use of pistols as well. (Note also that the right pauldron is also cut away to facilitate the use of the lance.) In general, armours with full greaves and sabatons were still made for the gendarmerie, who were (generally) still (as of 1580 or so) attached to the Lance.

(There is the outside possibility that the hole is rather for a plackart or reinforcing plate to be attached to the breastplate, making it not only pistol-proof but perhaps even musket-proof, but I'm not convinced that it is for this purpose, but rather for the lance arrét instead. The fact that the pauldron is cut away for using a lance rather helps in this, I believe. Cool )

Per horse armours, the use of the crupper armour was pretty well abandoned by late in François I's reign. The hommes d'armes of a compagnie d'ordonnance was still required to provide himself with the peytral (breastplate) and chamfron (head protection) for his warhorse into the 1570's, but that seems to have been honoured more in the breach than in the practice by then.

I hope that this answers your questions?

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Were the flanchards ever particularly popular in the first place? I thought they came up mostly in the armors of the great nobles, while the ordinary gentlemen and men-at-arms were only required to have (and only cared to have) frontal portection for their horses.
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Were the flanchards ever particularly popular in the first place? I thought they came up mostly in the armors of the great nobles, while the ordinary gentlemen and men-at-arms were only required to have (and only cared to have) frontal portection for their horses.

As I recall the flanchards were part of the required equipments for the homme d'armes of each lance up to the late 1530's, when the requirement was dropped. But it could well be one of those requirements which were more honoured in the breech than in the fulfillment. Period iconography certainly shows most of the gendarmerie fully equipped with flanchards, etc., but that doesn't necessarily coincide with reality, either.

In the 1570's, the compagnie d'ordonnance requirement of an homme d'armes for the peytral and chamfron was changed to merely his promise to aquire it "soon".

Cheers!

Gordon

Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the useful info. As a requirement for horse barding, if a lord, or man-at-arms had enough money and a good horse, could he equip his horse with flanchards and croupiere armour by his own choice, or it was forbidden?

Thanks

P.D.

Do you know how the situation of lancer men-at-arms was in other countries like Italy and Germany, since Spain droped the lance around 1600 but used both pistoleers and lancers?

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since most of Italy was under Spanish domination at the time, I would expect that the Spanish ordnances would cover most Italian troops, other than those of the Papal States and Venice. Italy was pretty much left to it's own devices after the end of the Habsburg-Valois Wars, with their soldiers mostly being in the employ of others. One could make an argument about most of the Venetian energies being spent on Naval matters after 1550 or so, too.

From my understanding of it, German nobility tended to be rather less wealthy than their French counterparts, and thus complete barding on their horses was more rare among them. I am unaware of any system of ordnances in place in the Holy Roman Empire, which did not have any sort of standing army at the time, so any such demands for armour would be subject to either Imperial edict for a campaign, or a mecenary captain's contractual requirements.

I can't see anywhere that an archier or coustillier would be forbidden to have armour for his horse, but if he had that much money, he'd probably be promoted to the rank of homme d'armes pretty quickly, I would imagine. Often as not it was lack of equipment (i.e. money to purchase it with) that kept men in lower ranks, rather than experience or ability. Blaise de Monluc complained that when he first went to war, he was forced by poverty to enlist as a mere archier,, but is quick to note that "in those days" such a rank was perfectly honourable for a gentleman of humble means.

Cheers!

Gordon

Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
From my understanding of it, German nobility tended to be rather less wealthy than their French counterparts, and thus complete barding on their horses was more rare among them. I am unaware of any system of ordnances in place in the Holy Roman Empire, which did not have any sort of standing army at the time, so any such demands for armour would be subject to either Imperial edict for a campaign, or a mecenary captain's contractual requirements.

There's actually a modern conjecture that the German wedge formation was meant to cope with this situation. The general opinion is that the most heavily-armored men-at-arms formed the first ranks of the wedge in order to provide better shock power, but it's also possible that this was done to protect the less well-armored rear ranks from harm.

BTW, Rodolfo, the flanchard is probably the "crupper armor" you're talking about, if what you mean is the pieces of armor covering the horse's flanks and hindquarters. And as far as I know there has never been any laws or ordinances forbidding men to have more armor than they were supposed to have. If anything, there were many mercenary contracts stipulating that the men would have so much extra pay for so many extra pieces of armor above the requirements, giving them an incentive to procure such armor.
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's actually a modern conjecture that the German wedge formation was meant to cope with this situation. The general opinion is that the most heavily-armored men-at-arms formed the first ranks of the wedge in order to provide better shock power, but it's also possible that this was done to protect the less well-armored rear ranks from harm.

Lafayette;

Ah! That makes a great deal of sense! It certainly has been suggested that in the era of Reiter cavalry this was the case, as the "poorer stuff" was generally sequestered in the rear ranks. Thanks for posting that one.

Cheers!

Gordon

Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Sun 11 Mar, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW, Rodolfo, the flanchard is probably the "crupper armor" you're talking about, if what you mean is the pieces of armor covering the horse's flanks and hindquarters. And as far as I know there has never been any laws or ordinances forbidding men to have more armor than they were supposed to have. If anything, there were many mercenary contracts stipulating that the men would have so much extra pay for so many extra pieces of armor above the requirements, giving them an incentive to procure such armor

Thank you very much guys, i was really curious about the employment of such parts of armour since their abolition and why not still use them if you are wealthy enough. Since the mention of German wealth and their armours, Did German men-at-arms had another style of armour like the Maximilian, or the Greenwich, Spanish (Wich i don´t know its name) and Italian were the predominant ones wich absorved the old German style?

Thanks

Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:

Ah! That makes a great deal of sense! It certainly has been suggested that in the era of Reiter cavalry this was the case, as the "poorer stuff" was generally sequestered in the rear ranks. Thanks for posting that one.

Heck? Really? Then that'd strengthen the other conjecture about the genetic relationship between the wedge and the reiters' deep formation!
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again.
Sorry to bother again, but, do you know of any man-at-arms, lord, or historical character who used that style of armour with the full armoured horse as a lancer in the later XVI century?

Thanks.

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
Hello again.
Sorry to bother again, but, do you know of any man-at-arms, lord, or historical character who used that style of armour with the full armoured horse as a lancer in the later XVI century?

Thanks.

The duc de Guise, the duc de Joyeuse, his brother the duc de Mayenne (both of the House of Guise), and a large contingent of their followers in the Royal compagnies d'ordonnance, I would imagine. At the Battle of Coutras in 1587, the duc de Joyeuse's gendarmes were purported to be the finest armed and accoutred force that had been seen in years, and as the wording was still on the books for the homme d'armes of each lance to armour his horse with at least peytral and chamfron, I would imagine that many of them did so, with most of the Great Lords probably being on fully barded horses. (I am however just guessing at this aspect, but the accounts do suggest a high percentage of high-quality accoutrements being represented by the Catholic forces, especially among the Great Lords and High Nobles present in the front rank.)

I'm not positive at all, but I would imagine that Henri of Navarre was seen on a fully barded horse more than once during his campaigns. But since he was usually in the saddle by 5AM, and in it all day long, I doubt that he would have encumbered his horses with such impediments very often. Besides, the Huguenots were known to be rather poor by the later years of the French Wars of Religion, and even the term "á la huguenotte" meant "on the cheap", so it wouldn't be likely that many of his followers were so accoutred.

Cheers!

Gordon

Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, but, since i was a bit curious about reiter cavalry and pistolers, Do you know if lancers ever defeated mounted pistolers?

Thanks

P.D.
What is a musket proof plate?

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rodolfo;

Per your first question, at least according to Sir Roger Williams, it was a pretty regular occurance. Cool But certainly it happened at the Battle of Mookerheyde in 1574, when the Dutch Pistoliers drove in the Spanish Horsed Arquebusiers, but were then hit by the Spanish Heavy Horse with their lances while in the process of reloading. Not a pretty sight, which lead to the destruction and total defeat of the Dutch forces present. Williams suggests that this was indeed the proper time to engage Pistoliers with your Lancers, while they busy are reloading. Makes sense, if you can arrange the timing properly. Confused

"Musket Proof Plate" means plate armour (as opposed to maille) that has been proven, or is "proof" against the shot of a musket at fairly close range. It's heavy stuff, and usually only the very best armours were musket proof, and of those, at best the breastplate (or a plastron which was fitted over the breastplate) and helmet would be so proofed. Since a heavy musket fired a lead round ball of approximately 16mm or better at approximately 600 meters per second, it was pretty stout armour to resist it at close range. Luckily round ball looses its velocity pretty quickly, so at much over 150 meters you'd be fairly safe in even pistol-proof armour.

Cheers!

Gordon

Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Williams suggests that this was indeed the proper time to engage Pistoliers with your Lancers, while they busy are reloading. Makes sense, if you can arrange the timing properly

Sure, makes sense at all. Happy

So, Seems that lancers couldn´t score as well as pistoleers? Was that battle the last time where reiters were defeated by gendarmes?

Thanks

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really don't know the last time that "Lancers" defeated "Pistoliers". Williams said that "I was often in their company (Reiters) when they ran away from Launtiers in large groups and small". He doesn't state exactly when these occasions were, however, other than being prior to the publication of his work (1590).

There is a LOT of stuff that happened in Eastern Europe, especially between the Poles and the Swedes, during the 16th and 17th Centuries that is beyond my ken. The Polish Hussars were all Lancers (with pistols as secondary weapons), and definitely defeated the Swedes a number of times. But whether those Swedes were actually of the same calibre troops and arming as Reiters were, I'm not certain. I know that when real Cuirassiers hired in Germany went up against the Poles, things were different. Danlel Staberg has a much better knowledge of all of that than I do, though, so if he weighs in here I'm sure he will have excellent information for you on that score.

But an enormous amount of "Who beats Who" has more to do with the generalship of the commanders and the moral of their followers, rather than simply the arms and armour they are using. There was a continuing discussion by both theorists and soldiers from the 1550's through even in to the middle-years of the 17th Century as to which manner of arming (pistols or lances) was superior. Mookerheyde convinced many that Lancers would generally defeat Pistoliers. Coutras, Ivry and Tournhout convinced most however that Pistoliers could meet Lancers on even terms, and would defeat them. So most Western armies dropped the Lance by the early years of the 17th Century, but it held firm in the East, and proved victorious in the hands of the Poles on many occasions there-after, well into the 18th and even the 19th Centuries.

Cheers!

Gordon

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Late Lancers armours.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic