Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Two Handed Sword with a Mid-Blade Grip Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Charles T.

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: A Two Handed Sword with a Mid-Blade Grip         Reply with quote

I'm currently looking for any historical reference for a two handed sword 5-6' in length that possessed a mid blade grip, crossguard and heavy counterweighted pommel. I have found countless examples of a grip that is extended past the hilt via wrapped leather or unsharpened exposed steel before meeting with another set of bladed quillons or the beginnings of the actual blade. what i 'm actually questioning is the existence of a MID-Blade grip providing one side of the area beyond the hilt with an un=sharpened or covered edge while still giving the reverse side a full edge. Hopefully the following macro may provide some help with my description, as i'm sick right now and probably not providing the best visual.

|
====+__________o-----------------------\
====+________________________/
|

Obviously thebladed would not be as wide as assumed above, and would follow the weapons of the time period. My question comes into Historicalfeasibilityy, and Examples. If such a two handed weapon were to exist would it's use die out due todifficultyy of use, difficulty of manufacture, orimpracticalityy in war. And if so, were there any examples of such an experimented weapon being used among the same times when massive two handed weapons were implemented, as a means of speeding up the blade and working such a huge weapon into more close quarters combat.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

There are two kinds of light, the Glow that Illuminates, and the Glare that Obscures.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Charles,
Hello and welcome to myArmoury.com. Happy These weapons have been discussed before. Please see here for more info:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3053

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Two Handed Sword with a Mid-Blade Grip
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic