Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Not Excalibur ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dewey H.

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Feb, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Not Excalibur ?         Reply with quote

Ok everybody this is another fact and picture collecting post I am looking for all info on swords of the British and Welsh from the 5th to the 7th century. I seem to be having a hard time locating pictures and designs of this great time with out having to filter though all of King Arthur and his famous swords links. I am hoping that some one has been though this and would like to share there research. I have looked though many posts and feel this time I need to ask. If you know of posts on this subject please let men know.
Thank you
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Feb, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you looked at Arthur and the Anglo-Saxon Wars by David Nicolle (in the Osprey Men-at-Arms series)? This book provides a broadbrush history of the era, but also some limited description of the weapons used during the time period of your interest. The book provides the attached illustration of early Irish sword types, and states that Welsh weapons were probably similar.

Attachment: 93.15 KB
Early Irish Swords b.jpg

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Dewey H.

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Feb, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yes Steve that is one of the sources that got meon this path from there I went on to read King of the Celts by Jean Markale. With in this book "King of the Celts" n chapter 4 A "Dewi" a historical figure with my family name. I found a refreinnc to "Dewi" a name that I feel my family name may have orignenated from. I was hoping to expand my research further than what I have found. The time and the warfare of these people inspire me know. What were the wariers like that followed Arthur and what did they carry. I belive these men would have collected or were gifted with the prizes of war and that the equipment and swords they caried would be that of what was taken from there enemys. However I would like to know if there was anything that they made and we know they made.
Thank you for your reply

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Not Excalibur ?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic