Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Irish spadroon Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Irish spadroon         Reply with quote

I wonder if anybody has more information on the Irish spadroon at the bottom left of this picture?

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/download.php?id=12607

I'm wondering whether it was a customized personal item or a production model, and its provenance in either case. Or perhaps an enlargement of the text in the picture. Wink
D Critchley

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Irish spadroon         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
I wonder if anybody has more information on the Irish spadroon at the bottom left of this picture?

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/download.php?id=12607

I'm wondering whether it was a customized personal item or a production model, and its provenance in either case. Or perhaps an enlargement of the text in the picture. Wink

Ugly thing isn't it. I think it has to be a customised piece based on a standard boatshell

David C

"The purpose of the cavalry on the battlefield is to give tone to an event that otherwise might be considered a common brawl"
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have attached a close-up of the spadroon:

Jonathan

Attachment: 47.31 KB
From Neumann's "Swords and Blades of the American Revolution" [ Download ]
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the photograph has little enough detail that I'm willing to give it the benefit of doubt and say it might be beautiful to see close up. But if not, I'm still interested in seeing a closer shot of the customization--if any are available. Even if it's not necessarily beautiful as it is I'm sure the design idea is amenable to some...er..."beautification" if I should consider ordering a custom replica loosely based on it.
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oops. Sorry, Jonathan--I replied before your reply came up. Thanks for the close-up!
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have always liked this sword, so I would love to see it recreated. Is this a project you would pursue on your own? If not, who would you consider to make one for you?

Jonathan
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't thought about it, but I'd probably take one among those recommended to me in the previosu spadroon thread. Old Dominion Forge or A&A are the first possibilities although I'm also considering Tim Harris's offer.

And still saving the money for the whole thing! Wink
George Hill

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally I think it's rather nice looking. I have a windlass stainless number like this, and whilst I wouldn't hit anything with it, it being stainless, I must confess the balace is wonderful for such an inexpencive peice.
To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
Personally I think it's rather nice looking. I have a windlass stainless number like this, and whilst I wouldn't hit anything with it, it being stainless, I must confess the balace is wonderful for such an inexpencive peice.

Interesting. Do you have a model # for the piece, a time frame when you came into it and possibly a picture?

I was unaware Windlass used stainless steel at all and I am always on the lookout for spadroon reproductions. Is it maybe more of a smallsword hilt and blade?

Cheers

GC
D Critchley

PostPosted: Sun 11 Feb, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:

I can't see the attraction myself, it just seems an amalgum of 2 traditional styles (below) that don't really fit together. Probably quite functional , but not pretty.

Attachment: 104.65 KB
DSCF5906.JPG

David C

"The purpose of the cavalry on the battlefield is to give tone to an event that otherwise might be considered a common brawl"
George Hill

PostPosted: Sun 11 Feb, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
George Hill wrote:

Interesting. Do you have a model # for the piece, a time frame when you came into it and possibly a picture?

I was unaware Windlass used stainless steel at all and I am always on the lookout for spadroon reproductions. Is it maybe more of a smallsword hilt and blade?

They don't call it that mind you. It just looks like the same thing. They called it the 1840 NCO sword. I

http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/images/500350.JPG

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 11 Feb, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi George,

Thanks for that. I don't think those are stainless, as many of the vendors offer it as a sharp. Windlass does sell some stainless, as in their approved military patterns, I was forgetting about those.

I've always thought it a bit of a stretch to classify the M1840 NCO as a spadroon but it does vaugely fit the classification. With a cast hilt and kidney guards, I guess having a fullered straight light blade makes it look similar to the sword discussed. There are several levels of quality in the reproductions of these 1840s. Windlass at least did this model a bit better than Deepeeka.

Cheers

GC
Tim Harris
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 11 Feb, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neumann notes that the hilt is silver, so my guess would be that it was an officer's custom job. I can't imagine it standing up to much combat.

I've done an approximate reproduction of this as a personal project - in steel. It turned out to be a handy fighting weapon, and offers quite good hand protection.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 11 Feb, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that part of the attraction with this sword, at least for me, is that it is Irish. There are probably a number of swords that originate from Ireland, but it seems that verifiable examples are rare. The few Irish swords I have seen (which are limited to books and websites) are similar enough to English examples, but have a certain character that distinguishes them as unique.

I think that the sword is (or was) in George Neumann's collection. His book, Swords and Blades of the American Revolution, came out in 1973. I think a 35th anniversary color edition would be fantastic (40th might be more of a milestone, but that would push my fantasy of a re-release too far into the future). I suppose I should start saving my pennies in case Neumann's collection ever comes up for public auction.

Jonathan

PS--Thanks for the additional photos, David.

PPS--Tim, any chance you could share a photo of your re-creation of the Irish spadroon?
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Mon 12 Feb, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Even if it weren't Irish, the form alone would have attracted me. I second Jonathan's request for some photographs of Tim's reproduction of the sword.
Tim Harris
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 15 Feb, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:

PPS--Tim, any chance you could share a photo of your re-creation of the Irish spadroon?

I'll try to get some decent pics together for you in the next week or so. I stress that mine is approximate, and was done as part of an ongoing investigation into spadroons. I really like that hilt though.

More when I post the pics.

Cheers

Tim

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Irish spadroon
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic