Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Feb 5: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
72%
 72%  [ 37 ]
Very Good
23%
 23%  [ 12 ]
Good
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 51

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Feb 5: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

[ Linked Image ]

The Workbench: An English Tuck (Estoc)
An article by Sean Flynt

[ Linked Image ]
Windlass Steelcrafts English Tuck (Estoc)
A hands-on review by Sean Flynt

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well done Sean, on both articles!!

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fascinating reading for both articles and very useful. The idea of workbench articles is genius I think and I look forward to reading more of this new series.

A twinned article of review and how to of the same piece is a bit like looking under the hood and kicking the tires. Laughing Out Loud

Loved seeing the tang as this is for me THE deal breaker when it looks badly designed. ( Not in this case. )

Congratulation Sean. Cool

Oh, just a question / suggestion / concern: With using the guard as leverage to unscrew the pommel it seems that in this case it was a great idea but I wonder if with a different sword design or " cheap " materials like some zinc / pot metal alloy a guard might bend or break ?

With these kind of things the line between a great idea or a dumb idea can be found only after success or that sinking OOOPS moment after something goes terribly wrong.

In any case it was a great idea this time but I thought I should at least ask the question. Wink Big Grin

I also enjoyed all the other antiquing tips and handle recovering. The photography is also great. ( As usual. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please forgive me! I have to gush this morning. I wish I could place a vote above excellent. I loved the workbench article. And to think it's just the first of a series! I'm looking forward to more.

Sean, excellent job!

Cool Cool Cool

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, folks! We thought this would be a popular new feature. There are many more to come and they're not all from me. I actually think the second one I did is even better. It's a very different subject, and I'm working on one now that's radically different! You'll have to wait and see.... Big Grin The series is open to all authors, so start tinkering!

As for the danger of the leverage idea--I think this concern resolves itself. A sword with a cross long and flimsy enough to bend or break during this process is probably not as solidly built as the average MRL/Windalss piece. The pommel might not be as firmly attached, so you might not need to use a vise anyway. It's something to consider, though. I'd say you just have to go slowly, avoid sudden exertion of force and know when to stop if the pommel doesn't immediately loosen. I find that tapping the pommel with a mallet first really does make a huge difference. You don't have to smash it because all you're doing is shifting the pommel enough to break loose the dried glue. In any case, the main problem is not that the pommel is completely frozen in place. Rather, it's that the pommel is decently glued and too small and smooth to really get a grip on it. I didn't have to exert much force at all once the pommel was firmly held by the vise.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I, too, am looking forward to future entries into the Workbench series. I might need to run to the hardware store this weekend to get some materials to breath some new life into an old Windlass that is collecting dust in the attic. Mabe I'll start with a re-grip..

Thanks, Sean!

Jonathan
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great!Give us more workbench series articles!! Big Grin
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Sean! Happy

Interesting articles. I actually got to see the MRL Tuck in person (didn't get to handle it, though), and I was actually surprised at how nice the piece looked close-up. The photos never did it justice, and perhaps that's one of the reasons that particular model didn't do well. MRL might sell more if they spent a bit more in photography. I think this has been mentioned before, but it's worth repeating.

By the way, I like the idea of the "Workbench" series. Useful information for those of us who like to tackle some minor improvements and other tinkering projects.

Keep 'em coming!

Stay safe!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar
Thomas O'Neal

Reading list: 19 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree with the other comments praising the Workbench article. It has me looking at my MRL falchion in a different light. Sean, you've written a very inspiring piece.

I hope this becomes a regular series. It would be a great addition to an already excellent body of material at myArmoury.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas O'Neal wrote:
It has me looking at my MRL falchion in a different light.

Is it the "German Falchion"? That was my first review here and also one of my first grip re-wrap projects. I didn't do a great job, but it's still better than the orginal wrap. http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1814

Cool sword. If I still had it I'd redo the wrap and do more serious work on the blade. By the way, if you want to work toward the stats of the original and haven't already seen the review, it's here: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_mrl_falc.html

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Matthew K. Shea

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice work on the estoc, Sean. I can tell the Workbench series is going to become an instant favourite of mine. You guys have really outdone yourselves (yet again!).

One question about using shoe polish on the grip: do you find that it tends to rub off with use? I love the idea of being able to wrap a grip myself, and to be able to customize its colour so easily, but I'm worried about it coming off on my hands or gloves.

Proud member of the Academy Of European Medieval Martial Arts.

"Those who live by the sword live a good, long time!"
~Minsc, in Baldur's Gate II
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The workbench series is a fabulous idea, and I loved this first installment. Well done, Sean!

I do have a question that relates to this picture in the article:
[ Linked Image ]
The right side of this photo seems to show a significant overlap in the chamois material while you are winding. I did not notice any remark in the article about how you resolved that overlap. Did you trim the overlap with a knife? Did the cord wrapping simply flatten out and obscure the leather overlap? Or was there another solution?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shoe polish: Just think of your polished shoes. You rub the stuff into the pores, then buff it off. It doesn't come off on your hands but it'll stain the cuff of your white linen suit. I don't think the polished grip would discolor your hands, but it probably could stain a light-colored glove. I assume the dyes in the polish are relatively permanent, so as long as you do a good job of buffing, you should be able to remove the goo and leave the dye. I guess the general rule is just to buff until the cloth shows no sign of stain. The polish will dull over time, especially with use. I don't train with my swords or handle them a great deal, so I can't comment on durability except to say that the surfaces of my grips are very hard and show no sign of problems from casual handling. Pamela has regripped "working" swords using these methods and may want to comment about the durability.

Seam overlap: I overlap my grip seams by .25" to .5", and I make no attempt to keep the edges perfectly straight. The chamois is so thin and the cord does such a good job of compressing the edge and blending that I rarely have to trim things further. I wrap the chamois so that when I hold the weapon my fingers rest on the overlapped material. This prevents me from putting stress on a seam by pulling one edge away from another. The little seams on the risers are not compressed by cord, of course, so before the glue is fully dry I rub those seams with a fingernail or other smooth object to help them blend.

-Sean

Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Pamela has regripped "working" swords using these methods and may want to comment about the durability.

First, giving credit where credit is due, thank you to Sean and Greyson for their advice and inspiration. Happy

And, I sheepishly admit that I didn't always follow their advice, depending on tools at hand and personal ambition or lack thereof. Blush

I have not used shoe polish to dye my grips, though I have used the neutral shade as a protective coating. It seems to hold up fairly well. I used Rit dye to color my chamois before I used it on my grips. The chamois absorbs and holds the dye quite well. My yellow grip picked up the dye from my black gloves. Eek! On leather, I used leather dye bought from a shoe repair shop. That sword hasn't received much use yet so I can't comment on how well the dye will hold up.

I use craft "tacky" glue on my re-grips and it holds up quite well. I haven't had any trouble with the wrap coming loose.

Again, great job Sean.

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Pamela! I usually use Rit dye as well but I was kind of lazy with this grip and didn't let the chamois soak long enough. It looked dark enough when wet but, as you can see, dried much lighter. I should note that it takes very little polish to darken the leather. A little goes a long, long way. I don't know about the craft glue, but if it's holding up well then the carpenter's glue I use should be very strong indeed. This stuff is actually stronger than the wood it's on in some cases, but it's also water soluble, so mistakes don't spell doom for a grip. I've stripped and recovered one grip several times because I kept changing my mind about what I wanted. The chamois came off cleanly and in one piece each time, but I had to pull hard. I take that as a good sign of the method's durability.
-Sean

G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, guys. It's been a while. I just wanted to congratulate you, Sean, on your excellent work. Happy I've long admired MRL's Tuck, so I was glad to see your review and rework of the same. In fact, I was so inspired by your rework of the tuck that I got to thinking about it, and I decided not to sell the old Atrim I posted in the classified just a few days ago. Cool I believe I'll rehilt the old girl, yet. Thanks again.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
I decided not to sell the old Atrim I posted in the classified just a few days ago. Cool I believe I'll rehilt the old girl, yet. Thanks again.

Doh! I depressed the pre-owned sword market! I count on that for bargains! Eek!

Thanks for the kind words! Big Grin

-Sean

G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
G. Scott H. wrote:
I decided not to sell the old Atrim I posted in the classified just a few days ago. Cool I believe I'll rehilt the old girl, yet. Thanks again.

Doh! I depressed the pre-owned sword market! I count on that for bargains! Eek!

Big Grin
True; however, had your rework article come out after I sold the sword, I would have kicked myself for the next six months. Great timing!Laughing Out Loud

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Feb 5: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic